Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The current rapid infection rate 16:27 - Oct 7 with 4182 viewshype313

Given Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Newcastle etc are seeing huge dramatic rise in cases, is their an argument to say that it ripped through the South in Feb/March/April and got stopped in its tracks by the lockdown, before being able to then hit heartlands that were not affected?

I saw a picture of the UK earlier with green, amber and red, and the majority of cases are in the north.

Or is it not as nuanced as that?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

The current rapid infection rate on 16:29 - Oct 7 with 3541 viewsStokieBlue

I don't think it's really applicable to say that.

Best estimates for the number of people nationally who have had it are about 10% I believe and specifically in London it could be as high as 17%. That's still an awful lot of people in the south who haven't had it.

Unfortunately I think non-compliance with measures is the more likely cause of the outbreaks in the North.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The current rapid infection rate on 16:31 - Oct 7 with 3539 viewsbluelagos

Bit on Newsnight last night (Always worth a watch if you want more informed content than the usual News channels) and they mentioned how in Liverpool around 3/4 of housing is in terraced housing.

Would seem consistent with Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds and Newcastle too.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

The current rapid infection rate on 16:33 - Oct 7 with 3506 viewshype313

The current rapid infection rate on 16:31 - Oct 7 by bluelagos

Bit on Newsnight last night (Always worth a watch if you want more informed content than the usual News channels) and they mentioned how in Liverpool around 3/4 of housing is in terraced housing.

Cheers, with two kids under 5 Newsnight is on far too late for me.

But wouldn't London have a similar densely populated area, which was hit badly in the early stages, which is why I'm wondering if there is or has been a North/South split in time?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

The current rapid infection rate on 16:34 - Oct 7 with 3495 viewsMullet

Labour voters innit.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

The current rapid infection rate on 16:43 - Oct 7 with 3470 viewsStokieBlue

The houses are still individual and thus if the rules are adhered to then it shouldn't matter.

Did they give a reason why it might make a difference or was it mentioned in passing?

SB

The current rapid infection rate on 16:48 - Oct 7 with 3438 viewsgiant_stow

The current rapid infection rate on 16:43 - Oct 7 by StokieBlue

The houses are still individual and thus if the rules are adhered to then it shouldn't matter.

Did they give a reason why it might make a difference or was it mentioned in passing?

SB

I don;t get why terraced housing would make a difference either - if anything, I'd asusme blocks of flast would be more dangerous if they have shared indoor common parts.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

The current rapid infection rate on 16:54 - Oct 7 with 3404 viewsPinewoodblue

The current rapid infection rate on 16:29 - Oct 7 by StokieBlue

Best estimates for the number of people nationally who have had it are about 10% I believe and specifically in London it could be as high as 17%. That's still an awful lot of people in the south who haven't had it.

Unfortunately I think non-compliance with measures is the more likely cause of the outbreaks in the North.

SB

Assisted by density of housing etc.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

The current rapid infection rate on 16:56 - Oct 7 with 3393 viewsBluefish

Seems to be just ripping around Unis

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Login to get fewer ads

The current rapid infection rate on 16:56 - Oct 7 with 3394 viewsStokieBlue

The current rapid infection rate on 16:54 - Oct 7 by Pinewoodblue

Assisted by density of housing etc.

Why does density of housing matter if people are sticking to the rules?

SB

The current rapid infection rate on 16:58 - Oct 7 with 3387 viewsOldsmoker

It seems that areas that don't have successful footy teams are doing alright.
Devon, Cornwall, Wales, Norfolk, Suffolk have all got lower infection rates.
However, Scotland have high infection rates but with no teams of any note it makes me wonder if that theory is correct.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

The current rapid infection rate on 16:59 - Oct 7 with 3376 viewsSpruceMoose

The current rapid infection rate on 16:56 - Oct 7 by StokieBlue

Why does density of housing matter if people are sticking to the rules?

SB

I was going to say, unless a street of terraced houses or apartment building all have interconnected HVAC with inadequate MERV filtration what does density matter if everyone is just sat at home?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

The current rapid infection rate on 17:01 - Oct 7 with 3370 viewsbluelagos

The current rapid infection rate on 16:43 - Oct 7 by StokieBlue

SB

Mentioned in passing - but I think the gist of it was that higher density areas would have more people in the shops, on the buses etc.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

The current rapid infection rate on 17:18 - Oct 7 with 3312 viewsfactual_blue

Divine retribution for the 'red wall', 'get brexit done' voters.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

The current rapid infection rate on 17:23 - Oct 7 with 3305 viewsFreddies_Ears

SB

Some weeks ago, it was reported that large household units were a source of concern for infections. I think you can now add to that a lack of compliance with distancing / mask wearing. Students hit the jackpot, being perfect examples of both.
London is catching up again, but was slower to pick up as so many people are still wfh.
The current rapid infection rate on 18:01 - Oct 7 with 3222 viewsjontysnut

The current rapid infection rate on 16:56 - Oct 7 by Bluefish

there are about 70,000 students in Leeds alone either in big tower blocks or on top of each other in densely populated, mostly terraced student houses/flats - all going to the same shops, pubs etc. Add in fewer people in WFH type jobs than the south plus communities with large multi-generational households. Not ideal.
The current rapid infection rate on 18:05 - Oct 7 with 3208 viewsTrequartista

I thought it hit the North hard in March as well?

