Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This winger that Lambert is after then... 09:05 - Sep 28 with 3383 viewsTractorBoyOlly

A) Do we need him?

B) Will we actually sign him before the deadline?

Poll: Final points total?

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 09:07 - Sep 28 with 2664 viewsGeoffSentence

I don't think we need one. Looks like it will choke off Lankester's chance of some first team action if he gets one. I'd say that would be a bad choice.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 09:10 - Sep 28 with 2643 viewsBluefish

If Dobra goes out we definitely do need one, if he stays then we just need to use him. Sears and Judge as steady players, Lankester and Dobra/new guy as dynamic wide players and Gwion to be cover like some sort of excited competition winner

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 09:16 - Sep 28 with 2617 viewsjayessess

A) From what Lambert's saying it doesn't seem like we're in for a winger to improve the first team, but as someone to fill in so Lankester doesn't have to play 40 games. Which is weird, because Lankester is yet to start a game and Lambert seems perfectly comfortable having Sears, Judge and Edwards fill in. Doubly weird, because if all we're looking for is relief for Lankester then why not Dobra?

B) No idea.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 09:25 - Sep 28 with 2571 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

I think we probably do, RW. Lankester can't play 48 games this season, and Edwards is more productive LW in my opinion. Edwards/Sears for LW, Lankester/Another for RW

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 09:29 - Sep 28 with 2547 viewsSomethingBlue

Yep we do. We need more pace in the side.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 09:47 - Sep 28 with 2494 viewsPhilTWTD

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 09:16 - Sep 28 by jayessess

A) From what Lambert's saying it doesn't seem like we're in for a winger to improve the first team, but as someone to fill in so Lankester doesn't have to play 40 games. Which is weird, because Lankester is yet to start a game and Lambert seems perfectly comfortable having Sears, Judge and Edwards fill in. Doubly weird, because if all we're looking for is relief for Lankester then why not Dobra?

B) No idea.

The comments PL made re a winger weren't made in reference to Lankester, just in terms of whether he was looking for anyone else.

He didn't actually mention a winger himself, it was put to him that he had said he was after a winger earlier in the summer, and he just gave a rather vague answer: “As I said before, if we could bring somebody in and somebody does pop up, and it can happen, and the finances were OK, then it's something I would look at.”
This winger that Lambert is after then... on 09:50 - Sep 28 with 2457 viewsBrixtonBlue

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 09:47 - Sep 28 by PhilTWTD

The comments PL made re a winger weren't made in reference to Lankester, just in terms of whether he was looking for anyone else.

He didn't actually mention a winger himself, it was put to him that he had said he was after a winger earlier in the summer, and he just gave a rather vague answer: “As I said before, if we could bring somebody in and somebody does pop up, and it can happen, and the finances were OK, then it's something I would look at.”

Ha. A rather different take to the OP then!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 09:57 - Sep 28 with 2422 viewsSamWhiteUK

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 09:10 - Sep 28 by Bluefish

If Dobra goes out we definitely do need one, if he stays then we just need to use him. Sears and Judge as steady players, Lankester and Dobra/new guy as dynamic wide players and Gwion to be cover like some sort of excited competition winner

Do you not think Edwards has been much better this year?
Login to get fewer ads

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 09:59 - Sep 28 with 2407 viewsBluefish

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 09:57 - Sep 28 by SamWhiteUK

Err no. He has scored 2 absolute tap ins but apart from that he offers next to nothing and doesn't look as though he is in tune with the rest of the match. Complete highlights player
[Post edited 28 Sep 2020 10:04]

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 10:06 - Sep 28 with 2373 viewsWallingford_Boy

Definitely don't need another wide player up top, spoilt for choice there now!

A central striker is all that is needed.

Drinan out for a while, Norwood seemingly lost it, Jackson is NOT a central striker, so that only leaves Hawkins.

RIP Sir Bobby

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 10:10 - Sep 28 with 2365 viewsStokieBlue

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 09:57 - Sep 28 by SamWhiteUK

You can see the problem with Edwards in one 20 second passage of play on Saturday.

He beat 2 or 3 players on the wing with some truly excellent skill, was clear and running in towards the edge of the area and then literally just passed it to one of their players just inside the box.

Some brilliant moments with very little end product.

He's scored a few and will score a few more but his main job is to provide and he just can't do that regularly.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 11:19 - Sep 28 with 2181 viewsBrixtonBlue

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 10:10 - Sep 28 by StokieBlue

You can see the problem with Edwards in one 20 second passage of play on Saturday.

He beat 2 or 3 players on the wing with some truly excellent skill, was clear and running in towards the edge of the area and then literally just passed it to one of their players just inside the box.

He's scored a few and will score a few more but his main job is to provide and he just can't do that regularly.

