Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Players out of contract with the salary cap in mind... 10:20 - Oct 12 with 1132 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

It makes promotion even more important than it already is. If we didn't get promoted, the club wouldn't be able to offer a contract to some of these players, or some of these players will get a better offer in the Championship, or some of these may want a different challenge elsewhere - either way, promotion back to the Championship ourselves puts us in a much stronger position to keep this squad together.

I might be missing a few names here but those out of contract at the end of the season:
Gwion Edwards, Andre Dozzell, Emyr Huws, Luke Chambers, Stephen Ward, Teddy Bishop, Kayden Jackson, James Wilson, Toto?

I might have missed a couple off and any of the above might have an extra year option in their contract for the club to take up, but a lot of important members of the squad there.

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

Players out of contract with the salary cap in mind... on 10:33 - Oct 12 with 1078 viewsxrayspecs

We have one year options on all of them except Edwards, Dozzell and Chambers I believe. We would also have the likes of Dobra, El Mizouni, McGavin and Nbada with a futher years experience, hopefully in first team action in L2.
Players out of contract with the salary cap in mind... on 20:10 - Oct 12 with 865 viewsJermynblue

I might be wrong here, but I think that the salary cap offers the potential for destabilizing around January time. Presumably those players which are in their final year are able to talk to other clubs at that point. Meanwhile we are faced with the difficult position of choosing which players we might exercise the additional year option or for those without an option a new contract. I believe that taking up an option would mean that we would not benefit from the average salary applying to that additional year. Therefore we cannot take up the option for all those players without breaching the salary cap. In addition, if a player is having a good year and their agent gets a contract agreed with a club in the Championship with a much higher salary that won't help the team spirit either. The Salary Cap essentially means that we cannot easily make a counter offer. It will be interesting and worrying to see how this plays out in January.
Players out of contract with the salary cap in mind... on 21:39 - Oct 12 with 748 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Players out of contract with the salary cap in mind... on 10:33 - Oct 12 by xrayspecs

We have one year options on all of them except Edwards, Dozzell and Chambers I believe. We would also have the likes of Dobra, El Mizouni, McGavin and Nbada with a futher years experience, hopefully in first team action in L2.

An interesting question, do those count as being outside the salary cap because they were set before the cap came in.

Whatever the logic, we need to get promoted this season.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Players out of contract with the salary cap in mind... on 08:16 - Oct 13 with 559 viewsxrayspecs

Players out of contract with the salary cap in mind... on 21:39 - Oct 12 by Nthsuffolkblue

An interesting question, do those count as being outside the salary cap because they were set before the cap came in.

Whatever the logic, we need to get promoted this season.

Good question, I do not know. I have assumed that it forms part of the original contract but worth checking.
Players out of contract with the salary cap in mind... on 08:38 - Oct 13 with 531 viewstractorboy1978

Brought this up on here the other day but I swear I've read somewhere that there is some clause around being able to renew the contracts of players under 23 and them still being capped at the 'average'? Which will be relevant for Dozzell. Of course I may be imagining this...
Players out of contract with the salary cap in mind... on 08:57 - Oct 13 with 511 viewsOldsmoker

Players out of contract with the salary cap in mind... on 20:10 - Oct 12 by Jermynblue

I might be wrong here, but I think that the salary cap offers the potential for destabilizing around January time. Presumably those players which are in their final year are able to talk to other clubs at that point. Meanwhile we are faced with the difficult position of choosing which players we might exercise the additional year option or for those without an option a new contract. I believe that taking up an option would mean that we would not benefit from the average salary applying to that additional year. Therefore we cannot take up the option for all those players without breaching the salary cap. In addition, if a player is having a good year and their agent gets a contract agreed with a club in the Championship with a much higher salary that won't help the team spirit either. The Salary Cap essentially means that we cannot easily make a counter offer. It will be interesting and worrying to see how this plays out in January.

I don't think you are wrong and you make a very good point.
We can't offer a new contract in January if it kicks-in in January which it normally would.
A majority of EFL clubs had to agree to the EFL salary cap proposal and I'm sure clubs might want to vote again if circumstances demand it. If the EFL digs its heels in and won't reassess the situation then it's inevitablle that the scenario you highlight will come about.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024