Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Crisis may lead to Premier League B teams in EFL 19:21 - Oct 7 with 3373 viewsMark

I have been waiting for this and here it is.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/oct/07/crisis-may-lead-to-premier-leag

The Premier League U21 teams in the EFL Trophy was the warning. Could the Covid crisis be the catalyst?
Crisis may lead to Premier League B teams in EFL on 19:32 - Oct 7 with 3301 viewsbournemouthblue

Let's hope not!

It harps back to the Premier League teams pooling and hoarding all the young talent

They are the problem here I am afraid, not the system

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Crisis may lead to Premier League B teams in EFL on 19:34 - Oct 7 with 3293 viewspointofblue

Crisis may lead to Premier League B teams in EFL on 19:32 - Oct 7 by bournemouthblue

Let's hope not!

It harps back to the Premier League teams pooling and hoarding all the young talent

They are the problem here I am afraid, not the system

It’s the Premier League who screwed up the system in the first place.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Crisis may lead to Premier League B teams in EFL on 20:10 - Oct 7 with 3189 viewsChrisd

It's what those EPL sides have wanted all along.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Crisis may lead to Premier League B teams in EFL on 23:50 - Oct 7 with 2983 viewsjayessess

Genuinely amazing to me that anyone who'd spent just 8 years working at one football club in England could be arrogant enough to declare the football league structure that's existed for 62 years (and back to 1920 in similar forms) "unsustainable".

"Sorry everyone, I run a sportswashing enterprise for a regime built on indentured labour and I'm here to tell you all the football clubs you've supported your entire life don't deserve to exist because we need all the teenagers we've hoarded to play COMPETITIVE FOOTBALL in front of 50 people in the special reserve team mini-stadium we've built."

Every single club in the football league makes enough money to pay a squad of players a living wage to play football. It just requires the governing body to care enough to actually enforce sound financial rules and to keep clubs out of the hands of tyrants, charlatans and hucksters.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Crisis may lead to Premier League B teams in EFL on 00:41 - Oct 8 with 2946 viewsLancsBlue

Well over half of regular match-going fans support teams outside the Premier League. If the Premier League want to bully the EFL and tell us that we are unsustainable and that the price for their assistance is allowing their B-teams into our leagues, then that great mass of fans who follow teams outside the Premier League have to be prepared to fight back. That means biting the bullet and cancelling Sky & BT subscriptions - it is the only real leverage that we have. It is absolutely obscene that Macclesfield Town, established in 1874, can be wound up for debts that amount to the equivalent of Gareth Bales's weekly wage or 1/126 of what Manchester City have just paid for a centre-half.

Poll: If you watch Town less often than in the past, what is the main reason?

Crisis may lead to Premier League B teams in EFL on 00:47 - Oct 8 with 2938 viewsJ2BLUE

Crisis may lead to Premier League B teams in EFL on 00:41 - Oct 8 by LancsBlue

Well over half of regular match-going fans support teams outside the Premier League. If the Premier League want to bully the EFL and tell us that we are unsustainable and that the price for their assistance is allowing their B-teams into our leagues, then that great mass of fans who follow teams outside the Premier League have to be prepared to fight back. That means biting the bullet and cancelling Sky & BT subscriptions - it is the only real leverage that we have. It is absolutely obscene that Macclesfield Town, established in 1874, can be wound up for debts that amount to the equivalent of Gareth Bales's weekly wage or 1/126 of what Manchester City have just paid for a centre-half.

Sounds like this is just one entitled pr1ck but if this ever happened the first thing I would do is cancel both BT Sport and Sky.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Crisis may lead to Premier League B teams in EFL on 00:59 - Oct 8 with 2934 viewspointofblue

Crisis may lead to Premier League B teams in EFL on 00:47 - Oct 8 by J2BLUE

Sounds like this is just one entitled pr1ck but if this ever happened the first thing I would do is cancel both BT Sport and Sky.

Dan Ashworth at Brighton said something similar earlier in the year.
https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/b-team-idea-could-return-table-coronav

The irony of this coming from someone who works at Brighton, a club which leaned heavily on lower league fans when in financial straits but is now seemingly telling many of those fans to go swivel at time of need.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Crisis may lead to Premier League B teams in EFL on 08:50 - Oct 8 with 2694 viewsfactual_blue

Crisis may lead to Premier League B teams in EFL on 19:34 - Oct 7 by pointofblue

It’s the Premier League who screwed up the system in the first place.

