Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Covid aerosols 08:54 - Oct 24 with 731 viewsPendejo

Have been thinking about aerial transmission of covid and effectiveness of masks.

The other day on my daily exercise a female jogger passed going on opposite direction and I could smell her perfume for a good few seconds after she passed.

This morning on Bakerloo Line, some fella got on a few meters to my left them moved further away, but again I could smell his cologne for quite a few seconds after he boarded the train.

Hopefully this is just because aren't is lighter than covid so just permeated better, but it has added a layer of paranoia that didn't previously exist.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Covid aerosols on 09:05 - Oct 24 with 695 viewshoppy

I thought that was going to be another post about Trump when I read the subject line...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Covid aerosols on 09:48 - Oct 24 with 635 viewsNthQldITFC

The perfume you can smell will, I am pretty sure, be in the gas phase rather than droplets, much smaller than aerosols containing virus, and as such you would expect the perfume to go straight through the mask.

The mask will definitely be offering you and those around you significant protection, so stick with it and all the other sensible precautions to minimise your risk.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Covid aerosols on 10:35 - Oct 24 with 589 viewspimballwizard

Covid aerosols on 09:05 - Oct 24 by hoppy

I thought that was going to be another post about Trump when I read the subject line...

Ah ha which reminds me of an absolute classic from "not the nine o.clock news "

The late Mel Smith and Mr.Bean.

Covid aerosols on 10:35 - Oct 24 with 590 viewsGuthrum

Additionally, the perfume/cologne smells are not coming out of their owners' mouths and noses, as any Covid-carrying droplets/aerosols would be. If you could smell their bad breath or identify the brand of toothpaste, that would be of more concern.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Covid aerosols on 11:51 - Oct 24 with 542 viewsfactual_blue

I thought you'd found somewhere that actually sold covid in an aerosol can.

#abitdisappointed

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Covid aerosols on 12:45 - Oct 24 with 480 viewsNthQldITFC

Covid aerosols on 11:51 - Oct 24 by factual_blue

I thought you'd found somewhere that actually sold covid in an aerosol can.

#abitdisappointed

CFC-free one trusts?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Covid aerosols on 12:51 - Oct 24 with 480 viewsfactual_blue

Covid aerosols on 12:45 - Oct 24 by NthQldITFC

CFC-free one trusts?

One man, Thomas Midgely Jnr, is responsible through his discoveries and inventions for much of the world's pollution. Single-handedly he developed

1. The CFC marketed as Freon used widely in refrigeration; and
2. The process for adding lead to petrol.

In a fine example of hubris, one of other inventions killed him. He fell victim to polio and developed a pulley system to get himself out of bed. He got tangled up in it and strangled himself to death.

#notittering

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Covid aerosols on 13:28 - Oct 24 with 441 viewsEdwardStone

Covid aerosols on 12:51 - Oct 24 by factual_blue

One man, Thomas Midgely Jnr, is responsible through his discoveries and inventions for much of the world's pollution. Single-handedly he developed

1. The CFC marketed as Freon used widely in refrigeration; and
2. The process for adding lead to petrol.

In a fine example of hubris, one of other inventions killed him. He fell victim to polio and developed a pulley system to get himself out of bed. He got tangled up in it and strangled himself to death.

#notittering

Tres droll and very informative....thanks for sharing

On an historical note, the addition of lead to petrol allowed aeroplane engines to develop more power

In 1939 and early 1940 the new generation of RAF fighters ran on 87 octane fuel. They were outclassed by their German opponents

The USA allowed supply of 100 octane fuel in mid 1940, just in time for the air battle that summer. This new heavily leaded fuel, along with some other developments, allowed the Merlin engines in RAF fighters to match the performance of the German fighter planes

The USA then supplied 150 octane fuel later in the War which further increased engine performance albeit with the risk of the engine melting

I'm not sure that the outcome of the war would have been the same without Mr Midgley's contribution
Login to get fewer ads

Covid aerosols on 13:39 - Oct 24 with 426 viewsMeadowlark

Look on the bright side. You haven't lost your sense of smell!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024