SB

Surely another winger is a nice to have rather than a must have. Edwards has at least contributed two goals and you have to be in there to score them. My bigger concern is no goals for the strikers and none of them look like they'll get too many. I'd have though that was the priority.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 11:25 - Sep 28 with 2164 viewsStokieBlue

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 11:19 - Sep 28 by BrixtonBlue

Surely another winger is a nice to have rather than a must have. Edwards has at least contributed two goals and you have to be in there to score them. My bigger concern is no goals for the strikers and none of them look like they'll get too many. I'd have though that was the priority.

I agree it's not essential, I think Edwards will be fine and will eventually end up coming off the bench to replace Lankester after 60-70 minutes.

Just pointing out that as a winger who has a main job of providing he's not particularly great.

Nice to see DaveU still going around and downvoting posts despite never contributing a single post on the forum!

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 11:33 - Sep 28 with 2114 viewshype313

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 11:25 - Sep 28 by StokieBlue

I agree it's not essential, I think Edwards will be fine and will eventually end up coming off the bench to replace Lankester after 60-70 minutes.

Just pointing out that as a winger who has a main job of providing he's not particularly great.

Nice to see DaveU still going around and downvoting posts despite never contributing a single post on the forum!

SB

That's Gwion's username.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 11:37 - Sep 28 with 2096 viewshomer_123

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 10:10 - Sep 28 by StokieBlue

SB

He also has a habit of not fully being in control of the ball at any point either.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 11:42 - Sep 28 with 2070 viewsrickw

I think Lambert's comments probably mean he's not considering Jackson in the wide forward role, so I struggle to see how Jackson will fit in with the current system.

I don't like the term "winger" when playing 4-3-3, to me I think of a winger as a player who stays close to the touchline whipping in crosses. However these days the wide forwards/wingers from a 4-3-3 system are often the main goalscorers for their teams (Salah, Mane, Rashford, Greenwood, Aubameyang, Sterling....)

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 11:51 - Sep 28 with 2012 viewsWallingford_Boy

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 11:42 - Sep 28 by rickw

I think Lambert's comments probably mean he's not considering Jackson in the wide forward role, so I struggle to see how Jackson will fit in with the current system.

I don't like the term "winger" when playing 4-3-3, to me I think of a winger as a player who stays close to the touchline whipping in crosses. However these days the wide forwards/wingers from a 4-3-3 system are often the main goalscorers for their teams (Salah, Mane, Rashford, Greenwood, Aubameyang, Sterling....)

I'd say Jacko is well down the pecking order now.

He is not a central striker, that is obvious.

Sears, Lankester, Edwards, Judge all ahead of him in the wide front roles, so I seriously think his future is elsewhere.

RIP Sir Bobby

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 11:55 - Sep 28 with 2000 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Yes if Dobra goes out...can see value if he gets 30 plus games on loan.

JL has had nearly 2 years out so can't play 40 games, still getting his fitness back .

Jackson.... sell.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 11:59 - Sep 28 with 1973 viewsHerbivore

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 11:51 - Sep 28 by Wallingford_Boy

I'd say Jacko is well down the pecking order now.

He is not a central striker, that is obvious.

Sears, Lankester, Edwards, Judge all ahead of him in the wide front roles, so I seriously think his future is elsewhere.

Not sure Judge or Edwards should be ahead of him in the pecking order, Sears and Lankester both arguable. Jackson was our best attacking player last season and I'd expect him to offer more as a wide forward than a number of our current options.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 12:01 - Sep 28 with 1966 viewsHerbivore

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 09:59 - Sep 28 by Bluefish

Err no. He has scored 2 absolute tap ins but apart from that he offers next to nothing and doesn't look as though he is in tune with the rest of the match. Complete highlights player

Goals are quite helpful though.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 12:03 - Sep 28 with 1957 viewsMetal_Hacker

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 12:01 - Sep 28 by Herbivore

Goals are quite helpful though.

I'd gladly have a player making 10-15 "tap ins" a season

Poll: If it were one or the other

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 12:12 - Sep 28 with 1915 viewsjayessess

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 11:59 - Sep 28 by Herbivore

Not sure Judge or Edwards should be ahead of him in the pecking order, Sears and Lankester both arguable. Jackson was our best attacking player last season and I'd expect him to offer more as a wide forward than a number of our current options.

IMO when he's fit, he'll end up playing centrally in a front three and will make lots of the very confident assertions that he can't do it look a bit silly.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 12:25 - Sep 28 with 1879 viewsGarv

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 09:59 - Sep 28 by Bluefish

Sterling scores a lot of tap ins too.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 12:26 - Sep 28 with 1872 viewsGarv

My thoughts are...

A) Yes. In a team where they are so important, we still have limited options.
B) No.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 12:30 - Sep 28 with 1845 viewsWallingford_Boy

This winger that Lambert is after then... on 12:12 - Sep 28 by jayessess

IMO when he's fit, he'll end up playing centrally in a front three and will make lots of the very confident assertions that he can't do it look a bit silly.

To play that central role you need to be able to a) hold the ball up, b) bring others into the game with your next touch and c) score the odd goal.

Kinda rules Jacko out!

RIP Sir Bobby

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024