Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who remembers Kundai Benyu? 23:56 - Oct 3 with 3337 viewsMaySixth

met him the other day
signed for my local non league club

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Who remembers Kundai Benyu? on 23:57 - Oct 3 with 3323 viewsRocky

Tease us some more
Who remembers Kundai Benyu? on 00:05 - Oct 4 with 3285 viewsWeWereZombies

I used to live in Wealdstone many years ago.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Who remembers Kundai Benyu? on 00:09 - Oct 4 with 3269 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Went to Celtic. Started reasonably brightly, then they made some signings and he was binned.

I'm surprised that he hasn't made it as a professional.
Who remembers Kundai Benyu? on 00:12 - Oct 4 with 3260 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

He’s signed for Wealdstone hasn’t he?

All went a bit frosty towards back on off his time here didn’t it. Refused to sign a contract and his agent found a loophole where we couldn’t trigger 12 month extension, but in hindsight we did well to get compensation on him for his move to Celtic.

Clearly had talent, possibly another case of advisors not advising correct. Good luck to the lad though.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Who remembers Kundai Benyu? on 07:58 - Oct 4 with 2902 viewsTractorWood

Who remembers Kundai Benyu? on 00:12 - Oct 4 by TheTrueBlue1878

All went a bit frosty towards back on off his time here didn’t it. Refused to sign a contract and his agent found a loophole where we couldn’t trigger 12 month extension, but in hindsight we did well to get compensation on him for his move to Celtic.

Clearly had talent, possibly another case of advisors not advising correct. Good luck to the lad though.

Not sure it was a loophole. My understanding was that we thought we had an option but didn't when we checked the contract.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Who remembers Kundai Benyu? on 08:12 - Oct 4 with 2858 viewsPJH

Who remembers Kundai Benyu? on 07:58 - Oct 4 by TractorWood

Not sure it was a loophole. My understanding was that we thought we had an option but didn't when we checked the contract.

I think that that is how I remember it.

There was an outcry because an apparent cock up in his contract had allowed this potentially wonderful player leave us and I think Celtic thought they were getting something special.

It seems that he was/is talented but something in his character seems to have stopped his career blossoming-either that or he was not as good as everyone supposed.
Who remembers Kundai Benyu? on 08:21 - Oct 4 with 2813 viewsRadlett_blue

Who remembers Kundai Benyu? on 00:09 - Oct 4 by ArnoldMoorhen

Went to Celtic. Started reasonably brightly, then they made some signings and he was binned.

As far as Celtic was concerned, he was a cheap punt which didn't come off. Easy to see why he would have jumped at that move but as hindsight often shows, it wasn't a good move in terms of career development. He'd done really well on loan at Aldershot in the 5th tier, but the jump to Celtic was too big so he didn't get a look in. As often happens, some unproductive loan spells ensued. Mick seemed to think the lad had a bit of attitude & he's right that if you don't work hard enough, you are unlikely to make it as a pro footballer.
[Post edited 4 Oct 2020 8:55]

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Who remembers Kundai Benyu? on 08:30 - Oct 4 with 2784 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Who remembers Kundai Benyu? on 00:09 - Oct 4 by ArnoldMoorhen

It's a bit of a worry for young players. Easily influenced, and most agents are looking for a transfer in order to make fee's.

Sometimes an agent needs to see the bigger picture, like when Barnett told Bent to stay at Ipswich for another year rather than go to Newcastle.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Login to get fewer ads

Who remembers Kundai Benyu? on 08:37 - Oct 4 with 2744 viewsBryanPlug

Who remembers Kundai Benyu? on 08:30 - Oct 4 by Marshalls_Mullet

It's a bit of a worry for young players. Easily influenced, and most agents are looking for a transfer in order to make fee's.

Sometimes an agent needs to see the bigger picture, like when Barnett told Bent to stay at Ipswich for another year rather than go to Newcastle.

