Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Covid Vaccine 17:24 - Oct 18 with 4387 viewsBasuco

Clinical trials of a Covid vaccine is due to start in Addenbrookes Cambridge in early November, it is a live attenuated vaccine. Still a long way to go but good to hear things are moving forward.
Covid Vaccine on 10:22 - Oct 19 with 847 viewsMookamoo

Covid Vaccine on 09:55 - Oct 19 by bracknell_blue

That is not a reason for widely giving the vaccine. The more people that are immune, the less chance of passing the virus to someone in a vulnerbale group. Not to mention the "long COVID" that is being reported where symptoms can be long term if not permanent, such as deafness. The potential damage that COVID can do means that as many people as possible should get vaccinated.

This is the list of priority groups
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/priority-groups-for-coronavirus-covid

Kate Bingham - Head of the UK Vaccination Task Force said they aimed to vaccinate 30million with no vaccination of people under 18.
Covid Vaccine on 14:52 - Oct 19 with 776 viewsBlueBadger

Covid Vaccine on 09:16 - Oct 19 by ElephantintheRoom

It's a pity that one hundredth of the same effort isn't put into research for far more pressing problems than yet another 'vaccine' for a virus that appears of little consequence to the vast majority of the population.

New generation antibiotics for example could save millions more lives.

Covid is presently ten times more lethal than flu. Do we stop vaccinating for flu as well now?

Also:

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Covid Vaccine on 14:53 - Oct 19 with 774 viewsBlueBadger

Covid Vaccine on 17:49 - Oct 18 by Trequartista

Phase 3 of the clinical trials requires the vaccine to be given to hundreds of thousands of people, having already passed safety tests in the initial phase. Some of the candidates are also very similar to other vaccines already developed and tested for other viruses.

I wouldn't think a fair section of the population will need it anyway, i read somewhere that nobody in hospital the uk died of covid last week under 60 with no underlying health problems.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2020 17:49]

If you want fewer people over 60 to die of it, you need the much vaunted herd immunity. Which means at least 80%(if not more) of the population too be covered.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Covid Vaccine on 15:31 - Oct 19 with 748 viewsjonbull88

Unpopular opinion there won’t be a working vaccine for coronavirus
Covid Vaccine on 15:39 - Oct 19 with 734 viewsMookamoo

Covid Vaccine on 15:31 - Oct 19 by jonbull88

Unpopular opinion there won’t be a working vaccine for coronavirus

Yes there will. It might not be 100% effective for a few years, but will protect a huge amount of the vulnerable.
Covid Vaccine on 16:31 - Oct 19 with 711 viewsjonbull88

Covid Vaccine on 15:39 - Oct 19 by Mookamoo

Yes there will. It might not be 100% effective for a few years, but will protect a huge amount of the vulnerable.

I will believe it when i see it work for millions of people and I and my friends and family can return to a normal life. Coronavirus has a close link to the common cold, something they’ve been trying to find a vaccine for for years!

I know of 3 people who think they’ve had the virus, yet know many more with other aliments that have gone unchecked due to hospitals cancelling everything earlier in the year.
Covid Vaccine on 16:36 - Oct 19 with 707 viewsStokieBlue

Covid Vaccine on 16:31 - Oct 19 by jonbull88

I will believe it when i see it work for millions of people and I and my friends and family can return to a normal life. Coronavirus has a close link to the common cold, something they’ve been trying to find a vaccine for for years!

I know of 3 people who think they’ve had the virus, yet know many more with other aliments that have gone unchecked due to hospitals cancelling everything earlier in the year.

The is a vast difference in scale in the resources being devoted to finding a vaccine for C19 compared to historical resources devoted to the common cold. The equivalence isn't really valid and it's particularly unhelpful to perpetuate it.

They were making good progress on a SARS vaccine until they stopped as it blew itself out and thus funding was stopped.

Your final paragraph is a totally different point and in no way related to a vaccine. It's a valid point for other discussions though.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Covid Vaccine on 16:58 - Oct 19 with 693 viewsjonbull88

Covid Vaccine on 16:36 - Oct 19 by StokieBlue

The is a vast difference in scale in the resources being devoted to finding a vaccine for C19 compared to historical resources devoted to the common cold. The equivalence isn't really valid and it's particularly unhelpful to perpetuate it.

