Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Plant Based/Vegan Megathread 15:37 - Oct 20 with 2213 viewsJ2BLUE

After the success of the election megathread I thought it might be a good idea to have one for this topic if there is enough interest. That way people with no interest can hide the thread.

There seems to be more and more vegan options on a daily basis. The Wall's vegan sausage roll is absolutely amazing.

Two questions for the vegans of the board:

1) What is 'turkee' in the Costa vegan sandwich?

2) What is the best chicken replacement for meals like stews/curries etc? I've tried Quorn pieces but there must be better out there?

Cheers

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I can help..... on 15:46 - Oct 20 with 1434 viewsBloots

1. Bread
2. Turkey

(hides thread)

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Plant Based/Vegan Megathread on 15:51 - Oct 20 with 1422 viewsStokieBlue

I don't cook much vegan food but do cook vegetarian (possibly makes me a pariah for the thread) but can you explain why you want to replace chicken with something which attempts to be "similar" like Quorn?

For instance, cauliflower is superb is curries. Surprisingly potatoes are good in curry as well and are common in Malaysia. Stews are more complicated, it depends if you want the texture of the meat or just something to take on the flavour of the stew.

Certainly agree there are plenty of options out there now for people who want to eat less meat.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Plant Based/Vegan Megathread on 15:51 - Oct 20 with 1422 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

No idea on either but I’ll add a question of my own

Lentil or chickpea high protein recipe ideas that aren’t some form of curried/tomato/chilli based stew or soup? Been trying to incorporate these a couple of times a week as a change up from chicken, mainly out of boredom but already getting the same problem with these!

Ta x

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Plant Based/Vegan Megathread on 15:55 - Oct 20 with 1412 viewsStokieBlue

Plant Based/Vegan Megathread on 15:51 - Oct 20 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Lentil or chickpea high protein recipe ideas that aren’t some form of curried/tomato/chilli based stew or soup? Been trying to incorporate these a couple of times a week as a change up from chicken, mainly out of boredom but already getting the same problem with these!

Ta x

Lentils tend to be a bit dull unless you make them no longer vegan (chicken stock, butter) so you can make them a bit more interesting by stirring in something like a mojo verde or romesco and then using them as the "carbs" and combining them with your "meat" which could be a cauliflower steak or something.

I can't help with cooking them as the main ingredient in a stew though.

SB

Plant Based/Vegan Megathread on 15:57 - Oct 20 with 1399 viewsDubtractor

Plant Based/Vegan Megathread on 15:51 - Oct 20 by StokieBlue

I don't cook much vegan food but do cook vegetarian (possibly makes me a pariah for the thread) but can you explain why you want to replace chicken with something which attempts to be "similar" like Quorn?

For instance, cauliflower is superb is curries. Surprisingly potatoes are good in curry as well and are common in Malaysia. Stews are more complicated, it depends if you want the texture of the meat or just something to take on the flavour of the stew.

Certainly agree there are plenty of options out there now for people who want to eat less meat.

SB

Squash goes really well in curries too.

Squash, potato and cauliflower in a curry would be MILES better than any meat substitute.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Plant Based/Vegan Megathread on 15:59 - Oct 20 with 1395 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Plant Based/Vegan Megathread on 15:55 - Oct 20 by StokieBlue

Lentils tend to be a bit dull unless you make them no longer vegan (chicken stock, butter) so you can make them a bit more interesting by stirring in something like a mojo verde or romesco and then using them as the "carbs" and combining them with your "meat" which could be a cauliflower steak or something.

I can't help with cooking them as the main ingredient in a stew though.

SB

Actually that sounds pretty good so ta. Wasn’t specifically looking for vegan just a different protein source - should have made that clear (and probably the wrong thread but in a similar ballpark!)

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Plant Based/Vegan Megathread on 16:13 - Oct 20 with 1368 viewseastangliaisblue

Plant Based/Vegan Megathread on 15:57 - Oct 20 by Dubtractor

Squash goes really well in curries too.

Squash, potato and cauliflower in a curry would be MILES better than any meat substitute.

I cook a mean potato and cauliflower curry and throw in a few frozen peas just before serving. I serve a soft boiled egg on top, bl00dy delicious.
Plant Based/Vegan Megathread on 16:17 - Oct 20 with 1359 viewsStokieBlue

Plant Based/Vegan Megathread on 16:13 - Oct 20 by eastangliaisblue

I cook a mean potato and cauliflower curry and throw in a few frozen peas just before serving. I serve a soft boiled egg on top, bl00dy delicious.

In a Malaysian potato curry they will put the egg into the curry and let it absorb the flavours for 30+ minutes (obviously it's hard boiled then).