It was sky tv who who screwed up the system in the first place.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

Crisis may lead to Premier League B teams in EFL on 09:01 - Oct 8 with 2668 viewsBlueandTruesince82

This is the beginning of protectionism.... we as non PL fans must oppose this, the next step will be ending PL relegation to protect profit margins

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Crisis may lead to Premier League B teams in EFL on 09:10 - Oct 8 with 2662 viewsGuthrum

If he doesn't have the space to develop his own young players, perhaps he ought not to be buying so many up. Or not offer them such big money at a young age so he can afford to loan them out cheaper.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Crisis may lead to Premier League B teams in EFL on 09:41 - Oct 8 with 2569 viewsMetal_Hacker

Just makes me despise the organisation even more

I've said before and I'll say it again now as a lifelong Town fan of best part of 40 years , I'd hate to see my team back in the Prem

They stand for everything that is wrong with our game today ...assisted by Murdoch's empire

Poll: If it were one or the other

Crisis may lead to Premier League B teams in EFL on 10:29 - Oct 8 with 2492 viewsRadlett_blue

Crisis may lead to Premier League B teams in EFL on 23:50 - Oct 7 by jayessess

Genuinely amazing to me that anyone who'd spent just 8 years working at one football club in England could be arrogant enough to declare the football league structure that's existed for 62 years (and back to 1920 in similar forms) "unsustainable".

"Sorry everyone, I run a sportswashing enterprise for a regime built on indentured labour and I'm here to tell you all the football clubs you've supported your entire life don't deserve to exist because we need all the teenagers we've hoarded to play COMPETITIVE FOOTBALL in front of 50 people in the special reserve team mini-stadium we've built."

Every single club in the football league makes enough money to pay a squad of players a living wage to play football. It just requires the governing body to care enough to actually enforce sound financial rules and to keep clubs out of the hands of tyrants, charlatans and hucksters.

The English football pyramid has become increasingly unsustainable since the explosion of TV money given to the PL. Unsurprisingly, the PL clubs do hoover up the best young talent, but then those players rarely get proper game time. Hence the absurdity of Chelsea having 50 players out on loan. No real solution to this but it's not hard to see why the PL clubs want to play their reserve teams in the FL, although the benefits of this to the FL clubs are non-existent, unless the PL clubs throw them a few quid.
The huge financial gulf between the PL & Div 2 has led to umpteen clubs being run in cavalier fashion as entrepreneurs gamble on reaching the PL. The FL tried to control this with FFP, but this was ignored by many owners & proved unenforceable. There are no good solutions to this problem.
There has been a trickle down of unsustainable wage bills to the rest of the FL, although the flood of administrations/CVAs has been reduced. There were 32 in the noughties but only 11 in the subsequent decade. Invariably, it's a combination of paying excessive wages in an attempt to compete and dodgy owners. Again, no good solutions.
England is the only country which tries to sustain a football pyramid of over 100 clubs (including the National League) with full time players. Fans aren't coming back soon so it's hard to see how many clubs get through the season.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Crisis may lead to Premier League B teams in EFL on 10:50 - Oct 8 with 2456 viewsPendejo

Crisis may lead to Premier League B teams in EFL on 00:59 - Oct 8 by pointofblue

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/b-team-idea-could-return-table-coronav

The irony of this coming from someone who works at Brighton, a club which leaned heavily on lower league fans when in financial straits but is now seemingly telling many of those fans to go swivel at time of need.

Indeed, Brighton received much pyramid wide support thru initiatives such as "Fans United" would be ironic, and especially cruel, if it was their vote that ended promotion and relegation.