They were making good progress on a SARS vaccine until they stopped as it blew itself out and thus funding was stopped.

Your final paragraph is a totally different point and in no way related to a vaccine. It's a valid point for other discussions though.

SB

The common cold was first identified about 70 years. There has been much money and many trials since to find a vaccine all ultimately failing. The huge current amount spent to find one for COVID whilst huge doesn’t mean they’ll find one that works. In 10 years time, will countries still be pouring billions in if nothing comes by then? I doubt it.

My last paragraph was to put a bit of perspective on the whole job. In this short space of time I have know many more people get ill, some serious due to having appointments cancelled, yet I know of so few who have “claimed” to have had the virus. When do we stop being scared about it and get on with life. Part of me thinks the money thrown around to prop up the economy might have been better spent putting up more nightingale hospitals and transferring patients with the virus there thus allowing major hospitals to concentrate on regular day to day jobs.
Login to get fewer ads

Covid Vaccine on 17:06 - Oct 19 with 687 viewsEwan_Oozami

Covid Vaccine on 10:15 - Oct 19 by Ryorry

I heard a World Service docu about a week ago on global health issues, which highlighted a research group somewhere (can't recall where, sorry) that had run a study & found that mask-wearing had a kind of vaccination effect over a lengthy period of time - a molecule here and there leaking out from infected people wearing masks, effectively built up antibodies in the "recipients" without them actually catching Covid.

Was suggested this could be used as an incentive to encourage mask-wearing.

I think that was in reference to Japan and their low death rate maybe?

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Covid Vaccine on 18:33 - Oct 19 with 659 viewsHerbivore

Covid Vaccine on 16:58 - Oct 19 by jonbull88

The common cold was first identified about 70 years. There has been much money and many trials since to find a vaccine all ultimately failing. The huge current amount spent to find one for COVID whilst huge doesn’t mean they’ll find one that works. In 10 years time, will countries still be pouring billions in if nothing comes by then? I doubt it.

My last paragraph was to put a bit of perspective on the whole job. In this short space of time I have know many more people get ill, some serious due to having appointments cancelled, yet I know of so few who have “claimed” to have had the virus. When do we stop being scared about it and get on with life. Part of me thinks the money thrown around to prop up the economy might have been better spent putting up more nightingale hospitals and transferring patients with the virus there thus allowing major hospitals to concentrate on regular day to day jobs.

Where would you get the staff for these field hospitals where you're sending tens of thousands of vulnerable people to die?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Covid Vaccine on 19:08 - Oct 19 with 642 viewsflimflam

Covid Vaccine on 16:36 - Oct 19 by StokieBlue

SB

Vaccines are safe part 1

https://inews.co.uk/news/health/narcolepsy-swine-flu-vaccine-government-loses-ap
[Post edited 19 Oct 2020 19:09]

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Covid Vaccine on 21:19 - Oct 19 with 601 viewsRyorry

Covid Vaccine on 17:06 - Oct 19 by Ewan_Oozami

I think that was in reference to Japan and their low death rate maybe?

No, it was completely different, a specific study. I'm linking episodes in the order of most likely first, as kind of bookmarks - haven't got time to listen again right now, but will do so in due course. Amazed there hasn't been more about it, or maybe the study turned out to be flawed (?)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3cszccd

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3cszccf
[Post edited 19 Oct 2020 21:27]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Covid Vaccine on 10:38 - Oct 20 with 532 viewsjeera

Covid Vaccine on 16:58 - Oct 19 by jonbull88

Is there such thing as a common cold?

I thought that just refers to a set of symptoms that are a reaction to any one of many rhinoviruses. Similar perhaps but all with their own subtle identities?

It cannot be possible to create a vaccine for the common cold per se, any more than it is to make one for the flu. The flu vaccine is an educated guess on a strain each year based on the data available etc isn't it.

I thought that was the point.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024