Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Caught in two minds 18:36 - Oct 24 with 2805 viewsJDAndCoke

Having taken an hour to digest the game and calm down I'm caught in two minds.

On one hand I thought the performance was much better than Donny and these two away games were always going to be tough (the build up to Donny was far from ideal and Lincoln are one of the most in form teams currently). I also thought the team selection today was as good a team as we could have picked based on players available...

On the other hand we cannot keep losing to direct rivals. Yes today was a very even game but we still find a way to lose it. It happened so often last year and we need to break the habit whether we play well or not. I see comments such as we need 9 points out of the next 4 (Gillingham, Crewe, Sunderland and Shrewsbury). In theory I agree, however if the loss is to Sunderland then we again drop points to a direct rival.

I think Lambert criticism today is a little harsh too. Such a level game, both sides had chances and good spells. One unnecessary foul and the game is gone. Not sure you can really blame PL for that as we'd all have taken 0-0 today I think (a point, clean sheet and a recovery from Tuesday)
Caught in two minds on 18:44 - Oct 24 with 2729 viewsIpswichBoyBlue

I expect 3 points every game. I know it isn't very likely, but that is the only amount I would take before kick off.
Caught in two minds on 18:46 - Oct 24 with 2701 viewsgroovyASH

I find it bizarre anybody can be stuck in two minds still. Nothing has changed from last season, we are heading for another mid table finish, only this time the damage to the club is going to be far, far worse.

Poll: Will you renew your season ticket when Evans does the annual end of season beg?

Caught in two minds on 18:46 - Oct 24 with 2703 viewsSomethingBlue

Fair post I'd say. We have to start winning these games though, or at least a percentage of them. Missing Downes/KVY/Jackson so much.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Caught in two minds on 18:56 - Oct 24 with 2637 viewsJDAndCoke

Caught in two minds on 18:46 - Oct 24 by groovyASH

I find it bizarre anybody can be stuck in two minds still. Nothing has changed from last season, we are heading for another mid table finish, only this time the damage to the club is going to be far, far worse.

Nothing changed from last season other than a clear pattern of play, players keeping the shirt after playing well, not re-arranging games for international weeks and new signings who have overall improved the team...
Caught in two minds on 18:58 - Oct 24 with 2616 viewsgroovyASH

Caught in two minds on 18:56 - Oct 24 by JDAndCoke

Nothing changed from last season other than a clear pattern of play, players keeping the shirt after playing well, not re-arranging games for international weeks and new signings who have overall improved the team...

Really, you really will commit to that in the last 8 games vs the pattern of the last 18 months?

Poll: Will you renew your season ticket when Evans does the annual end of season beg?

Caught in two minds on 19:03 - Oct 24 with 2582 viewsJDAndCoke

Caught in two minds on 18:58 - Oct 24 by groovyASH

Really, you really will commit to that in the last 8 games vs the pattern of the last 18 months?

Let's see how the season pans out shall we
Caught in two minds on 19:04 - Oct 24 with 2573 viewsgroovyASH

Caught in two minds on 19:03 - Oct 24 by JDAndCoke

Let's see how the season pans out shall we

Yes, let's!

Caught in two minds on 19:48 - Oct 24 with 2421 viewsmonty_radio

Caught in two minds on 18:56 - Oct 24 by JDAndCoke

I get this was a tongue-in-cheek response to a previous post, but there seems to be unfolding something which is indeed so last year: our better organsation takes us more neatly and consistently to the edge of the final third, but then, the last bit is largely the same i.e. few direct opportunities; while any half-chances pass without ever looking like occasionally being taken.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Login to get fewer ads

Caught in two minds on 20:00 - Oct 24 with 2358 viewsjayessess

Arguably Doncaster was less worrying than today. Sometimes you have a day where a ricochet goes against you, you make a few mistakes, everything spirals and you get a hiding. Today we mostly kept our focus and shape, kept our heads for most of the game, but still looked rubbish.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Caught in two minds on 20:04 - Oct 24 with 2336 viewsJDAndCoke

Caught in two minds on 19:48 - Oct 24 by monty_radio

I get this was a tongue-in-cheek response to a previous post, but there seems to be unfolding something which is indeed so last year: our better organsation takes us more neatly and consistently to the edge of the final third, but then, the last bit is largely the same i.e. few direct opportunities; while any half-chances pass without ever looking like occasionally being taken.

Agreed that we need to be more clinical in front of goal but I don't believe Hawkins was brought in to be our main striker. We need Norwood and Jackson pronto
Caught in two minds on 20:08 - Oct 24 with 2314 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The OP is fairly spot on in my opinion.

Taken in isolation, this was a hard-fought game which we lost mainly to a controversial decision. The fact we lost our heads at the end is a concern but it happens sometimes.

However, in the context that this is the best we have done in any of our games against sides in the top 8 of this league is the bigger concern. However we do it, we need to find ways to win some of these games and at least not to lose most of them.

On reflection the difference between the two teams today was one side being a bit more savvy. We need to learn to be that savvy and learn quickly.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Caught in two minds on 20:12 - Oct 24 with 2291 viewspointofblue

Caught in two minds on 20:08 - Oct 24 by Nthsuffolkblue

Taken in isolation, this was a hard-fought game which we lost mainly to a controversial decision. The fact we lost our heads at the end is a concern but it happens sometimes.

However, in the context that this is the best we have done in any of our games against sides in the top 8 of this league is the bigger concern. However we do it, we need to find ways to win some of these games and at least not to lose most of them.

