Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How Vietnam is handling COVID 02:13 - Oct 21 with 647 viewsNewcyBlue

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/oct/20/vietnam-covid-economic-gro

This is remarkable. We could learn a lot.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

How Vietnam is handling COVID on 09:59 - Oct 21 with 522 viewsurbanblue

Interesting read and confirms that countries that dealt with the first SARS knew exactly what to do.

Sorry ... Fat thumb. Downvoted in error
How Vietnam is handling COVID on 10:12 - Oct 21 with 511 viewsDyland

"The central reason is perhaps the way the government has depoliticised the pandemic, treating it purely as a health crisis, allowing for effective governance."

Badabing. Also helped by a different culture and mindset and history, of course. The UK is soft and spoiled, and this is not altogether bad per se cos it's a symptom of social progression (partly) but man is it making it hard for us at the moment.

The UK government are a shambolic disgrace. An actual affront to democratic politics. And an insult to Conservatism and many Tories.

I get wound up by the cronyism and self serving banana republic style manouvering, and ridiculous misdirection of spending and lack of medical staff to manage capacity, but this is not new. What is new is the utter shamelessness of it all, across the board, over and over. What is absolutely beyond my comprehension is how incompetent they are. As someone remarked on another thread, if it's never your fault why are you in your job at all? Where is the humility and the humanity? What happened to people holding their hands up and admitting they aren't up to it? It's making me more and more and more angry. Something will give, and I'm becoming concerned about my mental state. I've tried to disengage but I can't.

ggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

How Vietnam is handling COVID on 10:17 - Oct 21 with 504 viewsWeWereZombies

Very interesting and a useful comparison to the end of this snippet on the BBC website:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54617148

Also useful to note that Japan, which I expected to be Covid hell back in March, has also coped very well so far. Both Japan and Vietnam have very low testing percentages per capita and seem to rely on prompt action when a case is discovered instead.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

How Vietnam is handling COVID on 10:22 - Oct 21 with 497 viewsBluedandy

How Vietnam is handling COVID on 09:59 - Oct 21 by urbanblue

Interesting read and confirms that countries that dealt with the first SARS knew exactly what to do.

Sorry ... Fat thumb. Downvoted in error

What? If China's communist regime had known exactly what to do because of the first SARS then its bungling authoritarian incompetence in the early stages of Covid-19 would not have unleashed a global pandemic.

When Beijing finally got its act together it was too late for the international community.

Notwithstanding the achievements of Vietnam's dictatorship in fighting Covid-19 it's easy to see why you won't hear people ever voice their opposition to government policy.

As of late last year according to Human Rights Watch in Vietnam "more than 130 political prisoners are currently locked up simply for exercising their basic rights ...''

It goes on ''activists face long stints of pre-trial detention, without access to lawyers or family in a one-party police state that tolerates no dissent.''
How Vietnam is handling COVID on 10:25 - Oct 21 with 489 viewsDyland

How Vietnam is handling COVID on 10:17 - Oct 21 by WeWereZombies

Very interesting and a useful comparison to the end of this snippet on the BBC website:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54617148

Also useful to note that Japan, which I expected to be Covid hell back in March, has also coped very well so far. Both Japan and Vietnam have very low testing percentages per capita and seem to rely on prompt action when a case is discovered instead.

"Both Japan and Vietnam have very low testing percentages per capita and seem to rely on prompt action when a case is discovered instead."

Aye. It does of course also rely on the public obeying and taking it seriously, or at least a very high percentage. We don't have that in this country, imo, or the percentage will be lower even if the vast majority comply. I have no evidence for this though, before Stokers asks ;)

None of this diminishes my point in post above about our government's handling of it all though. They are useless and totally incapable of speaking frankly.

How Vietnam is handling COVID on 10:26 - Oct 21 with 484 viewsDyland

How Vietnam is handling COVID on 10:22 - Oct 21 by Bluedandy

What? If China's communist regime had known exactly what to do because of the first SARS then its bungling authoritarian incompetence in the early stages of Covid-19 would not have unleashed a global pandemic.

When Beijing finally got its act together it was too late for the international community.

Notwithstanding the achievements of Vietnam's dictatorship in fighting Covid-19 it's easy to see why you won't hear people ever voice their opposition to government policy.

As of late last year according to Human Rights Watch in Vietnam "more than 130 political prisoners are currently locked up simply for exercising their basic rights ...''

It goes on ''activists face long stints of pre-trial detention, without access to lawyers or family in a one-party police state that tolerates no dissent.''

Up vote for bluntly stating this side of the argument.

I said it in a more wishy wash.. i mean nuanced... way ;)

How Vietnam is handling COVID on 12:26 - Oct 21 with 425 viewsjeera

Went into Sudbury yesterday and noted a few things:

The town centre was closed off to parking as a distancing measure. It's ridiculous. Instead of just ensuring every other bay can be used, they have shut off the lot. What does that achieve other than more inconvenience for everyone?

The things that don't need to be done are being enforced, and the basics that should be in place are completely overlooked.

I needed a wee so was forced to use the public loos. What a disgrace those are. You wouldn't choose to use those things pre-covid let alone at present. And why is there not someone there regularly spraying the doors etc with disinfectant?

I had to visit a few shops and not once did I see a single member of staff wiping down a thing.

Why are there not council workers walking the streets with backpack dispensers anywhere in sight?

I did a click & collect from Tesco and wondered how often the crates used are disinfected. No one was doing so that I could see. Several staff standing about but no obvious cleaning.

I used the recycling centre and no one there was disinfecting anything either, and the place was really busy.

Loads of taxis parked up with drivers standing about outside chatting but didn't spot one cleaning his car. Maybe the public would feel more confident using them if they could see the drivers taking their health seriously.

How often are buses disinfected? Bus stops, benches? Ever? A token spray here and there?

I keep saying this but we don't visibly appear to be doing much about the virus, at all.
[Post edited 21 Oct 2020 12:28]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024