Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My view on Gwion Edwards 13:43 - Oct 11 with 9953 viewsBluefish

By Bluefish aged 40 1/2

This will no doubt trigger the usual rent free crowd so perhaps don't read on if you are already getting in a rage by just the title.

I've spoken lots of Gwion and how I see him, some people are trying to say yesterday eradicates over 2 seasons of failure for him but that is just a bit silly. Last week (and most games before) he looked like a competition winner, I have seen dogs chasing crisp packets in the wind showing more composure and reading of the situation but this week he was effective and decisive.

Let me be clear, he is not a footballer, he has the least talent in the squad but that doesn't have to make him our worst player. There is a difference between good and effective, some of the most talented players drop down the leagues because they can't find a way to use it, JET is full of ability. I have compared Gwion on many occasions to Theo Walcott and this still applies, neither of them have a 1st touch and both of them are often complete spectators off the ball but...Theo played for a team that used to be a top Premier league side and scored a hattrick for England. On his day he was devastating but he has also struggled in many ways to fit into teams. Arsenal saw how he could beat teams and made him one of their stars but he wasn't consistent enough to justify it. Everton thought they had a coup getting him but again he wasn't the player to carry a team consistently.

Back to Gwion when used well he will be effective, a big part of this will be Hawkins and Bishop and their ability to move the game up the pitch. It is clear to everyone he is better on the left, it makes him move inwards to get on his right peg and brings him more involved. Having him hogging the right touchline was a big reason for the big space we had between the lines and when he got it he wasn't comfortable coming inside to his left so it just when straight and too wide.

He is not a footballer for me but he has pace and sadly pace often trumps talent as sometimes does size. If we can use his limited ability to effect he could be a great asset for us.

We had a player previously for Ipswich that wasn't blessed with a lot of talent, he spent the start of his time here running fast in a straight line and often running off the pitch but I loved him because we found a way to use him. The player was guy uhlenbeek.

I would also prefer a dobra or a lankester but I also loved bowditch and Garvan and now I have a real soft spot for Nydam. They are naturals but if we can use Gwion well enough hopefully he can be a big player for us. If we can't he will be a hindrance. Time will tell and it will be on Lambert to make it work

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

My view on Gwion Edwards on 13:46 - Oct 11 with 2657 viewsitfcjoe

You’ve dug yourself too deep a hole in this matter, your criticisms of his ability levels are way OTT

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

My view on Gwion Edwards on 13:47 - Oct 11 with 2634 viewsBlueBadger

He's basically Shefki, on the wing. Not the best in terms of ability, but is currently doing it in a side that actually plays to his strengths.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Nah, that's mainly rubbish. (n/t) on 13:47 - Oct 11 with 2635 viewsBloots

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

My view on Gwion Edwards on 13:48 - Oct 11 with 2621 viewsBluefish

My view on Gwion Edwards on 13:46 - Oct 11 by itfcjoe

You’ve dug yourself too deep a hole in this matter, your criticisms of his ability levels are way OTT

You are in a big hole yourself by making out he is a player that he isn't. 1 game in his 3rd season doesn't excuse the game before.

Sorry if it upsets you too much to discuss it properly

My view on Gwion Edwards on 13:48 - Oct 11 with 2618 viewsSpruceMoose

Weird.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

My view on Gwion Edwards on 13:49 - Oct 11 with 2617 viewsParky

What a load of shít.
My view on Gwion Edwards on 13:49 - Oct 11 with 2616 viewsblueislander

So, it didn’t take even a modicum of talent to bring that 50 yard pass under control and take it past the defender in one movement?
My view on Gwion Edwards on 13:49 - Oct 11 with 2609 viewsStewart27

Damn

I read it all

Silly me. It’s a slow day.
Login to get fewer ads

My view on Gwion Edwards on 13:49 - Oct 11 with 2610 viewsBluefish

My view on Gwion Edwards on 13:48 - Oct 11 by SpruceMoose

Weird.

It is football chat mate, not something that would appeal to you

My view on Gwion Edwards on 13:52 - Oct 11 with 2575 viewsStokieBlue

My view on Gwion Edwards on 13:49 - Oct 11 by Bluefish

It's debatable whether it's football chat.

Looks more like you had a load of monkeys on typewriters and that is what came out.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

My view on Gwion Edwards on 13:52 - Oct 11 with 2574 viewsSpruceMoose

My view on Gwion Edwards on 13:49 - Oct 11 by Bluefish

Nah its not. It's your weird little need for attention. Carry on though. Now Hamstead has been banned there's an opening for forum silly sausage.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

My view on Gwion Edwards on 13:53 - Oct 11 with 2563 viewsKeaneish

And let me be clear, someone with the football pedigree of you calling a professional footballer, “not a footballer” is very egotistic, and given the gulf in class between a you and a him, it’s also very conceited.

We all have opinions on how good players are but I don’t recall anyone ever saying someone “isn’t a footballer” given what it takes to make it to that level in the modern game.

Mullet vouched for you and said, “you know you’re stuff”; given this post that you’ve spent a long time typing, you‘re embarrassing him as he actually does know his stuff.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

My view on Gwion Edwards on 13:53 - Oct 11 with 2565 viewsSpruceMoose

My view on Gwion Edwards on 13:52 - Oct 11 by StokieBlue

Looks more like you had a load of monkeys on typewriters and that is what came out.

