Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is Matt Hancock thick? 14:53 - Sep 24 with 11540 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Why on earth would he rule out the ridiculous idea that students could be banned from returning home for Christmas.

As if any government, even the Tories, would dare ask millions of students to stay the other side of the country and not see their families on Christmas Day. And as if any student would listen and stay at university, some of which will be first year students in halls - potentially very lonely.

So why on earth would he not rule it out? All he’s done by that is scare some students. Already seen two people message in group chats this morning about the horrible idea of being stuck at university for Christmas. It’s just absolute nonsense. I can’t work out what would g through his head to even put the idea into the minds of the public by not ruling it out. Absolute tit. Sorry for yet another bloody rant.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Is Matt Hancock thick? (n/t) on 15:44 - Sep 24 with 1316 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

[Post edited 24 Sep 2020 15:44]

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:44 - Sep 24 with 1315 viewsStokieBlue

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:43 - Sep 24 by The_Romford_Blue

So the government could then put a ban on everyone seeing extended families. Don’t just outright ban students from going back to their houses to see their parents on Christmas Day. Huge difference

That is fair, although students have already proven to be a big vector as per the stories yesterday.

I should have been clearer, if they do it then it shouldn't be for students only, it should be across the board.

SB
[Post edited 24 Sep 2020 15:46]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:44 - Sep 24 with 1317 viewsPinewoodblue

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:28 - Sep 24 by StokieBlue

Why is it a bonkers idea?

It's an entirely sensible idea, just not a popular idea.

I understand why it will cause outrage but people moving about for Christmas would be a massive vector of transmission at what is likely to be a time of high C19 numbers.

It's a hard one to balance with mental wellbeing but do you honestly think it's sensible for everyone to be going back home to see their extended families?

As has been pointed out though, if the testing system is finally fit for purpose by that point then it shouldn't be needed to even consider any restrictions on Christmas.

SB
[Post edited 24 Sep 2020 15:42]

Three generations sitting down together for a meal this christmas, or even just gathering, is probably out of the question for most of us, the six rule counting under 11's makes that a certainty..

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:47 - Sep 24 with 1312 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:44 - Sep 24 by hampstead_blue

He's not thick. He has made a very sensible and wise decision.

It's a fair decision. There is no big deal in having to spend a couple of extra weeks in halls.
If students are crowing then they ought to stop and think about others first.

If they come home then it's a Covid starburst. Boom.

Maybe the message should for them to think before they complain.

‘There is no big deal to spend a couple of extra weeks in halls’.

See you say stuff like this and it shows me just how unaware you are. Do you seriously not see how the mental health of students across the country will suffer from having to stay in a student accommodation whilst the rest of the country gets to enjoy Christmas with their families. Very unfair to say wanting such a thing is ‘complaining’. Perhaps if it was a rule that affected you, you’d show some compassion rather than being your usual self.

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:48 - Sep 24 with 1301 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:44 - Sep 24 by StokieBlue

That is fair, although students have already proven to be a big vector as per the stories yesterday.

I should have been clearer, if they do it then it shouldn't be for students only, it should be across the board.

SB
[Post edited 24 Sep 2020 15:46]

That’s at least fairer.

I just thought the idea that only students would be banned was effectively just picking on one group of society. Which it would be.

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:51 - Sep 24 with 1298 viewshampstead_blue

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:47 - Sep 24 by The_Romford_Blue

See you say stuff like this and it shows me just how unaware you are. Do you seriously not see how the mental health of students across the country will suffer from having to stay in a student accommodation whilst the rest of the country gets to enjoy Christmas with their families. Very unfair to say wanting such a thing is ‘complaining’. Perhaps if it was a rule that affected you, you’d show some compassion rather than being your usual self.

Could not disagree more.

Halls are fine. They will be fine.

Life is full of hardship.

Hot running water, uber eats, wifi, hot chicks, need I go on!
What hardship....

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:51 - Sep 24 with 1295 viewsbrazil1982

1.5 million on the move to universities this week..
.huge increases coming
Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:52 - Sep 24 with 1294 viewsStokieBlue

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:48 - Sep 24 by The_Romford_Blue

That’s at least fairer.

I just thought the idea that only students would be banned was effectively just picking on one group of society. Which it would be.

So according to this I can't go back and see my parents and sisters family for Christmas anyway:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-meeting-with-oth

We would be over the 6 persons living in different households rule.

