Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is Matt Hancock thick? 14:53 - Sep 24 with 11516 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Why on earth would he rule out the ridiculous idea that students could be banned from returning home for Christmas.

As if any government, even the Tories, would dare ask millions of students to stay the other side of the country and not see their families on Christmas Day. And as if any student would listen and stay at university, some of which will be first year students in halls - potentially very lonely.

So why on earth would he not rule it out? All he’s done by that is scare some students. Already seen two people message in group chats this morning about the horrible idea of being stuck at university for Christmas. It’s just absolute nonsense. I can’t work out what would g through his head to even put the idea into the minds of the public by not ruling it out. Absolute tit. Sorry for yet another bloody rant.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 14:56 - Sep 24 with 3562 viewsuefacup81

It's poorly thought out, but it makes sense.

It would probably be better done on a case-by-case basis, but if you look at what happened with Cheltenham etc., at the start of the pandemic, universities dispersing would be the exact same thing but on an even larger scale.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Yes. (n/t) on 14:58 - Sep 24 with 3543 viewsCoco

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:02 - Sep 24 with 3533 viewsitfcjoe

Because it's probably the right thing to do for the virus, but likely won't happen.

People shouldn't have gone back to uni, it's been done in bad faith as for the majority of courses there's no need to go back

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:09 - Sep 24 with 3499 viewsSteve_M

The government habit of briefing policy proposals to favoured journalists to see what the reaction is is infuriating enough in normal times and downright dangerous in a health crisis.

There is a potential problem with large numbers of people dispersing from areas with concentrated cases of covid to other parts of the country but all this does is increase the likelihood of that happening now as concerned parents drive all round the country to pick up their offspring.

As with most things Covid, an effective system of testing and contact tracing could significantly reduce the risk of having to make such decisions.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:11 - Sep 24 with 3477 viewsusm

We are not a Christian country.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:13 - Sep 24 with 3458 viewsuefacup81

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:11 - Sep 24 by usm

What has that even got to do with the price of fish?

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:14 - Sep 24 with 3449 viewsStokieBlue

Other religions have had their holidays cancelled due to C19 for instance the Bolton lockdown the day before Eid and Jewish family meetings for Rosh Hashanah being banned (they are usually far bigger than 6 people).

Students have already proven to be a huge vector (see cases in Scotland) so returning home to the grandparents might not be the most sensible idea.

It's awful of course but it would be consistent with what has already happened to other religions.

It's not happened yet though so best not worry about it for now.

SB
[Post edited 24 Sep 2020 15:39]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:16 - Sep 24 with 3433 viewsusm

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:13 - Sep 24 by uefacup81

What has that even got to do with the price of fish?

I honourably refer you to StokieBlue's post above.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Login to get fewer ads

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:17 - Sep 24 with 3429 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:02 - Sep 24 by itfcjoe

Because it's probably the right thing to do for the virus, but likely won't happen.

People shouldn't have gone back to uni, it's been done in bad faith as for the majority of courses there's no need to go back

I don’t see how it would be fair though. We get told to go off to uni, so go. The course is then up in the air about what even is face to face learning and then once we’re there would suddenly be told ‘oh and by the way lads you all have to stay here for Christmas’. It just wouldn’t happen - and rightly so.

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:18 - Sep 24 with 3417 viewsElderGrizzly

Bizarrely, the Government (no matter the party) does this a lot.

You float a policy idea in the public to gauge reaction. This one should have been obvious, but it is an intentional move by them, not a mistake.
Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:18 - Sep 24 with 3418 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:14 - Sep 24 by StokieBlue

Other religions have had their holidays cancelled due to C19 for instance the Bolton lockdown the day before Eid and Jewish family meetings for Rosh Hashanah being banned (they are usually far bigger than 6 people).

Students have already proven to be a huge vector (see cases in Scotland) so returning home to the grandparents might not be the most sensible idea.

It's awful of course but it would be consistent with what has already happened to other religions.

SB

I actually did say on here that it’s really awful for those celebrating Eid at the time. Feel free to go back through my profile and find it.

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:19 - Sep 24 with 3399 viewsElderGrizzly

Universities make huge money on accommodation. That is the only reason many have advocated going back.

Many felt they had no choice in the absence of Govt funding
Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:20 - Sep 24 with 3400 viewsStokieBlue

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:18 - Sep 24 by The_Romford_Blue

I actually did say on here that it’s really awful for those celebrating Eid at the time. Feel free to go back through my profile and find it.

No need, if you said that I believe you of course and edited :).

