Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Following on from fruit....best vegetable? 13:41 - Oct 8 with 9029 viewsWarkystache

For me it has to be the potato. Closely followed by Pak Choi. And then asparagus

This post has been edited by an administrator

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 13:49 - Oct 8 with 2314 viewsWestover

Runner beans and I can't get them in the Algarve 😭
[Post edited 8 Oct 2020 13:53]
Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 13:55 - Oct 8 with 2294 viewsclive_baker

The potato has to be up there owing to its versatility. The baked potato, dauphinoise, mash, the chip. Such a good vegetable.

Asparagus is also great, especially baked. As is tenderstem.

One vegetable I've taken more seriously in 2020 than I had previously is Leeks. Love a leek.

Garlic too, for flavour innit. So much good veg.

EDIT: Mentions for roasted Parsnip, red cabbage and carrot. I'm basically craving a massive roast.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2020 13:56]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 13:55 - Oct 8 with 2288 viewsBlueBadger

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 13:49 - Oct 8 by Westover

Runner beans and I can't get them in the Algarve 😭
[Post edited 8 Oct 2020 13:53]

Where in the Algare are you? My in-laws live in Armacao.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 13:58 - Oct 8 with 2280 viewsBlueBadger

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 13:55 - Oct 8 by clive_baker

The potato has to be up there owing to its versatility. The baked potato, dauphinoise, mash, the chip. Such a good vegetable.

Asparagus is also great, especially baked. As is tenderstem.

One vegetable I've taken more seriously in 2020 than I had previously is Leeks. Love a leek.

Garlic too, for flavour innit. So much good veg.

EDIT: Mentions for roasted Parsnip, red cabbage and carrot. I'm basically craving a massive roast.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2020 13:56]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 14:00 - Oct 8 with 2281 viewsHerbivore

Pak choi? Get out. It's horrible stuff. Tough as old boots and basically a less tasty version of proper cabbage. I'm actually staggered anyone would have it in their top vegetables. I'm seriously considering putting you on ignore just for that, despite you generally being a good poster. Unbelievable, Jeff.

Asparagus is a decent shout but lacks a bit of versatility for me. Cauliflower is good, you can roast it, make a curry with it, turn it into steaks, a real good all rounder. I'm a fan of beetroot as well. I like a Jerusalem artichoke as well, globe artichokes are good too.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 14:06 - Oct 8 with 2265 viewsStokieBlue

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 14:00 - Oct 8 by Herbivore

Pak choi? Get out. It's horrible stuff. Tough as old boots and basically a less tasty version of proper cabbage. I'm actually staggered anyone would have it in their top vegetables. I'm seriously considering putting you on ignore just for that, despite you generally being a good poster. Unbelievable, Jeff.

Asparagus is a decent shout but lacks a bit of versatility for me. Cauliflower is good, you can roast it, make a curry with it, turn it into steaks, a real good all rounder. I'm a fan of beetroot as well. I like a Jerusalem artichoke as well, globe artichokes are good too.

Great call on cauliflower, it's a brilliant veg that is incredibly versatile and tasty. I made a nice cauliflower 4-ways dish the other week which was very successful.

Love beetroot as well (pickled is especially good) but hard to overlook the potato given it's amazing versatility.

Purely for taste kalettes are superb. How can you beat a cross between kale and brussel sprouts.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 14:06 - Oct 8 with 2260 viewsWallingford_Boy

Sweetcorn!

I love a buttery corn on the cob.

RIP Sir Bobby

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 14:06 - Oct 8 with 2259 viewsWarkystache

You're meant to boil it first! Or steam it. Goes well with a tuna steak and a bit of chilli sauce.

Login to get fewer ads

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 14:08 - Oct 8 with 2255 viewsStokieBlue

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 14:06 - Oct 8 by Warkystache

You're meant to boil it first! Or steam it. Goes well with a tuna steak and a bit of chilli sauce.

Boiled pak choi!

:(.

Fried in a deep pan with salt and garlic, add a little water, cover and steam.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 14:10 - Oct 8 with 2251 viewsHerbivore

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 14:06 - Oct 8 by Warkystache

Stop digging. I'd like us to put this sorry episode behind us.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 14:10 - Oct 8 with 2249 viewsWarkystache

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 14:08 - Oct 8 by StokieBlue

Boiled pak choi!

:(.

Fried in a deep pan with salt and garlic, add a little water, cover and steam.

SB

Sometimes I boil it with my noodles, add a bit of garlic and ginger.

