Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
ITFC Players you have met and thoughts 11:20 - Oct 23 with 5980 viewsDecageBruce

I just wondered with the vast amount of long term supporters here which ITFC players people have met throughout their time and how they came across.

I played youth football with John Wark's son for a few years and he used to come and watch. Apart from struggling to understand what he said sometimes he was a top bloke.

I used to coach kids with David Barnes who was one of the nicest guys I have ever met. At a time of my life when I was in need of help he took me under his wing and was a real help.

I met Keiron Dyer a few times around Ipswich as he was breaking into the team and he was always a bit of a berk but I think he has changed a lot now from what I see and hear.
ITFC Players you have met and thoughts on 11:22 - Oct 23 with 2998 viewsKeno

I've met Mick Mills on a few occasions and he a really nice genuine guy

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

ITFC Players you have met and thoughts on 11:26 - Oct 23 with 2984 viewshoppy

ITFC Players you have met and thoughts on 11:22 - Oct 23 by Keno

I've met Mick Mills on a few occasions and he a really nice genuine guy

You had a very brief meeting with Sir Bobby once too, didn't you? He always spoke well of you...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

ITFC Players you have met and thoughts on 11:27 - Oct 23 with 2976 viewsBiGDonnie

Kind of met Lee Martin after a night o0ut in Beckenham, whilst he was at Town.

Weird little man.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

ITFC Players you have met and thoughts on 11:29 - Oct 23 with 2969 viewsStourbridgeblue

Fabian Wilnis is really nice and friendly. Lovely family too.

Poll: What do you want on Sunday?

ITFC Players you have met and thoughts on 11:31 - Oct 23 with 2964 viewsMetal_Hacker

Met Sir Bobby a couple of times when playing for Suffolk (name dropping) with Jason Dozzell (who I obviously met) but my parents also used to have the General Gordon pub years ago on Cox Lane (now knocked down I believe) and we had Steve McCall come round for Sunday lunch once.Yeah true story

Edit - thoughts = all really nice guys but Sir Bobby was something else . Truly amazing fella.Had so much time back then for youth football.Amazing amazing bloke
[Post edited 23 Oct 2020 11:32]

Poll: If it were one or the other

ITFC Players you have met and thoughts on 11:34 - Oct 23 with 2935 viewsKeno

ITFC Players you have met and thoughts on 11:26 - Oct 23 by hoppy

You had a very brief meeting with Sir Bobby once too, didn't you? He always spoke well of you...

let say there were a few 'passing words'

I accosted Chambo ..... on 11:49 - Oct 23 with 2923 viewsBloots

.....in Germany the pre season after we got relegated.

I asked him if "everything would be alright".

He told me it would and gave me a big cuddle.

He lied. I was hammered.

While I was being distracted by Chambo's embrace Skuse tried to chat up my wife.

Then he realised she was as hammered as me and ran off.

True story.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

I accosted Chambo ..... on 12:17 - Oct 23 with 2863 viewsStadiumofdark

I accosted Chambo ..... on 11:49 - Oct 23 by Bloots

He lied. I was hammered.

While I was being distracted by Chambo's embrace Skuse tried to chat up my wife.

True story.

Skuse ran???? Sounds like you've made this up.
Login to get fewer ads

ITFC Players you have met and thoughts on 12:40 - Oct 23 with 2801 viewsPendejo

ITFC Players you have met and thoughts on 11:31 - Oct 23 by Metal_Hacker

Met Sir Bobby a couple of times when playing for Suffolk (name dropping) with Jason Dozzell (who I obviously met) but my parents also used to have the General Gordon pub years ago on Cox Lane (now knocked down I believe) and we had Steve McCall come round for Sunday lunch once.Yeah true story

Edit - thoughts = all really nice guys but Sir Bobby was something else . Truly amazing fella.Had so much time back then for youth football.Amazing amazing bloke
[Post edited 23 Oct 2020 11:32]

You could say he was "more than a manager"

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

ITFC Players you have met and thoughts on 12:56 - Oct 23 with 2771 viewsSuperblue95

I met Jonathan Douglas once while volunteering at a care home. Really lovely guy but he did need quite a bit of assistance getting about.

