Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Holy 09:19 - Oct 21 with 2066 viewsblueislander

After Saturday I made the comment that Holy’s distribution is very poor, and got shot down because otherwise he had a good game. Last night, even without the goal he gifted them, it was even worse. The contrast between their keeper who used the ball very well was stark. If we persist in playing short balls to Toto and Wilson we are going to get into trouble as neither of them are good on the ball. I guess it would help if he had a big man like Hawkins to aim at, but he just seems to massively overhit every time.
Holy on 22:25 - Oct 21 with 1986 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Holy on 22:57 - Oct 21 with 1963 viewsblueislander

Holy on 22:25 - Oct 21 by BryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

I would rather someone discussed my post than complimented me on my spelling
Holy on 23:42 - Oct 21 with 1928 viewsclive_baker

I'm surprised you got shot down given its been patently obvious since he joined that his kicking is absolutely garbage. I've lost count of the number of times he kicks directly in to touch when under the most mild of pressure. To be honest, having seen his 2 c0ck ups yesterday and one on Saturday that hit Dozzell, booting it into touch probably has to be regarded as a good result.

Holy seems to have developed some sort of cult following on here despite the fact he's looked distinctly average from the moment he joined.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Holy on 07:31 - Oct 22 with 1864 viewsChrisd

Holy on 23:42 - Oct 21 by clive_baker

I'm surprised you got shot down given its been patently obvious since he joined that his kicking is absolutely garbage. I've lost count of the number of times he kicks directly in to touch when under the most mild of pressure. To be honest, having seen his 2 c0ck ups yesterday and one on Saturday that hit Dozzell, booting it into touch probably has to be regarded as a good result.

Holy seems to have developed some sort of cult following on here despite the fact he's looked distinctly average from the moment he joined.

It's funny how goalkeeping has now become primarily about how good a goalkeeper is with their feet. Appreciate that is the modern way, but it's a facet that is hugely overrated by managers and coaches this day and age because of Pep's influence. Out of the two, Cornell looks the more comfortable with the ball at his feet, but I would then argue that when crosses start coming into the box and he remains rooted to his line then we can't complain because he can pass the ball out. Naturally, either keeper is going to have strengths that are superior, but we'd probably then lose out in another area of the goalkeeping armoury. If Holy does struggle, why put him in that position? I'd encourage him to throw the ball out at different ranges, which is more accurate, only pass to him when under no pressure or alternatively not consider him as an option at all. Although the length of his kicking is still an asset which could turn defence in to attack if used effectively. Lets be honest, there is a reason both Holy and Cornell are lower league keepers , so perhaps from a coaching point of view there should be recognition of addressing the areas of weakness and helping to solve these instead of insisting on playing on them in games, which then just further highlights the flaws.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2020 7:43]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Holy on 07:50 - Oct 22 with 1819 viewsHerbivore

He's a League 1 keeper, he's not going to be able to do everything or he'd be playing at a higher level by now. His kicking is poor and if Lambert wanted us to play out from the back you do have to wonder why he signed him in the first place as it's pretty clear his distribution isn't suited to playing that way.

I don't know why you think he has a cult following though, I've not seen loads of glowing praise for him. You used this line a lot last season too. A lot of people preferred him to Norris, but that wasn't on the basis of Holy being the next Neuer, it was on the basis that he wasn't giving away a goal in most games through his mistakes whilst not even being our own player. I know you were one of the few that preferred Norris but that doesn't make those who disagreed with you some sort of cult. He was the better of the two keepers last season.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Holy on 08:02 - Oct 22 with 1806 viewsRadlett_blue

Holy on 07:50 - Oct 22 by Herbivore

He's a League 1 keeper, he's not going to be able to do everything or he'd be playing at a higher level by now. His kicking is poor and if Lambert wanted us to play out from the back you do have to wonder why he signed him in the first place as it's pretty clear his distribution isn't suited to playing that way.

I don't know why you think he has a cult following though, I've not seen loads of glowing praise for him. You used this line a lot last season too. A lot of people preferred him to Norris, but that wasn't on the basis of Holy being the next Neuer, it was on the basis that he wasn't giving away a goal in most games through his mistakes whilst not even being our own player. I know you were one of the few that preferred Norris but that doesn't make those who disagreed with you some sort of cult. He was the better of the two keepers last season.

The same applies to a good number of our players, who are also League 1 standard. Lots of moaning about the poor goals we conceded at Doncaster, but that's what happens at this level. The players aren't good enough to pass it around like Barcelona so a high percentage of goals come from errors.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Holy on 10:09 - Oct 22 with 1755 viewsclive_baker

Holy on 07:50 - Oct 22 by Herbivore

Not sure what 'he's a League 1 keeper' really means, all of our players are League 1 players at the moment. The difference is a number are perhaps top end L1 and even potentially Championship players, which I don't see in Holy at all. I would go as far as saying he's a poor keeper at this level, personally. I don't think he would get into many of the sides around us and he's looked every bit the guy that shipped 70 goals for Gillingham before he joined us.

