Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Very lucky to come away with something there 17:01 - Oct 3 with 2230 viewsSomethingBlue

Will definitely take it given we played so long with 10 men but the only players to come out with any credit are the defence, especially the centre-backs. Thought we'd sorted things out for 20 minutes after our goal but from the half-hour onwards we just didn't play.

Main takeaways: against teams that can zip the ball around that midfield won't cut it, need to hope Downes isn't out too long and get him in the team every week. Bishop probably the fall guy I think. Also the lack of pace is chronic. Easy to see why we have brought Bennetts in. I hope there's a way to reintegrate Jackson and also pray we can get KVY fit at last.

Two more injuries, it's just constant with us ...

Need to be much better if we are to stay in the top two when the really tough fixtures come around.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Very lucky to come away with something there on 17:03 - Oct 3 with 1811 viewsreusersfreekicks

Yep - everyone worried about our centre halves but they have done well. Too many people not contributing enough today - Bishop, Sears, Edwards and even Dozell
Very lucky to come away with something there on 17:05 - Oct 3 with 1779 viewsHipsterectomy

Holy was shocking today, Sears anonymous.

At one point Nsiala was actually shouting at Holy to stop time wasting and to get up.

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Very lucky to come away with something there on 17:06 - Oct 3 with 1770 viewsreusersfreekicks

Very lucky to come away with something there on 17:05 - Oct 3 by Hipsterectomy

At one point Nsiala was actually shouting at Holy to stop time wasting and to get up.

Holy actually made a few decent saves
Very lucky to come away with something there on 17:06 - Oct 3 with 1766 viewsDanTheMan

"Two more injuries, it's just constant with us ..."

No no, everyone gets injuries, it's part of football or something...

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Very lucky to come away with something there on 17:07 - Oct 3 with 1749 viewsRyorry

Wow re your 2nd para.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Very lucky to come away with something there on 17:08 - Oct 3 with 1733 viewsSomethingBlue

That was possibly the worst I've ever seen Holy command his box. We were just totally off it today in all departments bar the CBs.

Very lucky to come away with something there on 17:09 - Oct 3 with 1708 viewsdavblue

I thought Hawkins done well with what he had to do. The lack of service was shocking though.
Very lucky to come away with something there on 17:11 - Oct 3 with 1680 viewsBramidan

Very lucky to come away with something there on 17:06 - Oct 3 by DanTheMan

"Two more injuries, it's just constant with us ..."

No no, everyone gets injuries, it's part of football or something...

So do you think we should be looking at the training staff?
If we are getting more injuries, stastically, than other teams we either desperately unlucky or something is wrong.
Login to get fewer ads

Very lucky to come away with something there on 17:11 - Oct 3 with 1683 viewsSomethingBlue

Very lucky to come away with something there on 17:09 - Oct 3 by davblue

I thought Hawkins done well with what he had to do. The lack of service was shocking though.

Yeah, guess he was decent enough. We just looked sluggish on the ball all afternoon, aside from that little period after our goal.

Very lucky to come away with something there on 17:12 - Oct 3 with 1671 viewsBluebell

Very lucky to come away with something there on 17:09 - Oct 3 by davblue

Really. I thought he was awful.

Should have been subbed instead of Sears and Jackson on.
Very lucky to come away with something there on 17:13 - Oct 3 with 1656 viewspointofblue

I've said it elsewhere but we fell apart once Ward came off. We lost the claming presence on the left flank and everything dropped from there. With him on the pitch we were fine and, dare I say it, him coming back quickly is even more important than Downes at the moment.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Very lucky to come away with something there on 17:14 - Oct 3 with 1645 viewsreusersfreekicks

Very lucky to come away with something there on 17:12 - Oct 3 by Bluebell

Really. I thought he was awful.

Should have been subbed instead of Sears and Jackson on.

I don't think so - held the ball up quite well under lots of pressure
Very lucky to come away with something there on 17:15 - Oct 3 with 1633 viewsSomethingBlue

Very lucky to come away with something there on 17:13 - Oct 3 by pointofblue

I've said it elsewhere but we fell apart once Ward came off. We lost the claming presence on the left flank and everything dropped from there. With him on the pitch we were fine and, dare I say it, him coming back quickly is even more important than Downes at the moment.