SB

Login to get fewer ads

Plant Based/Vegan Megathread on 16:20 - Oct 20 with 1355 viewsJ2BLUE

SB

Deliberately went with plant based first to encourage vegetarians/anyone wanting to eat less meat to post.

I don't need a similar product. I just want one. I use lentils, chickpeas and beans in many dishes. Sometimes it's just nice to have something different. I'd like to find a decent chicken/turkey alternative for sandwiches. Quite happy to eat vegan meals with real food but I find the addition of things like Quorn/Green Cuisine etc products to be really good.

Truly impaired.

Plant Based/Vegan Megathread on 16:22 - Oct 20 with 1344 viewseireblue

1. Soya and wheat based, according to t’internet.

2. Depends. Some Sri Lankan curry recipient are soya meat based. I do like to try some replacement products now and again. The This brand has some nice stuff, and tried this recently and quite liked it https://veganfooduk.co.uk/pin/alt-tender-chickenless-pieces/.

Depending on the product, for curries and stews sometimes air fry the protein and plonk it into the saucy bit, so I don’t cook the stuff in the sauce.

For Thai dishes still like plain old tofu, dusted with something, then air fried, then put in the curry.
Plant Based/Vegan Megathread on 16:31 - Oct 20 with 1328 viewsmonytowbray

Imaging myself starting this thread 3 years ago.

What a time to be alive.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Plant Based/Vegan Megathread on 16:38 - Oct 20 with 1318 viewsHerbivore

Plant Based/Vegan Megathread on 15:51 - Oct 20 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Ta x

Roasted chickpea wraps are delicious. Drain a can of chickpeas, put them in a bowl with a glug of oil and a good whack of smoked paprika, chilli powder, and cumin and give it a mix. Transfer them to a tin and roast them in the oven for about 40 minutes and serve in wraps with avocado salsa and salad (or other accompaniments you might fancy, sweetcorn goes nicely). The chickpeas work well on salads as well if you don't want the carbs from wraps.

Chickpea burgers are also really easy to make. Just thoroughly drain a can of chickpeas and blitz it up with some spices of your choice and form into patties that you can then griddle or oven bake.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2020 16:41]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Plant Based/Vegan Megathread on 16:42 - Oct 20 with 1306 viewsJ2BLUE

Plant Based/Vegan Megathread on 16:22 - Oct 20 by eireblue

2. Depends. Some Sri Lankan curry recipient are soya meat based. I do like to try some replacement products now and again. The This brand has some nice stuff, and tried this recently and quite liked it https://veganfooduk.co.uk/pin/alt-tender-chickenless-pieces/.

Depending on the product, for curries and stews sometimes air fry the protein and plonk it into the saucy bit, so I don’t cook the stuff in the sauce.

For Thai dishes still like plain old tofu, dusted with something, then air fried, then put in the curry.

Thanks mate. There's some amazing looking things on that site!

Truly impaired.

Plant Based/Vegan Megathread on 16:45 - Oct 20 with 1290 viewsNewcyBlue

I bought some quorn fillets the other day to try, quorn mince too.

I’ll give it a whirl, but it seems that slow cooking the fillets can alter the texture a bit, which is apparently not nice. Reading what I did, you’re supposed to add the quorn fillets in for the last bit of cooking time. I have a couple of recipes I want to try with them.

I made a really good vegan biryani the other day.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Plant Based/Vegan Megathread on 16:46 - Oct 20 with 1282 viewsNewcyBlue

Plant Based/Vegan Megathread on 16:31 - Oct 20 by monytowbray

Imaging myself starting this thread 3 years ago.

What a time to be alive.

You’d have gotten a positive response from me. I love food!

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Plant Based/Vegan Megathread on 18:15 - Oct 20 with 1245 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

SB

Here at uni for years people have thought I’m off me tits when I cook my Jalfrezi curry for them and it had potatoes in. To me, a chicken curry goes to a whole new level with some chopped up potatoes in there too. Marinated in the curry sauce too for a few minutes before serving. Beautiful.

I would imagine for vegans, a vegetable curry with potatoes added would also be very nice even without the meat in.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Plant Based/Vegan Megathread on 18:18 - Oct 20 with 1239 viewsSwansea_Blue

I don't know why people look for manufactured meat substitutes. Surely the meat replacement can be veggies? The closer to their natural form the better?

Although I'm going to answer my own question now and say I can see why cheese substitutes are becoming a thing. So maybe some people feel as attached to meat as I do to cheese.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Plant Based/Vegan Megathread on 19:19 - Oct 20 with 1218 viewsjeera

As for curries mate, there is such a wide range of options for veggie Indian I'd suggest that's one area of food that doesn't require any meat substitute.

