Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
excel formula question pretty please 12:29 - Sep 30 with 1044 viewsgiant_stow

How do I copy the cell to the right using relative refs in a formula?

So I want to check down col A and where I find a match in G, say in row 7, I want to copy H7 to j7?

Got as far as this: I'm guessing the bit I need to add is to replace "yes"

=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A2,$G$2:$G$5000,1,0)),"NO","YES")

Sorry if this is a piss take, but I've been hitting google all morning and am stumped!

Edit: it has to be relative as I need to search down a long list of rows.

[Post edited 30 Sep 2020 12:32]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

excel formula question pretty please on 12:33 - Sep 30 with 1012 viewsfactual_blue

I think you remove one of the dollar signs. I think it's the one before the letter rather than the one before the number. Hoever thhis is a fast-fading memory so I might be totally wrong.

And you need to replace the "yes" with "balls".

And surely you norfukkers count better using beans?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

excel formula question pretty please on 12:37 - Sep 30 with 972 viewsgiant_stow

excel formula question pretty please on 12:33 - Sep 30 by factual_blue

I think you remove one of the dollar signs. I think it's the one before the letter rather than the one before the number. Hoever thhis is a fast-fading memory so I might be totally wrong.

And you need to replace the "yes" with "balls".

And surely you norfukkers count better using beans?

I'd rather be counting beans for sure.

Thanks for the tip - off to try it.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

excel formula question pretty please on 12:46 - Sep 30 with 947 viewsclive_baker

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're asking. Your lookup value is in column A, and your range is column G. If the value in column A occurs in column G, you want to copy the value in column H to column J?

This formula in column J might do the trick, unless I've misunderstood:

=IFERROR(IF(VLOOKUP(A1,$G$1:$G$200,1,0),H1,"-"),0)
[Post edited 30 Sep 2020 12:48]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

excel formula question pretty please on 12:47 - Sep 30 with 941 viewsClapham_Junction

Is this row specific (so only rows where A and G match), or any cases where what's in column G exists somewhere in column A?
excel formula question pretty please on 12:50 - Sep 30 with 921 viewsgiant_stow

excel formula question pretty please on 12:46 - Sep 30 by clive_baker

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're asking. Your lookup value is in column A, and your range is column G. If the value in column A occurs in column G, you want to copy the value in column H to column J?

This formula in column J might do the trick, unless I've misunderstood:

=IFERROR(IF(VLOOKUP(A1,$G$1:$G$200,1,0),H1,"-"),0)
[Post edited 30 Sep 2020 12:48]

Yeah thats part of my problem - not entirely sure what I'm asking! Off to try it - thanks!

Edit: no joy, but thanks for trying. appreciated.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2020 12:55]

excel formula question pretty please on 12:53 - Sep 30 with 909 viewsgiant_stow

excel formula question pretty please on 12:47 - Sep 30 by Clapham_Junction

Is this row specific (so only rows where A and G match), or any cases where what's in column G exists somewhere in column A?

Thanks for the answer - what's in Col A and G won't match by row, so the latter.

basically, i have a list of countries in Col A (where an order was placed), a list of countries in col G and need to copy a Sage country code for each transaction (country codes in Col H)

I want to end up with:

A / J
Transaction country / Country code

excel formula question pretty please on 13:01 - Sep 30 with 883 viewsClapham_Junction

excel formula question pretty please on 12:53 - Sep 30 by giant_stow

Thanks for the answer - what's in Col A and G won't match by row, so the latter.

basically, i have a list of countries in Col A (where an order was placed), a list of countries in col G and need to copy a Sage country code for each transaction (country codes in Col H)

I want to end up with:

A / J
Transaction country / Country code

Try (in cell J2)

=IFERROR(IF(MATCH(G2,$A:$A,0),H2),"")
[Post edited 30 Sep 2020 13:03]
excel formula question pretty please on 13:08 - Sep 30 with 856 viewsgiant_stow

excel formula question pretty please on 13:01 - Sep 30 by Clapham_Junction

Try (in cell J2)

Thanks loads - not quite there, but I think I see where you're going, so will try from there.

Much appreciated - you're a gent.

Login to get fewer ads

excel formula question pretty please on 13:34 - Sep 30 with 818 viewsfactual_blue

excel formula question pretty please on 13:01 - Sep 30 by Clapham_Junction

Try (in cell J2)

Never try anything in, or to do with J2.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

excel formula question pretty please on 13:42 - Sep 30 with 803 viewsStokieBlue

=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A2,$G$2:$G$50000,0)),INDEX($H$2:$H$50000,MATCH(A2,$G$2:$G$50000,0)),"NO")

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

excel formula question pretty please on 13:49 - Sep 30 with 785 viewsgiant_stow

excel formula question pretty please on 13:42 - Sep 30 by StokieBlue

=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A2,$G$2:$G$50000,0)),INDEX($H$2:$H$50000,MATCH(A2,$G$2:$G$50000,0)),"NO")

SB

You did it! I don't know how (edit, as in I don;t really understand the code but it works), but thanks so much. pm to come
[Post edited 30 Sep 2020 13:52]

excel formula question pretty please on 14:24 - Sep 30 with 737 viewsClapham_Junction

excel formula question pretty please on 13:42 - Sep 30 by StokieBlue

SB

Ah, it looks like I misunderstood ullaa's request. I thought column G was the primary column for selecting the match, not column A...

If you reverse the A and G in the formula I suggested above, I think it should work too?
excel formula question pretty please on 14:37 - Sep 30 with 715 viewsStokieBlue

excel formula question pretty please on 14:24 - Sep 30 by Clapham_Junction

Ah, it looks like I misunderstood ullaa's request. I thought column G was the primary column for selecting the match, not column A...

If you reverse the A and G in the formula I suggested above, I think it should work too?

I don't think so because the values in G and H are not synchronised with the values in A so in the formula you posted where you say H2 needs to be a column range and the correct index needs to be selected with the result of the lookup of A against G.

I've not thought about it a lot though so you might be right!

SB
[Post edited 30 Sep 2020 15:02]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

excel formula question pretty please on 14:56 - Sep 30 with 691 viewsKeno

surely with all your extra digits you can just do this by hand and maybe foot?

(sorry I cant offer any actual help but Id be interested to know if you get it sorted)

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

excel formula question pretty please on 18:22 - Sep 30 with 591 viewsgiant_stow

excel formula question pretty please on 14:56 - Sep 30 by Keno

surely with all your extra digits you can just do this by hand and maybe foot?

(sorry I cant offer any actual help but Id be interested to know if you get it sorted)

The numerous extra digits (I'm actually a record breaker in my world) were no use in this case, but thanks to everyone again.

excel formula question pretty please on 18:28 - Sep 30 with 580 viewsKeno

excel formula question pretty please on 18:22 - Sep 30 by giant_stow

The numerous extra digits (I'm actually a record breaker in my world) were no use in this case, but thanks to everyone again.

I was chuffed when I learnt how to do compound interest on an excel sheet

its a very handy bit of software

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024