Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
VAR is simply ruining football 16:06 - Sep 27 with 2866 viewsChrisd

The rules of the game have become so clouded handball now is the ball hitting the hand deliberate or not. Go back to the original rule, if it is deliberate movement of the hand/arm to the ball then it gets penalised otherwise just play on. These decisions when a defender isn’t even looking at the ball and the attacker heads it against their arm is an utter joke. Ward penalised yesterday for Crystal Palace against Everton is another prime example that football is getting ruined. It really needs to get looked at by the authorities and fast.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

VAR is simply ruining football on 16:11 - Sep 27 with 2031 viewsfactual_blue

The pundits over-analysed every decision with ultra-slow motion replays. This let managers bleat about how they was robbed and demand 'consistency'.

Well, they've got 'consistency' now. That consistency has been achieved by a handball law makes a mockery of the word 'deliberate'.

I've no sympathy. As ye sow, so shall ye reap.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

VAR is simply ruining football on 16:47 - Sep 27 with 1978 viewspositivity

i disagree, i think the clarification of the handball rule is good.

the defending team gets an advantage from the handball, the original rule meant that intent had to be proved, so that the attacking team got recompense for their disadvantage. i think the rule should give the benefit of the doubt to the attacking side.

not a ref, so i could have simply misunderstood it, but i can't see the problem so long as it's used consistently (usually the problem!)

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

VAR is simply ruining football on 18:15 - Sep 27 with 1929 viewsEastTownBlue

VAR is simply ruining football on 16:47 - Sep 27 by positivity

the defending team gets an advantage from the handball, the original rule meant that intent had to be proved, so that the attacking team got recompense for their disadvantage. i think the rule should give the benefit of the doubt to the attacking side.

not a ref, so i could have simply misunderstood it, but i can't see the problem so long as it's used consistently (usually the problem!)

I don't think I agree that it is good but it has clarified handball though. If the ball hits an outstretched arm in the penalty area and it goes to VAR there will only be one decision.
VAR is simply ruining football on 18:18 - Sep 27 with 1920 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Agreed.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

VAR is simply ruining football on 18:35 - Sep 27 with 1900 viewsGarv

Trouble is now it's here it won't go away, at least completely.

It's made my favourite sport boring to follow and made me not want my club to be involved in the top league.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

VAR is simply ruining football on 18:35 - Sep 27 with 1894 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

VAR is simply ruining football on 16:11 - Sep 27 by factual_blue

The pundits over-analysed every decision with ultra-slow motion replays. This let managers bleat about how they was robbed and demand 'consistency'.

Well, they've got 'consistency' now. That consistency has been achieved by a handball law makes a mockery of the word 'deliberate'.

Agreed re pundits.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

VAR is simply ruining football on 18:38 - Sep 27 with 1883 viewsGarv

VAR is simply ruining football on 16:11 - Sep 27 by factual_blue

Point on over analysis is correct.

VAR is simply ruining football on 19:43 - Sep 27 with 1839 viewsrickw

VAR has nothing to do with the handball law.

VAR seems to be improving (slowly) but I agree the handball law seems wrong, you can now win games not through good play but through having the ball hit the opponents arms more than yours....

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Login to get fewer ads

VAR is simply ruining football on 20:00 - Sep 27 with 1823 viewsChrisd

VAR is simply ruining football on 19:43 - Sep 27 by rickw

VAR has nothing to do with the handball law.

VAR seems to be improving (slowly) but I agree the handball law seems wrong, you can now win games not through good play but through having the ball hit the opponents arms more than yours....

Prime example today, Newcastle didn’t even have a shot on target until they scored the penalty in the 94th minute. Credit to Steve Bruce, said in his post match interview that this needs to get looked at as no doubt Newcastle will be on the wrong side of these type of decisions this season and he took no enjoyment from that today.....well something along those lines. Link below:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/sep/27/its-a-nonsense-newcastles-steve
[Post edited 27 Sep 2020 20:48]

VAR is simply ruining football on 20:14 - Sep 27 with 1796 viewsBrianTablet

Football ruined football.

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

VAR is simply ruining football on 20:35 - Sep 27 with 1773 viewsnoggin

VAR is simply ruining football on 20:14 - Sep 27 by BrianTablet

Football ruined football.

You spelt money wrong.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

VAR is simply ruining football on 20:41 - Sep 27 with 1768 viewsTrequartista

The authorities look at it every close season, and decide to make things worse.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

VAR is simply ruining football on 21:09 - Sep 27 with 1739 viewsBramidan

VAR is simply ruining football on 20:41 - Sep 27 by Trequartista

The authorities look at it every close season, and decide to make things worse.

