Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is Matt Hancock thick? 14:53 - Sep 24 with 11527 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Why on earth would he rule out the ridiculous idea that students could be banned from returning home for Christmas.

As if any government, even the Tories, would dare ask millions of students to stay the other side of the country and not see their families on Christmas Day. And as if any student would listen and stay at university, some of which will be first year students in halls - potentially very lonely.

So why on earth would he not rule it out? All he’s done by that is scare some students. Already seen two people message in group chats this morning about the horrible idea of being stuck at university for Christmas. It’s just absolute nonsense. I can’t work out what would g through his head to even put the idea into the minds of the public by not ruling it out. Absolute tit. Sorry for yet another bloody rant.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 18:32 - Sep 24 with 1598 views26_Paz

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 18:30 - Sep 24 by IpswichBoyBlue

So you would risk your families health just so you are not alone?

Only if they were happy with it, none of them are in the vulnerable category. If it was really bad, like last time with thousands of deaths a day I wouldn’t do it. If it’s like it is now I wouldn’t think twice
[Post edited 24 Sep 2020 18:33]

The Paz Man

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 18:32 - Sep 24 with 1613 viewsJ2BLUE

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 18:24 - Sep 24 by SitfcB

He’s called Romford for a reason hun.

Good point, well made.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 18:35 - Sep 24 with 1605 viewsIpswichBoyBlue

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 18:32 - Sep 24 by 26_Paz

Only if they were happy with it, none of them are in the vulnerable category. If it was really bad, like last time with thousands of deaths a day I wouldn’t do it. If it’s like it is now I wouldn’t think twice

And people wonder why this is getting out of hand again.
Is Matt Hancock thick? on 18:36 - Sep 24 with 1598 viewsjeera

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 18:25 - Sep 24 by Swansea_Blue

I see his point too. I think it depends on the viewpoint you view this from. I'd have loved it - I only spent the minimum expected time at home over Christmas and then cleared off to meet up with Uni mates for at least a week over New Year. The majority would probably be fine with a lockdown.

Some student are anxious though, or not enjoying their time at Uni or have mental health issues. For them it could be a big worry. So it's right that we make allowances for different responses.

The only other thing I want to say is that if this ends up happening, any University worth their salt will have support mechanisms in place for those who need it. They will all have wellbeing officers already that students can speak to about their worries. I expect that Unis would also respond to such an event and make extra efforts to support students 'stranded' in their university towns.

I'm sorry but I'm struggling with this.

I suppose I can sympathise for those who are away from home for the first time and all that, but I'm more with you as in I'd view it as an opportunity to spend time with my mates et al!

I moved out of home once I was 17/18 and had a flat of my own so I think differently maybe.

Working a weekend job outside in the snow and ice from 12; bought my own clothes, records, then motorcycle, car...

I was chipping in with the bills at 16 cos for a while there was only me and my mum. That was normal and I do get a bit tired of hearing grown adults of 20/21 whining about things being tough when truthfully they're only a couple of hours up the road from their family in a safe environment.

This thread probably isn't for me really.
[Post edited 24 Sep 2020 18:38]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 18:38 - Sep 24 with 1586 viewsDanTheMan

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 18:32 - Sep 24 by 26_Paz

Would you check with all of their acquaintances too? Because even if they are happy with it, they could then spread it further.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 18:45 - Sep 24 with 1558 viewsIpswichBoyBlue

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 18:38 - Sep 24 by DanTheMan

Would you check with all of their acquaintances too? Because even if they are happy with it, they could then spread it further.

He is only thinking of himself.
Is Matt Hancock thick? on 18:48 - Sep 24 with 1560 viewsgiant_stow

So much anger and criticism here today. No point at getting cross at students who've just realised they've been shafted by the govt and Unis who are despetrate for money.

I feel for you Romford. Lets hope the rules relax by Christmas or there'll be some proper misery, on top of already miserable times.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 18:52 - Sep 24 with 1555 viewsjeera

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 18:48 - Sep 24 by giant_stow

So much anger and criticism here today. No point at getting cross at students who've just realised they've been shafted by the govt and Unis who are despetrate for money.

I feel for you Romford. Lets hope the rules relax by Christmas or there'll be some proper misery, on top of already miserable times.

As always, context is everything.

This thread in isolation you would be right and I wouldn't be criticising.

Taken in relation to all the other threads and 'me me me' comments, then the criticism is perfectly understandable and some of it well overdue.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Login to get fewer ads

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 18:52 - Sep 24 with 1554 viewsjaykay

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 16:09 - Sep 24 by hampstead_blue

I do see your point, clearly. I just do not agree.

I've worked over Christmas on many occasions in my 20's, away from home, and it was great. Actually it was in terrible conditions but.......

