Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good article from Carl Marston today: 14:30 - Sep 25 with 1419 viewsBlueBadger

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/carl-marston-s-travels-with-ipswich-town-top-five-l

The worst, most fruitlessly depressing away trip you've ever made.

I was 'lucky' enough to go to Bolton in 2002. Four+ hours home. Knowing all the way home that was it, we were down and we'd put up no fight whatsoever.

We wouldn't be as pathetic as that again until 18/19.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Good article from Carl Marston today: on 14:38 - Sep 25 with 1380 viewsITFC_Forever

This is the same feature he ran a couple of years ago about his time reporting on Col U.

When he says "many of them reporting on Ipswich Town", that's somewhat stretching the truth.... he's mainly been the Col U reporter, with a few Town games here and there amongst the odd whole season reporting on us.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Good article from Carl Marston today: on 14:51 - Sep 25 with 1345 viewshatch

I went to that Plymouth 1-1 when Stead equalised I think, I have a feeling he jumped on a defensive error. Red away kit I think.

My only time to Home Park and I actually quite enjoyed the trip as a teen parading my Norris printed away shirt with pride.
Good article from Carl Marston today: on 17:01 - Sep 25 with 1235 viewsIpswichKnight

This is a really low bar, I have so many gutless performances I've tried to hide them away in my deepest darkest parts of my memory, some have sadly now resurfaced and I will suffer a sleepless night now due to these!

Grimsby away - Burleys last game, I remember looking down briefly at the program when one of our centre backs had the ball with no one around him a moment later I look up and the Grimsby centre forward was sticking the ball in the net... It only got worse from there we were utter garbage and it was a Tuesday night game and a long drive back home

Manchester Unite away in the League cup - MM not only mooned the thousands who turned up on a Tuesday night but also slapped Chambers with the wet kipper by dropping him for Josh Yowarth and Polish Pete, United took it seriously we didn't and all of us who bothered to go could have staid at home and we've still not scored there since Kiwomya back in the first season of the PL. it's now F 1 Against 17 since the PL started
Good article from Carl Marston today: on 17:08 - Sep 25 with 1220 viewsWickwar_Blue

But what about the best long haul trips? Helsingborg, Blackburn in the FA Cup in 96, coming back from 3-0 down after 85 mins to snatch a draw at Barnsley.

Nothing will top Millwall away in PRP’s first game for misery. We were so bad I walked out after 70 mins. First and only time I have done that!
Good article from Carl Marston today: on 17:13 - Sep 25 with 1211 viewsPJH

Good article from Carl Marston today: on 17:08 - Sep 25 by Wickwar_Blue

But what about the best long haul trips? Helsingborg, Blackburn in the FA Cup in 96, coming back from 3-0 down after 85 mins to snatch a draw at Barnsley.

Nothing will top Millwall away in PRP’s first game for misery. We were so bad I walked out after 70 mins. First and only time I have done that!

Bryan Klug was in charge at Millwall although PL and his staff were there he had not at that point been officially appointed.
Good article from Carl Marston today: on 17:17 - Sep 25 with 1198 viewsWickwar_Blue

Good article from Carl Marston today: on 17:13 - Sep 25 by PJH

Bryan Klug was in charge at Millwall although PL and his staff were there he had not at that point been officially appointed.

Whoever was in charge it was atrocious (but you are correct)
Good article from Carl Marston today: on 17:17 - Sep 25 with 1198 viewsSwansea_Blue

Mine's a cumulation of abject performances and results over about a three year period, rather than any single match. From after Christmas in Mick's PO season, for god knows how many games I didn't see a single win. Must have been 20 or so games in that period. We didn't draw many of them either.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Good article from Carl Marston today: on 17:23 - Sep 25 with 1187 viewsPJH

Good article from Carl Marston today: on 17:17 - Sep 25 by Wickwar_Blue

Whoever was in charge it was atrocious (but you are correct)

It was terrible wasn't it?

