Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
TWTD's Cycling massive 15:55 - Oct 13 with 1752 viewsbluelagos

Winter riding is looking a tad unpleasant (Was today for sure and it's not even winter yet)

So, thinking of either a turbo trainer (you put yer bike on it) or a normal exercise bike. Any recommendations / thoughts etc?

Thx

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

TWTD's Cycling massive on 16:18 - Oct 13 with 1496 viewsTractorWood

Agree on winter. Managed to get 120k in over the weekend so there is still some joy.

I have the tacx flux s direct drive smart trainer. It's a few years old but works perfectly for Zwift. Zwift is absolutely awesome. Can't recommend it enough.

In terms of trainers, I'd definitely get a direct drive one and a smart one. They are game changers.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

TWTD's Cycling massive on 16:21 - Oct 13 with 1487 viewsartsbossbeard

Check out Planet X's online store, they did have some decent priced trainers on there.

The bluetooth ones you can pair Zwift with are more expensive but I think Halfords have one for around £200

Also, take a look at Planet X's Sale tab. They normally have plenty of winter gear going cheap. Overshoes, thick gloves, cycling jackets* etc.

*If you're buying one, go 1 even 2x sizes up to allow for under clothing.
[Post edited 13 Oct 2020 16:23]

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

TWTD's Cycling massive on 16:24 - Oct 13 with 1467 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Cycling in a garage?

Get a good coat!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

TWTD's Cycling massive on 16:34 - Oct 13 with 1454 viewsEwan_Oozami

Smart Direct drive turbo trainers - great with Zwift or RGT - from BikeRadar

- Elite Suito: £649.99
- Saris H3: £849.99 / $999.99
- Tacx Neo 2T: £1,199.99 / $1,399.99 / AU$1,899.99
- Wahoo Kickr: £999.99 / $1,199.99 / €1,199.99 / AU$1,699.99
- Wahoo Kickr Core: £699.99 / $899.99 / €799.99 / AU$1,199.99
- BKool Smart Air Lite: £749.99
- Elite Drivo II: £999.99 / $1,199 / AU$1,599.99
- Kurt Kinetic R1: £769 / $949 / €899 / AU$1,699.99
- Saris M2: £425 / $500
- Tacx Flux S: £549

There are some good smart trainers cheaper (I have an Elite Direto), but if you are planning on spending a lot of time on it then something from the above list would last longer. I spend about 10 hours a week on mine doing various Zwift workouts and races, it actually is good fun believe it or not!

Also, do you have 2 bikes? Say, one used more in summer? If so, get that on the trainer - there's nothing worse that having to faff around moving the cassette from the trainer to the wheel every time you want to go out - also make sure you get plenty of sweat protection, towels, a mat, a good fan, etc. Might even be worth getting a £200 bike from your local independent bike retailer to go on it if you want to keep your main bike on the road over winter - maybe go into Elmy's in Ipswich and have a word with them, they're very good

I could waffle on for hours on this so if you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Don't get an exercise bike and certainly don't get Peloton!!!!!

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

TWTD's Cycling massive on 16:44 - Oct 13 with 1433 viewsSwansea_Blue

Trainers have gone up a bit since I bought mine. I got a Cycleops (can't remember if it's magnetic or fluid) some years ago now for about £150, the sort where you leave your back wheel on. I haven't seen it in about 3 years though, so that tells you all you need to know about my motivation.

I imagine the smart ones do make it more interesting. Depends whether you'd rather listen to music, catch up on box sets/films, or have one of these smart apps for virtual events on line, or just stare at the sweat dripping all over your top tube. The training programmes that come with the likes of Zwift look good though. Half tempted myself....

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

TWTD's Cycling massive on 16:47 - Oct 13 with 1428 viewsEwan_Oozami

TWTD's Cycling massive on 16:44 - Oct 13 by Swansea_Blue

Trainers have gone up a bit since I bought mine. I got a Cycleops (can't remember if it's magnetic or fluid) some years ago now for about £150, the sort where you leave your back wheel on. I haven't seen it in about 3 years though, so that tells you all you need to know about my motivation.

I imagine the smart ones do make it more interesting. Depends whether you'd rather listen to music, catch up on box sets/films, or have one of these smart apps for virtual events on line, or just stare at the sweat dripping all over your top tube. The training programmes that come with the likes of Zwift look good though. Half tempted myself....

Do it! Let's get Phil to sponsor a TWTD virtual racing team!

TWTD's Cycling massive on 16:55 - Oct 13 with 1419 viewsSwansea_Blue

TWTD's Cycling massive on 16:47 - Oct 13 by Ewan_Oozami

Do it! Let's get Phil to sponsor a TWTD virtual racing team!