Missing 1, one, ONE festive season should not bring forth waves of mental health problems.
I find it sad that young people are that fragile.

what are you on about. not everyone who served on the front line in the forces, those who see horrors everyday in other walks of life will suffer with p.t.s.d. so those who suffer from it are not fragile and it goes with any other situation which causes stress to certain people and not others

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 18:56 - Sep 24 with 1548 viewsgiant_stow

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 18:52 - Sep 24 by jeera

Taken in relation to all the other threads and 'me me me' comments, then the criticism is perfectly understandable and some of it well overdue.

Well this awkward - I didn't realise one of my favs had joined in! Be nice to Rommy and his fellow students - shy shouldn't they have a moan?! It's always the young that get it in the neck these days, no matter what the issue.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 20:01 - Sep 24 with 1505 viewsAce_High1

Not directly connected to the OP's point, but what is this obsession with Christmas, is that so much more important than the rest of the year?

I must be the only one but on the news lots of people have been saying "but what about Christmas!", I am more worried about the other 364 days of the year.

Christmas is genuinely the one time of the year things slow down for most people, the one time you could actually be locked down and barely notice!
Is Matt Hancock thick? on 20:20 - Sep 24 with 1486 viewsPinewoodblue

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 20:01 - Sep 24 by Ace_High1

Not directly connected to the OP's point, but what is this obsession with Christmas, is that so much more important than the rest of the year?

I must be the only one but on the news lots of people have been saying "but what about Christmas!", I am more worried about the other 364 days of the year.

Christmas is genuinely the one time of the year things slow down for most people, the one time you could actually be locked down and barely notice!

That only works if you can be locked down together, and get to a game at Portman road to allow breathing space.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 20:31 - Sep 24 with 1474 viewsJ2BLUE

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 20:01 - Sep 24 by Ace_High1

Because it's the highlight of the year for many people. December 23rd - December 31st is the best time of year IMO.

Also Christmas is a time when many families get together and people don't want to lose that.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 20:44 - Sep 24 with 1455 viewsMugwump

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 15:36 - Sep 24 by itfcjoe

I think those examples are not relevant as christmas is a national holiday in this country for those of any or no religion

So is Easter though and we were in lockdown were we not? Seems ages ago now.
Is Matt Hancock thick? on 21:21 - Sep 24 with 1435 viewsBlueBadger

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 18:24 - Sep 24 by IpswichBoyBlue

Thick? No. An educated man. Good health minister? No.
[Post edited 24 Sep 2020 18:24]

At what point is he planning on displaying evidence for the first two claims?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 22:30 - Sep 24 with 1403 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 18:52 - Sep 24 by jeera

Criticism at me? All I did was start the thread and play devils advocate for the students.

‘Me me me comments’. Jeez what’s your problem?

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 22:48 - Sep 24 with 1383 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Is it just me that thinks the current messaging is just the government lining up a lovely ‘Boris saves Christmas!’ PR piece when the restrictions are relaxed for a couple of weeks over the Xmas period?

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 23:12 - Sep 24 with 1359 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 20:31 - Sep 24 by J2BLUE

Because it's the highlight of the year for many people. December 23rd - December 31st is the best time of year IMO.

Also Christmas is a time when many families get together and people don't want to lose that.

Christmas is over rated horse sh1t, self centred feckers who eat and drink me out of house and home for 3 days every year without so much as a by your leave. Dread and hate it, apart from when Town are at home on a Boxing day, so if students have to stay in halls of residence for a few days, i,ll laugh my tits off.....................

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 00:04 - Sep 25 with 1330 viewsjudespiveyg

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 22:30 - Sep 24 by The_Romford_Blue

Criticism at me? All I did was start the thread and play devils advocate for the students.

‘Me me me comments’. Jeez what’s your problem?

Imagine complaining at the fact that your course is full price despite being almost entirely taught online (despite being assured this wouldn't be the case), that we're essentially stuck in our accommodation for the foreseeable future, and now we might not get to go home for Christmas.

God us university students are sooo entitled and really have no reason to be frustrated about anything whatsoever.

Oh yeah and it's also our fault.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2020 0:05]

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 06:55 - Sep 25 with 1260 views26_Paz

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 00:04 - Sep 25 by judespiveyg

Imagine complaining at the fact that your course is full price despite being almost entirely taught online (despite being assured this wouldn't be the case), that we're essentially stuck in our accommodation for the foreseeable future, and now we might not get to go home for Christmas.

God us university students are sooo entitled and really have no reason to be frustrated about anything whatsoever.

Oh yeah and it's also our fault.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2020 0:05]

Students certainly have got it rough. Imagine spending years looking forward to the freedoms uni brings; boozing, trying to chat up women etc. Only to have it all snatched away and be shut in a sh1tty room and expected to be grateful for a couple of online lectures a week. All for 9k a year or whatever it is.

The Paz Man

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 07:33 - Sep 25 with 1247 viewsbluelagos

The prospect of not seeing friends and family over christmas is one many people will struggle with. Being young, away from family, having to spend so much time with remote learning, banned from freshers weeks, no Uni discos...in Scotland students are even banned from pubs.

I'd feel absolutely gutted and I'd wonder why I even bothered when I could have done remote learning from home, a lot cheaper roo.

