Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Quaner, Spence, Rowe, Wordsworth free agents 14:10 - Oct 14 with 1958 viewsmonty_radio

Not suggesting we revisit. Just thinking about the fact that these four were with us for some time mostly without breaking through. Even so, at various times, some said things like "there's a player in there somewhere" while more robust critics insisted that, if there was, then he was buried too deep to recover. While none was clearly Championship material, and perhaps our persistence with such players was already showing the writing on the wall for us, yet, of these, only Spence was mentioned in the worst player thread of a few days ago. They are still young enough to hope for an upturn in their career, yet, obviously, no manager sees it that way, unless perhaps they are setting their sights too high?
[Post edited 14 Oct 2020 23:38]

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Quaner, Spence, Rowe, Wordsworth free agents on 14:15 - Oct 14 with 1922 viewsSWGF

Would imagine Rowe/Wordsworth are being hampered by restricted squad sizes and salary caps. Spence has probably got lunch booked on Hollywood Boulevard later on, and isn't that fussed about playing League Two football.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Quaner, Spence, Rowe, Wordsworth free agents on 14:16 - Oct 14 with 1909 viewsclive_baker

Not overly surprised by any of them. I thought Rowe looked half decent on the rare occasions we saw him, pretty direct winger which I liked. Quaner was poor considering the sort of money he was on at Huddersfield. Would probably do a job for us now in L1 but as you say he's probably become accustomed to earning far more than anyone at this level would throw his way.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Quaner, Spence, Rowe, Wordsworth free agents on 14:20 - Oct 14 with 1878 viewsSouperJim

Quaner is probably the best of the bunch and he was thoroughly underwhelming. I think he can still do a job somewhere at a reasonable level, but time isn't on his side to suddenly fulfill any hidden potential.

25 Premier League appearances for Huddersfield is something I guess? But 0.16 career goals per game isn't exactly a blistering return for a striker.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Quaner, Spence, Rowe, Wordsworth free agents on 14:22 - Oct 14 with 1864 viewsRadlett_blue

Quaner, Spence, Rowe, Wordsworth free agents on 14:16 - Oct 14 by clive_baker

Not overly surprised by any of them. I thought Rowe looked half decent on the rare occasions we saw him, pretty direct winger which I liked. Quaner was poor considering the sort of money he was on at Huddersfield. Would probably do a job for us now in L1 but as you say he's probably become accustomed to earning far more than anyone at this level would throw his way.

Of those, I thought only Danny Rowe showed much potential, but he was very unlucky with injuries in his time at Town. Did OK in his loan spells at Lincoln, but maybe the reality is he's a good 4th tier player & none of the clubs there have any spare cash to add to their squads.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Quaner, Spence, Rowe, Wordsworth free agents on 14:44 - Oct 14 with 1800 viewsGarv

I'd take Quaner now if it was affordable, which I'm sure it isn't. When fit he was useful to have and scored a handful of goals, if I remember correctly it just took him way too long to get up to speed after joining.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Quaner, Spence, Rowe, Wordsworth free agents on 14:45 - Oct 14 with 1794 viewsmonty_radio

Quaner, Spence, Rowe, Wordsworth free agents on 14:16 - Oct 14 by clive_baker

Yeah - I guess money must be at the root of it. We signed Rowe from the National League where, this week, I watched Wrexham v Maidenhead. I've seen good games in that league, but the standard of this game was pretty dire, and Rowe's compact style with a fair crossing ability would definitely have made him stand out.

Quaner, Spence, Rowe, Wordsworth free agents on 14:59 - Oct 14 with 1734 viewsIpswichKnight

Quaner, Spence, Rowe, Wordsworth free agents on 14:44 - Oct 14 by Garv

I'd take Quaner now if it was affordable, which I'm sure it isn't. When fit he was useful to have and scored a handful of goals, if I remember correctly it just took him way too long to get up to speed after joining.

He wouldn't be able to afford the riverside flat he had in Woodbridge now! I'd happily take him as well he would be handful and can lead the line by himself as well, we'd actually get him some decent service as well.
Quaner, Spence, Rowe, Wordsworth free agents on 15:13 - Oct 14 with 1678 viewsclive_baker

Quaner, Spence, Rowe, Wordsworth free agents on 14:59 - Oct 14 by IpswichKnight

He wouldn't be able to afford the riverside flat he had in Woodbridge now! I'd happily take him as well he would be handful and can lead the line by himself as well, we'd actually get him some decent service as well.

He's very much the type of player that we could do with in this system, to take some of the burden off Hawkins. I think that central role would suit him really well, but I would imagine it's a tough sell to a player who has spent the past 2.5 years on £1m p/a to drop down to a fraction of that. Depends on a lot of factors I guess, such as how he's looked after his money, but if you're going to earn relative peanuts you might as well do so closer to home.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Login to get fewer ads

Quaner, Spence, Rowe, Wordsworth free agents on 22:07 - Oct 14 with 1233 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Quaner, Spence, Rowe, Wordsworth free agents on 22:27 - Oct 14 with 1181 viewsSuperblue95

Spence was mentioned in the worst player thread actually.

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Quaner, Spence, Rowe, Wordsworth free agents on 22:33 - Oct 14 with 1165 viewsdickie

I was willing Wordsworth to succeed here as he was always great for me on career mode on Fifa.
Quaner, Spence, Rowe, Wordsworth free agents on 23:40 - Oct 14 with 1081 viewsmonty_radio

Quaner, Spence, Rowe, Wordsworth free agents on 22:27 - Oct 14 by Superblue95

Spence was mentioned in the worst player thread actually.

Thanks (see edit) - but if he was mentioned, given the hundreds of candidates over time, that's ridiculous.

Quaner, Spence, Rowe, Wordsworth free agents on 01:33 - Oct 15 with 1023 viewsBLUEBEAT

I’d take Quaner, especially with whatever the fck is going on with No Good Norwood.

Quaner seemed to just get up to speed at the end of his term here!

Poll: W or W

Quaner, Spence, Rowe, Wordsworth free agents on 07:44 - Oct 15 with 912 viewsSuperblue95

Quaner, Spence, Rowe, Wordsworth free agents on 23:40 - Oct 14 by monty_radio

Thanks (see edit) - but if he was mentioned, given the hundreds of candidates over time, that's ridiculous.

Agreed

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Quaner, Spence, Rowe, Wordsworth free agents on 08:16 - Oct 15 with 871 viewsHerbivore

Quaner, Spence, Rowe, Wordsworth free agents on 23:40 - Oct 14 by monty_radio

Mick signings tend to get bonus points in those kinds of threads. Spence is nowhere near our worst ever player. He was poor in our relegation season, as was everyone, and a mixed bag prior to that but he put in plenty of decent performances at a higher level than we're playing at now.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Quaner, Spence, Rowe, Wordsworth free agents on 09:09 - Oct 15 with 813 viewsIpswichKnight

Quaner, Spence, Rowe, Wordsworth free agents on 08:16 - Oct 15 by Herbivore

Mick signings tend to get bonus points in those kinds of threads. Spence is nowhere near our worst ever player. He was poor in our relegation season, as was everyone, and a mixed bag prior to that but he put in plenty of decent performances at a higher level than we're playing at now.

Scored a great winner at Millwall which caused a nice long celebration and a nice long wait to get out of the ground after as the locals didn't share our sense of joy at winning!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024