Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gambling and football 12:39 - Sep 27 with 2170 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Worth a read:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54308851

A massive issue and pleased to see a light being shone on it.

Not sure who is more addicted, the club's or the punters?!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Gambling and football on 12:55 - Sep 27 with 1871 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Gambling and football on 15:29 - Sep 27 with 1798 viewsJ2BLUE

Gambling and football on 12:55 - Sep 27 by BryanPlug

The 'people on here' who like a bet are constantly accused of having gambling problems. It's just something you lot come out with to get a pat on the back from others who don't like it. We've had people on here in the past who couldn't go a day without mentioning their alcohol intake. How many people questioned them? How many gambling threads do you see on here? One a week on average, if that.

Most of the known people on here who like a bet fully support a vast crackdown on the gambling industry. FOBTs are the worst and they've been targeted (but the laws don't go far enough IMO). Sports are also a big issue. What he says about following the sun is a common thing. Chopra spoke of betting on matches in Brazil.

I'm all for tighter restrictions on gambling sponsors and tv advertising.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Gambling and football on 16:15 - Sep 27 with 1762 viewsAce_High1

Should do what F1 did with tobacco sponsorship and ban betting companies being involved in football.

When I used to have a ST, a whole group around me used to spend the match on their phones checking the scores across the country to see if any of their accumulators came in. They might as well have sat at home with Soccer Saturday on.
Gambling and football on 16:49 - Sep 27 with 1745 viewsjeera

Gambling and football on 15:29 - Sep 27 by J2BLUE

The 'people on here' who like a bet are constantly accused of having gambling problems. It's just something you lot come out with to get a pat on the back from others who don't like it. We've had people on here in the past who couldn't go a day without mentioning their alcohol intake. How many people questioned them? How many gambling threads do you see on here? One a week on average, if that.

Most of the known people on here who like a bet fully support a vast crackdown on the gambling industry. FOBTs are the worst and they've been targeted (but the laws don't go far enough IMO). Sports are also a big issue. What he says about following the sun is a common thing. Chopra spoke of betting on matches in Brazil.

As you say, this faux 'concern' for complete strangers is just cover for a cheap dig.

People would do better for minding their own business sometimes.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Gambling and football on 18:44 - Sep 27 with 1705 viewsIpswich24

I am a recovering gambling addict. I can say 1st hand what gambling has done for me and my family. It almost destroyed everything I ever worked for. It changed me, i was out of control, the addiction was so strong I spent every minute of everyday on my phone. The ease of online gambling and thinking these massive figures I was gambling wasn't real as you don't see the actual money just figures. I went from a person doing a few quid on accumilators to £10k at a time bets. If anyone wants to know the danger of gambling then you found the right person.

Poll: Who would you like to be manager out of these?

Gambling and football on 19:32 - Sep 27 with 1676 viewsJ2BLUE

Gambling and football on 18:44 - Sep 27 by Ipswich24

I am a recovering gambling addict. I can say 1st hand what gambling has done for me and my family. It almost destroyed everything I ever worked for. It changed me, i was out of control, the addiction was so strong I spent every minute of everyday on my phone. The ease of online gambling and thinking these massive figures I was gambling wasn't real as you don't see the actual money just figures. I went from a person doing a few quid on accumilators to £10k at a time bets. If anyone wants to know the danger of gambling then you found the right person.

Respect for continuing to recover from your addiction. I am not denying that gambling is dangerous. I am simply tired of having to defend people who like a bet on here because we're an easy target.

People need to understand that many people can enjoy a bet as they enjoy a pint. Safely and in moderation. The attitude on here is anyone who likes a bet is clearly an addict in denial. If you say anything in your defence it just adds to the people saying you have an issue.

Again i'll say we all support much tighter restrictions on the gambling industry.

Hope you continue to make progress.

Truly impaired.

Gambling and football on 19:45 - Sep 27 with 1661 viewsBryanPlug

Gambling and football on 20:44 - Sep 27 with 1630 viewsJ2BLUE

Gambling and football on 19:45 - Sep 27 by BryanPlug

Hits a nerve lol. This is textbook. Well played. Hope you get the up votes you're desperately seeking.

Truly impaired.

Login to get fewer ads

Gambling and football on 20:56 - Sep 27 with 1618 viewsjeera

Gambling and football on 20:44 - Sep 27 by J2BLUE

Hits a nerve lol. This is textbook. Well played. Hope you get the up votes you're desperately seeking.

