Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So Dobra has decided to stay and fight for his place... 10:44 - Oct 16 with 2556 viewsThatMuhrenCross

Wise or foolish?

Personally, I think it's a great show of character from the lad, but now he's got to go and show the manager how serious he is about getting into the team. If he's not the first person to arrive in the morning, and the last to leave at night, then he's wasted an opportunity.

If we're assuming Edwards has pretty much nailed down the left-wing, I'd say that right-wing is still there for the taking. I'd like to see Lambert give him a game and see what he can do there. I think he's got a lot of potential but now's the time to show it.

Poll: Ipswich offer you 10k a week, Norwich offer you 20k. Who do you join?
Blog: The Cashless Debate

So Dobra has decided to stay and fight for his place... on 10:47 - Oct 16 with 2277 viewsbluefunk

He should have gone, he needs to be playing week in week out, come back in January, then fight for the place
So Dobra has decided to stay and fight for his place... on 10:49 - Oct 16 with 2273 viewsSitfcB

On one hand, good on him, on the other, silly move.

We are basically Saturday/Tuesday until Christmas beginning tomorrow so something could give for him to get first team chance, other than that it’s down to him to impress Lambert in training (if he trains with the first team that is) but I feel Lambert is a stubborn to€€er and won’t play him even if he does well.

But might’ve been wise to go out on loan and impress that way, in real games.
[Post edited 16 Oct 2020 10:53]

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

So Dobra has decided to stay and fight for his place... on 10:54 - Oct 16 with 2240 viewsButterbing

It’s a gamble for him but he is obviously confident in his abilities. He could have gone out and got guaranteed games. However, he must feel that he will be given a chance to prove himself here.
So Dobra has decided to stay and fight for his place... on 10:59 - Oct 16 with 2215 viewsHerbivore

Fair play to him I'd say. It seems Crawley wanted to play him as a winger, presumably in a 4-4-2, and whilst there's an argument that playing regularly is important, he obviously felt that playing regularly in a position that doesn't suit him wasn't the best thing for his career. Ideally I'd like to see him on the bench here now, he's one of very few players we have that has the ability to change a game with a bit of magic. As Lankester gets fit he'll be first choice on the right of the front three but I'd like to see Dobra being the back up option on that side for 20 minutes off the bench and the odd start.
[Post edited 16 Oct 2020 11:26]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

So Dobra has decided to stay and fight for his place... on 11:16 - Oct 16 with 2148 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Should have taken the loan move. Won’t feature too much you’d imagine this year, loan move really would have benefited him.

He wants to play the number 10, but we aren’t even playing with that this year, feel it will be either wide or nothing here.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

So Dobra has decided to stay and fight for his place... on 11:19 - Oct 16 with 2135 viewsJakeITFC

Having been to Crawley, very wise.
So Dobra has decided to stay and fight for his place... on 11:20 - Oct 16 with 2134 viewsFtnfwest

It's a long season and look how many injuries we've already got
So Dobra has decided to stay and fight for his place... on 11:21 - Oct 16 with 2133 viewstractorboy1978

So Dobra has decided to stay and fight for his place... on 10:59 - Oct 16 by Herbivore

Fair play to him I'd say. It seems Crawley wanted to play him as a winger, presumably in a 4-4-2, and whilst there's an argument that playing regularly is important, he obviously felt that playing regularly in a position that doesn't suit him wasn't the best thing for his career. Ideally I'd like to see him on the bench here now, he's one of very few players we have that has the ability to change a game with a bit of magic. As Lankester gets fit he'll be first choice on the right of the front three but I'd like to see Dobra being the back up option on that side for 20 minutes off the bench and the odd start.
[Post edited 16 Oct 2020 11:26]

Bennetts is here to play a big part too. Seems a bit of a coup us getting him here so I'd be surprised if he doesn't nail down a starting place once he gets fully fit and going.
Login to get fewer ads

So Dobra has decided to stay and fight for his place... on 11:28 - Oct 16 with 2108 viewsHerbivore

So Dobra has decided to stay and fight for his place... on 11:21 - Oct 16 by tractorboy1978

Bennetts is here to play a big part too. Seems a bit of a coup us getting him here so I'd be surprised if he doesn't nail down a starting place once he gets fully fit and going.

We'll see. He's not played a lot of football so he's essentially a raw prospect. Hopefully he'll be excellent for us and play a big part but we don't really know how good he is just now.
[Post edited 16 Oct 2020 11:37]

So Dobra has decided to stay and fight for his place... on 11:35 - Oct 16 with 2079 viewsEdwardStone

So Dobra has decided to stay and fight for his place... on 11:19 - Oct 16 by JakeITFC

Having been to Crawley, very wise.