I thought the fact that Hurst had gone would have given the team a lift but it was very very poor.
Login to get fewer ads

Good article from Carl Marston today: on 18:41 - Sep 25 with 1115 viewsSharkey

Good article from Carl Marston today: on 14:38 - Sep 25 by ITFC_Forever

This is the same feature he ran a couple of years ago about his time reporting on Col U.

When he says "many of them reporting on Ipswich Town", that's somewhat stretching the truth.... he's mainly been the Col U reporter, with a few Town games here and there amongst the odd whole season reporting on us.

You're absolutelý right. I think there was just one full season when the EADT flipped the reporters for some reason. Carl Marston didn't seem too happy about it either.
Good article from Carl Marston today: on 19:40 - Sep 25 with 1067 viewsbenrhyddingblue

Tuesday 2nd Oct 1990 I decided to travel by train from London to Ipswich’s game at Barnsley. For some reason I didn’t check trains back from Sheffield to London so after witnessing a dreadful 5.1 defeat I got back to the station in Sheffield to find no trains until the morning. Thinking myself clever I got a train to Doncaster expecting the east coast line to have a better service. I was wrong, no trains till next morning. Not giving up I walked from the station to the nearest junction to the A1M to hitch hike back. An hour later at about 1am I gave up, started walking back to the station, eventually sleeping (Not sleeping) rough in the porch of a church. Caught first train back the next day arriving in London about 8am.

At the time I didn’t imagine I would see a more inept display of football than that night. Sadly I’ve seen many since, most in the last few years.
Good article from Carl Marston today: on 23:10 - Sep 25 with 947 viewsLancsBlue

Good article from Carl Marston today: on 17:01 - Sep 25 by IpswichKnight

This is a really low bar, I have so many gutless performances I've tried to hide them away in my deepest darkest parts of my memory, some have sadly now resurfaced and I will suffer a sleepless night now due to these!

Grimsby away - Burleys last game, I remember looking down briefly at the program when one of our centre backs had the ball with no one around him a moment later I look up and the Grimsby centre forward was sticking the ball in the net... It only got worse from there we were utter garbage and it was a Tuesday night game and a long drive back home

Manchester Unite away in the League cup - MM not only mooned the thousands who turned up on a Tuesday night but also slapped Chambers with the wet kipper by dropping him for Josh Yowarth and Polish Pete, United took it seriously we didn't and all of us who bothered to go could have staid at home and we've still not scored there since Kiwomya back in the first season of the PL. it's now F 1 Against 17 since the PL started

I'd second both of those. I remember that night at Grimsby, one of my mates looked at me and said "I wouldn't mind but my Mrs thinks I'm out enjoying myself". I felt despondent that night, sadly in more recent seasons my emotion has been more one of anger. One day the tide will turn, it always does, and all that suffering will make it all the sweeter.

Poll: If you watch Town less often than in the past, what is the main reason?

Good article from Carl Marston today: on 10:15 - Sep 26 with 760 viewsPinewoodblue

May 1995 away to Sheffield Wednesday last game of the season. Lost 4-1 chants of “we’re Sh1te and we know we are” plus a promise that we would be back.

25 years later and we still haven’t been back for a match in the top flight.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Good article from Carl Marston today: on 10:17 - Sep 26 with 760 viewscbower

Burnley midweek 4-0 under Jewell surely has to be up there. Accrington last season a candidate too. Absolute confirmation of relegation from the Premier League in 2002 with a 5-0 wimper lest I mention 1995 at Old Trafford!

bluescouser

Good article from Carl Marston today: on 10:23 - Sep 26 with 752 viewsIpswichKnight

Good article from Carl Marston today: on 10:15 - Sep 26 by Pinewoodblue

May 1995 away to Sheffield Wednesday last game of the season. Lost 4-1 chants of “we’re Sh1te and we know we are” plus a promise that we would be back.

25 years later and we still haven’t been back for a match in the top flight.

Remember the TWTD match report from that, Towns defence parted like the Red Sea under Moses!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024