Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Defending 09:12 - Oct 22 with 1903 viewsWickets

After about three games at the start of the season a few of us where worried regards the number of chances the so called lesser sides had missed against us balls coming into the box teams getting free headers a couple of times . I remember thinking how unorganised defending had been but as other had pointed out we kept winning and think some one said all teams get chances its not a problem . I just wonder after our first defeat and for the first time this season we looked like the Ipswich of the last couple of years . Do we stick or twist ? Saturday game is likely to be big test . Do we stay with Toto and Wilson ?Might seem harsh to drop them when results say only one poor game but with Woolf and McGunness waiting in the wings its a tough call . Most would play Ward if he is fit i'm sure ,
Defending on 09:17 - Oct 22 with 1877 viewsHerbivore

It's a tricky one. If Ward is fit then that's a no brainer. Woolfy is probably our best CB, easily our best with the ball, and so should be playing. The problem is if you drop Toto now after one poor performance when he'd previously been playing well it will destroy his confidence as a player and will send out a message to the squad that if you make a mistake you'll get bombed out. Players need to know they have to perform, but it becomes harder to do that if you are made to feel terrified of making an error.

I'm on the fence with it to be honest. There's a case for playing most of the XI from Tuesday and challenging them to put it right, there's also a case for making a few changes to give others a chance in place of those that didn't perform on Tuesday.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Defending on 09:24 - Oct 22 with 1851 viewsJakeITFC

Continuity is good, but ultimately we've got better players waiting in the wings so you'd have to think we'd be a better side for playing them.

I think Cornell should be in for Holy if we want the keepers distribution to be a part of our game.

Woolfenden has to play now, in for Nsiala. I have never seen the Arsenal loanee play but for the same reasons as the GK switch above, he's a surely a better footballer than Wilson.

Ward for Kenlock is a must when fit.

Not sure whether we've got the numbers to jig the midfield three around too much - Bishop should be in, probably for Huws (even though Nolan/Dozzell were poor on Tuesday).

I think the front three should be Lankester, Hawkins, Edwards from the currently fit options. I like the look of Bennetts in the short bursts I've seen, but it's a worry for me that he's ahead of Lankester.

Six changes is probably too drastic after just one defeat, but that seems a much better team to me.
Defending on 09:34 - Oct 22 with 1838 viewsGuthrum

I'm getting rather concerned that a lot is being put upon McGuinness' shoulders. He's a 19-year-old with zero competitive senior team experience and just a couple of Trophy games under his belt. Which, while he may be a very promising prospect, does not make him a League One-ready centre-back.

He may turn out to be brilliant, but throwing him straight in the deep end is not just risky, it's also rather unfair.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Defending on 09:38 - Oct 22 with 1825 viewsGuthrum

Defending on 09:17 - Oct 22 by Herbivore

It's a tricky one. If Ward is fit then that's a no brainer. Woolfy is probably our best CB, easily our best with the ball, and so should be playing. The problem is if you drop Toto now after one poor performance when he'd previously been playing well it will destroy his confidence as a player and will send out a message to the squad that if you make a mistake you'll get bombed out. Players need to know they have to perform, but it becomes harder to do that if you are made to feel terrified of making an error.

I'm on the fence with it to be honest. There's a case for playing most of the XI from Tuesday and challenging them to put it right, there's also a case for making a few changes to give others a chance in place of those that didn't perform on Tuesday.

If Lambert does change it and we lose, he will be damned for "Lambingo". If he doesn't and we lose it will be down to not having swapped the players. But if we win, he's then stuck with whoever he picked. Tough position.

Defending on 09:44 - Oct 22 with 1816 viewsPJH

Defending on 09:34 - Oct 22 by Guthrum

I'm getting rather concerned that a lot is being put upon McGuinness' shoulders. He's a 19-year-old with zero competitive senior team experience and just a couple of Trophy games under his belt. Which, while he may be a very promising prospect, does not make him a League One-ready centre-back.

He may turn out to be brilliant, but throwing him straight in the deep end is not just risky, it's also rather unfair.

The McGuinness situation is a bit strange because obviously Arsenal have not sent him here just to watch matches but not sure when he will play.

He cannot play in the EFL thingy for us, we are out of the League Cup so the F.A. Cup would seem to be when we will see him but that could just be one game.

Whenever KVY is available again that would reduce his chances further because presumably Chambo will get one centre half place.

