Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The more you read about Brentford's transfer success 07:25 - Oct 12 with 2291 viewsChrisd

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11685/12101595/west-ham-agree-benrahma-d

It's hard not to feel that this is the best way forward. Another one of their players could potentially be sold for £30m. Top recruitment by them, but this isn't achieved through good fortune, they seem to do it time and time again.
[Post edited 12 Oct 2020 7:29]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

The more you read about Brentford's transfer success on 07:50 - Oct 12 with 2213 viewsDarth_Koont

We wouldn’t have Downes, Bishop, Dozzell, Woolfenden, Lankester, Dobra etc. if we went down the Brentford route. At least not as home-grown players but players we picked up at 18-19 because they fell through the cracks.

But I think that 2 million Academy investment can be supplemented by a Brentford approach. Arguably buying younger and/or undervalued players was happening under Mick. But bizarrely and catastrophically it was abandoned by Hurst when the squad value was high and the youngsters like Downes and Nydam were just starting to make an impact in the first team ... instead we went for relatively expensive 25 year olds and bloated the squad.

Lambert finally looks like he may be getting back to the former approach this season but it’ll have been a waste of three years and a lot of money even, in the best case, if we get promoted this year.

Pronouns: He/Him

The more you read about Brentford's transfer success on 08:15 - Oct 12 with 2132 viewsBluefish

Many their fans also recognise and appreciate that a model that guarantees the future of the club long term is preferable to a short term desperate effort to reach the Premier league. They accept that top end championship is success for them.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

The more you read about Brentford's transfer success on 08:21 - Oct 12 with 2119 viewsChrisd

The more you read about Brentford's transfer success on 07:50 - Oct 12 by Darth_Koont

We wouldn’t have Downes, Bishop, Dozzell, Woolfenden, Lankester, Dobra etc. if we went down the Brentford route. At least not as home-grown players but players we picked up at 18-19 because they fell through the cracks.

But I think that 2 million Academy investment can be supplemented by a Brentford approach. Arguably buying younger and/or undervalued players was happening under Mick. But bizarrely and catastrophically it was abandoned by Hurst when the squad value was high and the youngsters like Downes and Nydam were just starting to make an impact in the first team ... instead we went for relatively expensive 25 year olds and bloated the squad.

Lambert finally looks like he may be getting back to the former approach this season but it’ll have been a waste of three years and a lot of money even, in the best case, if we get promoted this year.

When they make sales of £28m for Watkins and £30m for Benrahma in one transfer window, ME must be thinking this is too tempting not to try? Yes, Ipswich has a deep rooted reputation to developing home grown talent and we wouldn't have produced those youngsters as you listed if we did adopt this approach, but I doubt that if we looked to sell them now, in January or next summer they would collectively generate even close to one of those transfer fees. Football, as we both know, has become a business and the financial rewards that Brentford are producing while maintaining a promotion chasing team, must be raising a few eyebrows in boardrooms across the country.
[Post edited 12 Oct 2020 9:40]

The more you read about Brentford's transfer success on 08:30 - Oct 12 with 2076 viewsFreddies_Ears

We're pretty good at buying cheap and selling well. In recent years, that would include Mings and Webster, plus we turned down offers that would lead to big profits on Didz and, this summer, Jackson.
Brentford are doing it better, but they are top end of Championship.
The more you read about Brentford's transfer success on 08:33 - Oct 12 with 2078 viewsitfcjoe

The more you read about Brentford's transfer success on 07:50 - Oct 12 by Darth_Koont

That was always the myth about Paul Hurst signing 'young and hungry' players, that they weren't that young - and certainly didn't have much future sale potential, when you compare to someone like Adam Webster, as an example.

The only player he signed we could have made good money on was Kayden jackson, had he hit the ground running and scored goals in the second tier and potentially Gwion Edwards. The other main signings - Nsiala, Nolan, Harrison and Donacien were basically lower league journeymen who were never going to be worth proper money.

That summer's transfer business set the club back so far, and we are still recovering from it - we got lucky that some of Mick's signings like Webster, Moore and Mings had subsequent big transfers that allowed a bit of transfer cash to trickle in. It really was a complete disaster - and to think some billed it our best summer ever....

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The more you read about Brentford's transfer success on 08:39 - Oct 12 with 2047 viewspatrickswell

The more you read about Brentford's transfer success on 08:21 - Oct 12 by Chrisd

When they make sales of £28m for Watkins and £30m for Benrahma in one transfer window, ME must be thinking this is too tempting not to try? Yes, Ipswich has a deep rooted reputation to developing home grown talent and we wouldn't have produced those youngsters as you listed if we did adopt this approach, but I doubt that if we looked to sell them now, in January or next summer they would collectively generate even close to one of those transfer fees. Football, as we both know, has become a business and the financial rewards that Brentford are producing while maintaining a promotion chasing team, must be raising a few eyebrows in boardrooms across the country.