SB

Login to get fewer ads

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:53 - Sep 24 with 1290 viewsStokieBlue

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:51 - Sep 24 by hampstead_blue

Could not disagree more.

What hardship....

Are you trying to act more like fool everyday or is it just natural?

SB

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:54 - Sep 24 with 1288 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:51 - Sep 24 by hampstead_blue

Could not disagree more.

What hardship....

I feel you’re not at all getting the point I’m making. Halls can be great. I enjoyed it there. Quite possible I’ll be back there this year actually after some recent developments re our house from second year.

The idea that I should suck it up on Christmas Day with the rest of the country seeing family is a completely different barrel of fish. And a huge number of students will suffer mentally if such a thing was implemented. Well they wouldn’t.. 99% of us would go home anyway.

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:55 - Sep 24 with 1283 viewslongtimefan

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:43 - Sep 24 by The_Romford_Blue

So the government could then put a ban on everyone seeing extended families. Don’t just outright ban students from going back to their houses to see their parents on Christmas Day. Huge difference

In the interview I heard it wasn’t him suggesting the idea, rather the presenter. The fact that he wouldn’t rule it out happening in specific cases is probably sensible. My son is at Uni and if there were to be a large outbreak there and whole swathes were told to isolate I don’t see how anyone could justify returning home at that time and undoubtedly spreading the virus. I certainly wouldn’t be happy if he travelled home under those conditions.
Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:57 - Sep 24 with 1276 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:52 - Sep 24 by StokieBlue

So according to this I can't go back and see my parents and sisters family for Christmas anyway:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-meeting-with-oth

SB

That’s the current rule anyway though - rightly or wrongly.

My point is why should students be blocked from seeing their families if it wasn’t against the rule of 6? I go home and I’d be in a household of 5. But because I’m actually a student, I have a different rule to the rest of the UK. Seems very harsh to me but I’m definitely going to be biased obviously. I did wonder what the general view would be when starting the thread. I think it’s definitely worth the discussion at the very least.

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:58 - Sep 24 with 1270 viewsMonkeyAlan

Not a popular idea. But a very sensible idea.
Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:59 - Sep 24 with 1265 viewsSwansea_Blue

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:47 - Sep 24 by The_Romford_Blue

In fairness, the over 75s have just spent about 3 months in social isolation not being able to leave their house. Some front line staff had to go without seeing their young children for weeks. Some families have been separated due to lockdowns, etc. So lots of sacrifices have been made already.

That's not to dismiss the issue of course.

Besides, it may not get that far as I've a sneaky suspicion that Unis will have to shut down again before we get to Christmas.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:59 - Sep 24 with 1265 viewsDanTheMan

SB

Yeah I won't be able to see most of mine. Some of them potentially I could see separately afterwards but there are too many kinds to do an all in one trip.

Frustrating but there we go.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 16:00 - Sep 24 with 1264 viewsStokieBlue

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:57 - Sep 24 by The_Romford_Blue

My point is why should students be blocked from seeing their families if it wasn’t against the rule of 6? I go home and I’d be in a household of 5. But because I’m actually a student, I have a different rule to the rest of the UK. Seems very harsh to me but I’m definitely going to be biased obviously. I did wonder what the general view would be when starting the thread. I think it’s definitely worth the discussion at the very least.

It's certainly worth a discussion as you say.

I guess the issue would be 3 students going home to their parents and then going back to 3 different universities - the vectors of transmission are increasing hugely if that is repeated across the country.

There is also the concern of taking C19 back to more vulnerable people.

Once again though - if the government could sort out a proper testing system this wouldn't be a huge issue.

SB

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 16:01 - Sep 24 with 1260 viewshomer_123

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:57 - Sep 24 by The_Romford_Blue

I can see both sides Rommy.

You are right, in theory in you meet the criteria you can head back home, should be no issues.

Unless, of course, as SB has noted, students turn out to be a major factor in spreading C19...in which case, you can see the logic. Not saying I agree but I can see that logic.

I take onboard fully your points about mental wellbeing as well.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 16:01 - Sep 24 with 1259 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:55 - Sep 24 by longtimefan

In the interview I heard it wasn’t him suggesting the idea, rather the presenter. The fact that he wouldn’t rule it out happening in specific cases is probably sensible. My son is at Uni and if there were to be a large outbreak there and whole swathes were told to isolate I don’t see how anyone could justify returning home at that time and undoubtedly spreading the virus. I certainly wouldn’t be happy if he travelled home under those conditions.

