Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters 09:23 - Oct 21 with 4156 viewsKeno

but I don't get the whole 'its only one defeat' thing.

We have been crap for most of the 2 years under Lambert
[Post edited 21 Oct 2020 9:49]

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 09:27 - Oct 21 with 2535 viewsblueislander

But last night we were exceptionally crap. Or were Doncaster exceptionally good?
I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 09:27 - Oct 21 with 2528 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Yes we were.... somehow though in his first season that team who had embarrassed our club on the pitch got clapped and cheered after the Birmingham game. Two different rules for the manager and players I see.

The midfield for example was completely non existent yesterday. Full of clueless passengers. Huws, Dozzell and Nolan. Do they need to be taught how to pass the ball?
I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 09:31 - Oct 21 with 2504 viewsblueislander

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 09:27 - Oct 21 by Mach_foreignBlue

Yes we were.... somehow though in his first season that team who had embarrassed our club on the pitch got clapped and cheered after the Birmingham game. Two different rules for the manager and players I see.

The midfield for example was completely non existent yesterday. Full of clueless passengers. Huws, Dozzell and Nolan. Do they need to be taught how to pass the ball?

In previous games Dozzell and Nolan passed the ball very well.
I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 09:33 - Oct 21 with 2493 viewsMach_foreignBlue

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 09:31 - Oct 21 by blueislander

In previous games Dozzell and Nolan passed the ball very well.

They had done so but yesterday they struggled against the better opposition.

There was no fight at all in our midfield last night.
I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 09:36 - Oct 21 with 2477 viewsblueislander

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 09:33 - Oct 21 by Mach_foreignBlue

They had done so but yesterday they struggled against the better opposition.

There was no fight at all in our midfield last night.

So they can pass it well and don’t need to be taught how to?
I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 09:37 - Oct 21 with 2479 viewsSouperJim

One defeat in the context of the excellent start to the season. I completely agree that we have lost far too many games under Lambert.

So far we have 2.3 points per game, if we can sustain that over the whole season we'll go up. There are some signs we've improved, I think most people felt that even in our strongest period last season we were scraping results that our performances didn't convincingly deserve, but I think we've deservedly won 5 of our first 7 this season with decent performances. But the manner of the defeat last night is serious cause for concern, our toughest test so far and we looked a long way from a top 2 side.

You can either back the manager or want him out, but I don't know why it always has to be so toxic on here. I'm cautiously optimistic that we can do the business this season, but equally I wouldn't shed a tear if Lambert went tomorrow.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 09:38 - Oct 21 with 2469 viewsKeno

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 09:27 - Oct 21 by blueislander

But last night we were exceptionally crap. Or were Doncaster exceptionally good?

possibly a bit of each

ot we just reverted to type

like what we we did last season

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 09:38 - Oct 21 with 2458 viewsMach_foreignBlue

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 09:36 - Oct 21 by blueislander

So they can pass it well and don’t need to be taught how to?

They seemed completely unable to do such thing last night so perhaps the manager needs to remind them.
Login to get fewer ads

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 09:42 - Oct 21 with 2445 viewsKeno

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 09:37 - Oct 21 by SouperJim

One defeat in the context of the excellent start to the season. I completely agree that we have lost far too many games under Lambert.

So far we have 2.3 points per game, if we can sustain that over the whole season we'll go up. There are some signs we've improved, I think most people felt that even in our strongest period last season we were scraping results that our performances didn't convincingly deserve, but I think we've deservedly won 5 of our first 7 this season with decent performances. But the manner of the defeat last night is serious cause for concern, our toughest test so far and we looked a long way from a top 2 side.

You can either back the manager or want him out, but I don't know why it always has to be so toxic on here. I'm cautiously optimistic that we can do the business this season, but equally I wouldn't shed a tear if Lambert went tomorrow.

