Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Internet help 18:56 - Oct 15 with 1202 viewsFrimleyBlue

This place has always been great for random help.

So.. trying to help the in-laws.

They're have issues with their WiFi disconnecting when using house phone.

I've checked filters. Router etc. They're standard non cordless phones so definately not using same channels as the router.

What else could be causing the internet to drop?

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Internet help on 19:00 - Oct 15 with 1163 viewsPendejo

See
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54239180

Maybe?

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Internet help on 19:02 - Oct 15 with 1160 viewsBlueBadger

Had a an issue like this several years ago. It eventually turned out to be a card not correctly inserted at the exchange, but it took months of arguing with BT Tech Support and an eventual threat to withhold payment of line and wireless rental until they actually properly fixed it.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Internet help on 19:09 - Oct 15 with 1138 viewsstopmoaning

What kind of Socket do they have? One with a filter built in, or without? I would remove that faceplate either way and plug straight into that hidden master socket incase the faceplate is dodgy.

It sounds like it could well be dodgy wiring though, if they run a line test does it pass or fail?

If push comes to shove, you could probably damage it a bit outside the house so it fails for certain (obviously this is not endorsed by this site), then they should put a new run and master socket in.

Most the time when a Bt engineer comes out, it’s just pot luck if you get a good one or a lazy one. I’ve dealt with hundreds of them over the years.
Internet help on 19:11 - Oct 15 with 1142 viewsBlueBadger

Internet help on 19:09 - Oct 15 by stopmoaning

What kind of Socket do they have? One with a filter built in, or without? I would remove that faceplate either way and plug straight into that hidden master socket incase the faceplate is dodgy.

It sounds like it could well be dodgy wiring though, if they run a line test does it pass or fail?

If push comes to shove, you could probably damage it a bit outside the house so it fails for certain (obviously this is not endorsed by this site), then they should put a new run and master socket in.

Most the time when a Bt engineer comes out, it’s just pot luck if you get a good one or a lazy one. I’ve dealt with hundreds of them over the years.

At this point, my old man(who was a computer hardware engineer for many years)'s joke about BT Martlesham springs to mind.

'Do you know how many people work there? About half of them'.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2020 19:20]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Internet help on 19:14 - Oct 15 with 1112 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Internet help on 19:11 - Oct 15 by BlueBadger

At this point, my old man(who was a computer hardware engineer for many years)'s joke about BT Martlesham springs to mind.

The joke works better with a "how many" in it!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Internet help on 19:18 - Oct 15 with 1109 viewswkj

Give em a call. I have 2 ports in my home and when I moved in, if my phone was connected int he lounge, my office port didnt work. Sounds like a them problem personally.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Internet help on 19:19 - Oct 15 with 1095 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Internet help on 19:14 - Oct 15 by Nthsuffolkblue

The joke works better with a "how many" in it!

Not sure "how wany" really works either! Try again with the edit!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Internet help on 20:11 - Oct 15 with 1034 viewsfactual_blue

They stopped being the GPO.

Then it all went wrong.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

Internet help on 20:34 - Oct 15 with 1018 viewsfactual_blue

Compare and contrast with 'How many people work at British Leyland's Longbridge factory?'

Answer - 'Nobody works at British Leyland's Longbridge factory'.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Internet help on 23:27 - Oct 15 with 910 viewsBasuco

I would suggest going right back to the first socket where the line comes into the house, disconnect the wiring that goes to other sockets. Plug in a filter, if you have a new one or known good one that would be best, plug in router and telephone and see what happens.
Internet help on 01:18 - Oct 16 with 855 viewsEly_Blue

Do they have a phone plugged into an extension box elsewhere in the house other than the main phone socket?

We had an issue when we had a phone plugged into our extension socket in the bedroom, took the phone out..... problem solved

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Internet help on 04:06 - Oct 16 with 829 viewsRyorry

I know little tech stuff compared with whiz kids on here, but one avenue my ISP went down when I had landline & wifi connection problems simultaneously, was my smart TV being wifi connected & switched on at the same time as computer & phone in use.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Internet help on 10:42 - Oct 16 with 714 viewsRyorry

Internet help on 20:11 - Oct 15 by factual_blue

They stopped being the GPO.

Then it all went wrong.

Openreach Engineer came to house this morning to deal with 11th fault on landline in past 5 months caused by Openreach digging up their own landlines - twice - when laying fibreoptic cable down the lane 300m - 1 mile away. Landline thus out of action on av. for 1 week per month for the last 5 months.

Guy this am had no idea that the fault wasn't at the property but down the lane. From different area, had no idea where fault was, they'd passed on 0 info. He told me to contact my service provider. I pointed out that my service provider is BT, and he should therefore speak with his own managers at Openreach for the fault history on the line - whereupon he said "no, it's up to you (ie me) to speak with BT, I'm from Openreach and they're nothing to do with BT" !!!!! He looked about 17.

Told him I'd be contacting my MP and BT CEO if he didn't ring Openreach himself and ascertain where fault lay. It is now more or less working OK (still quite a lot of crackling, but at least got dial tone & had convo) - till the next time it rains ...

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Internet help on 10:51 - Oct 16 with 706 viewsGeoffSentence

Internet help on 10:42 - Oct 16 by Ryorry

Openreach Engineer came to house this morning to deal with 11th fault on landline in past 5 months caused by Openreach digging up their own landlines - twice - when laying fibreoptic cable down the lane 300m - 1 mile away. Landline thus out of action on av. for 1 week per month for the last 5 months.

Guy this am had no idea that the fault wasn't at the property but down the lane. From different area, had no idea where fault was, they'd passed on 0 info. He told me to contact my service provider. I pointed out that my service provider is BT, and he should therefore speak with his own managers at Openreach for the fault history on the line - whereupon he said "no, it's up to you (ie me) to speak with BT, I'm from Openreach and they're nothing to do with BT" !!!!! He looked about 17.

Told him I'd be contacting my MP and BT CEO if he didn't ring Openreach himself and ascertain where fault lay. It is now more or less working OK (still quite a lot of crackling, but at least got dial tone & had convo) - till the next time it rains ...

We had a problem a few months back, lightning strike fused a load of lines together. To be fair to Openreach they fixed it in pretty short order, however they only did a half-arsed job, the lines no longer run from pole to pole, instead they go along banks and through hedges. I am just waiting for someone to come along and cut the hedge and my internet access with it.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024