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Who remembers Kundai Benyu? on 08:40 - Oct 4 with 2725 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Who remembers Kundai Benyu? on 08:37 - Oct 4 by BryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Who remembers Kundai Benyu? on 08:48 - Oct 4 with 2693 viewsitfcjoe

Who remembers Kundai Benyu? on 00:12 - Oct 4 by TheTrueBlue1878

Surely it’s the advisers doing a good job? He’d never made an appearance for town and we tried to trigger a 1 year extension on the same money.

1 year extension under Mick McCarthy, or a 4 (yes four) year deal at Celtic under Brendan Rodgers?

That his career hasn’t worked out will be due to a myriad of reasons, but surely his agent has done a good job getting him a long term contract at a better club?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Who remembers Kundai Benyu? on 08:57 - Oct 4 with 2649 viewsRadlett_blue

Who remembers Kundai Benyu? on 08:48 - Oct 4 by itfcjoe

Surely it’s the advisers doing a good job? He’d never made an appearance for town and we tried to trigger a 1 year extension on the same money.

1 year extension under Mick McCarthy, or a 4 (yes four) year deal at Celtic under Brendan Rodgers?

That his career hasn’t worked out will be due to a myriad of reasons, but surely his agent has done a good job getting him a long term contract at a better club?

Fair point Joe; it's then up to the player to work hard & make the most of his chance. Of course, it's also possible that 4th or 5th tier of English football was as good as he could be, in which case the agent has done an even better job.

Who remembers Kundai Benyu? on 09:01 - Oct 4 with 2632 viewsWeWereZombies

Celtic a better team than Ipswich? Wash your mouth out...

OK, they have a bigger stadium.

They have played more recently in European competition, true.

They do win leagues and cups now I came to think of it.

And they played a big part in the development of the career of Paul Lambert...

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Who remembers Kundai Benyu? on 09:08 - Oct 4 with 2603 viewsitfcjoe

Who remembers Kundai Benyu? on 08:57 - Oct 4 by Radlett_blue

Fair point Joe; it's then up to the player to work hard & make the most of his chance. Of course, it's also possible that 4th or 5th tier of English football was as good as he could be, in which case the agent has done an even better job.

It was a screw up by ITFC, and to me no great surprise we ended up with a new secretary soon afterwards as we thought he had another year and he didn’t.

A shame, but he was coming through in the same age group as Dozzell, Nydam and Downes, a couple of years below Bishop and was seen as a CM here - he subsequently became a winger. He always had issues off the pitch to an extent - he was 16 and living in London with his parents moved back to Zimbabwe. He needed careful management in my view, but I don’t think he’d have got that here with what we were trying to hold him to contractually - he had a chance at Celtic and Rodgers pushed for the deal but presumably he let him down one too many times

Who remembers Kundai Benyu? on 09:34 - Oct 4 with 2517 viewsRadlett_blue

Who remembers Kundai Benyu? on 09:08 - Oct 4 by itfcjoe

It was a screw up by ITFC, and to me no great surprise we ended up with a new secretary soon afterwards as we thought he had another year and he didn’t.

A shame, but he was coming through in the same age group as Dozzell, Nydam and Downes, a couple of years below Bishop and was seen as a CM here - he subsequently became a winger. He always had issues off the pitch to an extent - he was 16 and living in London with his parents moved back to Zimbabwe. He needed careful management in my view, but I don’t think he’d have got that here with what we were trying to hold him to contractually - he had a chance at Celtic and Rodgers pushed for the deal but presumably he let him down one too many times

If he'd stayed at Town, I guess he would have made the occasional appearance in a Cup game & had some loans to lower league clubs so no question he was better off being paid by Celtic & doing the same thing.

Who remembers Kundai Benyu? on 10:16 - Oct 4 with 2413 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Off the back of his Aldershot loan I think he would have been a lot closer to the first team picture, ended up playing 4 games for Celtic, spending the other half the time on loan at Oldham and Sweden.

