Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Interesting Covid article here 10:15 - Oct 1 with 1344 viewsSteve_M

Summary of that we know and don't know about infection rates, there is an awful lot in the latter category still.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/09/k-overlooked-variable-driving

"Using genomic analysis, researchers in New Zealand looked at more than half the confirmed cases in the country and found a staggering 277 separate introductions in the early months, but also that only 19 percent of introductions led to more than one additional case ........ Meanwhile, in Daegu, South Korea, just one woman, dubbed Patient 31, generated more than 5,000 known cases in a megachurch cluster."

Without a better understanding of why such variability exists it is very difficult to tailor restrictions to manage the virus. Globally, knowledge is probably better but half-arsed policies and outright denialism make that harder.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Interesting Covid article here on 10:24 - Oct 1 with 1322 viewsStokieBlue

There really is a lot we don't know about C19 still, in reality it's early days with regards to studying a new disease.

I was listening to a podcast run by a neurosurgeon the other day and he was saying that he is seeing patients now with all kinds of post-C19 issues and nobody really knows what the longer-term effects of having a bad case can be. This is what makes the arguments made by some that it only really affects old or sick people premature.

I also saw that a 19 year old died yesterday in the US because C19 attacked his brain rather than respiratory system:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/coronavirus-north-carolina-col

Simply a lot we don't know.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Interesting Covid article here on 10:29 - Oct 1 with 1313 viewsBlueBadger

Interesting Covid article here on 10:24 - Oct 1 by StokieBlue

There really is a lot we don't know about C19 still, in reality it's early days with regards to studying a new disease.

I was listening to a podcast run by a neurosurgeon the other day and he was saying that he is seeing patients now with all kinds of post-C19 issues and nobody really knows what the longer-term effects of having a bad case can be. This is what makes the arguments made by some that it only really affects old or sick people premature.

I also saw that a 19 year old died yesterday in the US because C19 attacked his brain rather than respiratory system:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/coronavirus-north-carolina-col

SB

I appear to have a persistent, but intermittent cough and chest tightness in the wake of having had it at some point this year.
One way or another, it'll be with us a long while, the next few years are going to see a steady flow of people with chronic lung and kidney changes in particular coming to the fore.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Interesting Covid article here on 11:10 - Oct 1 with 1268 viewsSteve_M

Interesting Covid article here on 10:24 - Oct 1 by StokieBlue

SB

Long covid is going to affect some people very badly, too often ignored in the public discourse even now.

This thread is worth reading too, latest on UK at present:

Interesting Covid article here on 12:23 - Oct 1 with 1224 viewsBasuco

Interesting Covid article here on 11:10 - Oct 1 by Steve_M

Long covid is going to affect some people very badly, too often ignored in the public discourse even now.

This thread is worth reading too, latest on UK at present:

My daughter has a long list of long Covid patients to triage, with poor cognition, breathlessness and no energy to walk even short distances, the main issues they are suffering month's after "recovering" from Covid. Also another category is rehabilitation following lock down, people who went not housebound, are now due to lack of exercise. The worst case was a 30 year old who could not walk more than a few paces or string a sentence together due to not being able to remember words.
Interesting Covid article here on 20:00 - Oct 1 with 1108 viewspennyfathersleg

Interesting Covid article here on 10:29 - Oct 1 by BlueBadger

I appear to have a persistent, but intermittent cough and chest tightness in the wake of having had it at some point this year.
One way or another, it'll be with us a long while, the next few years are going to see a steady flow of people with chronic lung and kidney changes in particular coming to the fore.

My doctor thinks I had a mild case of Covid in March (I had a dry cough, a slightly raised temperature, headaches and tight chest). There wasn’t really any community testing then so I didn’t get one so I don’t know if I had it. However, I haven’t been right since. I have had a whole myriad of issues: chest pains, shortness of breath, gastrointestinal issues, severe headaches, aching limbs, swollen glands, sore throat, 2 weeks of extreme fatigue, coughing up blood.

I consider myself fit and well. Ive run marathons, don’t drink and don’t smoke. I haven’t been to the doctors for years but have spoken to my GP lots in the last few months. I’ve had 2 chest X-rays, a CT scan, blood tests, sputum check all of which have come back clear. I haven’t felt right since I had whatever I had on March - I can only assume it was Covid (I’ve actually had 3 tests since - all negative)
Interesting Covid article here on 20:21 - Oct 1 with 1074 viewsRyorry

Interesting Covid article here on 20:00 - Oct 1 by pennyfathersleg

My doctor thinks I had a mild case of Covid in March (I had a dry cough, a slightly raised temperature, headaches and tight chest). There wasn’t really any community testing then so I didn’t get one so I don’t know if I had it. However, I haven’t been right since. I have had a whole myriad of issues: chest pains, shortness of breath, gastrointestinal issues, severe headaches, aching limbs, swollen glands, sore throat, 2 weeks of extreme fatigue, coughing up blood.