Woolfenden should be in the first team now because he is our best central defender so not sure when we will see McGuinness or how much we will see of him when we do.
Defending on 10:06 - Oct 22 with 1794 viewsGuthrum

Defending on 09:44 - Oct 22 by PJH

The McGuinness situation is a bit strange because obviously Arsenal have not sent him here just to watch matches but not sure when he will play.

He cannot play in the EFL thingy for us, we are out of the League Cup so the F.A. Cup would seem to be when we will see him but that could just be one game.

Whenever KVY is available again that would reduce his chances further because presumably Chambo will get one centre half place.

Woolfenden should be in the first team now because he is our best central defender so not sure when we will see McGuinness or how much we will see of him when we do.

Indeed, it's a slightly odd one.

Possibly was a combination of Ndaba (at that time) about to go out on loan, the possibility of Woolfenden departing and questions about Nsiala/Wilson being able to keep up early season form. Plus maybe a desire to snap up someone who'd impressed playing against us in the Trophy.

I'd have thought we're more likely to see him eased in over time, starting with minutes at the end of games if we have a spare sub slot. Or as cover for resting others.

Defending on 10:06 - Oct 22 with 1791 viewsHerbivore

Defending on 09:24 - Oct 22 by JakeITFC

Continuity is good, but ultimately we've got better players waiting in the wings so you'd have to think we'd be a better side for playing them.

I think Cornell should be in for Holy if we want the keepers distribution to be a part of our game.

Woolfenden has to play now, in for Nsiala. I have never seen the Arsenal loanee play but for the same reasons as the GK switch above, he's a surely a better footballer than Wilson.

Ward for Kenlock is a must when fit.

Not sure whether we've got the numbers to jig the midfield three around too much - Bishop should be in, probably for Huws (even though Nolan/Dozzell were poor on Tuesday).

I think the front three should be Lankester, Hawkins, Edwards from the currently fit options. I like the look of Bennetts in the short bursts I've seen, but it's a worry for me that he's ahead of Lankester.

Six changes is probably too drastic after just one defeat, but that seems a much better team to me.

I don't think it's a good idea to go with a returning Woolfenden alongside a kid that's never played senior football before. I think we need to keep one of Wilson or Nsiala in for now, probably Wilson as he is less error prone and can play on the left so that Woolfy can play on his favoured right side.

Defending on 10:10 - Oct 22 with 1785 viewsHerbivore

Defending on 09:38 - Oct 22 by Guthrum

If Lambert does change it and we lose, he will be damned for "Lambingo". If he doesn't and we lose it will be down to not having swapped the players. But if we win, he's then stuck with whoever he picked. Tough position.

It's a tightrope, this comes with him having almost zero credit in the bank though and that is solely down to his performance here over the last 2 years. I think 3 or 4 changes would be about right. Woolfenden needs to come back in, as does Hawkins. If Ward is fit he also comes back in. There's a case for Bishop returning given how poor the midfield was the other night. If we limit it to that, and three of those changes are for players who have been first choice previously, I don't think there could be too many arguments.

Login to get fewer ads

Defending on 10:34 - Oct 22 with 1759 viewsWickets

Well my view is much the same as it was early on . As things stand i would have to leave Toto out , tough on him and it will not help his very brittle confidence as previously pointed out but tbh i felt that got destroyed by his poor first half on Tuesday . If he had come out second half and put in the sort of shift he had done in the earlier games he would have kept his place but the penalty incident was so worrying as he looked favourite but still got beat . I would stick with Wilson for now as he has done ok but think he is really a squad player brought in as cover that has exceeded expectations . So for me Woofie in for Toto and Ward in for Miles as soon as . PL sees these in training so should be able to make these tough choices and has had plenty of time to judge if it is worth takeing a chance with McGunnes soon, so lets hope he is a good enough . I do agree with Lambert our midfield movement has been the main reason for our success . Tuesday was not good enough from any of our Midfielders, back to the pass and move of the earlier games is a must for me .
[Post edited 22 Oct 2020 10:37]
Defending on 10:40 - Oct 22 with 1748 viewsJakeITFC

Defending on 10:06 - Oct 22 by Herbivore

I don't think it's a good idea to go with a returning Woolfenden alongside a kid that's never played senior football before. I think we need to keep one of Wilson or Nsiala in for now, probably Wilson as he is less error prone and can play on the left so that Woolfy can play on his favoured right side.

I just think there is potential upside in McGuinness that there isn't in Wilson. I'd be happy enough with the having a stopper approach continuing if we had defensive solidity, but I'm not sure we've ever had that with Wilson and/or Nsiala playing.