You certainly have to question Lambert ultimately. 1) to sign him, and 2) the fact he's asking Holy to be Alisson, and he's not anywhere near good enough to be supporting that style of football. We either need to rethink our approach, or upgrade on Holy as he will continue to prove costly. It's not Holy's fault he's being asked to play this way, it's Lambert and his team should be recognising his limitations. I'm not sure what relevance Norris is, given he's not here any more. A number of people thought he was superior to Holy and I've never seen any evidence to the contrary. I would switch them today in a heartbeat, I presume from your post that you wouldn't. Not sure there's much else to it.

Holy on 10:13 - Oct 22 with 1746 viewsHerbivore

Holy on 10:09 - Oct 22 by clive_baker

Not sure what 'he's a League 1 keeper' really means, all of our players are League 1 players at the moment. The difference is a number are perhaps top end L1 and even potentially Championship players, which I don't see in Holy at all. I would go as far as saying he's a poor keeper at this level, personally. I don't think he would get into many of the sides around us and he's looked every bit the guy that shipped 70 goals for Gillingham before he joined us.

You certainly have to question Lambert ultimately. 1) to sign him, and 2) the fact he's asking Holy to be Alisson, and he's not anywhere near good enough to be supporting that style of football. We either need to rethink our approach, or upgrade on Holy as he will continue to prove costly. It's not Holy's fault he's being asked to play this way, it's Lambert and his team should be recognising his limitations. I'm not sure what relevance Norris is, given he's not here any more. A number of people thought he was superior to Holy and I've never seen any evidence to the contrary. I would switch them today in a heartbeat, I presume from your post that you wouldn't. Not sure there's much else to it.

I think that's harsh on Holy to say he's a poor player at this level. Gillingham would have happily kept him despite them shipping goals. He'd had interest from teams up the pyramid previously. I think he's a decent goalie at this level, his distribution is his biggest weakness and his decision making is questionable at times but he's a good shot stopper and generally commands his area well and comes off his line at the right times. I think he'd get into plenty of other sides at this level and yes, I'd select him over Norris every day of the week based on their respective performances here.

Login to get fewer ads

Holy on 10:21 - Oct 22 with 1733 viewsclive_baker

Holy on 10:13 - Oct 22 by Herbivore

I think that's harsh on Holy to say he's a poor player at this level. Gillingham would have happily kept him despite them shipping goals. He'd had interest from teams up the pyramid previously. I think he's a decent goalie at this level, his distribution is his biggest weakness and his decision making is questionable at times but he's a good shot stopper and generally commands his area well and comes off his line at the right times. I think he'd get into plenty of other sides at this level and yes, I'd select him over Norris every day of the week based on their respective performances here.

I can't think of many (or any) teams around us that he would start for tbh. Burge, Pym, Ingram etc. I think our rivals are in a different league in that regard.

I remember you saying previously that you didn't think his kicking was bad, which surprised me. I think people are starting to appreciate now that it is a big weakness, and it's highlighted further in this system & style. He isn't appropriate for how we're approaching it, and something has to give. We either revert to a more direct style, or we upgrade him. I think we'll struggle against the better sides at this level if we don't address it. I guess time will tell.

Holy on 10:26 - Oct 22 with 1723 viewsHerbivore

Holy on 10:21 - Oct 22 by clive_baker

I can't think of many (or any) teams around us that he would start for tbh. Burge, Pym, Ingram etc. I think our rivals are in a different league in that regard.

I remember you saying previously that you didn't think his kicking was bad, which surprised me. I think people are starting to appreciate now that it is a big weakness, and it's highlighted further in this system & style. He isn't appropriate for how we're approaching it, and something has to give. We either revert to a more direct style, or we upgrade him. I think we'll struggle against the better sides at this level if we don't address it. I guess time will tell.

I think I said his kicking was no worse than Norris', which I stand by based on watching them both last season. Neither used the ball well at all. I've not really seen anything of Cornell to be honest but if he's good with his feet then there's a case for playing him if we want to persist with playing this way.

I do think the current issues are amplified by three of the back four constantly going back to Holy because they aren't very comfortable on the ball themselves. He's seeing much more of the ball than is ideal and if we had CBs who are more comfortable in possession plus Ward back in I don't think it'd be such a huge problem as it was on Tuesday.

Holy on 10:29 - Oct 22 with 1715 viewsKieran_Knows

'Holy seems to have developed some sort of cult following on here despite the fact he's looked distinctly average from the moment he joined.'

Exactly this, makes 1 Facebook status a week and our fans thinks he's a legend. Get a grip.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Holy on 10:50 - Oct 22 with 1694 viewsLankHenners

Downvoting on principle any high and mighty 'I said xyz and was shot down' starts to a thread.