Maybe he would be tempted by that, but we have to get back there first. We paid the price for his indecision over how to progress after 2014/15 which was compounded by bad luck given the injuries suffered by players who could either have had us continuing to challenge or been sold to generate money. Throw in Hurst’s 4 month demolition job and Lambert’s confused first 18 months, we’ve ended up grateful for the CoronaVirus break because it really does appear as though some strategic discussion took place and that it’s being implemented at last.
The more you read about Brentford's transfer success on 08:39 - Oct 12 with 2040 viewsdavblue

The more you read about Brentford's transfer success on 08:33 - Oct 12 by itfcjoe

That was always the myth about Paul Hurst signing 'young and hungry' players, that they weren't that young - and certainly didn't have much future sale potential, when you compare to someone like Adam Webster, as an example.

The only player he signed we could have made good money on was Kayden jackson, had he hit the ground running and scored goals in the second tier and potentially Gwion Edwards. The other main signings - Nsiala, Nolan, Harrison and Donacien were basically lower league journeymen who were never going to be worth proper money.

That summer's transfer business set the club back so far, and we are still recovering from it - we got lucky that some of Mick's signings like Webster, Moore and Mings had subsequent big transfers that allowed a bit of transfer cash to trickle in. It really was a complete disaster - and to think some billed it our best summer ever....

There's a fair few who appreciate quantity over quality when it comes to transfers.
The more you read about Brentford's transfer success on 08:45 - Oct 12 with 2006 viewsdavblue

The more you read about Brentford's transfer success on 08:39 - Oct 12 by patrickswell

Maybe he would be tempted by that, but we have to get back there first. We paid the price for his indecision over how to progress after 2014/15 which was compounded by bad luck given the injuries suffered by players who could either have had us continuing to challenge or been sold to generate money. Throw in Hurst’s 4 month demolition job and Lambert’s confused first 18 months, we’ve ended up grateful for the CoronaVirus break because it really does appear as though some strategic discussion took place and that it’s being implemented at last.

They still spend decent amounts on players which Evans hasn't shown he's will to do. They've got in a fair few for over 2 million +. When we sell we don't reinvest it on top of Evans' contribution, so in reality we are never able to go that bit further.
Login to get fewer ads

The more you read about Brentford's transfer success on 08:47 - Oct 12 with 1997 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

The more you read about Brentford's transfer success on 08:21 - Oct 12 by Chrisd

To be fair, ME is not alone in being less successful in transfer trading than Brentford. They are a bit of a one off.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

The more you read about Brentford's transfer success on 09:21 - Oct 12 with 1886 viewsFixed_It

The biggest surprise is that they haven't scouted Blubfish. Just think of the profit they could make when he gets sold on to Real Madrid...

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

The more you read about Brentford's transfer success on 09:32 - Oct 12 with 1845 viewsdavblue

The more you read about Brentford's transfer success on 09:21 - Oct 12 by Fixed_It

The biggest surprise is that they haven't scouted Blubfish. Just think of the profit they could make when he gets sold on to Real Madrid...

The 1st 300 million pound player?
The more you read about Brentford's transfer success on 09:44 - Oct 12 with 1805 viewsElephantintheRoom

It's not really a 'model' - more a common sense approach like Leicester's current run of transient success. Good recruitment that is very difficult and perhaps even impossible to sustain as various incumbents are head hunted - or their luck runs out.

I have long advocated not bothering with an academy and simply researching all the discards from Premier League downwards.... you could argue we'd miss out on all those young players we have stunted the development of... and harking back to when Portsmouth pioneered this approach in the 60s, we got Mick Mills thank you very much.

I agree Brentford looks very impressive at the moment - but then so did Swansea, Stoke, Wimbledon, Bolton, Blackpool etc etc and Indeed Derby, Forest and ITFC back on the day - ie 'minnows' punching above their weight surfing the good times and mistakenly thinking they will last forever in the transitory world of football.

All it takes is a couple of duff signings for the wheels ot fall off and implosion to occur.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

The more you read about Brentford's transfer success on 09:48 - Oct 12 with 1795 viewsGuthrum

That's the thing, we don't need to abandon the Academy* in order to pursue a lucrative transfer strategy. The £2m a year we're spending is not going to stop us laying out just £10k (plus a friendly) on a Tyrone Mings, if we come across one. It didn't prevent us from attracting Connor Wickham at the age of 13.

* Which, in any case, is not what Brentford have done. They're running the footballing equivalent of a sixth-form college, only taking in the older Youths. Partly because they are in a big city, surrounded by a number of larger clubs more likely to attract the youngsters.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The more you read about Brentford's transfer success on 09:48 - Oct 12 with 1792 viewsBloomBlue

They spend the money they saved on closing their academy on their scouting network, but the issue is where is their ambition Premier league or Championship and below?