We signed him 3 months later

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

ITFC Players you have met and thoughts on 13:01 - Oct 23 with 2739 viewsPendejo

Met Sir Bobby and most of his team at an annual quiz my father's employer used to host. We have a photo of The Best lifting my sister up to draw a raffle prize from the FA Cup. Other than SBR, Mick Mills was the nicest of a good bunch.

Went to school with Jason Dozzell, could possibly be the person originally responsible for his tie injuries, vague and unclear memory from pre84 playing football on a hard surface. Though first time I can remember seeing him play was New Park Rangers v Chantry Cosmos, think Dozzy scored 6.

Had heard Dalian Atkinson was an ass, but he came across really well one Sunday morning when I went to pick up a team mate who lived opposite him.

I bored Romeo Zondervan silly one night in first floor club, but he took it with good grace. Was after Town team had returned from Bradford.

Spent a night drinking in Post House bar with Wark & Brazil. Night before televised home FA Cup match v Manure in 87

Various players in Black Adder after Championship celebrations in 92.

Briefly spoke to Bramble in 2001 on a trip home to England whilst working in Colombia.

These days I doubt if I would recognise any of them... Let alone talk to them

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

ITFC Players you have met and thoughts on 13:11 - Oct 23 with 2708 viewsclive_baker

I met Gwion Edwards a few weeks ago at Morrisons in Sproughton, he was working behind the deli counter doing his actual day job.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

ITFC Players you have met and thoughts on 13:12 - Oct 23 with 2707 viewsGhostOfBenters

I met Gwion Edwards. He was very humble; said he needed to work on his touch, close control and passing.
ITFC Players you have met and thoughts on 13:14 - Oct 23 with 2694 viewsSuperblue95

ITFC Players you have met and thoughts on 13:12 - Oct 23 by GhostOfBenters

I met Gwion Edwards. He was very humble; said he needed to work on his touch, close control and passing.

Was this at Morisons?

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

ITFC Players you have met and thoughts on 13:18 - Oct 23 with 2686 viewsIllinoisblue

Chris Makin in Liquid around 2002. Arrogant and moaning about how rubbish the nightlife in Ipswich was compared to Manchester. Which is as stupid a comparison you could ever make.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

ITFC Players you have met and thoughts on 13:21 - Oct 23 with 2673 viewsjeera

I used to walk to school in a small group as kids do, knocking for one another along the way.

Allan Hunter's eldest was in our group. If the old man was about he'd always say hello to the kids, but that was normal then, living in a regular house on a housing estate (Stoke Park) as footballers often did.

Their front garden was a picture when Town won the FA cup with a large banner across the front of the house.

3 players brought the cup into Halifax Primary for the day but damned if I can remember who. I do recall a kid [KF] asked how heavy it was! They grinned at him and asked if he wanted to try it out. Crafty little sod. So he lifted the trophy, not bad for a 9 year old fan.

More recent times gave Scowcroft a lift home one night; pleasant enough down to earth fella. But I know people who know him well and they'd all say the same.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2020 13:29]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

and how is the lovely on 13:29 - Oct 23 with 2653 viewsKeno

I accosted Chambo ..... on 11:49 - Oct 23 by Bloots

He lied. I was hammered.

True story.

Martine?

ITFC Players you have met and thoughts on 13:44 - Oct 23 with 2626 viewsStu_Magoo

Met John Wark in Everybody's Hobbies when I was a kid. He chatted to me and my dad and then helped me choose a couple of new cars for my Scalectric (from memory I think he advised me to get the black Lotus JPS F1 car). Thoroughly pleasant man.

Met a hammered Sam Parkin in the upstairs of Fire & Ice (was that the Fire bit?) and he ended up sobbing about how we all booed him from the stands and called him sh!te. He biggest blub came when he said everyone was taking the p!ss out of his hair!!! Very funny evening.
ITFC Players you have met and thoughts on 14:06 - Oct 23 with 2580 viewsjaykay

john wark a few times , once him his wife and mother/inlaw at felixstowe, was in what was mannings amusent park. another time he sat next to me in the ipswich regent for the buddy holly musical
the beat at stone lodge community centre , when we had a 10 year reunion for the building of the orwell bridge he came with a mate who worked with us on the bridge.
both players were great to talk to ,no airs and graces with them. none of this do you know who i am

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

ITFC Players you have met and thoughts on 14:15 - Oct 23 with 2558 viewsgeg1992

I've met most of them (recent times) through going to the end of season dinners over the past few years.

