Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I could live to be 100 and still not understand Nations League qualifying 02:46 - Oct 14 with 1508 viewsIllinoisblue

It’s qualifiers for the Euros, right? Facking hell.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

I could live to be 100 and still not understand Nations League qualifying on 05:43 - Oct 14 with 1484 viewsOldsmoker

Euro 2020 didn't happen and will take place in 2021.
This explains it but will only confuse you more probably.

https://www.whoscored.com/Articles/2x2jWmkN0ESRiP6UDLXe_Q/Show/UEFA-Nations-Leag

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

I could live to be 100 and still not understand Nations League qualifying on 06:54 - Oct 14 with 1430 viewsgordon

I could live to be 100 and still not understand Nations League qualifying on 05:43 - Oct 14 by Oldsmoker

Euro 2020 didn't happen and will take place in 2021.
This explains it but will only confuse you more probably.

https://www.whoscored.com/Articles/2x2jWmkN0ESRiP6UDLXe_Q/Show/UEFA-Nations-Leag

I get that, but weren't England playing more nations league group games this week? Where does that get you? qualifying for the next Euros?
I could live to be 100 and still not understand Nations League qualifying on 07:13 - Oct 14 with 1395 viewsm14_blue

I could live to be 100 and still not understand Nations League qualifying on 06:54 - Oct 14 by gordon

I get that, but weren't England playing more nations league group games this week? Where does that get you? qualifying for the next Euros?

World Cup I think?
I could live to be 100 and still not understand Nations League qualifying on 07:44 - Oct 14 with 1355 viewsOldsmoker

I could live to be 100 and still not understand Nations League qualifying on 06:54 - Oct 14 by gordon

If you look at the results, the groups for Euro 2020, to be played in 2021, are labelled A,B,C.....
These new groups are A1,B1... which might mean they are for another qualifying competition such as the World cup which will be played Jan 2024 because its Qatar which is sizzling hot in June.
Football calendar really messed up at the moment.

I could live to be 100 and still not understand Nations League qualifying on 07:46 - Oct 14 with 1351 viewsgordon

I could live to be 100 and still not understand Nations League qualifying on 07:13 - Oct 14 by m14_blue

World Cup I think?

Found this on wikipedia page for 2022 world cup, your right. I think it sort of means you can get into a play-off for WC qualifiers without doing that well in your qualifying grou.

Group stage: 10 groups of 5 or 6 teams (with the 4 teams that make the 2021 UEFA Nations League Finals put into the smaller groups) with group winners qualifying for the World Cup finals.

Play-off stage: The 10 group runners-up would be joined by the best 2 Nations League group winners, based on the Nations League overall ranking, that finished outside the top two of their qualifying group. These 12 teams will be drawn into three play-off paths, playing two rounds of single-match play-offs (semi-finals and finals, with the home teams to be drawn), with the 3 path winners qualifying for the World Cup.
I could live to be 100 and still not understand Nations League qualifying on 07:53 - Oct 14 with 1343 viewsOldsmoker

I could live to be 100 and still not understand Nations League qualifying on 07:46 - Oct 14 by gordon

Found this on wikipedia page for 2022 world cup, your right. I think it sort of means you can get into a play-off for WC qualifiers without doing that well in your qualifying grou.

Group stage: 10 groups of 5 or 6 teams (with the 4 teams that make the 2021 UEFA Nations League Finals put into the smaller groups) with group winners qualifying for the World Cup finals.

Play-off stage: The 10 group runners-up would be joined by the best 2 Nations League group winners, based on the Nations League overall ranking, that finished outside the top two of their qualifying group. These 12 teams will be drawn into three play-off paths, playing two rounds of single-match play-offs (semi-finals and finals, with the home teams to be drawn), with the 3 path winners qualifying for the World Cup.

The Nations league seems to be like an insurance policy.
If you qualify in your play-off group then you don't need it.
Screw up and you can fall back on it.
England got 6m euros for finishing 3rd in the last competition so it's not a complete waste.