I hate that 'maybe I hit a nerve' line.

Again, usually aimed at a complete stranger among some random information. You could literally just chuck that into anything.

Not to mention it's pissed me off because I have actually developed a toothache over the past week and it's driving me crazy.

I never buy Sensodyne but it was on offer so I got a couple of tubes. Since I started using it, one of my teeth is murdering me.

Gambling and football on 21:02 - Sep 27 with 1606 viewsJ2BLUE

Gambling and football on 20:56 - Sep 27 by jeera

Again, usually aimed at a complete stranger among some random information. You could literally just chuck that into anything.

Not to mention it's pissed me off because I have actually developed a toothache over the past week and it's driving me crazy.

I never buy Sensodyne but it was on offer so I got a couple of tubes. Since I started using it, one of my teeth is murdering me.

It's straight out of the playbook for previous threads on this subject. If you don't reply it's because you know deep down you have a problem. If you do reply you are protesting too much and they've hit a nerve.

Oh well.

Hope your tooth feels better. Stop using the bloody Sensodyne!

Truly impaired.

Gambling and football on 21:06 - Sep 27 with 1600 viewsjeera

Gambling and football on 21:02 - Sep 27 by J2BLUE

It's straight out of the playbook for previous threads on this subject. If you don't reply it's because you know deep down you have a problem. If you do reply you are protesting too much and they've hit a nerve.

Oh well.

Hope your tooth feels better. Stop using the bloody Sensodyne!

I need to buy some different toothpaste tomorrow.

I wouldn't mind but I dislike the adverts for it and normally refuse to buy products whose adverts annoy me.

Though I hate most TV ads though which can make shopping difficult sometimes.

I really really really really really really really really really really really really fecking really really really really wish some of them would go away.

Gambling and football on 21:27 - Sep 27 with 1571 viewsJ2BLUE

Gambling and football on 21:06 - Sep 27 by jeera

I need to buy some different toothpaste tomorrow.

I wouldn't mind but I dislike the adverts for it and normally refuse to buy products whose adverts annoy me.

Though I hate most TV ads though which can make shopping difficult sometimes.

I really really really really really really really really really really really really fecking really really really really wish some of them would go away.

I hate the life insurance ads. Looking really excited "Royal London pay out on every claim, you'll have enough to redo the kitchen and now I can't wait to drop dead!"

Truly impaired.

Gambling and football on 21:39 - Sep 27 with 1554 viewsRyorry

Gambling and football on 20:44 - Sep 27 by J2BLUE

Thanks, only just seen this but you said it all (in your other posts too) far better than I could have done.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Gambling and football on 21:40 - Sep 27 with 1553 viewsjeera

Gambling and football on 21:27 - Sep 27 by J2BLUE

I hate the life insurance ads. Looking really excited "Royal London pay out on every claim, you'll have enough to redo the kitchen and now I can't wait to drop dead!"

There only seems to be around half a dozen adverts on tv at the moment.

It's the same few over and again.

That fecking Asda one, which I actually can't watch cos it gives me the hump, oh and bloody Schofield.

The Lloyds one seems pointless to me, how many ways can they think of incorporating a running horse into these ads? *

*and no Gordon, I know they are not selling horses.

Gambling and football on 21:50 - Sep 27 with 1534 viewsRyorry

Please don't worry on my account, I can assure you that I can afford to lose the £1 to £10 or so I've been gambling on the horses every Saturday for the past 13 years. Have stopped now actually, as racing just isn't the same for me without the crowds and atmosphere.

I can assure you many of us gamblers would like to see adverts for bookmakers/ betting at football & other sports events banned completely, since people (including kids) can't avoid seeing them. The moving pitch perimeter ones are particularly intrusive.

Gambling and football on 21:51 - Sep 27 with 1531 viewsIpswich24

Gambling and football on 19:32 - Sep 27 by J2BLUE

Respect for continuing to recover from your addiction. I am not denying that gambling is dangerous. I am simply tired of having to defend people who like a bet on here because we're an easy target.

People need to understand that many people can enjoy a bet as they enjoy a pint. Safely and in moderation. The attitude on here is anyone who likes a bet is clearly an addict in denial. If you say anything in your defence it just adds to the people saying you have an issue.

