Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
VAR is simply ruining football 16:06 - Sep 27 with 2865 viewsChrisd

The rules of the game have become so clouded handball now is the ball hitting the hand deliberate or not. Go back to the original rule, if it is deliberate movement of the hand/arm to the ball then it gets penalised otherwise just play on. These decisions when a defender isn’t even looking at the ball and the attacker heads it against their arm is an utter joke. Ward penalised yesterday for Crystal Palace against Everton is another prime example that football is getting ruined. It really needs to get looked at by the authorities and fast.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

VAR is simply ruining football on 10:39 - Sep 28 with 797 viewsJammyDodgerrr

VAR is simply ruining football on 10:22 - Sep 28 by JakeITFC

The referee would never have given that penalty in real time.

No he wouldn't - i agree. But thats still the rule, he would never have given it because he wouldn't have seen it. But it's still the rule so if he did give it, it would've been right. They wanted VAR to assist referees and it has done(98% of the time now correct decisions are made, whereas it was 92%) before.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

VAR is simply ruining football on 10:42 - Sep 28 with 793 viewsJakeITFC

VAR is simply ruining football on 10:39 - Sep 28 by JammyDodgerrr

No he wouldn't - i agree. But thats still the rule, he would never have given it because he wouldn't have seen it. But it's still the rule so if he did give it, it would've been right. They wanted VAR to assist referees and it has done(98% of the time now correct decisions are made, whereas it was 92%) before.

VAR puts a magnifying glass on things that don't need them. The rule is bad but it is made worse by slow motion replays and freeze frames.

The IFAB/FIFA/PGMOL definition of what makes a correct decision is up for dispute to me.
VAR is simply ruining football on 10:43 - Sep 28 with 792 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

VAR is simply ruining football on 10:20 - Sep 28 by Swansea_Blue

Isn't the 'new' rule exactly the same as it used to be before they introduced the ambiguity of intent, which people complained about and wanted a return to the original rule which is what we now have again?

Before VAR, the Dier and Ward handballs would NEVER have been given, along with 50% of most current handball calls.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

VAR is simply ruining football on 10:58 - Sep 28 with 774 viewsRadlett_blue

VAR is simply ruining football on 10:43 - Sep 28 by Marshalls_Mullet

Before VAR, the Dier and Ward handballs would NEVER have been given, along with 50% of most current handball calls.

Steve Bruce's comments after yesterday's fiasco were spot on, especially as an absurd penalty decision has benefited his team. This seems to have been foisted on the game by FIFA & their referees' committee, including Collina, who was an excellent referee. I'm not sure what the motivation for this change is & struggle to see how any normal person who likes football can think this is improving the game. I kind of got the idea that if a player jumps to block a shot & the ball hits a flailing arm, that is a penalty, but many recent decisions are ludicrous & unfortunately often change the result of matches, destroying the integrity of the game.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

VAR is simply ruining football on 11:04 - Sep 28 with 770 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

VAR is simply ruining football on 10:58 - Sep 28 by Radlett_blue

Steve Bruce's comments after yesterday's fiasco were spot on, especially as an absurd penalty decision has benefited his team. This seems to have been foisted on the game by FIFA & their referees' committee, including Collina, who was an excellent referee. I'm not sure what the motivation for this change is & struggle to see how any normal person who likes football can think this is improving the game. I kind of got the idea that if a player jumps to block a shot & the ball hits a flailing arm, that is a penalty, but many recent decisions are ludicrous & unfortunately often change the result of matches, destroying the integrity of the game.

Stuff FIFA, the refs need to go their own way.

If this continues, I doubt I'll watch premier league football anymore. Cant imagine I'm alone.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

VAR is simply ruining football on 11:04 - Sep 28 with 768 viewstractorboy1978

VAR is simply ruining football on 10:32 - Sep 28 by Metal_Hacker

Or is the rule right and VAR wrong ?

VAR has taken away the dirtiness of football. VAR was brought into "cleanse" football of contentious decisions and now there seems to be some huge arguments

Consider the ruling is correct , take away VAR and we've still got the same rules , just applied the way it should be

I despise VAR and never wanted it brought in but the handball rule is ridiculous now. It is supposed to be clearer but for referees seems far less clear as they've now got to judge proximity to the ball, if it's hit another part of the body first, is the arm in an unnatural position?

I think we've lost sight of what the rule is there for, i.e to stop defenders intentionally or negligently handling the ball to stop a goal or a promising attack. We seem to now expect arms to disappear in the penalty box and an 'unnatural position' is simply them being attached to your shoulder.

As I said above, it is now going to become a game of 'can I make the defender handle the ball'.
VAR is simply ruining football on 11:18 - Sep 28 with 758 viewsMetal_Hacker

VAR is simply ruining football on 11:04 - Sep 28 by tractorboy1978

I despise VAR and never wanted it brought in but the handball rule is ridiculous now. It is supposed to be clearer but for referees seems far less clear as they've now got to judge proximity to the ball, if it's hit another part of the body first, is the arm in an unnatural position?

I think we've lost sight of what the rule is there for, i.e to stop defenders intentionally or negligently handling the ball to stop a goal or a promising attack. We seem to now expect arms to disappear in the penalty box and an 'unnatural position' is simply them being attached to your shoulder.

As I said above, it is now going to become a game of 'can I make the defender handle the ball'.

