Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nice piece about seeing a football ground for the first time 10:48 - Oct 1 with 1752 viewsSteve_M

And it is grounds, they are so much more interesting than stadia.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/oct/01/the-joy-of-seeing-a-football-st

I still love seeing PR under floodlights walking across the carpark behind AXA. Coming down Portman Road isn't quite as good but I still miss it.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Nice piece about seeing a football ground for the first time on 11:02 - Oct 1 with 1556 viewsKeno

I can remember my first time at PR like it was yesterday and thinking back still gives me that tingling feeling.

The noise in the North Stand, how green the grass was, the sense of excitement

24th August 1974 **sigh**

That was a day!!

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Nice piece about seeing a football ground for the first time on 11:04 - Oct 1 with 1548 viewsm14_blue

I always love spotting random grounds when driving round or on the train.

As you say 100000x more interesting than modern stadiums.
"Far cry from small boys in the park.... on 11:07 - Oct 1 with 1543 viewsBloots

Nice piece about seeing a football ground for the first time on 11:02 - Oct 1 by Keno

I can remember my first time at PR like it was yesterday and thinking back still gives me that tingling feeling.

That was a day!!

.....jumpers for goalposts. Rush goalie. Two at the back, three in the middle, four up front, one's gone home for his tea. Beans on toast? Possibly, don't quote me on that. Marvellous."

- Ron Manager 1994

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Nice piece about seeing a football ground for the first time on 11:16 - Oct 1 with 1524 viewsjontysnut

I've been to a few grounds in Scotland and they are great days out - need to do a few more before they are all eventually replaced by Lego. Went to Montrose once - a chap overheard us talking and invited us into the boardroom for a drink and a pie.
Nice piece about seeing a football ground for the first time on 11:40 - Oct 1 with 1499 views66notout

Nice piece about seeing a football ground for the first time on 11:02 - Oct 1 by Keno

That was a day!!

Was that a midweek win over Arsenal? If so, it was my first time at Portman Road too.
Nice piece about seeing a football ground for the first time on 11:42 - Oct 1 with 1490 viewsSwansea_Blue

Ah, travelling to an away game by just heading off to the City/Town and then looking for the floodlights to find the ground.

TWTD.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Nice piece about seeing a football ground for the first time on 11:43 - Oct 1 with 1488 viewsOsborneOneNil

That was a day!!

I was 5 months old then, Keno ;)

Same though, first time seeing the PR pitch, blew my mind. 14/3/81.
Nice piece about seeing a football ground for the first time on 11:44 - Oct 1 with 1484 viewsm14_blue

Nice piece about seeing a football ground for the first time on 11:42 - Oct 1 by Swansea_Blue

Ah, travelling to an away game by just heading off to the City/Town and then looking for the floodlights to find the ground.

TWTD.

Following a random car just because it has a Burnley mini kit in the back window.
Login to get fewer ads

Nice piece about seeing a football ground for the first time on 11:46 - Oct 1 with 1484 viewsSwansea_Blue

Nice piece about seeing a football ground for the first time on 11:43 - Oct 1 by OsborneOneNil

What sticks in my mind is walking up through the tunnel as a kid and coming out into this brightly lit another world. As Keno says, the crows, the bright grass under the floodlights. Still gives me goosebumps to this day when I walk up those few lst steps and out into the stands.

Nice piece about seeing a football ground for the first time on 11:47 - Oct 1 with 1482 viewsPinewoodblue

Nice piece about seeing a football ground for the first time on 11:16 - Oct 1 by jontysnut

I've been to a few grounds in Scotland and they are great days out - need to do a few more before they are all eventually replaced by Lego. Went to Montrose once - a chap overheard us talking and invited us into the boardroom for a drink and a pie.

Years ago sons visited St Johnstone’s ground with relative who was renewing his season ticket. They were invited into the Managers office for a chat, asked the oldest if he played, he was tall for his age.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Nice piece about seeing a football ground for the first time on 11:49 - Oct 1 with 1478 viewsKeno

Nice piece about seeing a football ground for the first time on 11:40 - Oct 1 by 66notout

Was that a midweek win over Arsenal? If so, it was my first time at Portman Road too.

That was the Saturday game vs Burnley

the following Tuesday we played Arsenal

we won both games

TWTDs!!

Nice piece about seeing a football ground for the first time on 11:52 - Oct 1 with 1464 viewsKeno

Nice piece about seeing a football ground for the first time on 11:43 - Oct 1 by OsborneOneNil

Lordy that makes me feel old!!