I went to Crawley once....I thought it was kinda creepy
So Dobra has decided to stay and fight for his place... on 11:46 - Oct 16 with 2040 viewsclive_baker

Personally, I think it's a curious one. There's a lot of traffic between him and playing regular first team football here at the moment, even more so with the arrival of Bennetts. I would imagine he, Edwards, Sears, Lankester and Judge are all ahead of Dobra in one of the wide roles in Lamberts head. I would like to see more of Dobra, especially off the bench where I think he could be a bit of a wildcard against tiring defences.

The opportunity to go and showcase my talents in L2 I would've been all over at his age though. Absolutely chomping at the bit to go and be a bigger fish in a first team set up. Obviously we don't know what conversations have taken place, if he didn't have the reasons to believe he would start at Crawley, then there's an argument he's better off not playing here rather than not playing there.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

So Dobra has decided to stay and fight for his place... on 11:50 - Oct 16 with 2032 viewstractorboy1978

So Dobra has decided to stay and fight for his place... on 11:46 - Oct 16 by clive_baker

Personally, I think it's a curious one. There's a lot of traffic between him and playing regular first team football here at the moment, even more so with the arrival of Bennetts. I would imagine he, Edwards, Sears, Lankester and Judge are all ahead of Dobra in one of the wide roles in Lamberts head. I would like to see more of Dobra, especially off the bench where I think he could be a bit of a wildcard against tiring defences.

The opportunity to go and showcase my talents in L2 I would've been all over at his age though. Absolutely chomping at the bit to go and be a bigger fish in a first team set up. Obviously we don't know what conversations have taken place, if he didn't have the reasons to believe he would start at Crawley, then there's an argument he's better off not playing here rather than not playing there.

Equally though, any open-minded, fair manager should be considering him if he's impressing in training and doing the business when he does get game time (i.e vs Gillingham). But Judge has been cr@p since signing full time and still plays so...
So Dobra has decided to stay and fight for his place... on 11:57 - Oct 16 with 2007 viewsclive_baker

So Dobra has decided to stay and fight for his place... on 11:50 - Oct 16 by tractorboy1978

Equally though, any open-minded, fair manager should be considering him if he's impressing in training and doing the business when he does get game time (i.e vs Gillingham). But Judge has been cr@p since signing full time and still plays so...

I'm no Lambert fan, but at the moment we're top of the league and generally playing well. On the one hand people have called for him to stop rotating (rightly IMO, as it was one of our big downfalls last season), and on the other people are accusing him of being stubborn and having favourites / not giving the likes of Dobra a chance. There were calls last week to play Ndaba too.

You're as good as your last game, and for now I think we have to stick with what we're doing. We can't have it both ways.

So Dobra has decided to stay and fight for his place... on 12:00 - Oct 16 with 1995 viewstractorboy1978

So Dobra has decided to stay and fight for his place... on 11:57 - Oct 16 by clive_baker

I'm no Lambert fan, but at the moment we're top of the league and generally playing well. On the one hand people have called for him to stop rotating (rightly IMO, as it was one of our big downfalls last season), and on the other people are accusing him of being stubborn and having favourites / not giving the likes of Dobra a chance. There were calls last week to play Ndaba too.

You're as good as your last game, and for now I think we have to stick with what we're doing. We can't have it both ways.

I agree with that. Just saying if he's training well he shouldn't necessarily be a million miles away in terms of getting on bench, getting minutes and pushing to start if we do need to freshen things up (which inevitably we will need to do at some point).
So Dobra has decided to stay and fight for his place... on 12:03 - Oct 16 with 1987 viewsHerbivore

So Dobra has decided to stay and fight for his place... on 11:57 - Oct 16 by clive_baker

I would suggest though that nobody has really nailed down the third spot in the front three. Hawkins is nailed on almost by default at the minute, and Edwards has earned a spot with his performances. Sears and Judge haven't offered enough though and Lankester is still getting match fitness back. There's a gap there at the minute. Personally I'd much rather see Dobra on the bench filling that gap for 20 minutes as he's a much more dynamic option than Judge or Sears. It's hard to see either of them coming on and winning you the game. I don't think anyone has ever had an issue either with making a couple of changes to the line up based on form, fitness, and the opposition. There's a big old grey area between Lambingo with it's 5 changes and a different formation every week and keeping the exact same starting XI each week.

So Dobra has decided to stay and fight for his place... on 12:14 - Oct 16 with 1979 viewsitfcjoe

I think he probably should have gone, the fact he's starting for the 23s at Birmingham today shows how far off 1st team here PL sees him.

Think going to get 10-12 games under his belt was a big opportunity

But we have a lot of games in a short time frame so he may get lucky - sadly I imagine it will just be cup games fro him until January barring a disaster/miracle

Window is open again in 10 weeks so not like usual scenario where if doesn't go out has all of Sept, Oct, Nov and Dec to do nothing in

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

So Dobra has decided to stay and fight for his place... on 12:16 - Oct 16 with 1968 viewsclive_baker

So Dobra has decided to stay and fight for his place... on 12:00 - Oct 16 by tractorboy1978

I agree with that. Just saying if he's training well he shouldn't necessarily be a million miles away in terms of getting on bench, getting minutes and pushing to start if we do need to freshen things up (which inevitably we will need to do at some point).