Yep, they kept coming down that side afterwards in a way they really hadn't been, and we lost any attacking thrust too. Kenlock is a significant downgrade in that position. Hopefully a couple of weeks off will sort Ward out.

The more I think about that Downes injury the more I'm worried ...

Very lucky to come away with something there on 17:17 - Oct 3 with 1615 viewsBluefish

I feel the midfield debate is going to rage on all season. We want Dozzell in there for his passing and creativity but he doesn't offer the defence cover that Skuse did. We want Nolan and Downes in there because they give some bite and both get about. These leaves us very deep though and none of them offer anywhere near enough in terms of link up play with Hawkins. Bishop is our most forward thinking midfielder so how do we make it work?

It is a good defensive point but the same cracks are there and they were exposed today. The wide players do not offer enough, you cannot carry Edwards for 90% of the game in the hope he will run fast at some point. Sears is more involved but struggles to carry any real threat. Hawkins was so isolated while we pumped balls at him, if you play a target man you have to have players around him or give him a chance to make some stick.

They aren't new problems for this season or last season and they are worrying.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Very lucky to come away with something there on 17:21 - Oct 3 with 1599 viewsSomethingBlue

Very lucky to come away with something there on 17:17 - Oct 3 by Bluefish

I feel the midfield debate is going to rage on all season. We want Dozzell in there for his passing and creativity but he doesn't offer the defence cover that Skuse did. We want Nolan and Downes in there because they give some bite and both get about. These leaves us very deep though and none of them offer anywhere near enough in terms of link up play with Hawkins. Bishop is our most forward thinking midfielder so how do we make it work?

It is a good defensive point but the same cracks are there and they were exposed today. The wide players do not offer enough, you cannot carry Edwards for 90% of the game in the hope he will run fast at some point. Sears is more involved but struggles to carry any real threat. Hawkins was so isolated while we pumped balls at him, if you play a target man you have to have players around him or give him a chance to make some stick.

We've been quite good at getting players into the box so far this season, much better than in the past few years anyway, and showed it again for the goal but from about 30 minutes onwards we just disappeared. You're right about the balance issue; I don't really know what the answer is and it might require a degree of rotation — much as we want to minimise that — depending on situation and opponents. Hopefully Downes isn't out for long enough to effectively render the discussion irrelevant ...

Hopefully we have remedied the pace out wide issue with Bennetts, he will definitely offer that.

Very lucky to come away with something there on 17:26 - Oct 3 with 1557 viewsBluefish

Very lucky to come away with something there on 17:21 - Oct 3 by SomethingBlue

We've been quite good at getting players into the box so far this season, much better than in the past few years anyway, and showed it again for the goal but from about 30 minutes onwards we just disappeared. You're right about the balance issue; I don't really know what the answer is and it might require a degree of rotation — much as we want to minimise that — depending on situation and opponents. Hopefully Downes isn't out for long enough to effectively render the discussion irrelevant ...

Hopefully we have remedied the pace out wide issue with Bennetts, he will definitely offer that.

The new bloke is has to move well enough to bridge the gap from midfield to forward or he needs to be involved and clever enough like Lankester. Judge is clever enough but seems to have no drive at all, sears has some drive but no pace and gwion is just not a footballer. I am happy at the signing without knowing anything about him because we have a problem there. I would keep Dobra

Toto was excellent, Chambers made some important blocks. Wilson is too deep for me and kenlock showed how good ward is

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Very lucky to come away with something there on 17:42 - Oct 3 with 1512 viewsScuzzer

Very lucky to come away with something there on 17:06 - Oct 3 by reusersfreekicks

Holy actually made a few decent saves

I thought he wasnt too bad until their goal went in.
After that he started flapping at crosses into the 6 yard box.
Wouldn't say he wa awful though.

Established 1968

Very lucky to come away with something there on 17:50 - Oct 3 with 1483 viewsgrow_our_own

Very lucky to come away with something there on 17:17 - Oct 3 by Bluefish

I think our best midfield is Bishop, Dozzell & Downes.
Nolan has contributed some goals and is better than last season, but offers too little with the ball. His forward-pass-completion % is woeful. Downes of last season is our best player, and Bishop is having his best injury-free spell of his career and if he improves, is the kind of player we can build a team around. Whereas Nolan is a known quantity.

