Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hartlepool 10:23 - Oct 23 with 2613 viewsuefacup81

Remembering harder than anyone else this season:

Frankly, if you don't have a Spitfire on your shirt this Remembrance Season (tm) then you might as well go off and join ISIS.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Hartlepool on 10:33 - Oct 23 with 2561 viewsLankHenners

Over the years, as more people who were actually alive during WWI have died, this wretched country has moved Remembrance Day more and more from a quiet, solemn mark of respect for the fallen with a reminder that war and conflict is an atrocity that shouldn’t be repeated, to a noisy ‘war was good and we were fcking great at it! Suck on that, Hun!’

Of course, all of this is cheered on by the ‘patriotic’ sort who’ve never been close to any sort of battle but act like they have so they can berate ‘the youth’ and anyone who looks a bit foreign.

Absolutely diseased Nation.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Hartlepool on 10:41 - Oct 23 with 2531 viewsSouperJim

Sweet jesus, nothing captures the spirit of remembrance day better than a football shirt with a wacking great spitfire accross it. I also note there is no mention on their website of any of the proceeds from that monstrosity going to the royal british legion or similar.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Hartlepool on 10:42 - Oct 23 with 2513 viewsuefacup81

Hartlepool on 10:41 - Oct 23 by SouperJim

Sweet jesus, nothing captures the spirit of remembrance day better than a football shirt with a wacking great spitfire accross it. I also note there is no mention on their website of any of the proceeds from that monstrosity going to the royal british legion or similar.

It'S nOt EvEn GoT a PoPpY oN iT.

B*STARDS. SUPPORT ARE LADZ.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Hartlepool on 10:46 - Oct 23 with 2496 viewsSteve_M

How little knowledge of history they have: clearly it should have a monkey in French military uniform on it.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Hartlepool on 11:22 - Oct 23 with 2434 viewssoupytwist

Anyone who has followed some of the Twitter coverage of this will have seen that the actual aeroplane pictured on the shirt wasn't built until 1943, some three years after the event being commemorated took place.
And the map appears to be straight off a stock images site with random colour blocks that would suggest that Ireland and Wales were fighting on the Axis side.

Still, I guess that's what you get when you chuck something together to jump on a fast moving bandwagon.
Hartlepool on 11:37 - Oct 23 with 2384 viewsGuthrum

Hartlepool on 11:22 - Oct 23 by soupytwist

Anyone who has followed some of the Twitter coverage of this will have seen that the actual aeroplane pictured on the shirt wasn't built until 1943, some three years after the event being commemorated took place.
And the map appears to be straight off a stock images site with random colour blocks that would suggest that Ireland and Wales were fighting on the Axis side.

Still, I guess that's what you get when you chuck something together to jump on a fast moving bandwagon.

The map makes no sense in terms of WWII politics and alliances (some of the countries depicted did not actually exist as separate entities, e.g. what appears to be Belarus).

The Spitfire is, indeed, a Mk V (or later), you can tell by the cannon sticking out of the wings, instead of the fully-embedded .303 Brownings of the 1940 models.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Hartlepool on 11:42 - Oct 23 with 2369 viewsJ2BLUE

Tacky.

Competitive remembrance well and truly a thing now.

A customer where I used to work would often come in all year around in a hat with a poppy on it. An actual remembrance poppy. All year around. Used to drive me crazy.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Hartlepool on 11:46 - Oct 23 with 2357 viewsm14_blue

Hartlepool on 11:22 - Oct 23 by soupytwist

And the Cornish.

The bastards
Login to get fewer ads

Hartlepool on 11:49 - Oct 23 with 2352 viewsSwansea_Blue

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Hartlepool on 12:11 - Oct 23 with 2307 viewsMercian

Hartlepool on 10:33 - Oct 23 by LankHenners

Over the years, as more people who were actually alive during WWI have died, this wretched country has moved Remembrance Day more and more from a quiet, solemn mark of respect for the fallen with a reminder that war and conflict is an atrocity that shouldn’t be repeated, to a noisy ‘war was good and we were fcking great at it! Suck on that, Hun!’

Of course, all of this is cheered on by the ‘patriotic’ sort who’ve never been close to any sort of battle but act like they have so they can berate ‘the youth’ and anyone who looks a bit foreign.

People criticise me badly for not supporting Remembrance Sunday as a former soldier. My reason is that people cry, they remember and vow to support our troops. They then go and kick proverbial sand in the faces of down and out ex servicemen who ask for the price of a cup of tea. Or as one snobby little b%%tard a little while back did. Pretend to give an ex serviceman a tenner before setting fire to and lighting his fag with it whilst singing Rule effing Britannia.
Hartlepool on 20:58 - Oct 23 with 2109 viewsBluespeed225

Hartlepool on 10:46 - Oct 23 by Steve_M

How little knowledge of history they have: clearly it should have a monkey in French military uniform on it.

Exactly! Monkey hangers the lot of em'!
Hartlepool on 23:10 - Oct 23 with 2019 viewsPlums

I saw a guy wearing one of these back in the summer. I couldn’t take my eyes off it.

https://www.knightsportswear.com/products/honour-our-armed-forces-d-day-tech-pol

Astonishingly crass.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Hartlepool on 21:25 - Oct 24 with 1752 viewsPlums

They’re not alone. The remembrancing is going to be strong this year.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Hartlepool on 21:30 - Oct 24 with 1741 viewsjayessess

Not a lot of dignity or respect in these shirts really, is there?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Hartlepool on 22:00 - Oct 24 with 1699 viewsMelford

Hartlepool on 10:33 - Oct 23 by LankHenners

It was a lot more like that in the past, it was taught to me as a kid it was a day to remember those who'd died in all wars on all sides. One thing that stuck with me was something we read at primary school about the some children in Berlin at the end of WWII who were made to fight and try to defend the city. It was definitely taught in the way you suggest, war was terrible for everybody involved and it's something we should avoid at all costs.

Now it does seem a lot more triumphalist, a celebration of our boys who died winning our wars. Anyone from WWI has passed on, anybody who saw combat in WWII would be in their 90s now, most of the people who are all in for this kind of thing base their knowledge of WWII on seeing The Dambusters and The Great Escape a few times.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Hartlepool on 22:05 - Oct 24 with 1683 viewsMelford

Hartlepool on 23:10 - Oct 23 by Plums

I saw a guy wearing one of these back in the summer. I couldn’t take my eyes off it.

https://www.knightsportswear.com/products/honour-our-armed-forces-d-day-tech-pol

Astonishingly crass.

Those beaches were literally killing fields, thousands of men lost their lives. Why on earth would you celebrate that?

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024