One of my friends has been a Brentford fan for 60 + years and as he keeps saying Brentford should have been promoted to the Prem years ago but the clubs policy of sell, sell sell, has stop them. Even when they have a good season like last season rather than retain their best players and strengthen it the areas that need it they sell again their best players.

Their whole policy is built on buy a player and then sell for a profit 2 years later, it's never been buy to win promotion, if promotion comes then fine but it's always been about buy a player to sell.
The more you read about Brentford's transfer success on 10:03 - Oct 12 with 1734 viewsBlueBadger

Without a decent academy though, isn't 'buy cheap, sell high' ultimately built on sand? All it takes is a limp relegation or a couple of misjudged signings and it falls to bits rather easily?
[Post edited 12 Oct 2020 10:03]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The more you read about Brentford's transfer success on 10:07 - Oct 12 with 1722 viewsbournemouthblue

The more you read about Brentford's transfer success on 08:15 - Oct 12 by Bluefish

Many their fans also recognise and appreciate that a model that guarantees the future of the club long term is preferable to a short term desperate effort to reach the Premier league. They accept that top end championship is success for them.

At some stage they're going to make it into the Premiership

I believe their policy is always to sell which in some cases has hampered their promotion hopes, I believe some of their fans feel they'd have been there sooner if they didn't always sell off their best players?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

The more you read about Brentford's transfer success on 10:24 - Oct 12 with 1673 viewsPendejo

The more you read about Brentford's transfer success on 10:03 - Oct 12 by BlueBadger

Without a decent academy though, isn't 'buy cheap, sell high' ultimately built on sand? All it takes is a limp relegation or a couple of misjudged signings and it falls to bits rather easily?
[Post edited 12 Oct 2020 10:03]

What isn't built on sand? Empires rise and Empires fall, the only question is how long they will last.

Liverpool, so dominant in the 70s and 80s took 30 years to win the title they practically owned for many years.

Manchester United, dominant 1993-2013 under Ferguson who combined a particularly good crop of youth players with some astute signings... how many managers have tried and "failed" since?

I would assert that Brentford's model can afford the odd hiccup and continue on for some time yet.

Where their model will fall apart is if their scouting and coaching set up falls apart; retirements, fall outs, poaching by bigger clubs [e.g. Villa] who are fed up paying Brentford's retail prices and decide to cut out the middle man. Sign the staff that unearth the gems and then unearth them yourself. Even this is not as easy as typing it, I've said on this forum many times; Success is down to chemistry - be it SBR / Mr. John, Clough / Taylor, Old School Liverpool boot room... whatever. And even if you move the components elsewhere there is no guarantee of success like the distilling of a fine malt whisky - you can move the distillery elsewhere lock, stock and barrel BUT the whisky won't taste the same. Produced maybe at a different altitude, different elements in the water etc.

But that's the biggest danger I see to Brentford right now - being stripped of that scouting / coaching network that has served them so well.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

The more you read about Brentford's transfer success on 10:32 - Oct 12 with 1651 viewsPendejo

The more you read about Brentford's transfer success on 10:07 - Oct 12 by bournemouthblue

At some stage they're going to make it into the Premiership

I believe their policy is always to sell which in some cases has hampered their promotion hopes, I believe some of their fans feel they'd have been there sooner if they didn't always sell off their best players?

Therein lies the problem, once they hit the top division is that where it falls apart?

As others have said what is the owners ambition? Do they harbour thoughts of hitting CL level?

TBH I think their approach is sensible long term, maybe they looked at us 2000-2002 and learned of the problems of too much too soon...

or to put it another way...

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

The more you read about Brentford's transfer success on 11:45 - Oct 12 with 1559 viewsIllinoisblue

They’re just a fancy version of Peterborough. Do very well on transfers but ultimately fail on the pitch.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

The more you read about Brentford's transfer success on 11:47 - Oct 12 with 1544 viewsChrisd

The more you read about Brentford's transfer success on 11:45 - Oct 12 by Illinoisblue

They’re just a fancy version of Peterborough. Do very well on transfers but ultimately fail on the pitch.

Being a Town fan, I wouldn't mind their failure right now.

The more you read about Brentford's transfer success on 11:53 - Oct 12 with 1521 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

The more you read about Brentford's transfer success on 11:45 - Oct 12 by Illinoisblue

How are they failing? Prior to getting promoted to the Championship 7 years ago, they hadn’t been in the second tier since the early 50’s

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

The more you read about Brentford's transfer success on 12:54 - Oct 12 with 1423 viewsIllinoisblue

The more you read about Brentford's transfer success on 11:53 - Oct 12 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

How are they failing? Prior to getting promoted to the Championship 7 years ago, they hadn’t been in the second tier since the early 50’s

Is their goal simply to exist or to achieve? Many similar sized clubs have tasted life in the top tier, why not Brentford?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024