Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What about McGarrys workmanlike team who won the 2nd Division in 1968 13:29 - Oct 23 with 2106 viewscarlisleaway

Nothing special but a very hard working team who took the championship away from the stylish QPR team.
What about McGarrys workmanlike team who won the 2nd Division in 1968 on 13:34 - Oct 23 with 2087 viewscarlisleaway

Who remembers Gerry Francis, Stan Bowles, Leighton James and Parkes in Goal
What about McGarrys workmanlike team who won the 2nd Division in 1968 on 13:43 - Oct 23 with 2077 viewsPJH

That team had some pretty good players.

Hegan and Viljoen in midfield, Frank Brogan on the wing.

Ray Crawford at centre forward was still good although no longer the player of 6 years previously.

Billy Baxter by then a centre half.

Signing Peter Morris and John O'Rourke before the transfer deadline in March saw us over the line.

Unbeaten in the last 15 games starting with O'Rourke's debut
What about McGarrys workmanlike team who won the 2nd Division in 1968 on 13:47 - Oct 23 with 2060 viewsPJH

What about McGarrys workmanlike team who won the 2nd Division in 1968 on 13:34 - Oct 23 by carlisleaway

Who remembers Gerry Francis, Stan Bowles, Leighton James and Parkes in Goal

They were not in QPR's 1968 team though-that was Rodney Marsh etc.
What about McGarrys workmanlike team who won the 2nd Division in 1968 on 13:53 - Oct 23 with 2056 viewsMerthyrblue

I was 9. I can still see Crawford's goal in the final match at the North Stand end which clinched it. My Dad had bought seats in the old East Stand because at the previous sell out game (2-2 v QPR) being crushed against the wall at the front was all too much for me and we left before the end.
What about McGarrys workmanlike team who won the 2nd Division in 1968 on 13:55 - Oct 23 with 2052 viewsnshearman1

What about McGarrys workmanlike team who won the 2nd Division in 1968 on 13:43 - Oct 23 by PJH

Ray Crawford at centre forward was still good although no longer the player of 6 years previously.

Signing Peter Morris and John O'Rourke before the transfer deadline in March saw us over the line.

For me, the key to that season was the signing of O'Rourke, just like the signing of Marcus Stewart in 2000. A lethal striker who gave us the boost we needed towards the end of the season. Such a pity O'Rourke moved on so quickly.
What about McGarrys workmanlike team who won the 2nd Division in 1968 on 14:01 - Oct 23 with 2034 viewsmonty_radio

What about McGarrys workmanlike team who won the 2nd Division in 1968 on 13:47 - Oct 23 by PJH

Definitely. I remember in the 2-2 home game v QPR late in the season, with everything up for grabs, discussing on the way to the ground if Chopper Jefferson could avoid conceding a penalty against Marsh's twinkling feet, from which Marsh would then score - he couldn't. All ended well though we didn't know that on the day.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

What about McGarrys workmanlike team who won the 2nd Division in 1968 on 14:26 - Oct 23 with 2000 viewsRocky

What about McGarrys workmanlike team who won the 2nd Division in 1968 on 13:55 - Oct 23 by nshearman1

For me, the key to that season was the signing of O'Rourke, just like the signing of Marcus Stewart in 2000. A lethal striker who gave us the boost we needed towards the end of the season. Such a pity O'Rourke moved on so quickly.

Yes, O'Rourke made all the difference. I seem to recall he scored 2 on his debut? I can still see him pointing exactly where he wanted the ball from Frank Brogan before sliding it into the net. Of course the majority of that team would have been Jackie Milburn signings.
What about McGarrys workmanlike team who won the 2nd Division in 1968 on 14:33 - Oct 23 with 1992 viewsPJH

What about McGarrys workmanlike team who won the 2nd Division in 1968 on 14:26 - Oct 23 by Rocky

Yes, O'Rourke made all the difference. I seem to recall he scored 2 on his debut? I can still see him pointing exactly where he wanted the ball from Frank Brogan before sliding it into the net. Of course the majority of that team would have been Jackie Milburn signings.

Only Hegan and Brogan of the regular first team although Mick McNeil and Gerry Baker also featured.

Gerry Baker started 1967/68 in the team but left in November.
Login to get fewer ads

What about McGarrys workmanlike team who won the 2nd Division in 1968 on 14:47 - Oct 23 with 1966 viewsshady

Loved this team as reason for my addiction.
My first match was McGarry's first home game in 1964.

Was able to go to a few away games as well;
most notably our 3-0 away victory at Palace which made the last match
less of a worry.
We really hit palace hard from the off and were soon 3-0 up.

I mention this as one of the few top performances in a must win game
that I can remember.

Nobody mentioned a certain Mick Mills.
What about McGarrys workmanlike team who won the 2nd Division in 1968 on 14:56 - Oct 23 with 1964 viewsPJH

What about McGarrys workmanlike team who won the 2nd Division in 1968 on 14:47 - Oct 23 by shady

Loved this team as reason for my addiction.
My first match was McGarry's first home game in 1964.

Was able to go to a few away games as well;
most notably our 3-0 away victory at Palace which made the last match
less of a worry.
We really hit palace hard from the off and were soon 3-0 up.

I mention this as one of the few top performances in a must win game
that I can remember.

Nobody mentioned a certain Mick Mills.

Mick Mills only started 9 League games, some in midfield and some at RB-he established himself in the first team the following season.