Woolfenden is obviously still a kid but he must be coming up to 100 senior appearances now.
Defending on 10:50 - Oct 22 with 1726 viewsParmigiano

Defending on 09:17 - Oct 22 by Herbivore

Totally agree with it being a player psychology/confidence dilemma as much as anything else.

But I think Woolf has to come back in now. Perhaps play him alongside Wilson on Saturday and then alongside Nsiala next Tuesday and continue to switch these two as and when, depending on opposition. I know constantly switching his partner won't make life easy for Woolf but as someone else said above, when KVY is back, Woolf will be playing alongside Chambers anyway.
Defending on 10:53 - Oct 22 with 1716 viewsArnieM

whilst its common knowledge that our current back four are not the best, "defending" per sa is / should be a "team" thing , not just down the back four.

So if shots are being fire in from just outside the box, where is the midfield in this defending ? If the opposition gets out of its own half with relative ease , where are our front players and midfield in their defending capacity ?

I think this is what PL was alluding to when he said …."we have to be better without the ball"

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Defending on 12:41 - Oct 22 with 1673 viewsHerbivore

Defending on 10:40 - Oct 22 by JakeITFC

I just think there is potential upside in McGuinness that there isn't in Wilson. I'd be happy enough with the having a stopper approach continuing if we had defensive solidity, but I'm not sure we've ever had that with Wilson and/or Nsiala playing.

Woolfenden is obviously still a kid but he must be coming up to 100 senior appearances now.

You'd still have a total rookie alongside a relative rookie playing at the heart of a side in League 1. I just don't see it working to be completely honest, even if they are good footballers. You need some experience in there as well. We really don't know much about McGuiness either, he's not really kicked a ball in senior football and throwing him straight into a tough game alongside Woolfenden playing his first game of the season looks a bit crazy to me.

Defending on 13:05 - Oct 22 with 1651 viewsChrisd

Defending on 12:41 - Oct 22 by Herbivore

You'd still have a total rookie alongside a relative rookie playing at the heart of a side in League 1. I just don't see it working to be completely honest, even if they are good footballers. You need some experience in there as well. We really don't know much about McGuiness either, he's not really kicked a ball in senior football and throwing him straight into a tough game alongside Woolfenden playing his first game of the season looks a bit crazy to me.

Until you play McGuiness we won't know for sure. One thing is he's had a very good grounding at Arsenal and from the performances he's made in the EFL trophy he's looked very good. I agree he needs some experience around him, just to help him through the first few games while he finds his feet at this level. I suppose that's the risk you take with selecting him, but I do feel it is one that is worth taking.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Defending on 13:08 - Oct 22 with 1646 viewsJakeITFC

Defending on 12:41 - Oct 22 by Herbivore

In fairness I was thinking more of the enduring solution than for Lincoln specifically, so fair point.
Defending on 13:50 - Oct 22 with 1611 viewsEl_Fenix

Defending on 09:44 - Oct 22 by PJH

I admire the way that Chambers has kept himself physically fit and mentally focused. Players who lack self-discipline, especially if they have alcohol or wife/girlfriend problems, tend to burn out by the time they are 30.

Despite my admiration of him, I would only play Chambers at CB as a last resort, i.e. if three or more of our other center backs were injured. He is approaching the end of an honorable career, and we should be looking to the future. I would continue to play him at RB until (unless?) KVY regains match fitness.

ITFC shall rise like a phoenix from the ashes of its long decline!

Defending on 13:55 - Oct 22 with 1600 viewsHerbivore

Defending on 13:05 - Oct 22 by Chrisd

Until you play McGuiness we won't know for sure. One thing is he's had a very good grounding at Arsenal and from the performances he's made in the EFL trophy he's looked very good. I agree he needs some experience around him, just to help him through the first few games while he finds his feet at this level. I suppose that's the risk you take with selecting him, but I do feel it is one that is worth taking.

But if you go for experience around him then that means leaving out Woolfenden, who is also an excellent prospect and is also actually our player. Lots of youngsters have a good grounding at top clubs but ultimately don't make it. Toto was at a very good academy at Everton and close to the first team picture at one point as a youth and he's now playing League 1 football in his prime. It's impossible to read too much into which academy a youngster has been at. Lee Martin spent years at Manchester United without ever learning how to play football.

Defending on 13:58 - Oct 22 with 1595 viewsericclacton

New breakthrough in hearing aids. I couldn't resist that sorry wickets.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024