Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Used car buying 07:11 - Oct 14 with 801 viewsNewcyBlue

Last week I went and viewed a Ford S Max, 2011, top spec, with lots of optional extras.

Perfect.

I pretty much followed my own used car buying guide, that I've posted in other threads. See below, if you're interested.

I'm buying this from a Fiat and Jeep main dealer. They took it in for P-EX for a Jeep.

It ran rough on starting. I took it for a test drive and it was smoking, white smoke. Unburnt fuel entering the exhaust. 1.6 diesel. I got it warm, smoke disappeared and it ran fine. My assessment was that it would most likely be glow plugs. Easy enough to test with a multimeter and a few tools. About a 20 minute job all in really.

I get an email from the garage saying they started it, warmed it up, and say there is no fault. It's a cold start issue, why would there be a fault when it's warm....

They say it's ready for collection today at 1500. I'll go in, open the bonnet, and if the radiator hoses and engine are warm, I'll walk away. It'll tell me that they've warmed it up so the cold start issue is hidden whilst I buy it.

Should I tell them that I'm a fully qualified mechanic with 6 years experience?!

It's an eight thousand pound car that I am paying cash for. It's got the 1.6 diesel engine which is from the PSA factory, an engine I am trained on and know extremely well.

My used car buying guide that I have posted on other threads:

-Open the bonnet when you get there. Have a feel of the radiator hose. If it is hot they may have run the car up to cover up cold start problems, engine noises, etc
-Look for any oil on the engine block, pull the dipstick out and check the colour of the oil. Open the oil filler cap and see if there is any sludge / mayonnaise looking stuff. The mayonnaise stuff may just be condensation, or it may be something more sinister.
-When starting the car look for excessive exhaust fumes, different coloured smoke means different things.
-Bodywork, is it all the same colour. Does any of the paint look like orange peel? The orange peel effect is from a poor paintjob, and could be a sign of a previous accident.
-Are there any differing gaps between any of the panels? Does it look the same on both sides?
-Are the door and window seals in tact?
-Check to see all warning lights come on when turning the ignition on, ensure they extinguish upon starting the engine.
-Does the clutch feel ok? Is there any noise at any point of depressing the clutch pedal?
-When driving is there any excessive play in the steering? Do the brakes work adequately? Are there any unusual noises? Does the steering wobble at speed or under heavy braking? When braking does the car pull to one side?
-Check all equipment is working, lights, wipers, washers, ventilation, windows, mirrors, central locking.
-Check the wheels and tyres. Are locking wheel nuts fitted? If so is the locking wheel nut key with the car?. Check the tread on the tyres. Check the sidewall for bulges
-Paperwork, check service history. Anything 60k plus and you want to be checking if the cambelt has been changed. Check the V5C for spelling mistakes, does the address match the one of the seller. Is the seller the registered keeper? If not, why?

Remember the DVLA MOT Check website is worth a look too. At that sort of money you want to be getting It HPI checked etc.

Drive a couple of the same car (year, engine, spec, mileage). Does one feel noticeably different? That should raise questions.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Used car buying on 07:41 - Oct 14 with 729 viewsbluelagos

Commiserations Newky.

A minimum 18 years driving people carriers ;-)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Used car buying on 08:20 - Oct 14 with 680 viewsNewcyBlue

Used car buying on 07:41 - Oct 14 by bluelagos

Commiserations Newky.

A minimum 18 years driving people carriers ;-)

I’m keeping the Jag. I need a fun car!

Used car buying on 08:22 - Oct 14 with 677 viewsbluelagos

Used car buying on 08:20 - Oct 14 by NewcyBlue

For now...

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Used car buying on 09:38 - Oct 14 with 573 viewsearlsgreenblue

Not sure the glow plugs would be working depending on ambient temperature at that time, it’s possible of course?
But as it’s smart glow then a code read would define it.
More likely however & slightly more mileage orientated would be a fueling issue of some kind, an injector?
When you say “it ran rough” are you thinking misfire on a single cylinder? Or just not happy on all four?
I think your idea of walking away might be a good idea, tomorrow’s cold start & drive away might be a trauma waiting to happen, another thought, is it of cam belt change mileage yet? Somebody got the belt a tooth out? Would get better as it warmed up!
Best of luck either way.
Used car buying on 09:43 - Oct 14 with 557 viewsGeoffSentence

Used car buying on 08:20 - Oct 14 by NewcyBlue

I thought you drove one of those big, old sluggish things for fun.

What was it they call them?

Boat? Yeah that was it, a boat.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Used car buying on 09:44 - Oct 14 with 557 viewsjeera

It could be anything from built up condensation to something more serious.

You know that.

The only solution is what warranty they're prepared to give you with specific cover in writing.

If they trust their vehicles, they won't have a problem with that.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Used car buying on 11:27 - Oct 14 with 493 viewsNewcyBlue

Used car buying on 09:38 - Oct 14 by earlsgreenblue

Not sure the glow plugs would be working depending on ambient temperature at that time, it’s possible of course?
But as it’s smart glow then a code read would define it.
More likely however & slightly more mileage orientated would be a fueling issue of some kind, an injector?
When you say “it ran rough” are you thinking misfire on a single cylinder? Or just not happy on all four?
I think your idea of walking away might be a good idea, tomorrow’s cold start & drive away might be a trauma waiting to happen, another thought, is it of cam belt change mileage yet? Somebody got the belt a tooth out? Would get better as it warmed up!
Best of luck either way.

It was canny cold up here when I viewed the car.

As you say, it could be an injector. I know they leak on these units.

It shouldn’t have had a cam belt yet. It’s 56k miles on it.

I think it ran a bit rough due to a bit of a misfire on one cylinder. Hence my thinking of the glow plug. Not warming the combustion chamber up enough.

I meant to bring my multi meter along and have a quick check. Getting ready to visit the twins, I forgot.

I may end up walking away, that’s my current thinking.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024