Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lewis Hamilton 15:43 - Oct 11 with 8211 viewsjudespiveyg

Now won as many races as Michael Schumacher, and will equal his 7 titles won by the end of the season. Britain's greatest ever sportsman?

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Lewis Hamilton on 15:47 - Oct 11 with 2750 viewsBlueBadger

No, because F1 isn't a proper sport.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Lewis Hamilton on 15:49 - Oct 11 with 2745 viewsjudespiveyg

Lewis Hamilton on 15:47 - Oct 11 by BlueBadger

Is there anything you're not cynical about?

Lewis Hamilton on 15:49 - Oct 11 with 2739 viewsHerbivore

Lewis Hamilton on 15:47 - Oct 11 by BlueBadger

This.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Lewis Hamilton on 15:50 - Oct 11 with 2725 viewsBlueBadger

Lewis Hamilton on 15:49 - Oct 11 by judespiveyg

Is there anything you're not cynical about?

Cake.

Oh wait. This world still holds a place for Battenberg.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Lewis Hamilton on 15:53 - Oct 11 with 2724 viewsWestover

No because he wouldn't be winning if he was driving a Williams he has the best car, I watch F1 but it's not a level playing field.
Lewis Hamilton on 16:00 - Oct 11 with 2696 viewsjudespiveyg

Lewis Hamilton on 15:53 - Oct 11 by Westover

No because he wouldn't be winning if he was driving a Williams he has the best car, I watch F1 but it's not a level playing field.

Best drivers get the best cars. Hamilton didn't have the best car in 2008, 2017 or 2018 and won those titles. Could have won the title in the second best car in 2010 and 2012 if his car was more reliable. Won races in uncompetitive cars in 2009 and 2013.
He may have the best car this year, he's still absolutely undeniably an all time great of Formula One.

Lewis Hamilton on 16:02 - Oct 11 with 2684 viewsHerbivore

Lewis Hamilton on 16:00 - Oct 11 by judespiveyg

Best drivers get the best cars. Hamilton didn't have the best car in 2008, 2017 or 2018 and won those titles. Could have won the title in the second best car in 2010 and 2012 if his car was more reliable. Won races in uncompetitive cars in 2009 and 2013.
He may have the best car this year, he's still absolutely undeniably an all time great of Formula One.

He had the best car in 2017 and 2018. In 2008 he had the second best car but there wasn't very much in it and his main rival for the title was Felipe Massa.

Lewis Hamilton on 16:06 - Oct 11 with 2674 viewsNewcyBlue

Lewis Hamilton on 15:50 - Oct 11 by BlueBadger

Cake.

Oh wait. This world still holds a place for Battenberg.

I had a battenburg the other day and it’s magnificent.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Login to get fewer ads

Lewis Hamilton on 16:08 - Oct 11 with 2668 viewsBlueBadger

Lewis Hamilton on 16:06 - Oct 11 by NewcyBlue

I had a battenburg the other day and it’s magnificent.

Clearly, you've reached the terminal phase of 'new born sleep deprivation' already.

Lewis Hamilton on 16:09 - Oct 11 with 2667 viewsJ2BLUE

Good for him. One of the greats (I can't stand F1 but a winner is a winner) but the greatest ever? There's a ceiling on the likes of F1 drivers, snooker players etc IMO. They aren't sports in the truest sense (in my opinion).

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Lewis Hamilton on 16:12 - Oct 11 with 2654 viewsjudespiveyg

Lewis Hamilton on 16:02 - Oct 11 by Herbivore

He had the best car in 2017 and 2018. In 2008 he had the second best car but there wasn't very much in it and his main rival for the title was Felipe Massa.

Ferrari was quicker and better 2017 and 2018, the Red Bull was stronger on the slower circuits. Hamilton's 2018 season was probably the best season by any driver in the last 20 years, absolutely flawless. Felipe Massa convincingly outdrove his teammate Kimi Raikkonen in 2008 so he was an excellent driver for a short period.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2020 16:13]

Lewis Hamilton on 16:13 - Oct 11 with 2648 viewsStokieBlue

Lewis Hamilton on 16:02 - Oct 11 by Herbivore

That he had the best car in 2017 and 2018 is not a clear cut as you make out but you can certainly argue that he did and the development by Mercedes meant it was the best by the year end.