But then I don't understand how you see this as any different? It's entirely consistent with what has happened for other religious holidays when numbers are high.

As I said it's not nice but then neither would be taking C19 back to the grandparents.

SB

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:20 - Sep 24 with 3396 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:18 - Sep 24 by ElderGrizzly

Bizarrely, the Government (no matter the party) does this a lot.

You float a policy idea in the public to gauge reaction. This one should have been obvious, but it is an intentional move by them, not a mistake.

Really? I took it as Hancock just having no smart way to think on his feet with a sensible response.

If he knew the question was coming and still decided to deliberately say that for a reaction then he’s a bigger pillock than I first thought. Not even just for students.. imagine parents of students having Christmas with their kid the other side of the country in a student halls. Bonkers idea.

Yes, yes he is. Very much so. (n/t) on 15:23 - Sep 24 with 3376 viewsBlueBadger

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:23 - Sep 24 with 3370 viewsmikeybloo88

If accommodation owners, unis and private, had offered to return the first term already paid fees rather than hold students rigidly to contracts, maybe more would have decided to study from home and not take their first month maintenance loan. Also, unis didn't rule out some face to face teaching so again, students won't want to miss out on that although it looks now like being minimal. Everything possible has been done to encourage students to go so we can't now blame them...they can of course now try to behave vaguely responsibly.
Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:24 - Sep 24 with 3369 viewsSwansea_Blue

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 14:56 - Sep 24 by uefacup81

It's poorly thought out, but it makes sense.

It would probably be better done on a case-by-case basis, but if you look at what happened with Cheltenham etc., at the start of the pandemic, universities dispersing would be the exact same thing but on an even larger scale.

Yep. People returning to and then leaving Wuhan for the Chinese New Year was a key part of the transmission away from Wuhan. And then half term skiing holidays played a key role in bringing the virus to the UK.

Holiday periods are absolutely critical. So how they manage Christmas and balance it with welfare issues is going to be really important.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:26 - Sep 24 with 3348 viewsKeno

did you really need anything after the title?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:28 - Sep 24 with 3336 viewsStokieBlue

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:20 - Sep 24 by The_Romford_Blue

Really? I took it as Hancock just having no smart way to think on his feet with a sensible response.

If he knew the question was coming and still decided to deliberately say that for a reaction then he’s a bigger pillock than I first thought. Not even just for students.. imagine parents of students having Christmas with their kid the other side of the country in a student halls. Bonkers idea.

Why is it a bonkers idea?

It's an entirely sensible idea, just not a popular idea.

I understand why it will cause outrage but people moving about for Christmas would be a massive vector of transmission at what is likely to be a time of high C19 numbers.

It's a hard one to balance with mental wellbeing but do you honestly think it's sensible for everyone to be going back home to see their extended families?

As has been pointed out though, if the testing system is finally fit for purpose by that point then it shouldn't be needed to even consider any restrictions on Christmas.

SB
[Post edited 24 Sep 2020 15:42]

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:29 - Sep 24 with 3328 viewsMattinLondon

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:11 - Sep 24 by usm

Maybe not, but Christmas still remains a very special place in the calendar minus the religion.
Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:36 - Sep 24 with 3281 viewsitfcjoe

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:14 - Sep 24 by StokieBlue

SB

I think those examples are not relevant as christmas is a national holiday in this country for those of any or no religion

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:37 - Sep 24 with 3263 viewsChrisd

The longer he is in this Health Secretary role, he's gaining less creditability by the day.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:38 - Sep 24 with 3258 viewsStokieBlue

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:36 - Sep 24 by itfcjoe

I think those examples are not relevant as christmas is a national holiday in this country for those of any or no religion

That's true that it's a national holiday for all but the reasoning of not wanting multiple generations of multiple families mixing is exactly the same.

SB

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:43 - Sep 24 with 3238 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:38 - Sep 24 by StokieBlue

That's true that it's a national holiday for all but the reasoning of not wanting multiple generations of multiple families mixing is exactly the same.

SB

So the government could then put a ban on everyone seeing extended families. Don’t just outright ban students from going back to their houses to see their parents on Christmas Day. Huge difference

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:44 - Sep 24 with 3232 viewshampstead_blue

He's not thick. He has made a very sensible and wise decision.

It's a fair decision. There is no big deal in having to spend a couple of extra weeks in halls.
If students are crowing then they ought to stop and think about others first.

If they come home then it's a Covid starburst. Boom.

Maybe the message should for them to think before they complain.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024