I was at Palace that night, I think we were either 2-0 up in about 5 minutes or were 1-0 up and had had one disallowed. It finished 3-1 but we were 3-0 at half time.
What about McGarrys workmanlike team who won the 2nd Division in 1968 on 15:26 - Oct 23 with 1942 viewsjaykay

What about McGarrys workmanlike team who won the 2nd Division in 1968 on 13:43 - Oct 23 by PJH

diesel morris could keep running all day.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

What about McGarrys workmanlike team who won the 2nd Division in 1968 on 15:27 - Oct 23 with 1938 viewsMaySixth

Great thread.

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

What about McGarrys workmanlike team who won the 2nd Division in 1968 on 16:24 - Oct 23 with 1903 viewsScuzzer

Was the year I started following the town.
Bill McGarry's daughter was at school with me.
Colin Viljoen was my absolute idol...great passer of the ball. Would never kick the ball in warm up...just done stretching.

Established 1968

What about McGarrys workmanlike team who won the 2nd Division in 1968 on 16:25 - Oct 23 with 1898 viewsnshearman1

What about McGarrys workmanlike team who won the 2nd Division in 1968 on 14:56 - Oct 23 by PJH

Mick Mills only started 9 League games, some in midfield and some at RB-he established himself in the first team the following season.

I was at Palace that night, I think we were either 2-0 up in about 5 minutes or were 1-0 up and had had one disallowed. It finished 3-1 but we were 3-0 at half time.

I seem to remember from my first programme in 1966 that the left-half was called Mike Mills in those days...
What about McGarrys workmanlike team who won the 2nd Division in 1968 on 18:30 - Oct 23 with 1852 viewsIpswichBoyBlue

Love this. Your knowledge of Town is fantastic.
What about McGarrys workmanlike team who won the 2nd Division in 1968 on 18:32 - Oct 23 with 1847 viewsPJH

What about McGarrys workmanlike team who won the 2nd Division in 1968 on 18:30 - Oct 23 by IpswichBoyBlue

Love this. Your knowledge of Town is fantastic.

Thanks-a lot of it is my memory being jogged by reference to my many ITFC related football books.
What about McGarrys workmanlike team who won the 2nd Division in 1968 on 18:35 - Oct 23 with 1841 viewsWeWereZombies

What about McGarrys workmanlike team who won the 2nd Division in 1968 on 13:47 - Oct 23 by PJH

Just as well, we would never have got a couple of goals past them with four keepers...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

What about McGarrys workmanlike team who won the 2nd Division in 1968 on 18:37 - Oct 23 with 1839 viewsIpswichBoyBlue

What about McGarrys workmanlike team who won the 2nd Division in 1968 on 18:32 - Oct 23 by PJH

Thanks-a lot of it is my memory being jogged by reference to my many ITFC related football books.

Have you ever thought of writing a book? "My life as a Town fan" or something more catchy. I love your posts on here. So many great memories.
What about McGarrys workmanlike team who won the 2nd Division in 1968 on 18:50 - Oct 23 with 1823 viewsPJH

What about McGarrys workmanlike team who won the 2nd Division in 1968 on 18:37 - Oct 23 by IpswichBoyBlue

Have you ever thought of writing a book? "My life as a Town fan" or something more catchy. I love your posts on here. So many great memories.

Never thought of writing a book.

I just content myself with posting on here and boring everyone on 28th April each year with my memories of the season that culminated on that date in 1962.

I was born at the right time to be a follower of ITFC and I was lucky to be born to ITFC supporting mum and dad.

I do love it when somebody starts a thread that enables me to wallow in nostalgia though.
What about McGarrys workmanlike team who won the 2nd Division in 1968 on 18:54 - Oct 23 with 1818 viewsPJH

What about McGarrys workmanlike team who won the 2nd Division in 1968 on 18:35 - Oct 23 by WeWereZombies

Just as well, we would never have got a couple of goals past them with four keepers...

Yes Alec Stock was their manager then I think, quite a revolutionary tactic 43211 which I think derived from an idea by Manfred Mann.
What about McGarrys workmanlike team who won the 2nd Division in 1968 on 19:00 - Oct 23 with 1811 viewsIpswichBoyBlue

What about McGarrys workmanlike team who won the 2nd Division in 1968 on 18:50 - Oct 23 by PJH

Never thought of writing a book.

I just content myself with posting on here and boring everyone on 28th April each year with my memories of the season that culminated on that date in 1962.

I was born at the right time to be a follower of ITFC and I was lucky to be born to ITFC supporting mum and dad.

I do love it when somebody starts a thread that enables me to wallow in nostalgia though.

I am a little younger, but agree. Blessed to be a Town supporter. Unfortunately our younger Blues will never have such times to look back on. Our time in the top flight back then was truly amazing.
What about McGarrys workmanlike team who won the 2nd Division in 1968 on 20:54 - Oct 23 with 1741 viewsBluespeed225

'Jonnororke', first player i could name as a 4 year old! All one word, easy to say! I've got one of those 'Football League Review' programme pullouts with a grreat pic of that side. McGarry got the work ethic back by all accounts, no mess manager?
What about McGarrys workmanlike team who won the 2nd Division in 1968 on 14:38 - Oct 24 with 1544 viewsMerthyrblue

In the following summer I knocked on the door of O'Rourke and Morris's house to get their autographs. They both lived in Chantry (off Bridgewater Drive). They obliged and were very polite to me. Different times eh?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024