Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Whats The Story & Kid A appreciation thread... 14:58 - Oct 2 with 1494 viewsbluewein

20 & 25 years old respectively. Jeez...

("The Radiohead" & other non hilarious and cliched jokes need not apply...)

Edit:- Updated with actual links
[Post edited 2 Oct 2020 16:19]

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Whats The Story & Kid A appreciation thread... on 15:30 - Oct 2 with 1463 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Radiohead suck. Not because I hate their music which I find to be very nothingy but because they became a band they didn't need to be.

The bends is one of the finest debuts ever released. Then afterwards Thom Yorke said no. We dont want to be this band, we want to be THIS band..... Kid A, OK computer. Turgid stuff that will inspire Chris Martin to form a (somehow) even worse tribute act one day and call them coldplay.

Soz Bluewein, not having a pop at your tatse. Variety is the spice of life and we cant all like the same stuff. But I can only lament the ashes of the band Radiohead could, should have been and its tragic.... That said I should have seen it comming from a bloke that abbreviates with a TH.

Whats the story however.... what an album, what a band. Oh how we need somone to again save rock n roll like those brash Mancunian boys.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Whats The Story & Kid A appreciation thread... on 15:35 - Oct 2 with 1458 viewsIllinoisblue

Whats The Story & Kid A appreciation thread... on 15:30 - Oct 2 by BlueandTruesince82

Radiohead suck. Not because I hate their music which I find to be very nothingy but because they became a band they didn't need to be.

The bends is one of the finest debuts ever released. Then afterwards Thom Yorke said no. We dont want to be this band, we want to be THIS band..... Kid A, OK computer. Turgid stuff that will inspire Chris Martin to form a (somehow) even worse tribute act one day and call them coldplay.

Soz Bluewein, not having a pop at your tatse. Variety is the spice of life and we cant all like the same stuff. But I can only lament the ashes of the band Radiohead could, should have been and its tragic.... That said I should have seen it comming from a bloke that abbreviates with a TH.

Whats the story however.... what an album, what a band. Oh how we need somone to again save rock n roll like those brash Mancunian boys.

On Radiohead that’s a very odd take on one of the best British bands ever

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

With all due respect.... on 15:40 - Oct 2 with 1448 viewsBloots

Whats The Story & Kid A appreciation thread... on 15:35 - Oct 2 by Illinoisblue

...."meh"

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Whats The Story & Kid A appreciation thread... on 15:44 - Oct 2 with 1445 viewsBlueandTruesince82

I know so many people that agree with me.... dont get me wrong, I know just as many who dont but for me anything after the bends in unlistenable and the fact that they chose that path annoys me even more than the music they subsequently produced.... its like starting off as the Beastie Boys and ending up as take that.

Thats just me, I know the musical press fawn all over Radiohead but then they have been fawning all over Bieber more recently so I definately can't trust them.

Turgid and depressing to me I'm affraid..... but you know, all art has merrit and that

Whats The Story & Kid A appreciation thread... on 15:46 - Oct 2 with 1445 viewsBlueBadger

Whats The Story & Kid A appreciation thread... on 15:30 - Oct 2 by BlueandTruesince82

The Bends wasn't a debut album, 12th Man.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Whats The Story & Kid A appreciation thread... on 15:48 - Oct 2 with 1435 viewsartsbossbeard

Ban him, Phil.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Whats The Story & Kid A appreciation thread... on 15:49 - Oct 2 with 1432 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Whats The Story & Kid A appreciation thread... on 15:46 - Oct 2 by BlueBadger

The Bends wasn't a debut album, 12th Man.

Good knowldge,cap doffed. I stand by my statement. Everything Radiohead produced after the bends is at least to my ears whingy, cringy dross that your average goth would find too depressing

Whats The Story & Kid A appreciation thread... on 16:04 - Oct 2 with 1413 viewsSteve_M

Your links don't seem to be working.

What's the Story was the album of my first year at uni, came out a week into it. I'm not totally sure it stands up musically but it terms of meaning and the Prosutian rush of memory* it remains an absolute favourite.