Surely VAR should be looking at intent and whether the defending team got an unfair advantage from a "deliberate handball"
In the Spurs game the ball seemed to glance the defenders arm when it was behind him?
By the way I have no sympathy for Spurs, I was there when Gilzean ( dirty bastard) ruined Frank Brogans career.
VAR is simply ruining football on 21:23 - Sep 27 with 1720 viewsTrequartista

VAR is simply ruining football on 21:09 - Sep 27 by Bramidan

Surely VAR should be looking at intent and whether the defending team got an unfair advantage from a "deliberate handball"
In the Spurs game the ball seemed to glance the defenders arm when it was behind him?
By the way I have no sympathy for Spurs, I was there when Gilzean ( dirty bastard) ruined Frank Brogans career.

VAR should stick strictly to objective calls like a ball being over a line, or offside. Introducing it for subjective decisions, and then only applying it to some decisions and not others, is the core of the problem.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

VAR is simply ruining football on 21:42 - Sep 27 with 1688 viewsPlums

By the end of the season, it will become a clear tactic to fire a ball into a defender when an attacker can’t get a clear shot on goal. It’s introduced another target to the game which can only be bad news.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

VAR is simply ruining football on 21:42 - Sep 27 with 1690 viewsChrisd

VAR is simply ruining football on 21:23 - Sep 27 by Trequartista

VAR should stick strictly to objective calls like a ball being over a line, or offside. Introducing it for subjective decisions, and then only applying it to some decisions and not others, is the core of the problem.

With all the confusion and anger VAR causes, I’m sure managers and players would be far more happier letting the referee be fully in charge of those subjective decisions without any outside influence. In fact, just going back to how it was before and accepting human error is part and parcel of the game.

VAR is simply ruining football on 23:35 - Sep 27 with 1632 viewsBent_double

They've just explained on MOTD2 that it's FIFAs ruling to make sure that rules are applied consistently across all leagues.

Apparently last season, in the PL there were 19 pens awarded for handball, in La Liga it was 48 and in Serie A 57.

Will the PL have the guts to back out of this, I wonder?

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

VAR is simply ruining football on 01:23 - Sep 28 with 1591 viewsKingsCrossBlue

VAR is simply ruining football on 21:23 - Sep 27 by Trequartista

Totally! Elite Football has become so sanitised, It’s so boring. Really, so dull. I’m gutted everything is behind closed doors, but happy that we can still watch us on a stream.Hopefully, the awful agent, f- wittery, chelsea loving bantz, won’t see Dozzell anytime soon
VAR is simply ruining football on 09:43 - Sep 28 with 1463 viewsJammyDodgerrr

It's not VAR, its the rule. VAR is simply highlighting stupid rules and enforcing them. VAR is actually working well, i think.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

VAR is simply ruining football on 09:56 - Sep 28 with 1436 viewsGarv

VAR is simply ruining football on 16:47 - Sep 27 by positivity

Do we really want games regularly decided by penalties though?

You hear people saying 'I don't want players to be sent off etc', they should be saying the same about penalties. When something is blatant yes, but when it's such a marginal call and in a lot of cases hasn't actually benefited the defending team anyway, it's nonsense.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2020 10:25]

VAR is simply ruining football on 10:17 - Sep 28 with 1416 viewstractorboy1978

VAR is simply ruining football on 09:56 - Sep 28 by Garv

Do we really want games regularly decided by penalties though?

You hear people saying 'I don't want players to be sent off etc', they should be saying the same about penalties. When something is blatant yes, but when it's such a marginal call and in a lot of cases hasn't actually benefited the defending team anyway, it's nonsense.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2020 10:25]

And we are dealing with highly skilled footballers who are perfectly adept at intentionally flicking the ball onto a defenders hand with their foot or their head. We are moving into a new world of 'cheating'.
VAR is simply ruining football on 10:20 - Sep 28 with 1410 viewsSwansea_Blue

Isn't the 'new' rule exactly the same as it used to be before they introduced the ambiguity of intent, which people complained about and wanted a return to the original rule which is what we now have again?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

VAR is simply ruining football on 10:22 - Sep 28 with 1406 viewsJakeITFC

VAR is simply ruining football on 09:43 - Sep 28 by JammyDodgerrr

It's not VAR, its the rule. VAR is simply highlighting stupid rules and enforcing them. VAR is actually working well, i think.

The referee would never have given that penalty in real time.
VAR is simply ruining football on 10:27 - Sep 28 with 1390 viewstractorboy1978

VAR is simply ruining football on 10:22 - Sep 28 by JakeITFC

The referee would never have given that penalty in real time.

No he wouldn't. But it is the rule that is wrong not VAR.
VAR is simply ruining football on 10:32 - Sep 28 with 1377 viewsMetal_Hacker

VAR is simply ruining football on 10:27 - Sep 28 by tractorboy1978

No he wouldn't. But it is the rule that is wrong not VAR.

Or is the rule right and VAR wrong ?

VAR has taken away the dirtiness of football. VAR was brought into "cleanse" football of contentious decisions and now there seems to be some huge arguments

Consider the ruling is correct , take away VAR and we've still got the same rules , just applied the way it should be

Poll: If it were one or the other

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024