Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Utter panic mongering 08:32 - Sep 28 with 2578 viewshampstead_blue

https://www.bbc.co.uk/ideas/videos/viewpoint-cars-should-come-with-health-warnin

Really?
Cars "can contribute".....what % and probability?
Cars do cause.....what % of the damage

"If we didn't use the car for journeys up to 2km blah blah blah".......Utter rubbish. He is assuming we all live on flat roads and every job within a short distance didn't need a car!

"During the pandemic, global emissions fell"...... Ok, during the pandemic the global economy virtually collapsed.

SUV drivers are from HELL!!!! This is the pin which truly burst his bubble......SUV's are based on generic platforms. What about large saloon cars, large estate cars, small saloons/estates........

This is classic panic journalism. He wants to shame people.
Who paid him to create this tripe?
This is classic panic mongering. He wants to shame drivers

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Utter panic mongering on 10:56 - Sep 28 with 466 viewsWeWereZombies

Utter panic mongering on 10:54 - Sep 28 by hampstead_blue

Public Health England estimates that between 10,000 and 30,000 people die early due to air pollution in England alone each year.

How many die from smoking? Nigh on 100k.

Only Steve has managed to address the point. He said that it wasn't "journalism but an opinion piece".
I find it a very poor opinion piece. That's my point. All he wants to do is whip up panic.

Where is the piece which talks about the innovation in the automotive sector? You all seem to want to ignore that and focus on "car = bad". In reality car=job=food to your table=civilised society.

Sorry but he wants us all to cycle and walk! What a joke. That is playground arguments at best.

I think this paincked style of writing doesn't help. It tips people toward stupid radical "ban the car and planes" type arguments. We should be thinking ahead at technology and how to innovate away the problem.

Sorry if maybe I've not made my point in a perfect way but have a look with the thought of scrapping this dumb panic and think in a positive "how can we innovate" manner.

Well, absolutely, how daft to suggest cycling two kilometres. We all know that is nigh on impossible...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Utter panic mongering on 11:04 - Sep 28 with 456 viewshampstead_blue

Utter panic mongering on 10:56 - Sep 28 by WeWereZombies

Well, absolutely, how daft to suggest cycling two kilometres. We all know that is nigh on impossible...

It is and bone stupid thing to say.

We could write for days the jobs and tasks which need a car for that short journey. Not forgetting the sheer number of reasons why an individual could not cycle.

It's weak and ridiculous to suggest.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.

Utter panic mongering on 11:09 - Sep 28 with 448 viewsHerbivore

Public Health England estimates that between 10,000 and 30,000 people die early due to air pollution in England alone each year.

Only Steve has managed to address the point. He said that it wasn't "journalism but an opinion piece".
I find it a very poor opinion piece. That's my point. All he wants to do is whip up panic.

Where is the piece which talks about the innovation in the automotive sector? You all seem to want to ignore that and focus on "car = bad". In reality car=job=food to your table=civilised society.

Sorry but he wants us all to cycle and walk! What a joke. That is playground arguments at best.

I think this paincked style of writing doesn't help. It tips people toward stupid radical "ban the car and planes" type arguments. We should be thinking ahead at technology and how to innovate away the problem.

Sorry if maybe I've not made my point in a perfect way but have a look with the thought of scrapping this dumb panic and think in a positive "how can we innovate" manner.

Why are you so angry at the suggestion that people should use cars less in order to reduce their environmental impact? Seems a really odd thing to boil your piss over.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Utter panic mongering on 11:09 - Sep 28 with 448 viewsBrixtonBlue

Utter panic mongering on 10:32 - Sep 28 by Swansea_Blue

You just have to look. It takes two minutes to get a feel for their relative significance. A 60 second search throws up some of the following.

In terms of CO2 emissions cars are significant polluters (e.g. a fifth of all US emissions https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/headlines/society/20190313STO31218/co2-em

Largest in road transport sector in EU:- https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/headlines/society/20190313STO31218/co2-em

In terms of air pollution in general, they are a major source of carbon monoxide, and other toxins that cause/exacerbate asthma, are linked to lung cancer & heart diseases and various other conditions. They cause about a third of USs air pollution - https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/green-guide/buying-guides/car/env

Estimates of the cost in terms of health (cost to the NHS) in the UK are about £8k per car (~£6bn total per year) - https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/cars-air-pollution-cost-nhs-vans-vehic

NO!! NOT FACTS!!!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Utter panic mongering on 11:11 - Sep 28 with 445 viewsBrixtonBlue

Utter panic mongering on 10:53 - Sep 28 by monytowbray

How do you function in the real world? I can’t imagine you are much use to anyone with such a false grasp of reality.