Then the front three, I'd have Edwards & a fit Norwood, but otherwise Jackson, then the left side is up for grabs. Sears offers too little goal threat, and seems happy to coast through games sometimes. Perhaps Lankester or Bennetts can stake a claim. Too early to judge Hawkins, but only one assist to his name so far isn't great.
Very lucky to come away with something there on 17:57 - Oct 3 with 1454 viewsRyorry

Very lucky to come away with something there on 17:50 - Oct 3 by grow_our_own

Nolan has contributed some goals and is better than last season, but offers too little with the ball. His forward-pass-completion % is woeful. Downes of last season is our best player, and Bishop is having his best injury-free spell of his career and if he improves, is the kind of player we can build a team around. Whereas Nolan is a known quantity.

Then the front three, I'd have Edwards & a fit Norwood, but otherwise Jackson, then the left side is up for grabs. Sears offers too little goal threat, and seems happy to coast through games sometimes. Perhaps Lankester or Bennetts can stake a claim. Too early to judge Hawkins, but only one assist to his name so far isn't great.

You weren't even a little bit shocked that one of our own players ( Nsiala ) was "actually shouting at Holy to stop time wasting and to get up" though?

Or did you misunderstand my post that you downvoted?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Very lucky to come away with something there on 18:00 - Oct 3 with 1444 viewspositivity

Very lucky to come away with something there on 17:50 - Oct 3 by grow_our_own

IF downes can get his mind, form and fitness right, i'd go downes, doz & nolan. plenty of protection for doz there.

i like bish, but think he might be suited to using as an impact sub, rarely lasts the 90 when starting anyway

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Very lucky to come away with something there on 18:07 - Oct 3 with 1408 viewspositivity

while chambers, toto & wilson have been positives this season, i do think we miss the ability to build from the back woolf & kvy can give us.

get them back fit (along with downes and jackson) and things look very different

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Very lucky to come away with something there on 18:19 - Oct 3 with 1370 viewsjayessess

Very lucky to come away with something there on 17:13 - Oct 3 by pointofblue

A bit? MK Dons started better than us and we scored against the run of play. Only period of the game we dominated the ball was directly after that, because the goal knocked their confidence a bit.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Very lucky to come away with something there on 18:28 - Oct 3 with 1335 viewsrattram

Very lucky to come away with something there on 17:26 - Oct 3 by Bluefish

The new bloke is has to move well enough to bridge the gap from midfield to forward or he needs to be involved and clever enough like Lankester. Judge is clever enough but seems to have no drive at all, sears has some drive but no pace and gwion is just not a footballer. I am happy at the signing without knowing anything about him because we have a problem there. I would keep Dobra

Toto was excellent, Chambers made some important blocks. Wilson is too deep for me and kenlock showed how good ward is

Toto defends well, but is terrible at passing longer than 5 yards. The skipper' s lack of pace is poor and he fell over at the goal. I thought Wilson was excellent.
We made MK look like Liverpool!
Very lucky to come away with something there on 20:16 - Oct 3 with 1258 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

The ref should have sent off there goalscorer in the 1st half - thuggish challenge on chambers in front of the the dugout! those were the words of the mk radio !
Very lucky to come away with something there on 20:28 - Oct 3 with 1242 viewsitfcjoe

I’ve got terrible signal so can’t post properly, so here’s just a copy and paste of a couple of messages I’ve sent on WhatsApp about game that sum up my feelings on it...

Didn’t watch - so may not be quite so annoyed. But point away from home, despite injury to key player and then another and pkaying last 20 with 10. Bad day at the office but a decent enough point.

But can’t get into habit of playing poorly (again)

We’ve won 3 comfortably and played some nice stuff, took a step backwards today - but did that pre season and got going again. Missing a lot of players and ultimately back 5 for most of game was Chambers, Nsiala, Wilson and Kenlock, with Holy behind you can’t play out from the back there

2 weeks to regroup and get everyone fit again with some nice fixtures

We’d have all taken this start without question, and whilst it’s been a pretty easy start you still have to pick the points up. Teams we’ve beaten have picked up good results elsewhere (Wigan v Pompey and Doncaster, Rochdale v Pompey and Fleetwood, Bristol R v Sunderland).

Whatever thoughts on PL longer term, getting out of this division this year is Plan A, B and C and we need him to do well. If he doesn’t see out season better for him to go if we are 8th rather than 18th. I’ve seen enough this year to think we’ll be there or thereabouts whixh I wouldn’t have said in July/August

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024