It wasn't meant to be toxic and I guess this is phrase that concerns me "I''m cautiously optimistic"

With this squad etc we should have gone up last year but were abject

I think I am hopefully we get go up this season, but its the hope that kills you

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 09:43 - Oct 21 with 2444 viewsblueislander

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 09:38 - Oct 21 by Mach_foreignBlue

They seemed completely unable to do such thing last night so perhaps the manager needs to remind them.

They had a collectively bad night.
I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 09:45 - Oct 21 with 2437 viewsHerbivore

Indeed. It's not just one defeat, it's 2 years of pretty terrible management.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 09:49 - Oct 21 with 2432 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

I can actually see both sides, I can understand peoples fustrations with Lambert, I am more of the incline that we are approaching games with a new style this year, trying to play differently and do want to give it time to bed in.

And to be fair we have had a good start, but need to be able to compete with the better sides and play this (our) way successfully against them, and only time will tell whether we can.

I do think Donny were very good, a good squad, good players who were confident taking the ball and being positive with it.

I'm not sure all our players are confident enough/good enough to do that in the bigger games.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 09:53 - Oct 21 with 2412 viewsBiGDonnie

We will always concede goals against the better teams with the back line we had last night.

*Cafu's exempt form the above statement.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 09:54 - Oct 21 with 2409 viewsHerbivore

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 09:37 - Oct 21 by SouperJim

If you look at the stats from our opening games last season we were creating at least as many chances as we have been this season (after four games we'd created 10 more chances last season versus this season). The opposition was generally stronger too, we'd already played Sunderland and Peterborough by this point. I think our start this time around has been similar, not really playing well for 90 minutes but generally having a good spell in games where our extra quality shows and then being generally fairly solid. That will only take you so far though, as last night showed.

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 09:54 - Oct 21 with 2409 viewsSouperJim

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 09:42 - Oct 21 by Keno

It wasn't meant to be toxic and I guess this is phrase that concerns me "I''m cautiously optimistic"

With this squad etc we should have gone up last year but were abject

I think I am hopefully we get go up this season, but its the hope that kills you

I wasn't calling you toxic, just commenting on the general atmosphere on here.

I agree completely, the collapse last season was a shambles. I think what concerned me the most is having had a terrible December, we won 3 in 4 in January and looked like we had turned the corner. At that point I really thought we had got the monkey off our back and learned as a team how to pick ourselves up and grind out results. And then we lost 7 of the next 9.

That kind of mental fragility is completely at odds with how we look when we're on a good run, so it makes every defeat a real cause for concern. Does losing 4-1 to Doncaster mean we'll see another collapse? I hope not, but as you say, it's the hope that kills you.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 09:56 - Oct 21 with 2397 viewsbraveblue

But it is only one defeat!!! We are second in the league.
I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 10:01 - Oct 21 with 2382 viewsKeno

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 09:54 - Oct 21 by SouperJim

I wasn't calling you toxic, just commenting on the general atmosphere on here.

I agree completely, the collapse last season was a shambles. I think what concerned me the most is having had a terrible December, we won 3 in 4 in January and looked like we had turned the corner. At that point I really thought we had got the monkey off our back and learned as a team how to pick ourselves up and grind out results. And then we lost 7 of the next 9.

That kind of mental fragility is completely at odds with how we look when we're on a good run, so it makes every defeat a real cause for concern. Does losing 4-1 to Doncaster mean we'll see another collapse? I hope not, but as you say, it's the hope that kills you.

Saturday vs Lincoln will be very telling

dont lose and things will look better

another bad performance and drubbing and ..........

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 10:04 - Oct 21 with 2371 viewsitfcjoe

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 09:54 - Oct 21 by Herbivore

If you look at the stats from our opening games last season we were creating at least as many chances as we have been this season (after four games we'd created 10 more chances last season versus this season). The opposition was generally stronger too, we'd already played Sunderland and Peterborough by this point. I think our start this time around has been similar, not really playing well for 90 minutes but generally having a good spell in games where our extra quality shows and then being generally fairly solid. That will only take you so far though, as last night showed.