He blusters through it like Boris does I imagine.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Utter panic mongering on 11:11 - Sep 28 with 444 viewseireblue

Why are you lying?

Let’s address that first.

Then maybe we can think about an honest debate based on facts, science and rational thinking.
Utter panic mongering on 11:13 - Sep 28 with 440 viewsDarth_Koont

The first lesson of trolling is not to troll yourself.

Pronouns: He/Him

Utter panic mongering on 11:13 - Sep 28 with 439 viewsBrixtonBlue

Are you a taxi driver by any chance?

Login to get fewer ads

Utter panic mongering on 11:15 - Sep 28 with 433 viewseireblue

Utter panic mongering on 11:13 - Sep 28 by BrixtonBlue

Are you a taxi driver by any chance?

Hmmm, that could explain a propensity for lying, “..yes mate, just 2 minutes away”.
Utter panic mongering on 11:21 - Sep 28 with 424 viewsBrixtonBlue

Utter panic mongering on 11:15 - Sep 28 by eireblue

Hmmm, that could explain a propensity for lying, “..yes mate, just 2 minutes away”.

And the fact that he says "car=job=food to your table." Er no, my car has nothing to do with my job and I imagine that's the same for the majority of people.

Utter panic mongering on 12:00 - Sep 28 with 398 viewsWeWereZombies

Utter panic mongering on 11:21 - Sep 28 by BrixtonBlue

And the fact that he says "car=job=food to your table." Er no, my car has nothing to do with my job and I imagine that's the same for the majority of people.

Although I must say, in Hampstead's defence, I cannot recall ever seeing him post a suggestion to park at Gatwick.

Utter panic mongering on 12:07 - Sep 28 with 383 viewshampstead_blue

Utter panic mongering on 11:21 - Sep 28 by BrixtonBlue

So cars have nothing to do with supporting your life?

That is silly and you know it.

The piece is at best poor but nicely plays to the masses who think that the only way to solve the problem is to regress.

Utter panic mongering on 12:10 - Sep 28 with 378 viewseireblue

Utter panic mongering on 12:07 - Sep 28 by hampstead_blue

The piece is at best poor but nicely plays to the masses who think that the only way to solve the problem is to regress.

You are lying, again.

Why?
Utter panic mongering on 12:27 - Sep 28 with 357 viewsWeWereZombies

I thought that the reporter was suggesting progress, just mirroring the way in which warnings on cigarette packets could be adapted for vehicles. Not so much stop using them as keep using them but less often and much more constructively. I suppose some might think that if cars shouldn't be used then God would never have invented them...

Utter panic mongering on 12:31 - Sep 28 with 351 viewsBrixtonBlue

I didn't say that though did I? I said it has nothing to do with my job.

How did people cope before cars were invented? They're a nice thing to have, they're not a necessity for most people.

Utter panic mongering on 12:50 - Sep 28 with 331 viewsHerbivore

I got rid of my car in January and found that it was perfectly possible for me to survive. I walked and got the bus to work. I did my grocery shopping online. I used public transport to get to other places. I intended to sign up to a local car club so I could access a car if I needed one but in the end I didn't bother as it wasn't necessary. I appreciate people have different circumstances but for lots of people it would be possible to stop using a car or to at least drastically reduce their car use. The problem is a lack of willing more than anything.

Utter panic mongering on 12:55 - Sep 28 with 324 viewshampstead_blue

Utter panic mongering on 12:27 - Sep 28 by WeWereZombies

I thought that the reporter was suggesting progress, just mirroring the way in which warnings on cigarette packets could be adapted for vehicles. Not so much stop using them as keep using them but less often and much more constructively. I suppose some might think that if cars shouldn't be used then God would never have invented them...

Not sure how demonising the car is progress.
He should stop listing all the things which "could be" or are "linked to" and start looking at reporting on how industry is improving things.

His point about SUV's is absolutely pathetic. They share platforms with saloons and estates ffs!

If he wants to make a point about cars, he should be saying that certain cars should be automatically scrapped after x years.
Scrap entire cab fleets using diesel that's one of the worst. Small efficient petrol and light hybrids.

He's regressive and alarmist.

Be more positive.

We should all be driving cars like the BMW i8 or the new NSX. Now that's cool.....The new X5 hybrid is a belter of a car.