Mick tried to get him to sign a long term deal, not just the 1 year extension. I think he had greater chance of development here.

Who remembers Kundai Benyu? on 12:01 - Oct 4 with 2275 viewsN2_Blue

Who remembers Kundai Benyu? on 10:16 - Oct 4 by TheTrueBlue1878

Off the back of his Aldershot loan I think he would have been a lot closer to the first team picture, ended up playing 4 games for Celtic, spending the other half the time on loan at Oldham and Sweden.

Mick tried to get him to sign a long term deal, not just the 1 year extension. I think he had greater chance of development here.

Wealdstone is your local club?

I live a mile from their ground. Can hear the goal cheers from my garden, plenty of those last season before it ended as they secured promotion

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Who remembers Kundai Benyu? on 13:37 - Oct 4 with 2140 viewsitfcjoe

Who remembers Kundai Benyu? on 10:16 - Oct 4 by TheTrueBlue1878

I’m personally not convinced but we’ll never know - even his Helsingborg loan was off back of Larson being their manager so the Celtic connection has definitely helped

Who remembers Kundai Benyu? on 13:44 - Oct 4 with 2121 viewsPhilTWTD

Who remembers Kundai Benyu? on 07:58 - Oct 4 by TractorWood

We had an option but, from what I recall, there was a condition relating to it which hadn't been met, although they would never confirm the precise situation. Mick was certainly caught unawares by not being able to activate the option. That said, I don't think it would have taken much for him to have fallen out with KB anyway, I didn't get the impression MM had a huge amount of time for him.
Who remembers Kundai Benyu? on 13:47 - Oct 4 with 2111 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Who remembers Kundai Benyu? on 12:01 - Oct 4 by N2_Blue

Wealdstone is your local club?

I live a mile from their ground. Can hear the goal cheers from my garden, plenty of those last season before it ended as they secured promotion

No it’s not mine, I think it’s the OP’s local.

Who remembers Kundai Benyu? on 13:47 - Oct 4 with 2110 viewsPJH

Who remembers Kundai Benyu? on 13:44 - Oct 4 by PhilTWTD

We had an option but, from what I recall, there was a condition relating to it which hadn't been met, although they would never confirm the precise situation. Mick was certainly caught unawares by not being able to activate the option. That said, I don't think it would have taken much for him to have fallen out with KB anyway, I didn't get the impression MM had a huge amount of time for him.

But MM must have thought that he had potential as a player otherwise there would not have been all the fuss over whether he was contracted for another year or not.
Who remembers Kundai Benyu? on 13:47 - Oct 4 with 2111 viewsPhilTWTD

Who remembers Kundai Benyu? on 09:08 - Oct 4 by itfcjoe

Probably worth saying that the club secretary had changed prior to Benyu's departure and won't have had any effect on that, was long-planned from what I recall.
Who remembers Kundai Benyu? on 13:48 - Oct 4 with 2099 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Who remembers Kundai Benyu? on 13:37 - Oct 4 by itfcjoe

I’m personally not convinced but we’ll never know - even his Helsingborg loan was off back of Larson being their manager so the Celtic connection has definitely helped

Think you are right, it’s certainly a case of we’ll never know with him.

Only 22 and hope the lad can climb some way back through the pyramid.

Who remembers Kundai Benyu? on 13:50 - Oct 4 with 2088 viewsPhilTWTD

Who remembers Kundai Benyu? on 13:47 - Oct 4 by PJH

But MM must have thought that he had potential as a player otherwise there would not have been all the fuss over whether he was contracted for another year or not.

Yes, think he felt he had potential but I don't think it would have taken much for him to wash his hands of him. Not sure he really fitted MM's bill character-wise. I think he felt he was a bit ahead of himself, thought he should be in the first team. I think he said he wasn't keen on the loan to Aldershot as he thought it was a bit below him, that sort of thing.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024