Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This winger that Lambert is after then... 09:05 - Sep 28 with 3377 viewsTractorBoyOlly

A) Do we need him?

B) Will we actually sign him before the deadline?

Poll: Final points total?

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 12:39 - Sep 28 with 699 viewsitfcjoe

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 10:10 - Sep 28 by StokieBlue

You can see the problem with Edwards in one 20 second passage of play on Saturday.

He beat 2 or 3 players on the wing with some truly excellent skill, was clear and running in towards the edge of the area and then literally just passed it to one of their players just inside the box.

Some brilliant moments with very little end product.

He's scored a few and will score a few more but his main job is to provide and he just can't do that regularly.

SB

For a player with very little end product, this season he is leading the squad in goals per 90, and only Judge, Ward and Nolan are ahead of him key passes per 90.

He's been denied by good saves at Bristol Rovers and vs Wigan as well and is getting on the end of things as well as creating currently - he;s making a real impact, more than any of our other wide players currently

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 13:07 - Sep 28 with 658 viewsHerbivore

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 12:12 - Sep 28 by jayessess

IMO when he's fit, he'll end up playing centrally in a front three and will make lots of the very confident assertions that he can't do it look a bit silly.

I hope you're right. I'm not convinced he can play that role as he likes to drift too much and work the channels and he's not great with his back to goal. Time will tell.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 13:10 - Sep 28 with 654 viewsjayessess

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 12:30 - Sep 28 by Wallingford_Boy

To play that central role you need to be able to a) hold the ball up, b) bring others into the game with your next touch and c) score the odd goal.

Kinda rules Jacko out!

His first touch and hold up play has improved since he arrived. He led us on assists and non-penalty goals last season, so he evidently scores more odd goals and brings more players into the game than anyone else in the squad.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2020 13:56]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 13:29 - Sep 28 with 625 viewsGeoffSentence

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 09:47 - Sep 28 by PhilTWTD

The comments PL made re a winger weren't made in reference to Lankester, just in terms of whether he was looking for anyone else.

He didn't actually mention a winger himself, it was put to him that he had said he was after a winger earlier in the summer, and he just gave a rather vague answer: “As I said before, if we could bring somebody in and somebody does pop up, and it can happen, and the finances were OK, then it's something I would look at.”

Fake news then! Trump would be all over it.

The EADT headline gave the impression that he wanted one and it would mean Lankester playing fewer games

"Lambert keen on new winger as Town boss tries to avoid ‘unfair’ burden on Lankester"

But then, you look into the story and it doesn't really match the headline.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 13:32 - Sep 28 with 615 viewsBrixtonBlue

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 13:29 - Sep 28 by GeoffSentence

Fake news then! Trump would be all over it.

The EADT headline gave the impression that he wanted one and it would mean Lankester playing fewer games

"Lambert keen on new winger as Town boss tries to avoid ‘unfair’ burden on Lankester"

But then, you look into the story and it doesn't really match the headline.

What is it with the EADT lately? They seem to have got a little bit naughty.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 13:36 - Sep 28 with 609 viewsPJH

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 13:32 - Sep 28 by BrixtonBlue

What is it with the EADT lately? They seem to have got a little bit naughty.

I think some at the EADT have been a little bit naughty for quite some time-certainly going back to MM's last season here and probably before that.
This winger that Lambert is after then... on 13:44 - Sep 28 with 599 viewsBlueandTruesince82

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 09:59 - Sep 28 by Bluefish

Err no. He has scored 2 absolute tap ins but apart from that he offers next to nothing and doesn't look as though he is in tune with the rest of the match. Complete highlights player
[Post edited 28 Sep 2020 10:04]

Tap ins are a skill in themselves if Edwards is always Johnny on the spot then thats invaluable.

Some players just have the knack of being right place right time

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 13:51 - Sep 28 with 585 viewsSpruceMoose

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 10:10 - Sep 28 by StokieBlue

You can see the problem with Edwards in one 20 second passage of play on Saturday.

He beat 2 or 3 players on the wing with some truly excellent skill, was clear and running in towards the edge of the area and then literally just passed it to one of their players just inside the box.

Some brilliant moments with very little end product.

He's scored a few and will score a few more but his main job is to provide and he just can't do that regularly.

SB

I mean... Yeah but we are in League One. That's the level of football we get these days. I'm just happy he managed to not miss his two tap ins!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Login to get fewer ads

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 13:58 - Sep 28 with 576 viewsPJH

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 13:51 - Sep 28 by SpruceMoose

I mean... Yeah but we are in League One. That's the level of football we get these days. I'm just happy he managed to not miss his two tap ins!