The person that was the nicest was definitely Paul Digby, I told him I was going travelling, then the next season, he recognised me and came over to speak to me about it. A really nice guy.

Bart was always really nice too, as was Sears and Chambers.

Biggest Bell was Gerken by a long way.

Poll: Who would you play in place of Burns on Sunday?

ITFC Players you have met and thoughts on 14:16 - Oct 23 with 2558 viewsgainsboroughblue

When Solar Superstore was on Sproughton Road (before the days of Morrison's), some players would occasionally be there for autograph signing. We were told that Warky, Butcher and Osman would be there.

My dad took me down and as we went down an aisle, I could see Osman and Butch with a curly dark haired man in the seat with his back to us. I approached them and embarrassed my dad by saying 'Mr Wark, could you sign my autograph book please'. On him turning around and seeing his face, it turns out he was the photographer and Warky couldn't make it after all. That was a giggle.

Kevin Wilson took a shot during a training session which nearly broke my arm behind the goal and spoke with Romeo who was charming. Around the same time, Terry Butcher's late son would often ask me to kick a ball with him when he was a toddler.

Spoke with various players on Saturday nights at the First Floor Club/Liberties including a worse for wear David Linighan who was tolerant of me if not coherent.

Alan Brazil and I crossed paths several times, not least when he was at the Blackadder. Bumped into Dozy and Kiwomya at the Boardwalk and Blackadder, giving the latter a bear hug in the 1992 celebrations.

Shared a discussion on all things ITFC with David Hill mid swim at Crown Pools. Ian Redford was in the club shop a few days before a Hospital Cup match and after a good chat, he confidently told me we would 'beat the b*****ds'. He was true to his word. We won 4-0. Such a friendly and intelligent bloke was Redford, a tragedy he is no longer with us.

Spoke with Jim Magilton in Brannigans during the first year back in the Prem and he was charm itself, even sharing a couple of rounds. Incredibly friendly guy who kept talking despite a mate of mine accidentally spilling the best part of a pint all over his nice shirt.

Spoke with Fabian Wilnis on the Harwich-Holland ferry and despite probably scaring him in my stupor, he was a top fellow and chatted for a while.

Had a few nods and hello's with Simon Milton over the years. I like to think he recognises me from the quizzes I did down there from time to time but he's probably just being nice.

As for the current lot, I probably pass them in the street and don't even know it. Oh, Luke Chambers was in the queue at the barbers in Tacket Street but had his head in a car magazine.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2020 14:19]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

You haven't see the state of my missus! (n/t) on 14:18 - Oct 23 with 2540 viewsBloots

I accosted Chambo ..... on 12:17 - Oct 23 by Stadiumofdark

Skuse ran???? Sounds like you've made this up.

ITFC Players you have met and thoughts on 14:29 - Oct 23 with 2511 viewsTrumptonBlue

ITFC Players you have met and thoughts on 11:29 - Oct 23 by Stourbridgeblue

Fabian Wilnis is really nice and friendly. Lovely family too.

One lunchtime in 2010, I popped into Sainsbury's in the town centre and saw Fabian Wilnis sitting alone at a table waiting to sign copies of his autobiography, a big box of which sat on the floor beside him. I rarely like to talk people if I can avoid it, but I couldn't help but go and have a chat with Fabian. What a lovely bloke he was. We talked about the good times, he signed a book for me, and I left on a high, unable to concentrate on work during the afternoon.
Ha!...... on 14:36 - Oct 23 with 2485 viewsBloots

and how is the lovely on 13:29 - Oct 23 by Keno

Martine?

....you've got the memory of an elephant Keno.

Legend.

You haven't see the state of my missus! (n/t) on 14:40 - Oct 23 with 2471 viewsBiGDonnie

You haven't see the state of my missus! (n/t) on 14:18 - Oct 23 by Bloots

Damnnnnnnn, I hope for your sake she doesn't read TWTD!

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024