Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Utter panic mongering 08:32 - Sep 28 with 2574 viewshampstead_blue

https://www.bbc.co.uk/ideas/videos/viewpoint-cars-should-come-with-health-warnin

Really?
Cars "can contribute".....what % and probability?
Cars do cause.....what % of the damage

"If we didn't use the car for journeys up to 2km blah blah blah".......Utter rubbish. He is assuming we all live on flat roads and every job within a short distance didn't need a car!

"During the pandemic, global emissions fell"...... Ok, during the pandemic the global economy virtually collapsed.

SUV drivers are from HELL!!!! This is the pin which truly burst his bubble......SUV's are based on generic platforms. What about large saloon cars, large estate cars, small saloons/estates........

This is classic panic journalism. He wants to shame people.
Who paid him to create this tripe?
This is classic panic mongering. He wants to shame drivers

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Utter panic mongering on 14:07 - Sep 28 with 398 viewsGeoffSentence

Utter panic mongering on 10:54 - Sep 28 by hampstead_blue

Public Health England estimates that between 10,000 and 30,000 people die early due to air pollution in England alone each year.

How many die from smoking? Nigh on 100k.

Only Steve has managed to address the point. He said that it wasn't "journalism but an opinion piece".
I find it a very poor opinion piece. That's my point. All he wants to do is whip up panic.

Where is the piece which talks about the innovation in the automotive sector? You all seem to want to ignore that and focus on "car = bad". In reality car=job=food to your table=civilised society.

Sorry but he wants us all to cycle and walk! What a joke. That is playground arguments at best.

I think this paincked style of writing doesn't help. It tips people toward stupid radical "ban the car and planes" type arguments. We should be thinking ahead at technology and how to innovate away the problem.

Sorry if maybe I've not made my point in a perfect way but have a look with the thought of scrapping this dumb panic and think in a positive "how can we innovate" manner.

I have addressed two of your points:

"He wants to shame drivers" that was one of your points I addressed that further up.

"None of his claims are given a number" was another one, I corrected you on that.

Oh, and in response to your over-dramatic claims, he dont think he said he wants us all to walk and cycle, he certainly wants us to think more about whether we should drive and to drive less. And that is a good thing because we drve now when we dont need to.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Utter panic mongering on 14:12 - Sep 28 with 387 viewseireblue

Utter panic mongering on 13:16 - Sep 28 by BrixtonBlue

So if you were the government you'd supply people with these BMW i8's then? The starting prices is £114,200.

Certainly smacks of white middle class, I’m all right jack, privilege.

As well as being a liar.

Why would someone give up their integrity so easily in trying to make an argument?

I guess we will never know.
Utter panic mongering on 14:17 - Sep 28 with 378 viewsGeoffSentence

Utter panic mongering on 12:55 - Sep 28 by hampstead_blue

Not sure how demonising the car is progress.
He should stop listing all the things which "could be" or are "linked to" and start looking at reporting on how industry is improving things.

His point about SUV's is absolutely pathetic. They share platforms with saloons and estates ffs!

If he wants to make a point about cars, he should be saying that certain cars should be automatically scrapped after x years.
Scrap entire cab fleets using diesel that's one of the worst. Small efficient petrol and light hybrids.

He's regressive and alarmist.

Be more positive.

We should all be driving cars like the BMW i8 or the new NSX. Now that's cool.....The new X5 hybrid is a belter of a car.

Now I know you are on a wind-up.

Utter panic mongering on 14:29 - Sep 28 with 360 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Genuine question.. is there anything in the world at all that you don’t get angry at?

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Utter panic mongering on 14:33 - Sep 28 with 353 viewsitfcjoe

Utter panic mongering on 13:02 - Sep 28 by monytowbray

Sold my car when I moved to London over two years ago

Moved back this way 3 months ago and I've just gone for a push bike.

Remove a car from your life and you'll realise how lazy it made you and how much you were needlessly polluting as an individual.

Plus you'll save loads of money.

The only thing I "needed" my car for really when I had it was the drive to Brightwell Barns from Ravenswood each weekday for work. And now with WFH (which is here to stay like it or not, f*ck corporate landlords anyway) it would make more sense for less people to have cars (or at least use them less).

I think things like Zipcar are the future really. Or car sharing where multiple people pitch in for one vehicle and use it when needed.