In 2019 he probably didn't have the best car (because Ferrari were cheating in 2019).

SB
[Post edited 11 Oct 2020 16:26]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Lewis Hamilton on 16:15 - Oct 11 with 2631 viewsHerbivore

Lewis Hamilton on 16:12 - Oct 11 by judespiveyg

Ferrari was quicker and better 2017 and 2018, the Red Bull was stronger on the slower circuits. Hamilton's 2018 season was probably the best season by any driver in the last 20 years, absolutely flawless. Felipe Massa convincingly outdrove his teammate Kimi Raikkonen in 2008 so he was an excellent driver for a short period.

You're rewriting history on 2017 and 2018. The Merc was the better car as it's been every year for nearly a decade now. Ferrari got closer and started the season perhaps a shade quicker but the overall package at Mercedes and the car development over the season took them clear. At no point has the Mercedes not been the best car on the grid over an entire season since Hamilton won his first title with them.

Lewis Hamilton on 16:33 - Oct 11 with 2575 viewsmikeybloo88

No....the greatest sportsman can never be one who's achievements may be dependant on the technical superiority of his equipment...many sports require equipment but not many see such a difference in performance due to the equipment. F1 isn't a level playing field. The only claim Hamilton can make is that he's possibly the best driver in the last 10 years....
[Post edited 11 Oct 2020 16:34]
Lewis Hamilton on 16:36 - Oct 11 with 2566 viewssolomon

Lewis Hamilton on 16:12 - Oct 11 by judespiveyg

If this was true how do you explain 2016?
Lewis Hamilton on 16:39 - Oct 11 with 2554 viewsJakeITFC

I think my vote is for Andy Murray.
Lewis Hamilton on 16:41 - Oct 11 with 2550 viewsHerbivore

Lewis Hamilton on 16:13 - Oct 11 by StokieBlue

That he had the best car in 2017 and 2018 is not a clear cut as you make out but you can certainly argue that he did and the development by Mercedes meant it was the best by the year end.

In 2019 he probably didn't have the best car (because Ferrari were cheating in 2019).

SB
[Post edited 11 Oct 2020 16:26]

Of course he had the best car in 2019. Mercedes absolutely pissed the constructors and Bottas, who is a pretty middling performer, was clear in second in the driver's championship. Mercedes have dominated for nearly a decade now. It's still an achievement for Hamilton to have won the title in all but one of those seasons but he's hugely benefited from being in probably the most dominant team in the history of the sport. Some years they've been half a second clear of the field and I think that means people then falsely appraise things in the few years where the gap lessened.

Lewis Hamilton on 16:43 - Oct 11 with 2539 viewsjudespiveyg

Lewis Hamilton on 16:36 - Oct 11 by solomon

If this was true how do you explain 2016?

Rosberg was a very good driver, but he's said himself that he retired straight after his title because of how draining it was to beat Lewis over the season. Once he had his title he could never hope to build up such motivation to be perfect. This is more or less what Rosberg has said. Says a lot about how consistantly Lewis has been perfect and what it takes to beat him. He has had one below par season (2011) in his 14 year career, he still won three races.
Also if Lewis' engine hadn't blown up in Malaysia 2016 he would have taken the title.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2020 16:48]

Lewis Hamilton on 16:46 - Oct 11 with 2531 viewsHerbivore

Lewis Hamilton on 16:43 - Oct 11 by judespiveyg

Rosberg was a very good driver, but he's said himself that he retired straight after his title because of how draining it was to beat Lewis over the season. Once he had his title he could never hope to build up such motivation to be perfect. This is more or less what Rosberg has said. Says a lot about how consistantly Lewis has been perfect and what it takes to beat him. He has had one below par season (2011) in his 14 year career, he still won three races.
Also if Lewis' engine hadn't blown up in Malaysia 2016 he would have taken the title.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2020 16:48]

It's interesting though that Jenson Button doesn't rate him as the greatest ever having been his teammate and for 3 years (and accruing more points than him over that 2 year period). I think picking the greatest F1 driver is hard as comparisons across eras are difficult and the car plays such a huge part in it. No doubt Lewis is a great though.