See that I agree. Of course.

In fact, my 14 year old brother was one of those on the vulnerable list. He’s got a weakened immune system so he’s always in and out of hospital. So having been at uni when the virus first kicked off, and not knowing if we’d all have it at uni and that I’d been to Cheltenham which was being blamed as well, I locked down at university. Think it was about 4 months before I got to see anyone from my family. Which was fine because that’s what had to be done. I’d do the same again, even if it did mean I had to sacrifice Christmas.

A broad banning of any student going home for Christmas though is not the same thing.

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 16:05 - Sep 24 with 1252 viewsPinewoodblue

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:54 - Sep 24 by The_Romford_Blue

I feel you’re not at all getting the point I’m making. Halls can be great. I enjoyed it there. Quite possible I’ll be back there this year actually after some recent developments re our house from second year.

The idea that I should suck it up on Christmas Day with the rest of the country seeing family is a completely different barrel of fish. And a huge number of students will suffer mentally if such a thing was implemented. Well they wouldn’t.. 99% of us would go home anyway.

Stop being a crybaby. The majority of families christmases will be affected by the rule of six.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 16:05 - Sep 24 with 1252 viewsSpruceMoose

SB

And meanwhile, as many people tit around on frivolous travel adventures, plenty of people are stuck overseas unable to return home for the foreseeable future, Christmas or no Christmas.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 16:06 - Sep 24 with 1248 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 16:01 - Sep 24 by homer_123

I can see both sides Rommy.

You are right, in theory in you meet the criteria you can head back home, should be no issues.

Unless, of course, as SB has noted, students turn out to be a major factor in spreading C19...in which case, you can see the logic. Not saying I agree but I can see that logic.

I take onboard fully your points about mental wellbeing as well.

Many people on this thread have made some excellent counter-arguments that I would have to agree with - SB included.

I just view it that an entire banning of students for Christmas seems totally unfair. Surely case by case, Uni by uni would be fairer. Glasgow has 600 students in self-isolation so they’d be wiser staying there if Christmas day was tomorrow. My university, touch wood, maintain that at this moment they’ve had no outbreak or known cases but will continue to monitor on a day by day basis. If there’s no known cases or any outbreak at my university, I’d maintain at that point that the mental health of the students should then take precedent. As the risk is minimal if theres no known cases, whereas the dangers of depression, loneliness etc that could occur from being at University over the Christmas period would be large.

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 16:07 - Sep 24 with 1243 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 16:05 - Sep 24 by Pinewoodblue

Stop being a crybaby. The majority of families christmases will be affected by the rule of six.

I see you’ve taken on the school of Hamstead in deliberately choosing to minimise the importance of mental health. ‘Crybaby’.

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 16:08 - Sep 24 with 1243 viewsSpruceMoose

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 16:05 - Sep 24 by Pinewoodblue

Harsh. People are allowed to be upset. Doesn't mean they should break the rules, but they're allowed an emotional response.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 16:08 - Sep 24 with 1239 viewshomer_123

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 16:06 - Sep 24 by The_Romford_Blue

Many people on this thread have made some excellent counter-arguments that I would have to agree with - SB included.

I just view it that an entire banning of students for Christmas seems totally unfair. Surely case by case, Uni by uni would be fairer. Glasgow has 600 students in self-isolation so they’d be wiser staying there if Christmas day was tomorrow. My university, touch wood, maintain that at this moment they’ve had no outbreak or known cases but will continue to monitor on a day by day basis. If there’s no known cases or any outbreak at my university, I’d maintain at that point that the mental health of the students should then take precedent. As the risk is minimal if theres no known cases, whereas the dangers of depression, loneliness etc that could occur from being at University over the Christmas period would be large.

As I say, I see your point Rommy.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 16:09 - Sep 24 with 1238 viewshampstead_blue

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:54 - Sep 24 by The_Romford_Blue

I do see your point, clearly. I just do not agree.

I've worked over Christmas on many occasions in my 20's, away from home, and it was great. Actually it was in terrible conditions but.......

Missing 1, one, ONE festive season should not bring forth waves of mental health problems.
I find it sad that young people are that fragile.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024