I agree, I personally would have him on the bench and involve him more, for sure. I'm just saying if he's turned down the chance to go to Crawley for that, he might be a little bit disappointed on the evidence we've seen. He's played <1 hour of league football under Lambert, and that was before we were winning & Bennetts had arrived. I hope I'm wrong but I really think he's opportunities will be limited this season.

So Dobra has decided to stay and fight for his place... on 15:42 - Oct 16 with 1838 viewsITFC_96

So Dobra has decided to stay and fight for his place... on 12:14 - Oct 16 by itfcjoe

I think he probably should have gone, the fact he's starting for the 23s at Birmingham today shows how far off 1st team here PL sees him.

Think going to get 10-12 games under his belt was a big opportunity

But we have a lot of games in a short time frame so he may get lucky - sadly I imagine it will just be cup games fro him until January barring a disaster/miracle

Window is open again in 10 weeks so not like usual scenario where if doesn't go out has all of Sept, Oct, Nov and Dec to do nothing in

Somewhat ridiculous comment as there is no chance he was going to get 10-12 games... El Mizouni has barely featured for Cambridge as an example. If they aren't going to play him then he should absolutely be here.
So Dobra has decided to stay and fight for his place... on 15:48 - Oct 16 with 1825 viewsitfcjoe

So Dobra has decided to stay and fight for his place... on 15:42 - Oct 16 by ITFC_96

Somewhat ridiculous comment as there is no chance he was going to get 10-12 games... El Mizouni has barely featured for Cambridge as an example. If they aren't going to play him then he should absolutely be here.

It's hardly ridiculous to suggest he'll play 10-12 games. El Mizouni will get games there - but he's got to earn his spot

So Dobra has decided to stay and fight for his place... on 15:51 - Oct 16 with 1811 viewsITFC_96

So Dobra has decided to stay and fight for his place... on 15:48 - Oct 16 by itfcjoe

It's hardly ridiculous to suggest he'll play 10-12 games. El Mizouni will get games there - but he's got to earn his spot

They only have 11 games left till the window re-opens. There is absolutely zero chance he was going to play every game. Earn the spot? You might as well be here if they aren't going to be playing you. Loan players are always second best to a team's own players so there is already the same amount of competition as there would be here...
So Dobra has decided to stay and fight for his place... on 15:53 - Oct 16 with 1804 viewsitfcjoe

So Dobra has decided to stay and fight for his place... on 15:51 - Oct 16 by ITFC_96

They only have 11 games left till the window re-opens. There is absolutely zero chance he was going to play every game. Earn the spot? You might as well be here if they aren't going to be playing you. Loan players are always second best to a team's own players so there is already the same amount of competition as there would be here...

The competition here is Judge, Edwards, Lankester, Bennetts and Sears - if Crawley have that same level of competition they wouldn't be looking to sign Dobra and would be tearing up league 2

So Dobra has decided to stay and fight for his place... on 19:55 - Oct 16 with 1598 viewsstrikalite

Sooner see him go and play at a better standard like the Spanish or German second division, what's he going to learn in League Two, how to play at a worse standard? Ok I get the needing of games but if I wanna be a better golfer I go and play with better players...no?

Agree with Herbs though, he'd always be on my bench too for that crucial last 20 minutes..
So Dobra has decided to stay and fight for his place... on 20:18 - Oct 16 with 1575 viewsgordon

So Dobra has decided to stay and fight for his place... on 10:49 - Oct 16 by SitfcB

On one hand, good on him, on the other, silly move.

We are basically Saturday/Tuesday until Christmas beginning tomorrow so something could give for him to get first team chance, other than that it’s down to him to impress Lambert in training (if he trains with the first team that is) but I feel Lambert is a stubborn to€€er and won’t play him even if he does well.

But might’ve been wise to go out on loan and impress that way, in real games.
[Post edited 16 Oct 2020 10:53]

It's the stubbornness of Lambert is the problem for him - there's no way Lambert will play him now because that would effectively prove that Lambert made the wrong decision to let him go out on loan.
So Dobra has decided to stay and fight for his place... on 20:28 - Oct 16 with 1552 viewsBluefish

He presumably thinks the manager won't be here long and the next one will be more competent

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

So Dobra has decided to stay and fight for his place... on 20:59 - Oct 16 with 1500 viewsPhilTWTD

So Dobra has decided to stay and fight for his place... on 15:53 - Oct 16 by itfcjoe

The competition here is Judge, Edwards, Lankester, Bennetts and Sears - if Crawley have that same level of competition they wouldn't be looking to sign Dobra and would be tearing up league 2

He sees his competition as those playing more centrally, Crawley wanting to play him wide was why he didn't fancy the move. Agree with the overall point though, I think he's going to have to do very well to get too many games here and a loan would have benefited him.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024