Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Losing the midfield battle 15:45 - Oct 17 with 1156 viewsclive_baker

Really miss Downes in a game like this.

Nolan required IMO.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Losing the midfield battle on 15:47 - Oct 17 with 1135 viewsGeoffSentence

Need Huws to step up at the moment.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Losing the midfield battle on 15:48 - Oct 17 with 1125 viewsStokieBlue

It's too slow as well, Kenlock and Huws on the left are never playing it forwards.

SB

Avatar - IC484 - Horsehead and Flame Nebulae

Losing the midfield battle on 15:48 - Oct 17 with 1105 viewsMeltonBlue

Doesn't help that Holy keeps bypassing the midfield.... Who is he expecting to win a header or hold the ball up??
Losing the midfield battle on 15:50 - Oct 17 with 1080 viewsitfcjoe

There is no one to play off and into though so really tough for them to play - but no one having a good game.

Think it needs a reshuffle, there are 3 players in the mjatchday squad in Sears, Lankester and SImpson who can play CF - Judge is trying, getting involved, and looks likely to make something happen - but his drifting is just ruining anything we do

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Losing the midfield battle on 15:50 - Oct 17 with 1073 viewsTampa_Florida_Blue

sounding like a real mess to me.
Losing the midfield battle on 15:50 - Oct 17 with 1064 viewshomer_123

Losing the midfield battle on 15:48 - Oct 17 by StokieBlue

It's too slow as well, Kenlock and Huws on the left are never playing it forwards.

SB

Back to pedestrian football SB.

We are lacking ideas as well.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Losing the midfield battle on 15:50 - Oct 17 with 1063 viewsjayessess

Downes yes, but also all 3 of them have been poor even at the things they do well. Dozzell's radar is off, Bishop's giving the ball way, Huws similar.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Losing the midfield battle on 15:51 - Oct 17 with 1060 viewsacj

Losing the midfield battle on 15:48 - Oct 17 by MeltonBlue

Doesn't help that Holy keeps bypassing the midfield.... Who is he expecting to win a header or hold the ball up??

To be fair Accrington have pressed well in that first half, and we’ve just not been able to find an answer to it. Think I’d throw in Nolan as suggested in the OP, for either of Bishop or Huws.

Poll: Will Town score again this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Losing the midfield battle on 15:51 - Oct 17 with 1063 viewsHerbivore

Problems all over, back 4 aside who have been okay. The issue we've got is they can focus on packing the midfield and pressing us to stop us playing knowing that if we go long they will mop it up easily. They can compress the game fairly comfortably meaning no space for our midfielders. It's been pretty abject from us but then I'm not sure what else to expect when playing Alan Judge as a central striker. No disrespect to him, he's put a shift in, but he's about as much use as a League 1 centre forward as my nan is.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Losing the midfield battle on 15:51 - Oct 17 with 1034 viewsclive_baker

In his defence, he needs an out ball which he doesn’t have. That said, his distribution is awful at times.

I think I would try Simpson for Sears. Judge & Edwards in the wide roles off him.

Nolan on for Bishop too, to get hold of the ball and look after it a little better. Really need to tighten up in the midfield, they’re cutting through like butter.

Losing the midfield battle on 15:54 - Oct 17 with 981 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I think Holy has kicked it long when needed because he hasn't had options. They are closing us down well. Don't want to see us give away anything at the back - we already nearly did once.

Bartosz has gifted Wycombe a goal in the Championship today.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Losing the midfield battle on 15:55 - Oct 17 with 966 viewsRobTheMonk

It's basically showing us how effective Hawkins is as creating space and causing uncertainty in opposing defences.

Also a little puzzled why Edwards didn't start on the left as he was great there last week.
Losing the midfield battle on 15:55 - Oct 17 with 951 viewsDarth_Koont

I think it’s the shapelessness of what’s ahead of them that’s the problem. Having said that, Teddy looks a bit out of sorts with the ball so maybe Nolan to keep it tidy.