Do you have to have a smart trainer to run zwift (I suspect you do don't you otherwise it wouldn't simulate gradients)? Or can you get by with the basics on a traditional dumb trainer?

TWTD's Cycling massive on 16:55 - Oct 13 with 1411 viewsMonkeyAlan

And l thought you were a hardened cycling fanatic. Just goes to show.
Login to get fewer ads

TWTD's Cycling massive on 17:13 - Oct 13 with 1409 viewsbluelagos

TWTD's Cycling massive on 16:34 - Oct 13 by Ewan_Oozami

Smart Direct drive turbo trainers - great with Zwift or RGT - from BikeRadar

- Elite Suito: £649.99
- Saris H3: £849.99 / $999.99
- Tacx Neo 2T: £1,199.99 / $1,399.99 / AU$1,899.99
- Wahoo Kickr: £999.99 / $1,199.99 / €1,199.99 / AU$1,699.99
- Wahoo Kickr Core: £699.99 / $899.99 / €799.99 / AU$1,199.99
- BKool Smart Air Lite: £749.99
- Elite Drivo II: £999.99 / $1,199 / AU$1,599.99
- Kurt Kinetic R1: £769 / $949 / €899 / AU$1,699.99
- Saris M2: £425 / $500
- Tacx Flux S: £549

There are some good smart trainers cheaper (I have an Elite Direto), but if you are planning on spending a lot of time on it then something from the above list would last longer. I spend about 10 hours a week on mine doing various Zwift workouts and races, it actually is good fun believe it or not!

Also, do you have 2 bikes? Say, one used more in summer? If so, get that on the trainer - there's nothing worse that having to faff around moving the cassette from the trainer to the wheel every time you want to go out - also make sure you get plenty of sweat protection, towels, a mat, a good fan, etc. Might even be worth getting a £200 bike from your local independent bike retailer to go on it if you want to keep your main bike on the road over winter - maybe go into Elmy's in Ipswich and have a word with them, they're very good

I could waffle on for hours on this so if you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Don't get an exercise bike and certainly don't get Peloton!!!!!

Looked at Peleton - prices are fookin mental!

If anyone is tempted - happy to come round and shout at you, sorry, motivate you, for the £1700 odd quid it costs :-)

TWTD's Cycling massive on 17:22 - Oct 13 with 1394 viewsEwan_Oozami

TWTD's Cycling massive on 16:55 - Oct 13 by Swansea_Blue

Do you have to have a smart trainer to run zwift (I suspect you do don't you otherwise it wouldn't simulate gradients)? Or can you get by with the basics on a traditional dumb trainer?

You can use a dumb trainer but still need some extra sensors to capture speed, cadence, heart rate - this is a good reference:

https://zwiftinsider.com/getting-started-classic-trainer/

TWTD's Cycling massive on 17:23 - Oct 13 with 1396 viewseireblue

TWTD's Cycling massive on 17:13 - Oct 13 by bluelagos

Looked at Peleton - prices are fookin mental!

If anyone is tempted - happy to come round and shout at you, sorry, motivate you, for the £1700 odd quid it costs :-)

You can of course get the new Wattbike Atom, a little bit more expensive, but nobody shouts at you.

I think it was the shouty bit you were most concerned about?
TWTD's Cycling massive on 17:32 - Oct 13 with 1382 viewsEwan_Oozami

TWTD's Cycling massive on 17:23 - Oct 13 by eireblue

You can of course get the new Wattbike Atom, a little bit more expensive, but nobody shouts at you.

Atoms are good, but probably more for gyms or the semi-pro and above market!

Currently I have a 45 year old Roberts frame (the one I started riding on back in 1975!) and an 11 speed cassette on my turbo trainer so it doesn't have to cost much (although there is also a monthly sub for Zwift if you want to use all the functions)

TWTD's Cycling massive on 17:47 - Oct 13 with 1367 viewsTractorFactor

Have got the Saris M2 - cheapish smart trainer - hooked up to Zwift. Got it just as we went to lockdown (last trainer in town!) in March and despite getting out outside during the summer still used it quite a bit. Now really coming into its own.

Zwift is great - prebuilt training schedules to improve you and engaging scenery & "gameplay". Have got mine through laptop connected to 55" screen in the cellar - which is great.