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

The current rapid infection rate on 18:48 - Oct 7 with 3129 viewspositivity

The current rapid infection rate on 18:01 - Oct 7 by jontysnut

there are about 70,000 students in Leeds alone either in big tower blocks or on top of each other in densely populated, mostly terraced student houses/flats - all going to the same shops, pubs etc. Add in fewer people in WFH type jobs than the south plus communities with large multi-generational households. Not ideal.

generally higher density living
more students
less working from home
more public transport use

also, people are more likely to speak to neighbours and strangers in the north!

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

The current rapid infection rate on 19:25 - Oct 7 with 3071 viewsSwansea_Blue

Some, but that may be because those Unis are testing their students irrespective of whether they have symptoms. Which means it could be ripping round the communities just the same, or even worse.

We don’t provide tests here. Students are treated the same as everyone else in the community, so they use the national test phone number if they have symptoms. The current infection rate in the Uni is about half that in the wider community.

So it’s certainly a more nuanced situation than the headlines suggest.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The current rapid infection rate on 19:28 - Oct 7 with 3063 viewsNthsuffolkblue

An interesting study would be to see what proportion of students from different areas are catching it at uni. If a markedly lower proportion from certain areas are, then it could (only could) be an indicator that the area has already had a higher exposure and thereby built an immunity.

As for the OP, that is simply speculation with very little evidence to support it.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

The current rapid infection rate on 19:28 - Oct 7 with 3060 viewsSwansea_Blue

It is a bit worrying that the local lockdown measures don’t seem to have worked though. That puts us in a pretty difficult place.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The current rapid infection rate on 19:34 - Oct 7 with 3040 viewsvapour_trail

SB

Dirty northern monkeys.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

The current rapid infection rate on 20:12 - Oct 7 with 2969 viewsBlueBadger

The current rapid infection rate on 19:28 - Oct 7 by Swansea_Blue

It is a bit worrying that the local lockdown measures don’t seem to have worked though. That puts us in a pretty difficult place.

Mainly because local lockdown measures don't appear to amount to any more than 'don't go see your nan'. Non-essential shops, pubs and restaurants are still open, as far I can work out.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The current rapid infection rate on 20:59 - Oct 7 with 2911 viewsBudapestByBlimp

The current rapid infection rate on 20:12 - Oct 7 by BlueBadger

Mainly because local lockdown measures don't appear to amount to any more than 'don't go see your nan'. Non-essential shops, pubs and restaurants are still open, as far I can work out.

I live in a "lockdown" area and it certainly isn't locked down - just minor restrictions. Everyone still going to work/school etc. Schools don't publicly release figures of Covid cases and only people within (I'm led to believe) a 6 foot radius of the infected pupil will be sent home. I can go to work in my office, travel to a depot, make deliveries to hospitals, prison, libraries and many of the staff in these locations aren't wearing any face covering with many not even attempting social distancing - although as cases have risen more people are slowly becoming compliant. Everything else still open - shops, pubs, restaurants, leisure centres, cinemas etc.

If we really want to limit the virus there does need to be a proper lockdown and for much longer than 2 weeks. We also need to accept this is not about individual rights but rather a common, social responsibility to halt thousands of preventable deaths.
The current rapid infection rate on 21:57 - Oct 7 with 2824 viewsPinewoodblue

The current rapid infection rate on 19:28 - Oct 7 by Nthsuffolkblue

An interesting study would be to see what proportion of students from different areas are catching it at uni. If a markedly lower proportion from certain areas are, then it could (only could) be an indicator that the area has already had a higher exposure and thereby built an immunity.

As for the OP, that is simply speculation with very little evidence to support it.

Would also be an idea to establish how many students picked up Covid at a party and then took it to Uni, infecting others.

Would be a good idea to enforce quarantine on students for 10 days before returning to Uni in the New Year.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

The current rapid infection rate on 10:54 - Oct 8 with 2619 viewsSaleAway

The north was a few weeks behind London in terms of numbers of cases etc.... when they released the country from lockdown - Covid was still far more prevalent than down south... again, the problems of a London centric government. They were so desperate to release london and the south, that they compromised the north. We should have been locked down for at least another 2 weeks.

Now, all these " local lockdowns" are nothing of the sort... you can go to pubs, work, school, uni.. The only thing you can't do is go round a mates house, or visit your nan, but most people are doing that anyway, as they can't see that it is any worse than sitting in a pub with someone that you don't know.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024