Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Utter panic mongering 08:32 - Sep 28 with 2577 viewshampstead_blue

https://www.bbc.co.uk/ideas/videos/viewpoint-cars-should-come-with-health-warnin

Really?
Cars "can contribute".....what % and probability?
Cars do cause.....what % of the damage

"If we didn't use the car for journeys up to 2km blah blah blah".......Utter rubbish. He is assuming we all live on flat roads and every job within a short distance didn't need a car!

"During the pandemic, global emissions fell"...... Ok, during the pandemic the global economy virtually collapsed.

SUV drivers are from HELL!!!! This is the pin which truly burst his bubble......SUV's are based on generic platforms. What about large saloon cars, large estate cars, small saloons/estates........

This is classic panic journalism. He wants to shame people.
Who paid him to create this tripe?
This is classic panic mongering. He wants to shame drivers

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Utter panic mongering on 08:38 - Sep 28 with 1664 viewsSteve_M

It's an opinion piece rather than journalism.

Cars, and the petrol they use do contribute to global warming and, on a local level, air pollution and noise. But also, due to the gutting of public transport outside London in the 80s and 90s, they are also essential for people in many areas.

You do seem to look for articles that trigger rage in you, it really isn't helpful. Critique the piece rationally if you want but this is just another angry post from you.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Utter panic mongering on 09:05 - Sep 28 with 1613 viewsGeoffSentence

He doesnt want to shame drivers. He wants to cut air pollution, save lives and improve people's health.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Utter panic mongering on 09:07 - Sep 28 with 1608 viewsDubtractor

Such a snowflake.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Utter panic mongering on 09:14 - Sep 28 with 1585 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Fish, iron, rumours and now panic. Where will it all end?

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Utter panic mongering on 09:16 - Sep 28 with 1575 viewsWeWereZombies

On yer bike, sunshine...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Utter panic mongering on 09:17 - Sep 28 with 1565 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Morning Hampstead

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Utter panic mongering on 09:22 - Sep 28 with 1542 viewsgordon

I don't know if the clip's any good, but I'd pay good money to watch a live stream of you watching it, Gogglebox style. Could be your calling.
Utter panic mongering on 09:22 - Sep 28 with 1539 viewshomer_123

Utter panic mongering on 09:07 - Sep 28 by Dubtractor

Such a snowflake.

In Autumn? ;)

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Utter panic mongering on 09:25 - Sep 28 with 1529 viewsPJH

Utter panic mongering on 09:22 - Sep 28 by homer_123

In Autumn? ;)

It's to do with climate change I think.
Utter panic mongering on 09:40 - Sep 28 with 1491 viewsWeWereZombies

Utter panic mongering on 09:25 - Sep 28 by PJH

It's to do with climate change I think.

As in the climate of TWTD always changes for the worse when Hampstead posts?

Utter panic mongering on 09:41 - Sep 28 with 1485 viewseireblue

Always fun to see a fundamentalist believer like yourself getting irrationally angry.
Utter panic mongering on 09:45 - Sep 28 with 1464 viewsBrixtonBlue

I think it's a great idea. Cars do cause pollution and we do hop in them fairly easily without thinking about it. A warning on the side would make people think about how necessary that journey really is.

Many would just shrug of course and carry on as normal. I suspected very few would get as angry as you seem to be.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Utter panic mongering on 09:59 - Sep 28 with 1425 viewshampstead_blue

Utter panic mongering on 08:38 - Sep 28 by Steve_M

It's an opinion piece rather than journalism.

Cars, and the petrol they use do contribute to global warming and, on a local level, air pollution and noise. But also, due to the gutting of public transport outside London in the 80s and 90s, they are also essential for people in many areas.

You do seem to look for articles that trigger rage in you, it really isn't helpful. Critique the piece rationally if you want but this is just another angry post from you.

Opinion/journalism it has a platform and is just about as poor as it could be.

None of his claims are given a number. I'd wager that pretty much all of his %'s linked to "this can cause" are so small they become irrelevant.

Aston Martin's new DBX is a wonderful car/SUV. Aluminium to save weight, turbocharged to reduce emissions and more besides.
He would have you slap health warnings on these great pieces of engineering.

I do find it tedious that people buy this shoddy panic and doom stuff.

Edit. I like to post things which get my goat but also make me smile.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2020 10:00]

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.

Utter panic mongering on 10:07 - Sep 28 with 1408 viewsHerbivore

Things that make you angry: people protesting about climate change, people protesting against racism. Things that don't make you angry: the climate crisis, racism, people generally acting like selfish bellends. Have you ever thought your priorities might be off?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Utter panic mongering on 10:08 - Sep 28 with 1409 viewsvapour_trail

All prior members of the top gear massive ended up banned, albeit new accounts are available.

Stick to cricket.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Utter panic mongering on 10:11 - Sep 28 with 1403 viewsHerbivore

Utter panic mongering on 09:05 - Sep 28 by GeoffSentence

He doesnt want to shame drivers. He wants to cut air pollution, save lives and improve people's health.

Indeed. The problem is that the OP has demonstrated time and again that any suggestion that things should actually change at all in order to address causes like climate change and racism is beyond the pale to them. They pretend to care about these issues but any suggestion of the slightest inconvenience, including having to confront their own lifestyle choices, causes them to burst a blood vessel. I'm not sure if it's extreme cognitive dissonance or if they're just a bit of a w@nker.