Suggest you get a good fan too for your set up too as if you're anything like me you will sweat buckets!
TWTD's Cycling massive on 18:58 - Oct 13 with 1325 viewsdavblue

TWTD's Cycling massive on 17:23 - Oct 13 by eireblue

I’ve been looking at these for a few months but haven’t taken the plunge yet. Mrs is on maternity leave atm and with the economy where it is I can’t really justify the outlay at the minute just in case we need our savings for any bad news.

I really wanted one for indoor training over winter as it’s not as enjoyable riding on roads in the winter and I’ve heard of 2 people up the road at the same time getting killed recently and my dads next door neighbour getting hit and fracturing his skull broken ribs whilst cycling.

With a young family the Benefit of safety being my main thought.
TWTD's Cycling massive on 19:19 - Oct 13 with 1304 viewsgordon

just get outside u pansy.
TWTD's Cycling massive on 19:54 - Oct 13 with 1290 viewsLeoMuff

I have a wahoo Kicker and it is a great piece of kit, like night and day compared to the training wheel ones, though which ever way you dress it up indoor training if fairly tedious. Unfortunately though due to British winters it is pretty much essential as there are often blocks of 2 to 3 weeks of un rideable weather on a frequent basis.

As a tool to improve you cycling they are without doubt the best as it is so much harder than the road as no freewheeling, and as others have said you need a second bike as the faff involved in fixing removing a bike each time will find you not doing it.

If you have it set up ready to go already and linked to zwift your cycling will improve no end, be warned though any injuries get found out as it is pretty relentless pedalling against resistance

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

TWTD's Cycling massive on 19:54 - Oct 13 with 1288 viewsronnyd

Nothing better than going out on the mountain bike on a clear frosty morning.
TWTD's Cycling massive on 19:58 - Oct 13 with 1283 viewsEwan_Oozami

TWTD's Cycling massive on 19:54 - Oct 13 by ronnyd

Nothing better than going out on the mountain bike on a clear frosty morning.

Yep, couple of laps of the Viking trail at Tunstall is normally enough for me!!

TWTD's Cycling massive on 20:16 - Oct 13 with 1267 viewsTrumptonBlue

Never really understood the appeal of indoor riding. Cycling in the winter is just as enjoyable as any other time if you have decent clothing. Just avoid the very icy days
TWTD's Cycling massive on 20:35 - Oct 13 with 1243 viewsSwansea_Blue

TWTD's Cycling massive on 17:22 - Oct 13 by Ewan_Oozami

You can use a dumb trainer but still need some extra sensors to capture speed, cadence, heart rate - this is a good reference:

https://zwiftinsider.com/getting-started-classic-trainer/

Great, thanks. I can do all of those if I dig out my old stuff, replace the batteries, scrub off the cobwebs, etc.

TWTD's Cycling massive on 20:38 - Oct 13 with 1236 viewsSwansea_Blue

TWTD's Cycling massive on 20:16 - Oct 13 by TrumptonBlue

Never really understood the appeal of indoor riding. Cycling in the winter is just as enjoyable as any other time if you have decent clothing. Just avoid the very icy days

Depends where you are. Horizontal driving rain in 50 mph winds on the exposed upland and coastal routes around here ins't much fun.

TWTD's Cycling massive on 20:39 - Oct 13 with 1236 viewsgordon

TWTD's Cycling massive on 20:16 - Oct 13 by TrumptonBlue

Yes, this, can't imagine anything more boring. Just about getting the right clothes and avoiding black ice.
TWTD's Cycling massive on 20:46 - Oct 13 with 1221 viewsbluelagos

TWTD's Cycling massive on 20:39 - Oct 13 by gordon

Yes, this, can't imagine anything more boring. Just about getting the right clothes and avoiding black ice.

And avoiding the wet, rain, cold. Also much harder being seen in poorer light / rain and drivers not necessarily as bike aware as in summer months.

Plus the state of my bike today, and I washed it yesterday ffs.

TWTD's Cycling massive on 20:47 - Oct 13 with 1221 viewsTractorWood

TWTD's Cycling massive on 20:39 - Oct 13 by gordon

Zwift on a smart trainer changes the game. There are incredibly competitive races, time trials over different courses, workouts, climbs, meetups, sportives etc. etc.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

TWTD's Cycling massive on 21:41 - Oct 13 with 1202 viewsLeoMuff

TWTD's Cycling massive on 20:38 - Oct 13 by Swansea_Blue

Depends where you are. Horizontal driving rain in 50 mph winds on the exposed upland and coastal routes around here ins't much fun.

Same down in Cornwall, storm comes through and no cycling for 2 weeks, few of those and that’s your fitness down the tubes for those hills...

turbos are awful things but they have their place.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024