Are we talking chances, or just shots? Because we are creating far more this year and looking more solid by all the subjective measures like xG

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 10:29 - Oct 21 with 2320 viewsElephantintheRoom

Let me help you comprehend the situation.

Before last night top and unbeatenn after playing a few dud teams and one non-existant one.

After last night - no longer unbeaten having lost one to one of the better teams in the division.

It IS only one defeat. 0 + 1 = 1

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 10:32 - Oct 21 with 2309 viewsKeno

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 10:29 - Oct 21 by ElephantintheRoom

Let me help you comprehend the situation.

Before last night top and unbeatenn after playing a few dud teams and one non-existant one.

After last night - no longer unbeaten having lost one to one of the better teams in the division.

It IS only one defeat. 0 + 1 = 1

but, this is a link to some stats on a hooky internet site, which I am not sure you can trust

https://www.twtd.co.uk/statistics/managers/paul-lambert

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 10:44 - Oct 21 with 2267 viewsHerbivore

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 10:04 - Oct 21 by itfcjoe

Are we talking chances, or just shots? Because we are creating far more this year and looking more solid by all the subjective measures like xG

I don't pay too much attention to XG, I'm going by the stats on shots and also using the eye test. I've seen every league game this season, I'd seen most of our games by this time last season as well. For me it's been fairly similar in terms of having a good spell in games and being solid but also having long spells of looking rather disjointed and scrappy. I'm pleased Dozzer and Bishop are getting more minutes and perhaps when we now have a good spell it's a bit easier on the eye because of their contributions, but that's about it for me. In terms of our overall effectiveness I don't see a huge improvement from the early part of last season. And bear in mind we had a tougher start overall last season than this.

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 10:46 - Oct 21 with 2259 viewsbournemouthblue

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 09:27 - Oct 21 by blueislander

Doncaster were far from exceptionally good but they didn't have to be

We buckled much as Accrington did against us on Saturday

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 10:48 - Oct 21 with 2252 viewsKieran_Knows

Proof will be in the pudding this weekend if he gets a reaction. Might be a chance to change things around slightly and get Woolfenden/McGuiness & Cornell in to the side. Hawkins if fit must come straight back in as well.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 11:14 - Oct 21 with 2195 viewsitfcjoe

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 10:44 - Oct 21 by Herbivore

I don't pay too much attention to XG, I'm going by the stats on shots and also using the eye test. I've seen every league game this season, I'd seen most of our games by this time last season as well. For me it's been fairly similar in terms of having a good spell in games and being solid but also having long spells of looking rather disjointed and scrappy. I'm pleased Dozzer and Bishop are getting more minutes and perhaps when we now have a good spell it's a bit easier on the eye because of their contributions, but that's about it for me. In terms of our overall effectiveness I don't see a huge improvement from the early part of last season. And bear in mind we had a tougher start overall last season than this.

We are creating far more better chances this season, compared to the games at this stage last year.

Even on Saturday when we had a really poor first half the 2 best chances fell to Freddie Sears. I don't think anyone will say we are putting brilliant 90 minute performances behind us at the moment - but (aside from MK) we are creating a good number of good chances per game, whilst limiting the opposition to a few.

I think our points haul this season, bar a point nicked at MK, is fair - whereas last year in our good run - games away at Gillingha, MK, even Burton on the opening day saw us score from one of very few chances created and then get away with a few bits defensively.

Our performances this year seem far more sustainable, but think the team needs to evolve into something like the below over the course of the season:

---------------------Cornell------------------
KVY-------Chambers--Woolf----Ward
---------------------Dozz-------------------
-------------Bish----------Downes--------
Lankester/KB-----------------------Edward
--------------------Hawkins---------------

Defensively, we have defended well, but it is almost at a stage where being progressive from the back is as, if not more, important than that. But I can't really fault Lambert for sticking with what has worked, and he has tough decisions to make, which he is paid big money to do.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I would like to think I am sane and normal as most posters on 11:15 - Oct 21 with 2196 viewsFixed_It

But it is only one defeat in the context of this season, when we have largely been much better.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024