As I posted before almost half the prem, including Massive Citeh have voyaged to 3rd tier or below in the last 25-30 years

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Crisis may lead to Premier League B teams in EFL on 12:18 - Oct 8 with 2385 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Crisis may lead to Premier League B teams in EFL on 00:59 - Oct 8 by pointofblue

It seem as Brighton and Burnley have forgotten where they came from.
We lost our golden ticket 🎫 but that wasn’t worth the same value now!
Crisis may lead to Premier League B teams in EFL on 12:43 - Oct 8 with 2350 views66notout

Crisis may lead to Premier League B teams in EFL on 00:47 - Oct 8 by J2BLUE

I've been tempted to do just that before now but if this idea grew legs and really happened I would undoubtedly pull the plug. If enough people did that they would have to think again. Power to the people!
Crisis may lead to Premier League B teams in EFL on 13:24 - Oct 8 with 2308 viewsBramidan

Crisis may lead to Premier League B teams in EFL on 09:41 - Oct 8 by Metal_Hacker

I've said before and I'll say it again now as a lifelong Town fan of best part of 40 years , I'd hate to see my team back in the Prem

They stand for everything that is wrong with our game today ...assisted by Murdoch's empire

You must remember the reserves playing in a league on the Saturday the first team were playing away .
Established first teamers coming back from injury, youngsters being readied having stepped up from the boys team, who used to play Tuesday evenings at Portman Road.
So all these clubs with a vast playing squad how about a reserve team league? Oh, we used to have one........
Crisis may lead to Premier League B teams in EFL on 13:38 - Oct 8 with 2291 viewsflimflam

Crisis may lead to Premier League B teams in EFL on 12:43 - Oct 8 by 66notout

I've been tempted to do just that before now but if this idea grew legs and really happened I would undoubtedly pull the plug. If enough people did that they would have to think again. Power to the people!

Cancelled everything Sky 5 yrs ago even broadband and not missed it one bit.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Crisis may lead to Premier League B teams in EFL on 13:42 - Oct 8 with 2287 viewsjaykay

Crisis may lead to Premier League B teams in EFL on 09:41 - Oct 8 by Metal_Hacker

also allegedly the owner of amstrad assisted murdoch in getting bskyb the rights
[Post edited 8 Oct 2020 13:43]

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Crisis may lead to Premier League B teams in EFL on 15:18 - Oct 8 with 2211 viewsjayessess

Crisis may lead to Premier League B teams in EFL on 10:29 - Oct 8 by Radlett_blue

The English football pyramid has become increasingly unsustainable since the explosion of TV money given to the PL. Unsurprisingly, the PL clubs do hoover up the best young talent, but then those players rarely get proper game time. Hence the absurdity of Chelsea having 50 players out on loan. No real solution to this but it's not hard to see why the PL clubs want to play their reserve teams in the FL, although the benefits of this to the FL clubs are non-existent, unless the PL clubs throw them a few quid.
The huge financial gulf between the PL & Div 2 has led to umpteen clubs being run in cavalier fashion as entrepreneurs gamble on reaching the PL. The FL tried to control this with FFP, but this was ignored by many owners & proved unenforceable. There are no good solutions to this problem.
There has been a trickle down of unsustainable wage bills to the rest of the FL, although the flood of administrations/CVAs has been reduced. There were 32 in the noughties but only 11 in the subsequent decade. Invariably, it's a combination of paying excessive wages in an attempt to compete and dodgy owners. Again, no good solutions.
England is the only country which tries to sustain a football pyramid of over 100 clubs (including the National League) with full time players. Fans aren't coming back soon so it's hard to see how many clubs get through the season.

Define unsustainable? All football league clubs have sufficient revenue to be professional football clubs - everything else is about the choices being made. By owners, in relation to what they're prepared to risk to compete at each level. By the football league, in relation to the rules they make and the ways they enforce them. By the Premier League, in relation to what they do with the national game biggest revenue stream.

England is the only country that maintains a football pyramid of over 100 clubs because it's the only country with such a massive appetite for watching live football. More tickets are sold to watch football being played in the Championship than in La Liga, Serie A and Ligue Un. Sunderland's average attendance would make them the 8th best supported club in Spain. Ipswich would be the 10th. There are 15 teams in League One that have a bigger fanbase than the smallest club in La Liga. Bradford City in League 2 on average get more fans through the door than 6 teams in the Spanish top flight.

If there's a will, there's enough interest in lower league football in England to make all these clubs commercially viable and financially stable over the longer term, whatever the current challenges are.

