Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A Thought 11:37 - Oct 11 with 2028 viewstractorboy1978

Anyone else think we are benefitting from the continuity of having largely the same squad as last season. Garbutt aside, we've not lost anyone of note and similarly, Ward and Hawkins aside not added anyone that has started a league game thus far. Without the salary cap and COVID I think we may well have seen far more changes and upheaval.

A lot of sides have had serious overhauls over the summer - with shortened pre seasons (and certainly no trips away to bond etc). We look comparatively well organised, drilled and cohesive.
A Thought on 11:39 - Oct 11 with 2014 viewsRyorry

"We look comparatively well organised, drilled and cohesive."

Only taken 1.15 seasons then ...
[Post edited 11 Oct 2020 11:40]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

A Thought on 11:41 - Oct 11 with 2006 viewsIpswichBoyBlue

They can all play football, just a case of finding the best X1 and best X1 in correct positions. Lambert seems to have finally worked that out. As long as we don't have chop and change, then the squad that was strong enough last season, should still be strong enough this season. It ain't rocket science my friend.
A Thought on 11:56 - Oct 11 with 1965 viewsArnieM

A Thought on 11:39 - Oct 11 by Ryorry

"We look comparatively well organised, drilled and cohesive."

Only taken 1.15 seasons then ...
[Post edited 11 Oct 2020 11:40]

Yes, managers dont get a lot of time these days do they .....

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

A Thought on 12:01 - Oct 11 with 1957 viewsBlueBadger

A Thought on 11:41 - Oct 11 by IpswichBoyBlue

They can all play football, just a case of finding the best X1 and best X1 in correct positions. Lambert seems to have finally worked that out. As long as we don't have chop and change, then the squad that was strong enough last season, should still be strong enough this season. It ain't rocket science my friend.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Marcus Evans should have taken a more active interest in first team affairs agues ago, he saw starlight away that Lambert should knock the Lambingo on the head and try to keep the same XI, formation and style more than 2 games in a row.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

A Thought on 07:47 - Oct 12 with 1792 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

A Thought on 08:35 - Oct 12 with 1703 viewsitfcjoe

I think it helps, but realistically that was the case last season as well.

If Lambert can keep this up then brilliant, but it does illustrate what a lot of fans were saying about how badly last season went, and how avoidable it was. We are where we should have been last season with regards to bedding something in and the quality we have should have shown then

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

A Thought on 08:52 - Oct 12 with 1672 viewsJakeITFC

This year:

Last year:
A Thought on 09:00 - Oct 12 with 1644 viewsitfcjoe

A Thought on 08:52 - Oct 12 by JakeITFC

This year:

Last year:

But the majority of our team last season were 'in the building' in 2018/19, if not playing regularly.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

A Thought on 10:50 - Oct 12 with 1541 viewsPrideOfTheEast

We've brought in exactly the right players and are playing the same way every week. Last year, even early on, the players had no idea what they were supposed to be doing in some games. This year we've got lots of injuries to key players but overall the quality of the squad is top 2 so if you play any of that squad in the right positions you'll win more than you lose at this level.

Hawkins is a good target man that we lacked for most of last season. Ward is a step up. Garbutt, whilst good, almost encourages a "loose" formation because he's not a traditional left back.

Rotherham and Wycombe were two very "functional" teams and went up at our expense because we tinkered constantly and couldn't get any sort of rhythm.

Kudos to Evans and O'Neill for pushing it. They saw what we all saw last year. Long way to go of course but we have some good players to come back in.
A Thought on 12:24 - Oct 12 with 1451 viewsElephantintheRoom

Indeed. Plus Lambert hasn't been tempted to tinker and one or two sicknotes have played.

Don't underestimate how much Covid (or rather the response to it) has destroyed the competitiveness of most teams in this division though, which is an enormous help

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

A Thought on 17:30 - Oct 12 with 1337 viewslongtimefan

A Thought on 09:00 - Oct 12 by itfcjoe

But the majority of our team last season were 'in the building' in 2018/19, if not playing regularly.

Being near the bottom of that chart last year didn’t do Rotherham and Coventry any harm.
A Thought on 17:39 - Oct 12 with 1323 viewsWickets

Yes i think you make a good point and i have been thinking much the same .
A Thought on 17:51 - Oct 12 with 1300 viewsNthsuffolkblue

A Thought on 08:52 - Oct 12 by JakeITFC

This year:

Last year:

Fleetwood and Wycombe did well last season to support the theory but Coventry and Rotherham rather contradict it.

The most important thing is getting the best out of the players we have. Of course, an overhauled squad is likely to take time to bed in too. However, a consistent system with consistency of team selection wherever possible coupled with the availability of Bishop and Dozzell are making a big difference. Couple that with developing partnerships on the pitch and we are a world apart from what we had most of last season (in a positive way).

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

A Thought (n/t) on 17:59 - Oct 12 with 1280 viewsIpswichBoyBlue

A Thought on 17:51 - Oct 12 by Nthsuffolkblue

Fleetwood and Wycombe did well last season to support the theory but Coventry and Rotherham rather contradict it.

The most important thing is getting the best out of the players we have. Of course, an overhauled squad is likely to take time to bed in too. However, a consistent system with consistency of team selection wherever possible coupled with the availability of Bishop and Dozzell are making a big difference. Couple that with developing partnerships on the pitch and we are a world apart from what we had most of last season (in a positive way).

[Post edited 12 Oct 2020 18:00]
A Thought on 18:02 - Oct 12 with 1267 viewswkj

It is far too soon to say. We had an almost perfect season up until the wheels fell of, and Lambert didn't have a clue how to steady the ship. I don't think he'd have been able to stop the rot even if C19 had not have ended the season.

I don't think squad was really our problem anyway, it was tactical inconsistency that really rammed us in the dirt last season, and Paul Lambert failed the test for me.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024