SB

Imagine typing all that out and at the last minute the monkeys got it wrong and typed "fghhhyh" as the last word instead of 'work'. How frustrating would that be?!
[Post edited 11 Oct 2020 13:54]

My view on Gwion Edwards on 13:54 - Oct 11 with 2550 viewsBluefish

My view on Gwion Edwards on 13:52 - Oct 11 by StokieBlue

SB

My favourite rent free poster.

Never fails

My view on Gwion Edwards on 13:54 - Oct 11 with 2550 viewsDarth_Koont

Thoughts and prayers, Bluffers. Thoughts and prayers.

Pronouns: He/Him

My view on Gwion Edwards on 13:55 - Oct 11 with 2539 viewsSpruceMoose

My view on Gwion Edwards on 13:54 - Oct 11 by Bluefish

Never fails

This is just embarrassing at this point.

My view on Gwion Edwards on 13:56 - Oct 11 with 2534 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

My view on Gwion Edwards on 13:56 - Oct 11 with 2542 viewsBluefish

My view on Gwion Edwards on 13:53 - Oct 11 by Keaneish

And let me be clear, someone with the football pedigree of you calling a professional footballer, “not a footballer” is very egotistic, and given the gulf in class between a you and a him, it’s also very conceited.

We all have opinions on how good players are but I don’t recall anyone ever saying someone “isn’t a footballer” given what it takes to make it to that level in the modern game.

Mullet vouched for you and said, “you know you’re stuff”; given this post that you’ve spent a long time typing, you‘re embarrassing him as he actually does know his stuff.

I can absolutely assure you that in a series of football challenges. Control, heading, passing etc. Inwould would beat him, especially in my day. He would beat me in a running race by some distance though. Over 10 yards he'd beat me by about 7

My view on Gwion Edwards on 13:57 - Oct 11 with 2523 viewsBryanPlug

My view on Gwion Edwards on 13:56 - Oct 11 by Bluefish

I can absolutely assure you that in a series of football challenges. Control, heading, passing etc. Inwould would beat him, especially in my day. He would beat me in a running race by some distance though. Over 10 yards he'd beat me by about 7

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

My view on Gwion Edwards on 13:58 - Oct 11 with 2520 viewsBluefish

My view on Gwion Edwards on 13:57 - Oct 11 by BryanPlug

Yes

My view on Gwion Edwards on 13:59 - Oct 11 with 2504 viewsSpruceMoose

My view on Gwion Edwards on 13:56 - Oct 11 by Bluefish

Sounds believable. I also expect you've really got a girlfriend but she goes to another school or you met her on a French exchange trip and that's why we've not seen her.

Honestly, is all this just teenage angst because you didn't make it as a pro or something?
[Post edited 11 Oct 2020 14:02]

My view on Gwion Edwards on 13:59 - Oct 11 with 2502 viewsIPS_wich

I agree with you to some extent, but I think you are being a tad unfair.

He has an appalling first touch and his crossing is very average, but he has some ability. He also spent much of last year being played as a wing back; which he is not suited to at all.

He was signed as a winger and like most wingers he blows hot and cold. I do think he looks a lot better coming in from the left - much the same as Lankester is left footed but looks better on the right. This will be important if we are playing Hawkins who prefers his back to goal - we don’t need wingers getting to the byline.

For what it’s worth, his performance yesterday was miles ahead of anything Sears or Judge have delivered for a couple of years.
My view on Gwion Edwards on 14:00 - Oct 11 with 2494 viewsStokieBlue

My view on Gwion Edwards on 13:54 - Oct 11 by Bluefish

Never fails

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

My view on Gwion Edwards on 14:02 - Oct 11 with 2488 viewsurbanblue

My view on Gwion Edwards on 13:48 - Oct 11 by Bluefish

You are in a big hole yourself by making out he is a player that he isn't. 1 game in his 3rd season doesn't excuse the game before.

Sorry if it upsets you too much to discuss it properly

Okay, I'll try and be balanced. Edwards showed a lot of promise when he first arrived here but then appeared to lose his way a bit when I think we all had high hopes. Who can forget that flick against Blackburn! He spent much of last season out of position where in fairness he did okay in the circumstances.

This season he is another revitalised player. The thing is with Edwards is that, this season so far particularly, he always looks like he might score. You mention just the one game but even against MK when he was fairly quiet I still felt if we were going to snatch a goal it would be him.

He is an exciting player, can make things happen and has always shown himself to be an excellent finisher. Could be our top scorer this season.
My view on Gwion Edwards on 14:05 - Oct 11 with 2465 viewsBluefish

My view on Gwion Edwards on 14:02 - Oct 11 by urbanblue

Okay, I'll try and be balanced. Edwards showed a lot of promise when he first arrived here but then appeared to lose his way a bit when I think we all had high hopes. Who can forget that flick against Blackburn! He spent much of last season out of position where in fairness he did okay in the circumstances.

This season he is another revitalised player. The thing is with Edwards is that, this season so far particularly, he always looks like he might score. You mention just the one game but even against MK when he was fairly quiet I still felt if we were going to snatch a goal it would be him.

He is an exciting player, can make things happen and has always shown himself to be an excellent finisher. Could be our top scorer this season.

As I've said before, he could be world class in the highlights. Sadly he needs to do more the rest of the game though

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024