Utter panic mongering on 10:12 - Sep 28 with 1401 viewseireblue

Utter panic mongering on 09:59 - Sep 28 by hampstead_blue

None of his claims are given a number. I'd wager that pretty much all of his %'s linked to "this can cause" are so small they become irrelevant.

Aston Martin's new DBX is a wonderful car/SUV. Aluminium to save weight, turbocharged to reduce emissions and more besides.

Why are you lying?

“None of his claims are given a number”

That is a lie.

Which you then go onto contradict yourself

“..all of his %’s”...

When spouting fundamentalist claptrap, try a little bit harder to at least be consistent, you are making this too easy.
Utter panic mongering on 10:17 - Sep 28 with 1383 viewsWeWereZombies

Utter panic mongering on 10:11 - Sep 28 by Herbivore

Indeed. The problem is that the OP has demonstrated time and again that any suggestion that things should actually change at all in order to address causes like climate change and racism is beyond the pale to them. They pretend to care about these issues but any suggestion of the slightest inconvenience, including having to confront their own lifestyle choices, causes them to burst a blood vessel. I'm not sure if it's extreme cognitive dissonance or if they're just a bit of a w@nker.

I was going to give you an uppie until those last nine words, your statement would be much more powerful without the. It is people like Hampstead who need to accept change and it will be much more difficult for them to progress to some semblance of reasonableness if they are continually withdrawing into their shell (even if it has been built by Aston Martin).

Utter panic mongering on 10:20 - Sep 28 with 1372 viewsgordon

Why don't you give us a number then - how many premature deaths per year would something have to cause for it to warrant coming with a health warning as described here?
Utter panic mongering on 10:24 - Sep 28 with 1358 viewsHerbivore

Utter panic mongering on 10:17 - Sep 28 by WeWereZombies

I was going to give you an uppie until those last nine words, your statement would be much more powerful without the. It is people like Hampstead who need to accept change and it will be much more difficult for them to progress to some semblance of reasonableness if they are continually withdrawing into their shell (even if it has been built by Aston Martin).

He won't accept change, he'll be in the gulag once us woke lefty bumfesters complete our takeover.

Utter panic mongering on 10:31 - Sep 28 with 1341 viewsWeWereZombies

Utter panic mongering on 10:24 - Sep 28 by Herbivore

He won't accept change, he'll be in the gulag once us woke lefty bumfesters complete our takeover.

Careful now, you might find yourself on the same ward as Hampstead when you both blow a blood vessel arguing about this...

Utter panic mongering on 10:32 - Sep 28 with 1334 viewsSwansea_Blue

You just have to look. It takes two minutes to get a feel for their relative significance. A 60 second search throws up some of the following.

In terms of CO2 emissions cars are significant polluters (e.g. a fifth of all US emissions https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/headlines/society/20190313STO31218/co2-em

Largest in road transport sector in EU:- https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/headlines/society/20190313STO31218/co2-em

In terms of air pollution in general, they are a major source of carbon monoxide, and other toxins that cause/exacerbate asthma, are linked to lung cancer & heart diseases and various other conditions. They cause about a third of USs air pollution - https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/green-guide/buying-guides/car/env

Estimates of the cost in terms of health (cost to the NHS) in the UK are about £8k per car (~£6bn total per year) - https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/cars-air-pollution-cost-nhs-vans-vehic

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Utter panic mongering on 10:36 - Sep 28 with 1324 viewsGeoffSentence

He does give a number. 500, 000 deaths caused by air pollution across Europe every year (he might even have qualified that with air pollution caused by cars).

Anyway, Public Health England estimates that between 10,000 and 30,000 people die early due to air pollution in England alone each year.

In case you missed it that it is EACH year.

CV19 has killed C50 thousand this year and we can hope that it is a one off or maybe a couple of years. But air pollution still goes on killing people year on year and unless some radical action is taken it will go on doing so.

I struggle to understand why you are so blasé about the problem of air pollution.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Utter panic mongering on 10:53 - Sep 28 with 1287 viewsmonytowbray

How do you function in the real world? I can’t imagine you are much use to anyone with such a false grasp of reality.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Utter panic mongering on 10:54 - Sep 28 with 1281 viewshampstead_blue

Utter panic mongering on 10:36 - Sep 28 by GeoffSentence

He does give a number. 500, 000 deaths caused by air pollution across Europe every year (he might even have qualified that with air pollution caused by cars).

Anyway, Public Health England estimates that between 10,000 and 30,000 people die early due to air pollution in England alone each year.

In case you missed it that it is EACH year.

CV19 has killed C50 thousand this year and we can hope that it is a one off or maybe a couple of years. But air pollution still goes on killing people year on year and unless some radical action is taken it will go on doing so.

I struggle to understand why you are so blasé about the problem of air pollution.

Public Health England estimates that between 10,000 and 30,000 people die early due to air pollution in England alone each year.

How many die from smoking? Nigh on 100k.

Only Steve has managed to address the point. He said that it wasn't "journalism but an opinion piece".
I find it a very poor opinion piece. That's my point. All he wants to do is whip up panic.

Where is the piece which talks about the innovation in the automotive sector? You all seem to want to ignore that and focus on "car = bad". In reality car=job=food to your table=civilised society.

Sorry but he wants us all to cycle and walk! What a joke. That is playground arguments at best.

I think this paincked style of writing doesn't help. It tips people toward stupid radical "ban the car and planes" type arguments. We should be thinking ahead at technology and how to innovate away the problem.

Sorry if maybe I've not made my point in a perfect way but have a look with the thought of scrapping this dumb panic and think in a positive "how can we innovate" manner.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024