I have referred to going to the Cathedral of Portman Road

Nice piece about seeing a football ground for the first time on 11:53 - Oct 1 with 1461 viewsSwansea_Blue

Nice piece about seeing a football ground for the first time on 11:44 - Oct 1 by m14_blue

Following a random car just because it has a Burnley mini kit in the back window.

Yes, done that! Or a scarf flapping out of the window. The scarfs were a safer bet. Nine times out of ten though I'd always end up lost and having to stop at a petrol station or corner shop to ask directions.

I still remember being outraged when clubs started taking their flood light stanchions down and putting them on the edge of the roof instead. That was a life changing moment for my away days. Tbf, the whole concept of planning is still something I struggle with.

Nice piece about seeing a football ground for the first time on 12:58 - Oct 1 with 1406 viewsitfc_bucks

In my minds eye, it was a 3-0 win at home against QPR, had to google the date, but turns out it was 3-1. April 5th, 1999.

Holland scored a cracker from wide on the left.
Nice piece about seeing a football ground for the first time on 13:22 - Oct 1 with 1373 viewsPlums

Nice piece about seeing a football ground for the first time on 11:52 - Oct 1 by Keno

Lordy that makes me feel old!!

I have referred to going to the Cathedral of Portman Road

I wrote about it as ‘a place of worship’ in a GCSE or A-Level English exam.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Nice piece about seeing a football ground for the first time on 13:25 - Oct 1 with 1368 viewsbrazil1982

Nice piece about seeing a football ground for the first time on 11:16 - Oct 1 by jontysnut

I've been to quite a few when on holiday up there, got shown round Inverness CT by their kitman, and QOTS by one if their directors. Friendly lot.

QOTS is a great old ground and has the largest terrace in Scotland.
Nice piece about seeing a football ground for the first time on 13:29 - Oct 1 with 1361 viewsThe_Last_Baron

The first time I was at a Town game was to see the reserves. When I went to see the first team it was amazing. The smell of smoke always reminds me of it. I was in the West Stand and I remember how small the pitch looked. And we won which to me was like we had won the Cup final.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Nice piece about seeing a football ground for the first time on 14:24 - Oct 1 with 1302 viewsnoggin

That was a day!!

My first game was around 74 too. Evening game v Derby. We won 3-0

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Nice piece about seeing a football ground for the first time on 14:29 - Oct 1 with 1299 viewsjontysnut

Nice piece about seeing a football ground for the first time on 13:25 - Oct 1 by brazil1982

I've been to quite a few when on holiday up there, got shown round Inverness CT by their kitman, and QOTS by one if their directors. Friendly lot.

QOTS is a great old ground and has the largest terrace in Scotland.

yes been there and enjoyed the fusion cuisine of a pie in a bun
Nice piece about seeing a football ground for the first time on 15:49 - Oct 1 with 1231 viewsPlums

Nice piece about seeing a football ground for the first time on 14:29 - Oct 1 by jontysnut

yes been there and enjoyed the fusion cuisine of a pie in a bun

There’s a Lancashire name for that but I can’t remember what it is.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Nice piece about seeing a football ground for the first time on 15:54 - Oct 1 with 1228 viewsSteve_M

Nice piece about seeing a football ground for the first time on 11:42 - Oct 1 by Swansea_Blue

TWTD.

Yes, at Southend last season it was nice that the first sight of the ground was floodlight pylons over the tops of houses. A good day that one, albeit not as good as Tranmere.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Nice piece about seeing a football ground for the first time on 15:56 - Oct 1 with 1225 viewsIllinoisblue

Takes me back to late 80s early 90s and the thrill of going to numerous away games not knowing what to expect. Pre Internet so was relying on a tatty copy of football grounds of Great Britain for knowledge. Great days.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Nice piece about seeing a football ground for the first time on 16:25 - Oct 1 with 1193 viewsjontysnut

Nice piece about seeing a football ground for the first time on 15:49 - Oct 1 by Plums

There’s a Lancashire name for that but I can’t remember what it is.

pie barm
Nice piece about seeing a football ground for the first time on 17:12 - Oct 1 with 1171 viewssolemio

Nice to see some favourable talk about Scotland on here instead of the usual nonsense.
Nice piece about seeing a football ground for the first time on 18:15 - Oct 1 with 1140 viewsazuremerlangus

Nice piece about seeing a football ground for the first time on 11:04 - Oct 1 by m14_blue

I always love spotting random grounds when driving round or on the train.

As you say 100000x more interesting than modern stadiums.

Glasgow to Southampton on a plane is good for this if it isn't cloudy.

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024