Unless that's what you specifically want of course, in which case I'll shut up.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Plant Based/Vegan Megathread on 19:27 - Oct 20 with 1201 viewsjeera

Plant Based/Vegan Megathread on 16:22 - Oct 20 by eireblue

Soya cubes would be one option for a 'wet' curry, sure.

Maybe quorn mince for a keema style, dryer dish.

Paneer cubes are great but I don't know if there's any substitute that can be used instead of milk for those.

Plant Based/Vegan Megathread on 19:32 - Oct 20 with 1189 viewsJ2BLUE

Plant Based/Vegan Megathread on 18:18 - Oct 20 by Swansea_Blue

I don't know why people look for manufactured meat substitutes. Surely the meat replacement can be veggies? The closer to their natural form the better?

Although I'm going to answer my own question now and say I can see why cheese substitutes are becoming a thing. So maybe some people feel as attached to meat as I do to cheese.

Ethical vegans is the obvious answer.

Truly impaired.

Plant Based/Vegan Megathread on 19:34 - Oct 20 with 1184 viewsJ2BLUE

Plant Based/Vegan Megathread on 19:19 - Oct 20 by jeera

As for curries mate, there is such a wide range of options for veggie Indian I'd suggest that's one area of food that doesn't require any meat substitute.

Unless that's what you specifically want of course, in which case I'll shut up.

Please don't shut up but yes that what I specifically want.

I frequently use lentils, chickpeas, beans etc in making meals. I am specifically looking for the best vegan chicken alternative.

I am happy to eat quality free range meat once in a while as well.

I won't be living on oven chips and meat substitute every night. Just something to rotate in occasionally for a bit of variety. I have a cupboard full of chickpeas, various beans and lentils at the moment which are frequently used as part of a meal with no meat substitute in sight!

Truly impaired.

Plant Based/Vegan Megathread on 19:36 - Oct 20 with 1179 viewseireblue

Plant Based/Vegan Megathread on 18:18 - Oct 20 by Swansea_Blue

Mixed marriages. Whereby one partner needs to have something chewy or cheesy.
If you are doing some form of eating and training plan to get legs and belly back in shape to cycle up Alps. Easier to do high protein low carb with some replacements.
Plant Based/Vegan Megathread on 19:40 - Oct 20 with 1160 viewsjeera

Plant Based/Vegan Megathread on 19:34 - Oct 20 by J2BLUE

Please don't shut up but yes that what I specifically want.

I frequently use lentils, chickpeas, beans etc in making meals. I am specifically looking for the best vegan chicken alternative.

I am happy to eat quality free range meat once in a while as well.

I won't be living on oven chips and meat substitute every night. Just something to rotate in occasionally for a bit of variety. I have a cupboard full of chickpeas, various beans and lentils at the moment which are frequently used as part of a meal with no meat substitute in sight!

I like lentils and stocked up today as it goes, but not everything non meat has to involve lentils.

I love a vegetable curry from time to time, or cauliflower in coconut milk with red chilis.

Peas, mushroom and paneer is another favourite.

A bit of rice and a chapatti or 2 and you're well away.

Indian style mash potato can be fun as a street food snack thing with paratha if you can bothered.

Indian has such a range as I say. If you bear in mind that much of the population cannot afford meat, then you can appreciate where the imagination to make vegetables so interesting has come from.

Plant Based/Vegan Megathread on 19:42 - Oct 20 with 1154 viewsJ2BLUE

Plant Based/Vegan Megathread on 19:40 - Oct 20 by jeera

I like lentils and stocked up today as it goes, but not everything non meat has to involve lentils.

I love a vegetable curry from time to time, or cauliflower in coconut milk with red chilis.

Peas, mushroom and paneer is another favourite.

A bit of rice and a chapatti or 2 and you're well away.

Indian style mash potato can be fun as a street food snack thing with paratha if you can bothered.

Indian has such a range as I say. If you bear in mind that much of the population cannot afford meat, then you can appreciate where the imagination to make vegetables so interesting has come from.

I like vegetable curries. I might cook a naan bread, split it like a pitta and fill it with vegetable curry.

Truly impaired.

Plant Based/Vegan Megathread on 19:43 - Oct 20 with 1150 viewsjeera

Plant Based/Vegan Megathread on 19:42 - Oct 20 by J2BLUE

I like vegetable curries. I might cook a naan bread, split it like a pitta and fill it with vegetable curry.

I mentioned this a post or 3 back:

"Soya cubes would be one option for a 'wet' curry, sure.

Maybe quorn mince for a keema style, dryer dish."

'Keema' might not be a bad shout for a change.

Edit: naan is really hard to get right in a conventional oven. You might be better off using a chapati as a wrap, works a treat and is more authentic any day anyway!

Defeating that, nothing wrong with using a pitta or 2 if you don't want to make them yourself. Tortilla wraps also work fine as a substitute.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2020 19:46]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024