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 14:13 - Oct 8 with 2246 viewsRyorry

Upped for dissing Pak Choi & promoting Jerusalem Artichokes - JA's are too little know, very under-rated, tasty and versatile (roast, baked, in soups, pureed etc). I've grown them for the first time this year, they're still in the green, 14 feet tall (higher than top of roof of shed which is on pallets) and still growing... Tho in this household I must admit they are known as Fartichokes ...

My personal fav are spring onions - tasty raw in salads, sanies; or fried, baked, in soups etc. Full of vits & mins.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 14:15 - Oct 8 with 2238 viewsWarkystache

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 14:13 - Oct 8 by Ryorry

Upped for dissing Pak Choi & promoting Jerusalem Artichokes - JA's are too little know, very under-rated, tasty and versatile (roast, baked, in soups, pureed etc). I've grown them for the first time this year, they're still in the green, 14 feet tall (higher than top of roof of shed which is on pallets) and still growing... Tho in this household I must admit they are known as Fartichokes ...

My personal fav are spring onions - tasty raw in salads, sanies; or fried, baked, in soups etc. Full of vits & mins.

Spring onions are a good shout. Though I can't eat Jerusalem Artichokes, they crease me up with wind....

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 14:17 - Oct 8 with 2233 viewsBrixtonBlue

The potato is versatile, but it's a bit of a rubbish vegetable because it doesn't count towards one of your 5 a day.

The best vegetable is obviously the onion. Like the lemon, it's used in so many dishes to make them taste better. And it counts towards your 5 a day too.

Also, there's very few vegetables you'd have as a flavour of crisp!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 14:19 - Oct 8 with 2229 viewsBrixtonBlue

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 14:13 - Oct 8 by Ryorry

ooh I love a spring onion and vintage cheddar sandwich!

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 14:20 - Oct 8 with 2229 viewsJ2BLUE

Potato - the ultimate king of veg
Parsnips and carrots
Tomatoes*
Broccoli

*I don't care about pedantry, no one uses them as a fruit or a berry

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 14:21 - Oct 8 with 2225 viewsRyorry

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 14:15 - Oct 8 by Warkystache

Spring onions are a good shout. Though I can't eat Jerusalem Artichokes, they crease me up with wind....

It's rather paradoxical, but despite that, they are recognised as having medicinal qualities good for people with digestive tract issues, as well as good vits n mins -

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/feb/02/jerusalem-artichokes-good-f

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 14:22 - Oct 8 with 2228 viewsBrixtonBlue

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 14:20 - Oct 8 by J2BLUE

Potato - the ultimate king of veg
Parsnips and carrots
Tomatoes*
Broccoli

*I don't care about pedantry, no one uses them as a fruit or a berry

How on earth can the potato be "the ultimate king of veg" if it doesn't count towards your 5 fruit and veg a day?

You're clearly a wrong-un.

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 14:55 - Oct 8 with 2191 viewscatch74

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 14:22 - Oct 8 by BrixtonBlue

How on earth can the potato be "the ultimate king of veg" if it doesn't count towards your 5 fruit and veg a day?

I work very closely with the sweet potato at the pub, covers a lot of bases.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 14:58 - Oct 8 with 2190 viewsJ2BLUE

It doesn't count because the government decided it doesn't count. Be an adult and look into what is actually in a potato and decide for yourself if it's a healthy vegetable. Packed with vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 15:00 - Oct 8 with 2185 viewsIP33

Has to be Potato

The most underrated veg are Leeks.
Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 15:48 - Oct 8 with 2152 viewsSamWhiteUK

Who decided it didn't count? Was it just so fatties couldn't claim chips and crisps were supposed to be healthy?
Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 16:00 - Oct 8 with 2143 viewsSwansea_Blue

Another vote for potatoes. Potatoes = crisps. So it's no contest.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 16:32 - Oct 8 with 2050 viewsBrixtonBlue

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 14:58 - Oct 8 by J2BLUE

It doesn't count because the government decided it doesn't count. Be an adult and look into what is actually in a potato and decide for yourself if it's a healthy vegetable. Packed with vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients.

hahaha, what?!

I am an adult, that's why I know it's science, not government, who decide the value of a potato.

I'm sorry to break this to you, but your chips aren't healthy.

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 16:34 - Oct 8 with 2042 viewsBrixtonBlue

Following on from fruit....best vegetable? on 15:48 - Oct 8 by SamWhiteUK

Who decided it didn't count? Was it just so fatties couldn't claim chips and crisps were supposed to be healthy?

Scientists.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024