I can see public transport getting cheaper in the next decade to combat the climate crisis, which would work fine once less people have their own transport.

Your need to pop to Tesco or drive the kids round the corner to school aren't a reason to kill off the planet. We need collective individual ownership of our behaviour to combat the issues we face on the floating ball we call home.

These are facts, regardless of how much nonsense logic the OP throws up.

But there are also facts that a lot of people do need a car, and do need to run it regularly.

The public transport network around here is terrible, I try and do as much walking as I can, but ultimately when my eldest starts school next year my wife will have to drive him everyday and i need a car to do my job, even though she is working from home for the forseeable.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Utter panic mongering on 14:34 - Sep 28 with 345 viewseireblue

Utter panic mongering on 14:29 - Sep 28 by The_Romford_Blue

Genuine question.. is there anything in the world at all that you don’t get angry at?

Shooting people, “jokes” about.
Utter panic mongering on 14:38 - Sep 28 with 339 viewsGeoffSentence

Air pollution, clearly.

Utter panic mongering on 14:47 - Sep 28 with 325 viewsBrixtonBlue

White privilege mostly.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Login to get fewer ads

Utter panic mongering on 17:13 - Sep 28 with 284 viewshampstead_blue

Utter panic mongering on 13:20 - Sep 28 by BrixtonBlue

Indeed. He just seems to pluck most of it out of thin air. Or his arse.

Most people should be driving a £114,600 (starting price) car!!

EDIT: Or if you prefer the NSX, that's £143,950.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2020 13:23]

Nobody pays that for the i8 you fool.

You can get a decent one for less than half of that.

My point is that the car is not the problem. Technology will work around the harmful emissions soon enough so you and I won't have to worry about what we drive.

As for those who choose to give up their car, you don't need to at all. Buy a modern efficient car. The i8 is one example which, if you don't need a big boot and can afford a few £ then is a great choice.

The BMX X5 is a cracker as well. Get one after the main depreciation has done and you'll be fine.

The point of the OP, which you want to ignore, is that bad journalism is making our lives harder and more complicated. If you blindly believe anything which has "global warming" in it then you are a fool.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.

Utter panic mongering on 17:16 - Sep 28 with 276 viewsHerbivore

Utter panic mongering on 17:13 - Sep 28 by hampstead_blue

My point is that the car is not the problem. Technology will work around the harmful emissions soon enough so you and I won't have to worry about what we drive.

As for those who choose to give up their car, you don't need to at all. Buy a modern efficient car. The i8 is one example which, if you don't need a big boot and can afford a few £ then is a great choice.

The BMX X5 is a cracker as well. Get one after the main depreciation has done and you'll be fine.

The point of the OP, which you want to ignore, is that bad journalism is making our lives harder and more complicated. If you blindly believe anything which has "global warming" in it then you are a fool.

There's only one fool on this thread and that's you, chap. You don't seem to be bothered with even being faintly a acquainted with reality anymore.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Utter panic mongering on 17:17 - Sep 28 with 275 viewseireblue

When repeatedly lying on a thread, probably best not to call another poster, a fool.
Utter panic mongering on 17:20 - Sep 28 with 262 viewsBrixtonBlue

Haha! A BMX X5? So you agree bicycles are best!

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Utter panic mongering on 17:21 - Sep 28 with 258 viewsDubtractor

You are so detached from reality it is quite scary at times.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Utter panic mongering on 17:22 - Sep 28 with 256 viewshampstead_blue

Utter panic mongering on 17:20 - Sep 28 by BrixtonBlue

Haha! A BMX X5? So you agree bicycles are best!

The hybrid you silly billy. It's rather good you know. I wouldn't run one as I prefer the E Class AMG estate.

Utter panic mongering on 17:29 - Sep 28 with 246 viewsBrixtonBlue

Utter panic mongering on 17:22 - Sep 28 by hampstead_blue

The hybrid you silly billy. It's rather good you know. I wouldn't run one as I prefer the E Class AMG estate.

You are one of the Top Gear gang returned aren't you?

Utter panic mongering on 17:53 - Sep 28 with 223 viewshampstead_blue

Utter panic mongering on 17:29 - Sep 28 by BrixtonBlue

You are one of the Top Gear gang returned aren't you?

never heard of them.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024