On reflection the difference between the two teams today was one side being a bit more savvy. We need to learn to be that savvy and learn quickly.

"Taken in isolation, this was a hard-fought game which we lost mainly to a controversial decision. The fact we lost our heads at the end is a concern but it happens sometimes."

We've lost our heads twice in five days - a mental collapse at Doncaster followed by the disciplinary shambles today.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Caught in two minds on 20:12 - Oct 24 with 2290 viewsJDAndCoke

Caught in two minds on 20:00 - Oct 24 by jayessess

Arguably Doncaster was less worrying than today. Sometimes you have a day where a ricochet goes against you, you make a few mistakes, everything spirals and you get a hiding. Today we mostly kept our focus and shape, kept our heads for most of the game, but still looked rubbish.

To say that we were rubbish today is harsh. Not quite as easy on the eye as previous games but had it not been for giving away a silly penalty, we'd have come away from a very tough away day with a point/clean sheet forgetting about the Donny loss and calling it a perfect away performance.
Caught in two minds on 21:04 - Oct 24 with 2161 viewsbackwaywhen

Caught in two minds on 20:12 - Oct 24 by JDAndCoke

To say that we were rubbish today is harsh. Not quite as easy on the eye as previous games but had it not been for giving away a silly penalty, we'd have come away from a very tough away day with a point/clean sheet forgetting about the Donny loss and calling it a perfect away performance.

The main problem is we still have a soft under belly , any slight hint of pressure and me make silly errors that ultimately cost us points , this then replicates over the next few games and beyond, we have to toughen up all over the pitch .
Caught in two minds on 21:22 - Oct 24 with 2080 viewsjayessess

Caught in two minds on 20:12 - Oct 24 by JDAndCoke

But that's kind of my point, really. Today went according to plan, more or less. No major screw ups for most of the game. We played, apparently, according to Lambert's instructions. Yet we offered very little threat to Lincoln, never looked like we had a plan to actually beat them, beyond hoping a set piece came off. Coming away with a tough point would've marked the ceiling of our possible achievements for the day. Which, frankly, is pretty rubbish.

Caught in two minds on 21:31 - Oct 24 with 2055 viewsPlums

Caught in two minds on 20:08 - Oct 24 by Nthsuffolkblue

This Lincoln team has been completely rebuilt by Appleton. My mum’s an ardent fan and tells me only Anderson remains from the Cowleys’ first team. They’ve gelled quickly and by the sounds of it, more than matched our squad that this manager has had for 18 months. He’s just not up to it.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Caught in two minds on 21:52 - Oct 24 with 1994 viewsJDAndCoke

Caught in two minds on 21:22 - Oct 24 by jayessess

But that's kind of my point, really. Today went according to plan, more or less. No major screw ups for most of the game. We played, apparently, according to Lambert's instructions. Yet we offered very little threat to Lincoln, never looked like we had a plan to actually beat them, beyond hoping a set piece came off. Coming away with a tough point would've marked the ceiling of our possible achievements for the day. Which, frankly, is pretty rubbish.

I agree and disagree in equal measure. We stuck to the plan and it worked against a good side who will be right up there, away from home. There were no major screw ups at all except one individual error which cost us.

"Never looked like we had a plan to actually beat them, beyond hoping a set piece came off" is a contradictory statement. Many teams rely heavily on set pieces to get them through season upon season. Lincoln had their chances (mainly in the first half) but so did we in Hawkins header cleared off the line and Edwards header that was easier to score than miss.
Caught in two minds on 22:50 - Oct 24 with 1841 viewsjayessess

Caught in two minds on 21:52 - Oct 24 by JDAndCoke

I agree and disagree in equal measure. We stuck to the plan and it worked against a good side who will be right up there, away from home. There were no major screw ups at all except one individual error which cost us.

"Never looked like we had a plan to actually beat them, beyond hoping a set piece came off" is a contradictory statement. Many teams rely heavily on set pieces to get them through season upon season. Lincoln had their chances (mainly in the first half) but so did we in Hawkins header cleared off the line and Edwards header that was easier to score than miss.

Hoping a set piece comes off is a hope, not a plan.

Must be nice to have a manager who can turn a small club from a mid-table team to promotion contenders over the course of one Summer, rather than what we've got.

Caught in two minds on 22:52 - Oct 24 with 1824 viewsmrshallisfit

Caught in two minds on 20:04 - Oct 24 by JDAndCoke

Agreed that we need to be more clinical in front of goal but I don't believe Hawkins was brought in to be our main striker. We need Norwood and Jackson pronto

If we are waiting on those two then we are completely f#cked.
Caught in two minds on 23:50 - Oct 24 with 1724 viewsmattyhollandsirish

To be fair, we couldn't have got much worse than the second half at Doncaster so the bar was set pretty low. Having said that, we started very slowly today so gave it a good go and could have easily been behind early on. Much better second half and did boss the ball without really doing anything with it. Agree team selection couldn't really be argued with.

For me, I'm not sure Lincoln are a rival, they've had a good start, but they've also lost to Bristol Rovers and scrapped past a poor Blackpool side so if they're a near rival, then I think we are in trouble. Can't see them being a Sunderland, Posh, Pompey, Hull etc over the season.

I think the main issue with Lambert today in particular is the post match comments given that like you say, there wasn't much in the game but he makes it sound like we're playing amazingly well.
Caught in two minds on 09:25 - Oct 25 with 1489 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Caught in two minds on 21:52 - Oct 24 by JDAndCoke

“We stuck to the plan and it worked”

Well it didn’t did it, as we lost the game

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024