I think you're right about "can I make the defender handle the ball" but once a new rule is implemented I guess it's the manager's role to ensure their "employees" do their job to the best of their ability ....regardless of (dare I say) morals

It's just wrong....the whole VAR/handball situation has opened up a can of worms and made an issue that was there for sure , just a bigger issue by asking for the attacking player to target players hands

Poll: If it were one or the other

VAR is simply ruining football on 11:18 - Sep 28 with 757 viewsRadlett_blue

VAR is simply ruining football on 11:04 - Sep 28 by tractorboy1978

Some say the Premier League is now interpreting the law more harshly than others, with referees instructed to give handball if the ball strikes an arm deemed to be in an "unnatural position". I still don't see how Joel Ward could be judged guilty of handball on Saturday.

Login to get fewer ads

VAR is simply ruining football on 11:23 - Sep 28 with 755 viewstractorboy1978

VAR is simply ruining football on 11:18 - Sep 28 by Radlett_blue

Some say the Premier League is now interpreting the law more harshly than others, with referees instructed to give handball if the ball strikes an arm deemed to be in an "unnatural position". I still don't see how Joel Ward could be judged guilty of handball on Saturday.

IMO the referees are just following one another. "Well one was given in the Palace game yesterday so I really need to give this even if I don't agree".

We will likely see next weekend after the uproar that the rule will be getting applied more leniently. It makes a mockery of the game.
VAR is simply ruining football on 11:37 - Sep 28 with 741 viewsrickw

VAR is simply ruining football on 11:23 - Sep 28 by tractorboy1978

IMO the referees are just following one another. "Well one was given in the Palace game yesterday so I really need to give this even if I don't agree".

We will likely see next weekend after the uproar that the rule will be getting applied more leniently. It makes a mockery of the game.

I don't think they can, not unless all refs agree to ignore FIFA's rules.

If this rule continues how long will it be before football kits start to look like straight jackets to keep arms out the way?!?!?! ;-)

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

VAR is simply ruining football on 13:08 - Sep 28 with 722 viewsChrisd

VAR is simply ruining football on 11:37 - Sep 28 by rickw

I don't think they can, not unless all refs agree to ignore FIFA's rules.

If this rule continues how long will it be before football kits start to look like straight jackets to keep arms out the way?!?!?! ;-)

Gary Lineker posted something similar on his twitter account on Saturday after the Ward incident at Selhurst Park.....

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

VAR is simply ruining football on 14:14 - Sep 28 with 709 viewsGeoffSentence

VAR is simply ruining football on 11:04 - Sep 28 by Marshalls_Mullet

Stuff FIFA, the refs need to go their own way.

If this continues, I doubt I'll watch premier league football anymore. Cant imagine I'm alone.

You are way behind me. I have been bocotting the Premier League since 2002.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

VAR is simply ruining football on 16:55 - Sep 28 with 693 viewsNorthLondonBlue2

VAR is ruining football full-stop, regardless of whether it's to do with handball, or off-side or anything else.

Goal-line technology is perfect; it's a simple, and immediate decision whether the ball crossed the line or not.

But now, there's endless delay and just as much, if not more controversy. Goal decisions should be given immediately and we crack on from there.

Football is never a game of perfection, and that is what makes it perfect.

Employ more linesmen, if you must, but just get rid of VAR and its stifling, ridiculous effect on the game.
VAR is simply ruining football on 19:00 - Sep 28 with 670 viewsRadlett_blue

VAR is simply ruining football on 16:55 - Sep 28 by NorthLondonBlue2

VAR is ruining football full-stop, regardless of whether it's to do with handball, or off-side or anything else.

Goal-line technology is perfect; it's a simple, and immediate decision whether the ball crossed the line or not.

But now, there's endless delay and just as much, if not more controversy. Goal decisions should be given immediately and we crack on from there.

Football is never a game of perfection, and that is what makes it perfect.

Employ more linesmen, if you must, but just get rid of VAR and its stifling, ridiculous effect on the game.

A good post until you mentioned extra officials. The ones Platini added to European games seem to have added no value at all. A bit like a committee.

VAR is simply ruining football on 19:08 - Sep 28 with 664 viewsSwansea_Blue

VAR is simply ruining football on 10:58 - Sep 28 by Radlett_blue

I suspect it's aimed at removing ambiguity to help the referee. Probably wouldn't be needed if we didn't have so many poor officials. I'm not defending it, but people have been complaining about the ambiguity for ages. And I'm 99% certain this was the original handball rule in football for decades. And we coped fine then

I'm not sure what the answer is. I liked the previous concept of intent, but we saw plenty of problems linked to the interpretation of that rule too.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

VAR is simply ruining football on 11:01 - Sep 29 with 626 viewsGarv

VAR is simply ruining football on 19:08 - Sep 28 by Swansea_Blue

I suspect it's aimed at removing ambiguity to help the referee. Probably wouldn't be needed if we didn't have so many poor officials. I'm not defending it, but people have been complaining about the ambiguity for ages. And I'm 99% certain this was the original handball rule in football for decades. And we coped fine then

I'm not sure what the answer is. I liked the previous concept of intent, but we saw plenty of problems linked to the interpretation of that rule too.

I think half the problem is people bleating on about wanting consistency. You can't have it, football isn't consistent, pretending we can have all referees doing all the same things every week is silly.

Put the power back in the hands of the referees and let them officiate the game as they see fit*, while obviously applying the general laws of the games. If we're talking about handball, make only 'clear and obvious' handballs punishable and let the refs decide for themselves.

*Except Kevin Friend, obviously. He needs taking out of the game completely.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024