I could live to be 100 and still not understand Nations League qualifying on 08:38 - Oct 14 with 1278 viewsgordon

I could live to be 100 and still not understand Nations League qualifying on 07:53 - Oct 14 by Oldsmoker

England got 6m euros for finishing 3rd in the last competition so it's not a complete waste.

bah, we never sign anyone decent so what's the point?
I could live to be 100 and still not understand Nations League qualifying on 08:40 - Oct 14 with 1275 viewsIpswichKnight

You can add this to the also very valid if you live to a 100 we will still have won the league more recently than Spurs!
Login to get fewer ads

I could live to be 100 and still not understand Nations League qualifying on 08:47 - Oct 14 with 1265 viewsJakeITFC

The Nations League is its own tournament - we got to the semi-finals of it last year (and lost to Holland).
I could live to be 100 and still not understand Nations League qualifying on 09:02 - Oct 14 with 1240 viewsMonkeyAlan

I could live to be 100 and still not understand Nations League qualifying on 08:47 - Oct 14 by JakeITFC

The Nations League is its own tournament - we got to the semi-finals of it last year (and lost to Holland).

Does anyone actually watch it? I never seem to know England have even played in it or ever pick up the results. I couldn't tell you who we have played in it or who we have to play in it. It doesn't seem to get much coverage.
I could live to be 100 and still not understand Nations League qualifying on 09:03 - Oct 14 with 1239 viewsRadlett_blue

I could live to be 100 and still not understand Nations League qualifying on 07:53 - Oct 14 by Oldsmoker

The reason given for the Nations' League was to try to give some meaning to international "friendly" games. The reality is that it is another UEFA power-play as the battle over control of the game between UEFA & the big European clubs continues. It now means there is an international tournament every summer.
The real idiocy is that we now seem to be playing international triple headers at a time when the fixture list is particularly crammed.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

I could live to be 100 and still not understand Nations League qualifying on 09:06 - Oct 14 with 1230 viewsJakeITFC

I could live to be 100 and still not understand Nations League qualifying on 09:02 - Oct 14 by MonkeyAlan

Does anyone actually watch it? I never seem to know England have even played in it or ever pick up the results. I couldn't tell you who we have played in it or who we have to play in it. It doesn't seem to get much coverage.

Yes, I went to Porto for the finals last year (Portugal v Switzerland and England v Holland both good, I didn't bother with the third place play-off).

We beat Belgium in it on Sunday and are currently top of our group (playing Denmark this evening).
I could live to be 100 and still not understand Nations League qualifying on 09:57 - Oct 14 with 1176 viewsIpswichKnight

I could live to be 100 and still not understand Nations League qualifying on 09:06 - Oct 14 by JakeITFC

Yes, I went to Porto for the finals last year (Portugal v Switzerland and England v Holland both good, I didn't bother with the third place play-off).

We beat Belgium in it on Sunday and are currently top of our group (playing Denmark this evening).

We have 2 home games left against Denmark tonight and Iceland in November with an away game in Belgium also in November. Win the 2 home games and then Belgium have to beat us to top the group.
I could live to be 100 and still not understand Nations League qualifying on 12:39 - Oct 14 with 1082 viewsuefacup81

As I understand it, if we finish top of our group we then get to play the Harlem Globetrotters for a place in the Ashes Final.

Or something like that.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

I could live to be 100 and still not understand Nations League qualifying on 13:13 - Oct 14 with 1051 viewsMonkeyAlan

I could live to be 100 and still not understand Nations League qualifying on 09:06 - Oct 14 by JakeITFC

Thanks. Hadn't got a clue. Still doesn't seem to interest me though. Still won't have any idea how we get on. Never even knew we played Holland last year. No one seems to talk about it. World cup, Euros yes, but this no one cares less.
I could live to be 100 and still not understand Nations League qualifying on 13:56 - Oct 14 with 1011 viewsIllinoisblue

I could live to be 100 and still not understand Nations League qualifying on 08:47 - Oct 14 by JakeITFC

For real? Literally no idea that happened

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

I could live to be 100 and still not understand Nations League qualifying on 14:10 - Oct 14 with 992 viewsquirkie

UEFA brought in the Nations League to be better than meaningless friendlies and to give a route to some real no hope diddy nations like Andorra, San Marino, Scotland, and Liechtenstein a chance to play in a summer tournament

Poll: How long will we be in League One/League Two from next season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024