Lewis Hamilton on 16:46 - Oct 11 with 2532 viewsjudespiveyg

Lewis Hamilton on 16:39 - Oct 11 by JakeITFC

It's always hard to tell with him because he's been unlucky enough to be in an era with arguably the three best players ever. I have no doubt that in any other era he would have taken loads more titles but just the three slams and no Australian or French works against him.

Lewis Hamilton on 16:47 - Oct 11 with 2530 viewsgtsb1966

Lewis Hamilton on 16:39 - Oct 11 by JakeITFC

Joe Calzaghe for me.
Lewis Hamilton on 16:47 - Oct 11 with 2530 viewsStokieBlue

Lewis Hamilton on 16:41 - Oct 11 by Herbivore

Of course he had the best car in 2019. Mercedes absolutely pissed the constructors and Bottas, who is a pretty middling performer, was clear in second in the driver's championship. Mercedes have dominated for nearly a decade now. It's still an achievement for Hamilton to have won the title in all but one of those seasons but he's hugely benefited from being in probably the most dominant team in the history of the sport. Some years they've been half a second clear of the field and I think that means people then falsely appraise things in the few years where the gap lessened.

I'm not sure you can take such a simple measure as the constructors championship when looking at 2019.

Ferrari totally shot themselves in the foot multiple times due to strategy, declaring Vettel the number 1 driver and the drivers having incidents on the track. They had a good car but a poor team around it.

LeClerc had the most pole positions in 2019. The Ferrari was massively faster on the straights because they were cheating and that is why it's so rubbish this year.

You're still probably right that the Mercedes was better (it was certainly a better outfit if you include the team) but I don't think it's as clear as you suggest. I actually think Hamilton would probably have won in 2019 in the Ferrari but of course that is something we can never know and is total speculation.

SB

Lewis Hamilton on 16:49 - Oct 11 with 2518 viewsStokieBlue

Lewis Hamilton on 16:46 - Oct 11 by judespiveyg

It's always hard to tell with him because he's been unlucky enough to be in an era with arguably the three best players ever. I have no doubt that in any other era he would have taken loads more titles but just the three slams and no Australian or French works against him.

It really doesn't.

Murray is a fabulous tennis player and would have graced any era. He's done well to win what he has given the unbelievable competition of 3 of the best player who will likely ever play the game.

SB

Lewis Hamilton on 16:50 - Oct 11 with 2514 viewsfabian_illness

Cheers for that.
Been out all day, was looking forward to watching on sky plus.
Probably won’t bother now you’ve let slip who won.
Lewis Hamilton on 16:51 - Oct 11 with 2508 viewsHerbivore

Lewis Hamilton on 16:47 - Oct 11 by StokieBlue

I'm not sure you can take such a simple measure as the constructors championship when looking at 2019.

Ferrari totally shot themselves in the foot multiple times due to strategy, declaring Vettel the number 1 driver and the drivers having incidents on the track. They had a good car but a poor team around it.

LeClerc had the most pole positions in 2019. The Ferrari was massively faster on the straights because they were cheating and that is why it's so rubbish this year.

You're still probably right that the Mercedes was better (it was certainly a better outfit if you include the team) but I don't think it's as clear as you suggest. I actually think Hamilton would probably have won in 2019 in the Ferrari but of course that is something we can never know and is total speculation.

SB

Ferrari were a mess. You have to look at the whole package and not just straight line speed, often the quickest car in a straight line isn't the best overall. It's not just about the constructors either, it's that the pretty average Bottas was clear in second in the driver's championship. He doesn't do that if the Ferrari is the best car, not a chance. Straight line speed is just one facer, Red Bull were never that quick in a straight line when they were dominant (though not as dominant as Mercedes). I don't see any way that Hamilton would have won the title with Ferrari last season, especially assuming there'd have been a top driver replacing him at Mercedes and likely coasting to the title. Their dominance has been huge.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2020 16:53]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024