Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The website Quora. 01:54 - Oct 20 with 1175 viewsMercian

I had an exchange on Quora when I answered a question on whether I would vote for Trump or Biden. The man answered that if anyone voted for Biden then we were pedophile (US Spelling) enablers. When I asked if he called me a pedophile he answered "No. Somewhat less moral than the average pedophile. Being a pedophile would be a slight improvement over your current level of degeneracy. But you are probably OK with harming children if you vote for Democrats. IMHO."
I reported this and they came back saying that his reply was perfectly acceptable and I should not waste their time with frivolous complaints.
What the actual f%%k!
[Post edited 20 Oct 2020 1:55]
The website Quora. on 01:58 - Oct 20 with 1151 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Moral of the story: stick to TWTD!
The website Quora. on 08:33 - Oct 20 with 960 viewsGuthrum

One of the difficulties nowadays is telling whether you are conversing with a Russian/Chinese bot, a US/British troll or a genuine idiot. The site owners don't care as long as the traffic keeps flowing.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The website Quora. on 11:40 - Oct 20 with 858 viewsmonytowbray

The website Quora. on 08:33 - Oct 20 by Guthrum

One of the difficulties nowadays is telling whether you are conversing with a Russian/Chinese bot, a US/British troll or a genuine idiot. The site owners don't care as long as the traffic keeps flowing.

Emotional misinformation equals engagement.

Hate to be a bit ageist, but I swear all this stuff blossomed when the older generation got on social media. We didn’t have these issues when we were just kids customising our Myspace pages with basic HTML.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

The website Quora. on 12:03 - Oct 20 with 821 viewsjeera

The website Quora. on 11:40 - Oct 20 by monytowbray

Emotional misinformation equals engagement.

Hate to be a bit ageist, but I swear all this stuff blossomed when the older generation got on social media. We didn’t have these issues when we were just kids customising our Myspace pages with basic HTML.

Really? It seems to be quite fashionable with some children to call people paedos for 'fun'.

I was out walking my dogs once when a group of kids on their lunch from school thought it was funny to shout out 'paedo' to any older male passing by.

I reported the little sh1ts to both their school and the police.

Not having that.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

The website Quora. on 12:06 - Oct 20 with 807 viewsjeera

I reported several sites on FB for similar stuff, although not aimed at me, it was made-up stuff in general, mostly racism but other things too.

Each time FB responded by saying there was nothing that breached their rules.

Yet when I called a few of those same people ****s, FB banned me from posting!
[Post edited 20 Oct 2020 12:06]

The website Quora. on 12:11 - Oct 20 with 792 viewsWeWereZombies

The website Quora. on 12:06 - Oct 20 by jeera

I reported several sites on FB for similar stuff, although not aimed at me, it was made-up stuff in general, mostly racism but other things too.

Each time FB responded by saying there was nothing that breached their rules.

Yet when I called a few of those same people ****s, FB banned me from posting!
[Post edited 20 Oct 2020 12:06]

If it is any comfort, jeera, you are not alone:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Facebook

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

The website Quora. on 12:18 - Oct 20 with 770 viewsmonytowbray

The website Quora. on 12:03 - Oct 20 by jeera

Really? It seems to be quite fashionable with some children to call people paedos for 'fun'.

I was out walking my dogs once when a group of kids on their lunch from school thought it was funny to shout out 'paedo' to any older male passing by.

I reported the little sh1ts to both their school and the police.

Not having that.

That's always been a thing well before social media.

Kids shouting an edgy insult isn't quite the same as a massive alt right pysops campaign to change the political landscape into a divisive culture war based on emotional responses.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2020 12:18]

TWTD never forgets…

The website Quora. on 12:33 - Oct 20 with 738 viewsjeera

The website Quora. on 12:18 - Oct 20 by monytowbray

That's always been a thing well before social media.

Kids shouting an edgy insult isn't quite the same as a massive alt right pysops campaign to change the political landscape into a divisive culture war based on emotional responses.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2020 12:18]

Edgy? If they were old enough I'd have smacked them with a pick-axe handle.

Who the feck brings up kids to think that's acceptable?

The OP did say he was also personally insulted along with the nonsense about Democrats.

Quora are bang out of order on both counts regardless. Platforms that allow this sort of sickening misinformation should be reigned in yet no one seems to regulate them.

Reading an article the other day about media misinformation in this country and how the so-called regulators have no power. There was a thread on it on here I'm sure. What's the point of them?
[Post edited 20 Oct 2020 12:33]

Login to get fewer ads

The website Quora. on 13:10 - Oct 20 with 678 viewsmonytowbray

The website Quora. on 12:33 - Oct 20 by jeera

Edgy? If they were old enough I'd have smacked them with a pick-axe handle.