Crisis may lead to Premier League B teams in EFL on 18:10 - Oct 8 with 2108 viewsRadlett_blue

Crisis may lead to Premier League B teams in EFL on 15:18 - Oct 8 by jayessess

Define unsustainable? All football league clubs have sufficient revenue to be professional football clubs - everything else is about the choices being made. By owners, in relation to what they're prepared to risk to compete at each level. By the football league, in relation to the rules they make and the ways they enforce them. By the Premier League, in relation to what they do with the national game biggest revenue stream.

England is the only country that maintains a football pyramid of over 100 clubs because it's the only country with such a massive appetite for watching live football. More tickets are sold to watch football being played in the Championship than in La Liga, Serie A and Ligue Un. Sunderland's average attendance would make them the 8th best supported club in Spain. Ipswich would be the 10th. There are 15 teams in League One that have a bigger fanbase than the smallest club in La Liga. Bradford City in League 2 on average get more fans through the door than 6 teams in the Spanish top flight.

If there's a will, there's enough interest in lower league football in England to make all these clubs commercially viable and financially stable over the longer term, whatever the current challenges are.

It's unsustainable unless new owners keep appearing who are willing to keep losing money & in the 2nd tier, lots of it.

Crisis may lead to Premier League B teams in EFL on 18:17 - Oct 8 with 2100 viewsjayessess

Crisis may lead to Premier League B teams in EFL on 18:10 - Oct 8 by Radlett_blue

It's unsustainable unless new owners keep appearing who are willing to keep losing money & in the 2nd tier, lots of it.

It might specifically be unsustainable for clubs in the 2nd tier to continue spending more than they make in revenue on players, but it's not generally unsustainable for 92 professional football clubs to exist in England and play in a national league. The City CEO is suggesting the latter not the former.

Crisis may lead to Premier League B teams in EFL on 18:28 - Oct 8 with 2085 viewsRadlett_blue

Crisis may lead to Premier League B teams in EFL on 18:17 - Oct 8 by jayessess

It might specifically be unsustainable for clubs in the 2nd tier to continue spending more than they make in revenue on players, but it's not generally unsustainable for 92 professional football clubs to exist in England and play in a national league. The City CEO is suggesting the latter not the former.

If they're all losing money - and 90% of them are - I would argue that it was unsustainable even pre-COVID. It would be sustainable if wages were kept down to an affordable level, but most owners want to compete or progress so they over-spend.

Crisis may lead to Premier League B teams in EFL on 18:51 - Oct 8 with 2056 viewsjayessess

Crisis may lead to Premier League B teams in EFL on 18:28 - Oct 8 by Radlett_blue

If they're all losing money - and 90% of them are - I would argue that it was unsustainable even pre-COVID. It would be sustainable if wages were kept down to an affordable level, but most owners want to compete or progress so they over-spend.

That doesn't mean the football league is unsustainable, it means the spending of certain football clubs is unsustainable and, relatedly, the rules currently controlling that spending inadequate.

Crisis may lead to Premier League B teams in EFL on 23:58 - Oct 8 with 1940 viewsjayessess

Crisis may lead to Premier League B teams in EFL on 13:24 - Oct 8 by Bramidan

You must remember the reserves playing in a league on the Saturday the first team were playing away .
Established first teamers coming back from injury, youngsters being readied having stepped up from the boys team, who used to play Tuesday evenings at Portman Road.
So all these clubs with a vast playing squad how about a reserve team league? Oh, we used to have one........

The idea that B teams in the lower leagues improve youth development is based on a myth anyway. The hierarchy at City are all ex-Barça and convinced that the process that brought Messi, Xavi, Iniesta etc. through at the same time was a regular outcome of their system. It wasn't, just like Manchester United "class of 92" it was just a freak generation of talented kids. Barcelona's subsidiary teams, like all the big English clubs' academies, produces a lot of footballer who never make it as professionals, a few who go on to play for lesser clubs and a tiny handful of Barcelona first teamers. No B teams currently play in a national league (the best ones play in the regionalised 3rd tier, the rest with part time even lower down). It's utter nonsense. A plan to mess with the lower leagues because of some half thought out desire to copy Spain, whose national team aren't even very good any more.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024