I consider myself fit and well. Ive run marathons, don’t drink and don’t smoke. I haven’t been to the doctors for years but have spoken to my GP lots in the last few months. I’ve had 2 chest X-rays, a CT scan, blood tests, sputum check all of which have come back clear. I haven’t felt right since I had whatever I had on March - I can only assume it was Covid (I’ve actually had 3 tests since - all negative)

Sorry to hear that, you don't give your age but I'm guessing you're under 60? which makes it all the more disturbing.

The more people that publicise these awful after effects, esp if you're not elderly & were previously fit & well, the more the message might get across to reckless youngsters (or people of any age) that Covid_19 is absolutely not of the same kind of order as "a bit of flu".

Hope you improve and start feeling a helluva lot better soon.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Interesting Covid article here on 20:29 - Oct 1 with 1059 viewspennyfathersleg

Interesting Covid article here on 20:21 - Oct 1 by Ryorry

Sorry to hear that, you don't give your age but I'm guessing you're under 60? which makes it all the more disturbing.

The more people that publicise these awful after effects, esp if you're not elderly & were previously fit & well, the more the message might get across to reckless youngsters (or people of any age) that Covid_19 is absolutely not of the same kind of order as "a bit of flu".

Hope you improve and start feeling a helluva lot better soon.

I’m 47, so no spring chicken, but certainly not old!

The most odd thing is that I feel perfectly fine some days and I wonder if it’s all in my head (especially as all the tests have come back clear) but then I feel rubbish again 😮
Interesting Covid article here on 20:57 - Oct 1 with 1035 viewsDarth_Koont

Just got the chance to read that and it’s very interesting. And probably the most logical explanation of what’s been going on around the world.

If anything it should make people take far more personal responsibility because we won’t know if we’re a super-spreader or are entering a particularly infectious cluster until it’s way too late.

Pronouns: He/Him

Login to get fewer ads

Interesting Covid article here on 20:58 - Oct 1 with 1031 viewsRyorry

Interesting Covid article here on 20:29 - Oct 1 by pennyfathersleg

I’m 47, so no spring chicken, but certainly not old!

The most odd thing is that I feel perfectly fine some days and I wonder if it’s all in my head (especially as all the tests have come back clear) but then I feel rubbish again 😮

47 is spring chicken from where I'm sitting

Glad you at least get some relief from it all here and there. I doubt it's any consolation, but many people with "ordinary" long-term medical conditions get the old "good days, bad days" thing (the good days usually happening when you have a medical appointment, the bad days when you had tickets to go and see some sporting event or whatever, that you were really looking forward to ...).

Interesting Covid article here on 21:25 - Oct 1 with 995 viewsSteve_M

Interesting Covid article here on 20:57 - Oct 1 by Darth_Koont

Just got the chance to read that and it’s very interesting. And probably the most logical explanation of what’s been going on around the world.

If anything it should make people take far more personal responsibility because we won’t know if we’re a super-spreader or are entering a particularly infectious cluster until it’s way too late.

Yes, that bit really stands out doesn’t it?

The spatial and environmental dimensions are probably fairly well understand but the human one certainly isn’t. Hopefully that continues to improve.

Interesting Covid article here on 22:57 - Oct 1 with 920 viewsRyorry

I heard in a Radio4 news bulletin earlier today, that a gene has been isolated in all, or very nearly all those patients whose Covid_19 was so severe that they had to go onto ventilators. This, the bulletin said, may be the explanation of why some people get the virus very severely, while others experience only mild symptoms.

No details given; all to be further worked on no doubt.

Interesting Covid article here on 10:51 - Oct 2 with 794 viewsDarth_Koont

Interesting Covid article here on 21:25 - Oct 1 by Steve_M

Yes, that bit really stands out doesn’t it?

The spatial and environmental dimensions are probably fairly well understand but the human one certainly isn’t. Hopefully that continues to improve.

Indeed. I’ve passed it onto my Dad who has been showing signs of wavering scepticism given the varied responses and results around the world.

Will also be interesting to see if this starts to feed into countries’ responses or whether countries are stuck in tracking and tracing the forward spread. After finally getting an approximation of that, I can imagine that the last thing the UK government wants to do is to announce a change of focus.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024