Again i'll say we all support much tighter restrictions on the gambling industry.

Hope you continue to make progress.

I completely agree i have nothing against people who like a bet and can control it, wish as a compulsive gambler could be the same. If you have an addictive personality like myself it is very dangerous. The bookies are scum they prey on compulsive gamblers with setting you up a VIP account and account manager, if haven't bet for few days they give you 'free bets'.

Poll: Who would you like to be manager out of these?

Gambling and football on 22:01 - Sep 27 with 1523 viewsBryanPlug

Gambling and football on 21:50 - Sep 27 by Ryorry

Please don't worry on my account, I can assure you that I can afford to lose the £1 to £10 or so I've been gambling on the horses every Saturday for the past 13 years. Have stopped now actually, as racing just isn't the same for me without the crowds and atmosphere.

I can assure you many of us gamblers would like to see adverts for bookmakers/ betting at football & other sports events banned completely, since people (including kids) can't avoid seeing them. The moving pitch perimeter ones are particularly intrusive.

Gambling and football on 22:07 - Sep 27 with 1510 viewsRyorry

Gambling and football on 21:51 - Sep 27 by Ipswich24

I completely agree i have nothing against people who like a bet and can control it, wish as a compulsive gambler could be the same. If you have an addictive personality like myself it is very dangerous. The bookies are scum they prey on compulsive gamblers with setting you up a VIP account and account manager, if haven't bet for few days they give you 'free bets'.

Bookies prey on everybody - they restrict the accounts so much of those who consistently win, even on a small scale, that it's hardly worth their while betting - allowed just a few pence each way. That's why the exchanges were set up.

You make some excellent points, particularly re "addictive" and "non-addictive" personalities. Feel for you being in the first group, that's unlucky, must be ennervating being constantly challenged/in stress. Some are just lucky to be "non-addictive" - even in my teens /early 20s I was able to smoke a cig or two sometimes for a few days or weeks, then not be fussed re leaving it.

Kudos to you for keeping away from it.

Gambling and football on 22:09 - Sep 27 with 1505 viewsRyorry

Gambling and football on 22:01 - Sep 27 by BryanPlug

Bryan Plug:

"There’s some people on here who are very vocal about their gambling and I worry that they could be addicted and facing huge losses and debt in the future."

Gambling and football on 22:11 - Sep 27 with 1496 viewsBryanPlug

Gambling and football on 22:09 - Sep 27 by Ryorry

Bryan Plug:

"There’s some people on here who are very vocal about their gambling and I worry that they could be addicted and facing huge losses and debt in the future."

Gambling and football on 22:13 - Sep 27 with 1492 viewsRyorry

Gambling and football on 20:56 - Sep 27 by jeera

You've probably tried regular rinsing round with a very strong salt water solution, but just in case you hadn't ... often works for infections & even abcesses.

Gambling and football on 22:18 - Sep 27 with 1477 viewsJ2BLUE

Gambling and football on 21:51 - Sep 27 by Ipswich24

The bookies are scum, I absolutely agree. I've been restricted with the vast majority, banned from offers from most and a few have come to a 'trading decision' to close my account while refusing to tell me why. I believe my name is on some sort of internal list as well as about half of the accounts I try and open with new bookies these days I get instantly banned from using their site.

Their whole business model is corrupt and the rules of the game are rigged.

Truly impaired.

Gambling and football on 22:30 - Sep 27 with 1461 viewsRyorry

Gambling and football on 22:11 - Sep 27 by BryanPlug

I've always been vocal about gambling on here, I've been gambling for 13 years. The very fact that you were unaware of that is all the more reason for you not to make such sweeping generalisations as you did in your posts above.

Gambling and football on 22:44 - Sep 27 with 1438 viewsJ2BLUE

Gambling and football on 22:30 - Sep 27 by Ryorry

I've always been vocal about gambling on here, I've been gambling for 13 years. The very fact that you were unaware of that is all the more reason for you not to make such sweeping generalisations as you did in your posts above.

Thinking about it, it was probably a shot at Rommers. There are a lot of people on here very jealous of him...

Truly impaired.

Gambling and football on 11:51 - Sep 28 with 1274 viewsBryanPlug

Gambling and football on 22:44 - Sep 27 by J2BLUE

Thinking about it, it was probably a shot at Rommers. There are a lot of people on here very jealous of him...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024