Who the feck brings up kids to think that's acceptable?

The OP did say he was also personally insulted along with the nonsense about Democrats.

Quora are bang out of order on both counts regardless. Platforms that allow this sort of sickening misinformation should be reigned in yet no one seems to regulate them.

Reading an article the other day about media misinformation in this country and how the so-called regulators have no power. There was a thread on it on here I'm sure. What's the point of them?
[Post edited 20 Oct 2020 12:33]

I don't see how you've linked some kids shouting "OI PAEDO" at strangers to mass misinformation campaigns that push conspiracy theories aimed at older folks was the angle I was coming from.

Case in point: https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/age-not-politics-predicts-who-shares-fake

I think we're debating different things, but I would like to clarify shouting PAEDO at people isn't acceptable in any case. Unless they are literally a paedo of course.

Your last point you are correct. The short version is technology has evolved faster than our ability to understand what it will do to society and even ourselves. A few on here recommended it already but The Social Dilemma does a very good job of explaining many aspects of it. The Great Hack is also a good watch if you want to understand who is pushing this information and why.

Until we can openly and honestly get to the bottom of the Cambridge Analytica scandal with all the gory details it's going to get worse I'm afraid. Small positive however, it does seem in times like now with a crisis going on people aren't interested in the divisive lies for the most part and are breaking out of the chains. Trump can't gaslight a virus, no matter how much he spends on FB propaganda.

But for me it's now a race against time, will humanity win or the algorithms completely in the control of the super rich? 1% vs the 99% and all that.

My personal fun theory is history will look back on this period as the first war period mostly fought with only psychological weapons. What better way to destroy the enemy than plant seeds and allow them to tear themselves apart!?

TWTD never forgets…

The website Quora. on 13:28 - Oct 20 with 658 viewsDarth_Koont

The website Quora. on 13:10 - Oct 20 by monytowbray

I don't see how you've linked some kids shouting "OI PAEDO" at strangers to mass misinformation campaigns that push conspiracy theories aimed at older folks was the angle I was coming from.

Case in point: https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/age-not-politics-predicts-who-shares-fake

I think we're debating different things, but I would like to clarify shouting PAEDO at people isn't acceptable in any case. Unless they are literally a paedo of course.

Your last point you are correct. The short version is technology has evolved faster than our ability to understand what it will do to society and even ourselves. A few on here recommended it already but The Social Dilemma does a very good job of explaining many aspects of it. The Great Hack is also a good watch if you want to understand who is pushing this information and why.

Until we can openly and honestly get to the bottom of the Cambridge Analytica scandal with all the gory details it's going to get worse I'm afraid. Small positive however, it does seem in times like now with a crisis going on people aren't interested in the divisive lies for the most part and are breaking out of the chains. Trump can't gaslight a virus, no matter how much he spends on FB propaganda.

But for me it's now a race against time, will humanity win or the algorithms completely in the control of the super rich? 1% vs the 99% and all that.

My personal fun theory is history will look back on this period as the first war period mostly fought with only psychological weapons. What better way to destroy the enemy than plant seeds and allow them to tear themselves apart!?

Thanks for that. The linked research was pretty interesting and shocking to see the statements where so many people couldn’t distinguish between fact and opinion.

That inability/disability seems to be reflected by the sizeable percentage of people who regularly see opinion and fact as interchangeable and thus equally valid. We’ve seen that borne out on here and in social media time and time again.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/10/23/younger-americans-are-better-th

Pronouns: He/Him

The website Quora. on 13:31 - Oct 20 with 652 viewsmonytowbray

The website Quora. on 13:28 - Oct 20 by Darth_Koont

Thanks for that. The linked research was pretty interesting and shocking to see the statements where so many people couldn’t distinguish between fact and opinion.

That inability/disability seems to be reflected by the sizeable percentage of people who regularly see opinion and fact as interchangeable and thus equally valid. We’ve seen that borne out on here and in social media time and time again.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/10/23/younger-americans-are-better-th

The kids are alright though, they have their own problems (worse than my generation for sure and I'm only a millennial) but they ain't dumb.

TWTD never forgets…

The website Quora. on 13:50 - Oct 20 with 633 viewsDarth_Koont

The website Quora. on 13:31 - Oct 20 by monytowbray

The kids are alright though, they have their own problems (worse than my generation for sure and I'm only a millennial) but they ain't dumb.

Indeed. They also seem to steer clear of Facebook and increasingly Twitter as a result.

Pronouns: He/Him

The website Quora. on 14:02 - Oct 20 with 623 viewsmonytowbray

The website Quora. on 13:50 - Oct 20 by Darth_Koont

Indeed. They also seem to steer clear of Facebook and increasingly Twitter as a result.

My daughter is literally Snapchat and TikTok.

TWTD never forgets…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024