He looks like someone who naturally has a gift of an attribute (giant kick) but has never been properly taught how to utilise it which is why a lot of his kicks are just overhit. Not necessarily his fault but as above it asks a big question of Lambert as to why he was signed in the first place if he wanted to play out from the back.

As for him being popular, it's not particularly hard to work out why - he's a very warm character and is always very positive towards the fans. Certain players just endear themselves to fans, happens everywhere. Always find it a bit odd when people complain about it, comes across as a bit of jealousy that no-one likes *their* preferred player.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Holy on 10:56 - Oct 22 with 1672 viewsArnieM

I'm not sure why Holy doesn't use his long throw out to the players. He used to use this with amazing accuracy and effect in his time at Gillingham. He was a pro Basketball player before football, and has a very powerful accurate pass on him. Maybe the coaches at the club don't favour this , but is you look at footage of him using it at his previous club , wed be daft not to use it .

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Holy on 11:19 - Oct 22 with 1651 viewsPortman_Pie

I'm not convinced on his ability as a keeper oveall - but that comes as a combination of him either not playing in the games last season which I saw at home - given Shamberts rotation policy on keepers, or Shamberts terrible theory on playing out from the back.

I think Holy would be adequate if he were allowed to play in his own way. There's no doubt he has a scud of a kick on him, and can reach the oppositions area most times he deadballs it. We sadly dont have any capability to exploit this route 1 option. It may be boring to go route 1 - but I think i'd prefer it to seeing him tippy tappy to our defenders,, whom 3 out of 4 must be the LEAST capable 'players' as a defensive unit in the league. Nsialla, Wilson, Kenlock arent dribblers, or players, and Chambers despite a couple of decent passes this season, isnt usually a ball player. Woolfenden is the only hope we have to play it out.

The whole play it out tactic is seriously balls. Shambert tried to adopt this at Blackburn a few seasons back at PR - when Steele was in goal. After the second time of doing so - our strikers marked the defenders every goal kick - and Steele looked like an embarrased child with no idea what to then do. It's so predictable and boring. Much like all Shamberts antequated tactics, and lack of planb B's in anything.

Holy could throw to the halfway line, ather than a lumbering 6'8' trying to dribble and pass to inadequately prepped defenders. It's just yet another exanmple of shamberts short comings.
Holy on 11:40 - Oct 22 with 1618 viewsHerbivore

Holy on 10:29 - Oct 22 by Kieran_Knows

'Holy seems to have developed some sort of cult following on here despite the fact he's looked distinctly average from the moment he joined.'

Exactly this, makes 1 Facebook status a week and our fans thinks he's a legend. Get a grip.

Where is this happening? Is it on twitter and Facebook? I don't really see it on here at all.

Holy on 12:16 - Oct 22 with 1593 viewsclive_baker

Holy on 11:40 - Oct 22 by Herbivore

Where is this happening? Is it on twitter and Facebook? I don't really see it on here at all.

Yes, lots of fan boys and girls on social media, Holy certainly appears to over index relative to his contribution. Don't get me wrong, its great to see our players getting support, I don't like seeing keyboard warriors messaging abuse to our players online, it's not a good look. It's curious how some supporters aren't so forgiving of the likes of Nsiala though.

Holy on 12:37 - Oct 22 with 1556 viewsHerbivore

Holy on 12:16 - Oct 22 by clive_baker

Yes, lots of fan boys and girls on social media, Holy certainly appears to over index relative to his contribution. Don't get me wrong, its great to see our players getting support, I don't like seeing keyboard warriors messaging abuse to our players online, it's not a good look. It's curious how some supporters aren't so forgiving of the likes of Nsiala though.

I tend to steer clear of Town stuff on twitter and Facebook. You really do get some right wrong uns on there.

Holy on 17:56 - Oct 22 with 1489 viewsWickets

Holy on 10:13 - Oct 22 by Herbivore

Yer me too .I think Holy's size often stops teams playing long balls into the box or at least makes it more difficult to get it right . Yes he made a pigs ear of one but in fairness Dozzell pinged the ball back to him twice i think and i dont think he appreciated it . As for Cornell that some are calling for is he better with the ball at his feet ? Did he not make a huge mistake early on when playing out from the back .
Holy on 18:12 - Oct 22 with 1472 viewsHerbivore

Holy on 17:56 - Oct 22 by Wickets

Yer me too .I think Holy's size often stops teams playing long balls into the box or at least makes it more difficult to get it right . Yes he made a pigs ear of one but in fairness Dozzell pinged the ball back to him twice i think and i dont think he appreciated it . As for Cornell that some are calling for is he better with the ball at his feet ? Did he not make a huge mistake early on when playing out from the back .

He gifted Spurs a goal by passing it straight to one of their players in preseason.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024