That's it really isn't it?

Edwards, Nolan and Nsiala (along with others) were apparently signed because they were good third division players.

Now, after two and a bit seasons, they are looking like they might be good third division players.

How about that?
This winger that Lambert is after then... on 14:03 - Sep 28 with 548 viewsStokieBlue

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 12:39 - Sep 28 by itfcjoe

For a player with very little end product, this season he is leading the squad in goals per 90, and only Judge, Ward and Nolan are ahead of him key passes per 90.

He's been denied by good saves at Bristol Rovers and vs Wigan as well and is getting on the end of things as well as creating currently - he;s making a real impact, more than any of our other wide players currently

I think I was pretty clear in my post, it referred to end product with regards to assists. I said he was doing well in front of goal.

Perhaps I am wrong but I feel that when he's got time to cross he's not the best - the example I gave highlighted that. I don't think he will end the season with many assists but I could be proven wrong - we will see.

He's certainly contributing in goal threat though and thus will and should keep his place.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 14:23 - Sep 28 with 525 viewsWallingford_Boy

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 13:10 - Sep 28 by jayessess

His first touch and hold up play has improved since he arrived. He led us on assists and non-penalty goals last season, so he evidently scores more odd goals and brings more players into the game than anyone else in the squad.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2020 13:56]

By your logic, that makes Norwood a lethal goal poacher!

See the problem?

RIP Sir Bobby

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 14:35 - Sep 28 with 508 viewsjayessess

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 14:23 - Sep 28 by Wallingford_Boy

By your logic, that makes Norwood a lethal goal poacher!

See the problem?

Not really. Jackson scored 11 from open play running the channels, Norwood scored 8 as the focal point of the attack.

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 15:27 - Sep 28 with 461 viewsWallingford_Boy

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 14:35 - Sep 28 by jayessess

Not really. Jackson scored 11 from open play running the channels, Norwood scored 8 as the focal point of the attack.

How was Jackson's record post Xmas?

Did you watch him play live much?

He runs about a bit..... ummm, thats it.

sell.

RIP Sir Bobby

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 15:33 - Sep 28 with 454 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 09:59 - Sep 28 by Bluefish

Err no. He has scored 2 absolute tap ins but apart from that he offers next to nothing and doesn't look as though he is in tune with the rest of the match. Complete highlights player
[Post edited 28 Sep 2020 10:04]

I think Gwions been very good so far this season.

Looks like the lad we first signed in his first few games under Hurst.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 15:33 - Sep 28 with 454 viewsPJH

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 15:27 - Sep 28 by Wallingford_Boy

sell.

Like you obviously were I was at every league game last season and based on that I would say that Jackson was overall our best attacking player and by a long way.

When fit he is likely to be our best attacking player this season too if given game time.
This winger that Lambert is after then... on 15:39 - Sep 28 with 449 viewsThatMuhrenCross

I think we could benefit from someone in a wide area with lots of pace. it would add an extra dimension for sure.

Poll: Ipswich offer you 10k a week, Norwich offer you 20k. Who do you join?
Blog: The Cashless Debate

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 16:11 - Sep 28 with 421 viewsWickets

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 09:16 - Sep 28 by jayessess

A) From what Lambert's saying it doesn't seem like we're in for a winger to improve the first team, but as someone to fill in so Lankester doesn't have to play 40 games. Which is weird, because Lankester is yet to start a game and Lambert seems perfectly comfortable having Sears, Judge and Edwards fill in. Doubly weird, because if all we're looking for is relief for Lankester then why not Dobra?

B) No idea.

Sounds like a plan but i suspect he wants regular football for Dobra not just the odd minutes that he cant use one of the others for .
This winger that Lambert is after then... on 17:39 - Sep 28 with 365 viewsjayessess

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 15:27 - Sep 28 by Wallingford_Boy

sell.

Yes, I have a season ticket. No one's record was great after Christmas but he scored 4 goals in 10 appearances from 1st January onwards, which is respectable.

I'm not arguing that he's the second coming of Marcus Stewart. Just that he's the best centre forward currently at the club.

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 23:22 - Sep 28 with 297 viewsreusersfreekicks

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 09:10 - Sep 28 by Bluefish

If Dobra goes out we definitely do need one, if he stays then we just need to use him. Sears and Judge as steady players, Lankester and Dobra/new guy as dynamic wide players and Gwion to be cover like some sort of excited competition winner

Gwion was miles better than Freddie on Saturday
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024