Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
History does not repeat, but it rhymes ... 19:32 - Oct 18 with 2017 viewsEl_Fenix

An interesting description and analysis of the decline of ITFC between1981 and 1986.

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2019/07/08/they-sold-a-team-and-built-a-stand-how-

ITFC shall rise like a phoenix from the ashes of its long decline!

History does not repeat, but it rhymes ... on 21:07 - Oct 18 with 1884 viewsBent_double

Thanks for that, even if it was a depressing read!

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

History does not repeat, but it rhymes ... on 21:58 - Oct 18 with 1833 viewshoppy

I've only just seen this post, and read the linked article. It mentions the 2 games I posted about earlier on another thread. It says the Oxford one was worse than the Everton one, but when you go 3-1 up in the 90th minute at home, you expect to win, certainly not lose 4-3, I'd say that was worse, myself.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

History does not repeat, but it rhymes ... on 22:14 - Oct 18 with 1798 viewsPJH

History does not repeat, but it rhymes ... on 21:58 - Oct 18 by hoppy

I've only just seen this post, and read the linked article. It mentions the 2 games I posted about earlier on another thread. It says the Oxford one was worse than the Everton one, but when you go 3-1 up in the 90th minute at home, you expect to win, certainly not lose 4-3, I'd say that was worse, myself.

I don't particularly remember that Everton game but it seems your memory of it is not 100% because it was the 72nd minute when Butch scored and that made it 3-3, we had been 2-0 ahead but never 3-1. Everton got the winner in the 78th minute-as per Rob Hadgraft's Ipswich Town-The Modern Era.

Crowd for that Everton game was 13910.
History does not repeat, but it rhymes ... (n/t) on 22:36 - Oct 18 with 1759 views66notout

History does not repeat, but it rhymes ... on 22:37 - Oct 18 with 1758 views66notout

And in other news the Titanic has sunk
History does not repeat, but it rhymes ... on 22:52 - Oct 18 with 1730 viewshoppy

History does not repeat, but it rhymes ... on 22:14 - Oct 18 by PJH

I don't particularly remember that Everton game but it seems your memory of it is not 100% because it was the 72nd minute when Butch scored and that made it 3-3, we had been 2-0 ahead but never 3-1. Everton got the winner in the 78th minute-as per Rob Hadgraft's Ipswich Town-The Modern Era.

You sir, are correct. Apologies for misinformation.

History does not repeat, but it rhymes ... on 23:37 - Oct 18 with 1677 viewsfactual_blue

History does not repeat, but it rhymes ... on 22:37 - Oct 18 by 66notout

And in other news the Titanic has sunk

That was just a film though.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

History does not repeat, but it rhymes ... on 23:40 - Oct 18 with 1674 viewspatrickswell

History does not repeat, but it rhymes ... on 22:14 - Oct 18 by PJH

Just further to this, in his first memoir, Both Sides of the Border, Butcher talks about that Everton game and recalled that at 3-3, Town had a goal disallowed and from the resulting free kick, Everton went up the other end and got what turned out to be the decisive penalty.
Login to get fewer ads

History does not repeat, but it rhymes ... on 00:05 - Oct 19 with 1661 viewsSuffolktractor

History does not repeat, but it rhymes ... on 23:40 - Oct 18 by patrickswell

Just further to this, in his first memoir, Both Sides of the Border, Butcher talks about that Everton game and recalled that at 3-3, Town had a goal disallowed and from the resulting free kick, Everton went up the other end and got what turned out to be the decisive penalty.

I was at Hillsborough for the 1-0 defeat that ultimately led to our relegation. I remember Butcher walking off in tears that day.
To me that day, it just seemed to be the end of our glorious reign.
We got so p**sed after that game!!
History does not repeat, but it rhymes ... on 08:45 - Oct 19 with 1458 viewsMonkeyAlan

History does not repeat, but it rhymes ... on 00:05 - Oct 19 by Suffolktractor

I was at Hillsborough for the 1-0 defeat that ultimately led to our relegation. I remember Butcher walking off in tears that day.
To me that day, it just seemed to be the end of our glorious reign.
We got so p**sed after that game!!

In a lot of ways it was the end of our reign. Yes we have flirted with the top flight since, but only really had one great season when we got into the UEFA Cup under Burley.
History does not repeat, but it rhymes ... on 23:59 - Oct 19 with 1332 viewsSamWhiteUK

History does not repeat, but it rhymes ... on 22:52 - Oct 18 by hoppy

You sir, are correct. Apologies for misinformation.

You were miles off mate!
History does not repeat, but it rhymes ... on 00:05 - Oct 20 with 1330 viewsSamWhiteUK

"But soon clubs had to wake up to the fact that spending money that they didn’t have was not a sound business plan"

Yeah, about that... just how soon are we talking?
History does not repeat, but it rhymes ... on 08:16 - Oct 20 with 1227 viewssolemio

History does not repeat, but it rhymes ... on 23:59 - Oct 19 by SamWhiteUK

You were miles off mate!

Do you know, I strongly suspect he realises that.
History does not repeat, but it rhymes ... on 08:41 - Oct 20 with 1205 viewsCoastalblue

Another older but interesting article on there about Mariner, one of my big heroes as a lad.

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2017/03/16/nobody-goes-down-the-park-to-be-paul-ma

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

History does not repeat, but it rhymes ... on 14:34 - Oct 20 with 1162 viewsSamWhiteUK

History does not repeat, but it rhymes ... on 08:16 - Oct 20 by solemio

Do you know, I strongly suspect he realises that.

Sorry, thought this was a forum where users could chat to one another
History does not repeat, but it rhymes ... on 15:23 - Oct 20 with 1146 viewsEl_Fenix

History does not repeat, but it rhymes ... on 08:41 - Oct 20 by Coastalblue

Another older but interesting article on there about Mariner, one of my big heroes as a lad.

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2017/03/16/nobody-goes-down-the-park-to-be-paul-ma

A fascinating article, thank you for posting it.

ITFC shall rise like a phoenix from the ashes of its long decline!

History does not repeat, but it rhymes ... on 18:46 - Oct 20 with 1097 viewshoppy

History does not repeat, but it rhymes ... on 23:59 - Oct 19 by SamWhiteUK

You were miles off mate!

Yes, I realise that, but in my defence, as I was a bit cloudy in my memory, I had looked it up, and was served this up, which I assumed must’ve been the case so didn’t cross check it elsewhere...

https://www.worldfootball.net/report/premier-league-1985-1986-ipswich-town-evert

History does not repeat, but it rhymes ... on 18:54 - Oct 20 with 1089 viewsPJH

History does not repeat, but it rhymes ... on 18:46 - Oct 20 by hoppy

Yes, I realise that, but in my defence, as I was a bit cloudy in my memory, I had looked it up, and was served this up, which I assumed must’ve been the case so didn’t cross check it elsewhere...

https://www.worldfootball.net/report/premier-league-1985-1986-ipswich-town-evert

I suppose that is just saying that three goals scored in the first half and four in the second, which is correct. What is not correct (apparently) is the order that the goals were scored.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024