Personally, I’d take off Judge (for any of Simpson, Bennetts and Lankester) and try to get our forwards to keep position and stretch the defence more.

Pronouns: He/Him

Losing the midfield battle on 15:55 - Oct 17 with 950 viewsStokieBlue

Losing the midfield battle on 15:50 - Oct 17 by homer_123

Back to pedestrian football SB.

We are lacking ideas as well.

It's been poor and I think that is almost entirely down to the bizarre decision to play Judge CF/False 9.

Lankester or Simpson would be better then. To be honest even Huws would be better as he can certainly hold the ball up and bring people into play and is far more physical than Judge.

SB

Avatar - IC484 - Horsehead and Flame Nebulae

Losing the midfield battle on 15:57 - Oct 17 with 928 viewsitfcjoe

He doesn't trust his defenders to take the ball - if it comes back to him under pressure then go long - but not from Goal Kicks

His organisation and decision making is all over the place truth be told

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Losing the midfield battle on 15:58 - Oct 17 with 909 viewsclive_baker

Losing the midfield battle on 15:55 - Oct 17 by StokieBlue

It's been poor and I think that is almost entirely down to the bizarre decision to play Judge CF/False 9.

Lankester or Simpson would be better then. To be honest even Huws would be better as he can certainly hold the ball up and bring people into play and is far more physical than Judge.

SB

I don’t think Lankester would be any more appropriate. Judge has been one of our better players, he’s organising well and for the first 25 minutes at least was involved in everything. I would put him wide where Sears is and put Simpson through the middle. Give them something different to think about.

We need to shore up in the middle. Nolan on for Bishop would be prudent IMO. Perhaps even Lankester for Huws.

Losing the midfield battle on 16:01 - Oct 17 with 863 viewsNthsuffolkblue

SB

That's a fair shout to save a substitution at half time - switch Judge and Huws round.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Losing the midfield battle on 16:01 - Oct 17 with 857 viewsbournemouthblue

Losing the midfield battle on 15:51 - Oct 17 by acj

To be fair Accrington have pressed well in that first half, and we’ve just not been able to find an answer to it. Think I’d throw in Nolan as suggested in the OP, for either of Bishop or Huws.

Bishop has had a shocker, we are definitely being outmuscled in there

How long is Lambert going to persist with Judge in this strange position?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Losing the midfield battle on 16:02 - Oct 17 with 847 viewsEly_Blue

We’re missing a focal point for the attack, when the midfield get closed down we don’t have a plan B of the long ball up with players feeding off the striker to give them something different to think about and to turn the midfield.

It’s all quite slow and in front of Accrington which is easy to defend with the big players they have

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Losing the midfield battle on 16:02 - Oct 17 with 843 viewsHerbivore

Losing the midfield battle on 15:58 - Oct 17 by clive_baker

I don’t think Lankester would be any more appropriate. Judge has been one of our better players, he’s organising well and for the first 25 minutes at least was involved in everything. I would put him wide where Sears is and put Simpson through the middle. Give them something different to think about.

We need to shore up in the middle. Nolan on for Bishop would be prudent IMO. Perhaps even Lankester for Huws.

Judge doesn't offer enough of a threat out wide. Sears at least looks capable of getting in behind and doing damage. Judge needs to come off for Simpson or even Lankester, someone who will play higher up the pitch and give them something to think about.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Losing the midfield battle on 16:03 - Oct 17 with 841 viewshomer_123

SB

Judge is certainly a 'false' 9. Just not in the current football sense.

We are looking increasingly poor in keeping the ball up top. This as we are seeing leads to loss of possesion and increasing pressure from Accrington.

No changes at half time either....grrrr

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Losing the midfield battle on 16:04 - Oct 17 with 819 viewsScuzzer

He has to. Their forwards are pressed right up to our defenders so he has no option to play it long...and what we have up front makes it impossible to get hold of the ball. I think they have done their homework well.

Established 1968

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024