Utter panic mongering on 12:59 - Sep 28 with 323 viewsSpruceMoose

Another day another Hamstead meltdown.

I'm beginning to wonder if it wouldn't be a kindness to you for everyone to just ignore these 'old man yells at cloud' posts of yours.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2020 13:02]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Utter panic mongering on 13:02 - Sep 28 with 315 viewsmonytowbray

Utter panic mongering on 12:50 - Sep 28 by Herbivore

I got rid of my car in January and found that it was perfectly possible for me to survive. I walked and got the bus to work. I did my grocery shopping online. I used public transport to get to other places. I intended to sign up to a local car club so I could access a car if I needed one but in the end I didn't bother as it wasn't necessary. I appreciate people have different circumstances but for lots of people it would be possible to stop using a car or to at least drastically reduce their car use. The problem is a lack of willing more than anything.

Sold my car when I moved to London over two years ago

Moved back this way 3 months ago and I've just gone for a push bike.

Remove a car from your life and you'll realise how lazy it made you and how much you were needlessly polluting as an individual.

Plus you'll save loads of money.

The only thing I "needed" my car for really when I had it was the drive to Brightwell Barns from Ravenswood each weekday for work. And now with WFH (which is here to stay like it or not, f*ck corporate landlords anyway) it would make more sense for less people to have cars (or at least use them less).

I think things like Zipcar are the future really. Or car sharing where multiple people pitch in for one vehicle and use it when needed.

I can see public transport getting cheaper in the next decade to combat the climate crisis, which would work fine once less people have their own transport.

Your need to pop to Tesco or drive the kids round the corner to school aren't a reason to kill off the planet. We need collective individual ownership of our behaviour to combat the issues we face on the floating ball we call home.

These are facts, regardless of how much nonsense logic the OP throws up.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Utter panic mongering on 13:03 - Sep 28 with 315 viewsHerbivore

Utter panic mongering on 12:55 - Sep 28 by hampstead_blue

He should stop listing all the things which "could be" or are "linked to" and start looking at reporting on how industry is improving things.

His point about SUV's is absolutely pathetic. They share platforms with saloons and estates ffs!

If he wants to make a point about cars, he should be saying that certain cars should be automatically scrapped after x years.
Scrap entire cab fleets using diesel that's one of the worst. Small efficient petrol and light hybrids.

Be more positive.

We should all be driving cars like the BMW i8 or the new NSX. Now that's cool.....The new X5 hybrid is a belter of a car.

All of the things you suggest are just tinkering round the edges. There was a thread on here just the other day about the emissions from hybrid cars and even fully electric cars have a large carbon footprint through their production and they end up putting loads of microplastics into the air through tyre wear. I know you don't want to have to make any sacrifices at all in order to contribute to battling the climate crisis but the idea we can become carbon neutral without making sacrifices and purely through technology is the stuff of pure fantasy.

Utter panic mongering on 13:16 - Sep 28 with 301 viewsBrixtonBlue

Be more positive.

So if you were the government you'd supply people with these BMW i8's then? The starting prices is £114,200.

Utter panic mongering on 13:18 - Sep 28 with 299 viewsHerbivore

Utter panic mongering on 13:16 - Sep 28 by BrixtonBlue

So if you were the government you'd supply people with these BMW i8's then? The starting prices is £114,200.

It's complete fantasy stuff from him.

Utter panic mongering on 13:20 - Sep 28 with 294 viewsBrixtonBlue

Utter panic mongering on 13:18 - Sep 28 by Herbivore

It's complete fantasy stuff from him.

Indeed. He just seems to pluck most of it out of thin air. Or his arse.

Most people should be driving a £114,600 (starting price) car!!

EDIT: Or if you prefer the NSX, that's £143,950.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2020 13:23]

Utter panic mongering on 13:25 - Sep 28 with 286 viewshype313

Be more positive.

lol.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Utter panic mongering on 13:52 - Sep 28 with 270 viewsshady

Cars…the devils vehicle.
I drive therefore I am.

Balance of payments….£12billion loss
Hospitals needless death and maiming.
What need of roo bars on a city SUV to protect the engine or murder children?
Kills those down the wheels chain…trucks/buses>SUVs>cars>motorbikes>mobility scooters>cycles>pedestrians

Ego substitute; be honest.
So many purchase to satisfy desires or what they lack.
A weak person buys an SUV to feel safe and status symbol

Even trees maimed and choked
Environment, human absurdity, no right to damage other species.
Cars in nice garages, animals in wind and rain.

So:
2 legs good; 4+ wheels bad
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024