Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A couple of my thoughts 09:53 - Oct 21 with 920 viewsWickets

Playing out from the back relies on heavily on midfield movement which has been good this season before last night . Toto , Wilson and Kenlock cannot be faulted for their effort but are all very limited players and sadly i don't think we can get promoted if they play regularly .Hopefully Ward is fit to return soon . I am a fan of Freddy Sears and he is a decent enough player at this level and maybe the Championship as well but on three occasions this season he has shot from acute angle when others were in a better position to score . a he did last night at the start of the second half, Edwards had made a great run into the box and was in a good position to sidefoot home if Freddy had squared it . We did not play well but games swing on goals at 2-2 we might well have got something out of the game . It does not matter who scores its a team game ! Just the mumblings of a very disappointed old man .
[Post edited 21 Oct 2020 9:56]
A couple of my thoughts on 00:44 - Oct 22 with 820 viewsmadmouse1959

Yep, a common problem. Sears not looking to square a simple pass, sometimes always..

It was disappointing we did not subdue and frustrate Doncaster more, because a draw would of been seen as a good result. Ipswich needs a steady 11 if that is possible.

shampoo dave

A couple of my thoughts on 03:20 - Oct 22 with 793 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

I thought that about Freddie last night, and I had thought it on a previous home game and I can’t remember which one where he should have just squared it to Drinan.

Very selfish in front of goal, don’t like it.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

A couple of my thoughts on 07:09 - Oct 22 with 751 viewsChrisd

A couple of my thoughts on 03:20 - Oct 22 by TheTrueBlue1878

I thought that about Freddie last night, and I had thought it on a previous home game and I can’t remember which one where he should have just squared it to Drinan.

vs. Wigan. It's probably Sears' natural instinct as a striker, they are generally a little selfish.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

A couple of my thoughts on 08:57 - Oct 22 with 695 viewsWickets

A couple of my thoughts on 03:20 - Oct 22 by TheTrueBlue1878

Yes it should be a judgement call , the three times he has done it this season he has had time on his hands to play the right ball maybe if under pressure you could excuse it but that has not been the case . Come on Freddy you are better than this ,
A couple of my thoughts on 09:29 - Oct 22 with 675 viewsblueislander

You are right in that Holy should be looking to get it to a midfielder, all of whom are comfortable on the ball, but Wilson and Toto stand right beside him, so he has obviously been told to play it to them.
A couple of my thoughts on 09:59 - Oct 22 with 655 viewsmr_bean

Yes, I noticed that moment of selfishness from Freddie. Edwards gestured to him in exasperation afterwards

I'd be surprised if Edwards didn't mention it to him after the game, and even more surprised if it isn't picked up when the coaching staff share their analysis of the video with the players this week.
A couple of my thoughts on 10:24 - Oct 22 with 637 viewsGhostOfBenters

Wilson is very underrated on here. The stats show that he's one of the most accurate passers in our team, and indeed against Rochdale he had the most accurate passes of everyone (90%).

I'd love to see Wolfie come back in, but for Nsiala. Don't know enough about the Arsenal kid to know if he should replace Wilson, but seems risky to me having two youngsters at centre back.
A couple of my thoughts on 10:57 - Oct 22 with 618 viewsblueislander

A couple of my thoughts on 10:24 - Oct 22 by GhostOfBenters

Wilson is very underrated on here. The stats show that he's one of the most accurate passers in our team, and indeed against Rochdale he had the most accurate passes of everyone (90%).

I'd love to see Wolfie come back in, but for Nsiala. Don't know enough about the Arsenal kid to know if he should replace Wilson, but seems risky to me having two youngsters at centre back.

I would suggest that that statistic is very misleading in that a very high percentage of the passes would have been to Nsiala or Holy.
Login to get fewer ads

A couple of my thoughts on 11:08 - Oct 22 with 609 viewsGhostOfBenters

A couple of my thoughts on 10:57 - Oct 22 by blueislander

I would suggest that that statistic is very misleading in that a very high percentage of the passes would have been to Nsiala or Holy.

Indeed, but Wilson's stats are a lot higher than Nsiala's, who would've also had a high percentage going to Wilson or Holy.
A couple of my thoughts on 11:10 - Oct 22 with 607 viewsPortman_Pie

I personnally think we should be giving Sears a break - and branding him 'Selfish' is a bit of a cop out.

Given that the guy has been playing on the wing for about the last 4 years - I dont think selfish is the right word to use regarding his attitude.

With Freddie - I honestly believe that if he were played in his correct position of CF - and given a run of games in that favoured position, the selfish instinct of going for goal would come good.

We've seen the progress Dozzell has made given a run - and having watched Hawkins in all the games so far - I think Freddie in that out and out CF role is more effective.

Of all garbage decisions Shambert makes - and there are lots - I wish we would vary our style just once in a while. Of course I dont want to revert back to Lambingo and change it every game, but having a plan A, and a plan B would be useful in his clueless tactical plan. The ability to change to a 4-4-2 might be welcome occasionally dependant on a game is going..! And Sears and Hawkins as a front 2 might work well.

Back to the original point, if Sears is taking shots when the seemingly better option is to pass - a good, on form striker tends to make the same call - but nets them. Again - given a run, his sharpness - I think at least, would pay dividends, and those missed chances would turn into goals..!
A couple of my thoughts on 12:01 - Oct 22 with 569 viewsmonty_radio

On the other hand, not playing out from the back relies very often on decent hold-up players which, unless Hawkins/Drinan are fully fit, we don't have.

Playing totally right-footed central strikers as left-wingers means that defenders are always looking to show Freddie down the line. Edwards fares better on that score as he has a trick or two, and his left foot is a little more accurate (yeah, I know "shame about his right foot" etc, etc).

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

A couple of my thoughts on 17:34 - Oct 22 with 531 viewsWickets

A couple of my thoughts on 10:24 - Oct 22 by GhostOfBenters

Yes Wilson's passing out from the back has been pretty decent to be fair but passing out is very reliant on the midfielders makeing themselves available , Tuesdays game there wasn't enough movement and PL said as much after the match . For me if either of our 2 centre backs are forced into going long its very much hit or miss . Wilson is for me is ok at this level and to be fair he was brought in as cheap squad cover and has exceeded that . I agree i would have Wolfie in for Toto but the time will come when we will have to find out if McGunness is good enough . I do take your point regards two youngsters and in an ideal world maybe we would not do it but we might be forced into it . Just hope Ward returns soon as 2 vocal old timers makeing up the back four might help them .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024