*Mainly hazy ones of crap beer, dodgy student clubs, great soundtracks and the very occasional bit of success with the opposite sex.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

Whats The Story & Kid A appreciation thread... on 16:07 - Oct 2 with 1408 viewsDubtractor

Sorry mate, I'm not a massive fan of either band, though can appreciate what Radiohead have done over the years by constant reinvention and pushing the boundary.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Whats The Story & Kid A appreciation thread... on 16:11 - Oct 2 with 1390 viewszonder

Whats The Story & Kid A appreciation thread... on 15:49 - Oct 2 by BlueandTruesince82

Good knowldge,cap doffed. I stand by my statement. Everything Radiohead produced after the bends is at least to my ears whingy, cringy dross that your average goth would find too depressing

“There was a point where we seemed to be living out the same four-and-a-half minutes of our lives over and over again,” Ed O’Brien told the Times in 1995. “It was incredibly stultifying.” The pressure to escape the song, now contemptuously referred to as “Crap,” threatened to tear the group apart. “It was frustrating, being judged on just that song when we felt we needed to move on,” Yorke said in an interview with the Denver Post. “We were forced on tour to support it, and it gagged us, really. We were on the verge of breaking up. It was a lesson. The way that modern music culture works is that bands get set in a period of time, and then they repeat that small moment of their lives forevermore — that’s what everybody wants. And that’s just what we weren’t going to do.”

Radiohead deserve massive credit for not aiming to churn out the same album again and again to diminishing returns, in the way that bands like Oasis did.

Some of Radiohead's output takes a few listens to appreciate - but dismissing albums like OK Computer and In Rainbows as "whingy, cringy dross" is incomprehensible to me.
Whats The Story & Kid A appreciation thread... on 16:12 - Oct 2 with 1392 viewsMullet

I remember getting What's the Story on tape from Andy's Records or Ourprice in Lowestoft when it came out and being the first in the shop so I could get a copy (there was not a rush so maybe it was the first weekend rather than release day)

Oasis are still a guilty pleasure, although I saw Liam on his Jack at Stockport station after an away game a couple of seasons back and he cut a rather sad figure it has to be said.

Seen Radiohead a couple of times and Kid A isn't my favourite but it has some great stuff on it. How to disappear and National Anthem innit.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Whats The Story & Kid A appreciation thread... on 16:18 - Oct 2 with 1366 viewsBlueBadger

Kid A is overrated, indulgent drivel though.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

I can just imagine you with.... on 16:21 - Oct 2 with 1363 viewsBloots

Whats The Story & Kid A appreciation thread... on 16:04 - Oct 2 by Steve_M

Your links don't seem to be working.

What's the Story was the album of my first year at uni, came out a week into it. I'm not totally sure it stands up musically but it terms of meaning and the Prosutian rush of memory* it remains an absolute favourite.

*Mainly hazy ones of crap beer, dodgy student clubs, great soundtracks and the very occasional bit of success with the opposite sex.

....a massive mop of "Gallagher" hair.

(this is plainly a lie)

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Whats The Story & Kid A appreciation thread... on 16:23 - Oct 2 with 1356 viewsbluewein

Whats The Story & Kid A appreciation thread... on 16:18 - Oct 2 by BlueBadger

Kid A is overrated, indulgent drivel though.

You spelt "The King Of Limbs" wrongly...

Whats The Story & Kid A appreciation thread... on 16:25 - Oct 2 with 1353 viewsbluewein

Later Radiohead inspired Coldplay is one of the more... unusual takes I've ever seen on here, I'll give you that...

I can just imagine you with.... on 17:46 - Oct 2 with 1310 viewsBlueBadger

I can just imagine you with.... on 16:21 - Oct 2 by Bloots

....a massive mop of "Gallagher" hair.

(this is plainly a lie)

That's a mental image which is likely to result in quite a challenging w*nk, I've got to say.

Whats The Story & Kid A appreciation thread... on 18:01 - Oct 2 with 1297 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Whats The Story & Kid A appreciation thread... on 16:11 - Oct 2 by zonder

“There was a point where we seemed to be living out the same four-and-a-half minutes of our lives over and over again,” Ed O’Brien told the Times in 1995. “It was incredibly stultifying.” The pressure to escape the song, now contemptuously referred to as “Crap,” threatened to tear the group apart. “It was frustrating, being judged on just that song when we felt we needed to move on,” Yorke said in an interview with the Denver Post. “We were forced on tour to support it, and it gagged us, really. We were on the verge of breaking up. It was a lesson. The way that modern music culture works is that bands get set in a period of time, and then they repeat that small moment of their lives forevermore — that’s what everybody wants. And that’s just what we weren’t going to do.”

Radiohead deserve massive credit for not aiming to churn out the same album again and again to diminishing returns, in the way that bands like Oasis did.

Some of Radiohead's output takes a few listens to appreciate - but dismissing albums like OK Computer and In Rainbows as "whingy, cringy dross" is incomprehensible to me.

Agree that bands need to push boundarie and develop . Also feel Radiohead have put out the same album everytime since ok computer..

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024