So I feel your frustrstions Rommy. Absolutely.

As for whether it is going to actually happen I have no idea. As others have said the govt tend to float ideas and gauge reactions. Also 12 weeks is a long time, none of us know how spread the virus will be and whether tighter measures than we have now are needed.

I also empathise with your distate for measures over uk travel only targetting students. Seems grossly unfair Jo Bloggs can travel 200 miles to spend xmas with family but not if he is studying.

I dont envy you at all. As someone who worked away from UK I made sure my xmas holiday was booked and think I only worked 1 xmas. Make use of skype, send pressies even eat together....It's not the same but it does help a little. And the Dunkirk spirit of those stuck working in Lagos (all of whom would have rather been in the UK) made it not so bad.

Fingers crossed it doesnt come to it. Horrible prospect and yet another example of the human cost of fighting the virus.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 07:51 - Sep 25 with 1238 viewsStokieBlue

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 07:33 - Sep 25 by bluelagos

The prospect of not seeing friends and family over christmas is one many people will struggle with. Being young, away from family, having to spend so much time with remote learning, banned from freshers weeks, no Uni discos...in Scotland students are even banned from pubs.

I'd feel absolutely gutted and I'd wonder why I even bothered when I could have done remote learning from home, a lot cheaper roo.

As for whether it is going to actually happen I have no idea. As others have said the govt tend to float ideas and gauge reactions. Also 12 weeks is a long time, none of us know how spread the virus will be and whether tighter measures than we have now are needed.

I also empathise with your distate for measures over uk travel only targetting students. Seems grossly unfair Jo Bloggs can travel 200 miles to spend xmas with family but not if he is studying.

I dont envy you at all. As someone who worked away from UK I made sure my xmas holiday was booked and think I only worked 1 xmas. Make use of skype, send pressies even eat together....It's not the same but it does help a little. And the Dunkirk spirit of those stuck working in Lagos (all of whom would have rather been in the UK) made it not so bad.

Fingers crossed it doesnt come to it. Horrible prospect and yet another example of the human cost of fighting the virus.

Just for context there are many people who aren't students that with the current restrictions won't be able to see their family at Christmas due to the rule of 6.

Students are certainly getting a rough time of it at the moment though, it's awful but not sure what can be done. The spike in Scottish universities was significant.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 08:03 - Sep 25 with 1215 viewsmikeybloo88

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 07:33 - Sep 25 by bluelagos

Exactly...Christmas is still 3 months away and we probably have the 2 week half term lockdown to come yet so let's see how that goes before we start winding the whole nation up. Cases are going to undoubtedly rise significantly in next few weeks but it is possible that spike may have fallen again by December. I'd also say that I see some people on here are saying rule of 6 will already spoil Christmas and affect most families. Maybe slightly, but most immediate family units are less than 6, so most parents with younger families will have no problem getting together. Older parents can still see some of their families and they are all in their own homes. None of these scenarios will be worse than the lone student not getting to see any family whilst being in a cramped broom and flat in a shut down city. If it comes to it, I will drive to Newcastle and bring my boy home and we'll all quarantine for two weeks and take our chances...assuming he wants to come home that is.
Is Matt Hancock thick? on 08:23 - Sep 25 with 1204 viewsStokieBlue

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 08:03 - Sep 25 by mikeybloo88

Exactly...Christmas is still 3 months away and we probably have the 2 week half term lockdown to come yet so let's see how that goes before we start winding the whole nation up. Cases are going to undoubtedly rise significantly in next few weeks but it is possible that spike may have fallen again by December. I'd also say that I see some people on here are saying rule of 6 will already spoil Christmas and affect most families. Maybe slightly, but most immediate family units are less than 6, so most parents with younger families will have no problem getting together. Older parents can still see some of their families and they are all in their own homes. None of these scenarios will be worse than the lone student not getting to see any family whilst being in a cramped broom and flat in a shut down city. If it comes to it, I will drive to Newcastle and bring my boy home and we'll all quarantine for two weeks and take our chances...assuming he wants to come home that is.

Not sure that your assertion that most families are less than 6 is very accurate.

Take a fairly standard 2 parents and 2 kids and 2 partners, add even a single grandchild and that is already over the limit and not allowed. In most scenarios the will be more grandchildren.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 09:50 - Sep 25 with 1157 viewsmikeybloo88

Is Matt Hancock thick? on 08:23 - Sep 25 by StokieBlue

Not sure that your assertion that most families are less than 6 is very accurate.

Take a fairly standard 2 parents and 2 kids and 2 partners, add even a single grandchild and that is already over the limit and not allowed. In most scenarios the will be more grandchildren.

SB

Most immediate family units (parents and immediate children) under a certain age are below 6....I assumed partners might go see their own parents in their own group of 6... The point being, most everyone could be with some family so no one would feel as isolated as lockdowned students away from their homes with no family whatsoever
[Post edited 25 Sep 2020 9:55]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024