Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? 09:34 - Sep 28 with 1923 viewsMattinLondon

I passed my driving test not long ago but the thought of driving by myself still petrifies me. I’ve completed the pass + course which means I’m not actually scared of motorways or traffic in general. But driving by myself is quite a scary thought.

Did anyone else feel the same and did it take a long time for you to actually drive by yourself?
Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 14:12 - Sep 28 with 309 viewsPJH

Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 14:04 - Sep 28 by Ryorry

Thinking back, it might have been the cost of the repair that was £40 and a lot more for the actual purchase - couple of hundred notes or something.

Maybe it was yours that I bought (was in Ipswich) & you'd cream-crackered it!

It crossed my mind that maybe you got my car but I cannot remember what happened to it or when.

It was light blue with a black roof.

I cannot remember what I replaced it with either-except that it was another car!
Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 14:14 - Sep 28 with 308 viewsMattinLondon

Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 12:38 - Sep 28 by Ryorry

Try short trips on easy as poss roads, soon as you can, as others have said.

But also, it's really important to focus on the wonderful positives - just imagine - the freedom to go wherever you want, whenever you want without having to think about what anyone else wants, without them chatting inccessantly or otherwise distracting you when you want to concentrate or just enjoy the road ahead of you, and with *your* choice of music, not theirs!

Freeeeedom!

Yeah, the freedom of having two small boys shouting ‘are we there yet’ every five mins. If that’s freedom then ‘f**k it’.

I’ve been on motorways, country lanes and do the school run regularly- it’s simply being by myself which scares me rather than actual driving itself.
Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 14:30 - Sep 28 with 299 viewsIpswichKnight

Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 10:27 - Sep 28 by BlueBadger

At the age of 45, having been driving over 25 years I still refuse to drive anywhere inside the M25 and have never driven a left-hand drive vehicle abroad.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2020 10:32]

I've never driven inside central London once since I passed my test in 1994. Took me about a month to get the courage to drive on the M25 and that was then just one junction and as that went well I think about a month later I was driving to Ipswich for games from South East London area.

Only drove a left hand vehicle for the first time in 2017 and that was in Northern Iceland where a busy day is classed if you see 2 other vehicles going the other way! Drove in Norway this year and it was easier than driving in the UK, less traffic and the motorways are fab that was also the first time I drove an automatic as well.
Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 16:48 - Sep 28 with 272 viewsRyorry

Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 14:12 - Sep 28 by PJH

It crossed my mind that maybe you got my car but I cannot remember what happened to it or when.

It was light blue with a black roof.

I cannot remember what I replaced it with either-except that it was another car!

You're off the hook, mine was a ghastly maroon colour!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 19:52 - Sep 28 with 248 viewsstrikalite

Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 12:49 - Sep 28 by jeera

It's different for everyone isn't it.

I couldn't wait to get a car at 17 but I'd spent a year on the road already on a 50cc bike so was already familiar with how it all worked. I genuinely think that helps youngsters who then understand the road and its workings, how other drivers behave etc.

I was then thrown straight into box luton vans and had a few hiccups with that as I'd had no experience. It was one thing getting the front through gaps but when the back is larger than the front...

That was my boss being pushy and it cost him a few quid. Your own fault dad.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2020 12:52]

Same here, Honda MTX 50 at 16 taught me so much in that year, passed car test at 17, 3 months later was driving works van within London armed with an A-Z, always had the "where ya been" when I got back though ha, but all good experience..
Is anyone else a complete lightweight when it comes to driving? on 20:03 - Sep 28 with 239 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Passed my test 11 years ago at 17, and have had no accidents (other than a couple of minor scrapes/bumps) and received no points, so I'd say I'm a pretty decent driver.

Sometimes though I wonder if you get complacent with time. I drove to Bristol and back from Colchester a couple of weeks ago and couldn't remember much of the journey after. Not that I wasn't paying attention of course, but it just becomes 'easy'. When it comes to A14/A12 journeys which I've done hundreds of times it's complete muscle memory.

OP - get out there ASAP. You've been deemed competent and you'll love it.

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024