Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The game was close and we were excellent 08:51 - Oct 25 with 997 viewsMullet

While I'm no great fan of xG and stuff like that, the difference here is stark. Even if you couldn't see with your own eyes, it's pretty clear we just gave the game away. If we are going to play Hawkins then the wingers and CMs really need to start shooting more often at every opportunity.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

The game was close and we were excellent on 08:58 - Oct 25 with 937 viewsDennyx4

The front three does not have enough threat - one of the wide players needs to stay up the pitch, and give the opposition something to think about.

We also lack any pace, without Jackson
The game was close and we were excellent on 09:05 - Oct 25 with 896 viewsChrisd

Hawkins seemed completely isolated at times yesterday, the wide players and any lack of a CM getting forward to support him was clearly exposed. Once again, it was a game that very much reflected our play from last season. If you aren't going to trouble the opposition keeper PL, regardless of the amount of possession, then you aren't going to win games, soon as we went behind it's game over and that was very much us during the last campaign. The possession is in areas of pitch which the opposition are quite happy for you to have it, our passing was slow and laboured and we loose any attacking intent with this incessant need to 'over pass' whether that's backwards or side-ways which allows the opposition to get back in their defensive positions. These last two games have further highlighted these deficiencies again.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2020 9:05]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

The game was close and we were excellent on 09:07 - Oct 25 with 880 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

The game was close and we were excellent on 08:58 - Oct 25 by Dennyx4

The front three does not have enough threat - one of the wide players needs to stay up the pitch, and give the opposition something to think about.

Unfortunately for the front three they get about 2 touches every 15 minutes because the ball is mainly just swept along the back line for 10 minutes.

Look good on possession stats but we do nothing with it.

Still look poor at moving through the thirds from the back.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

The game was close and we were excellent on 09:07 - Oct 25 with 880 viewsMullet

The game was close and we were excellent on 08:58 - Oct 25 by Dennyx4

I wonder if we will move Lankester into the middle like he played in the EFL cup against Gillingham and give Bennetts a start? It's not really pace, it's the speed of thought. Nolan slowed play down every time. He needed an extra touch or to turn and check what his options are.

Only Andre consistently hits passes on the fly because he's already looked up and seen his best options. Bishop was running into 3 or 4 players and the ref was slack not to book at least 2 of them when they chopped him down early in the 1st. However, we just don't shoot.

Drill the ball low into the 10 yards in front of goal and you will score once in a while.

The game was close and we were excellent on 09:15 - Oct 25 with 833 viewsDennyx4

The game was close and we were excellent on 09:07 - Oct 25 by Mullet

I wonder if we will move Lankester into the middle like he played in the EFL cup against Gillingham and give Bennetts a start? It's not really pace, it's the speed of thought. Nolan slowed play down every time. He needed an extra touch or to turn and check what his options are.

Only Andre consistently hits passes on the fly because he's already looked up and seen his best options. Bishop was running into 3 or 4 players and the ref was slack not to book at least 2 of them when they chopped him down early in the 1st. However, we just don't shoot.

Drill the ball low into the 10 yards in front of goal and you will score once in a while.

Just not convinced we have the players to play this system up top.

Drinan has looked the best in that role, and he has hardly played any senior football at all.

I am sure this is why we changed formation so many times last season, to get two forwards on the pitch, with both Jackson & Norwood not being able to play the lone striker role.

Hawkins could / should be a bit better at the role, but poor touch from him yesterday (wind may have played a part). He also does not look mobile enough for the role - It is a very physical / energy sapping role.

Agree Lankester may make a difference in midfield, we do need to increase the tempo of play. It is too easy to defend against us at present. As soon as a team goes ahead and defends deep, we do not have an answer.
The game was close and we were excellent on 09:24 - Oct 25 with 791 viewsMullet

The game was close and we were excellent on 09:15 - Oct 25 by Dennyx4

Just not convinced we have the players to play this system up top.

Drinan has looked the best in that role, and he has hardly played any senior football at all.

I am sure this is why we changed formation so many times last season, to get two forwards on the pitch, with both Jackson & Norwood not being able to play the lone striker role.

Hawkins could / should be a bit better at the role, but poor touch from him yesterday (wind may have played a part). He also does not look mobile enough for the role - It is a very physical / energy sapping role.

Agree Lankester may make a difference in midfield, we do need to increase the tempo of play. It is too easy to defend against us at present. As soon as a team goes ahead and defends deep, we do not have an answer.

The problem is Hawkins has been rushed back and as you say we miss Drinan. I think Jackson would terrify a lot of teams. I'd write Norwood off, I've never been a big fan, but you can forgive the Inbetweeners antics from him when he's scoring. To do what he has done is unforgivable from a football perspective. He needs to go back to League 2 and get himself right, he's just not good enough to be dominant in this division with his non-league lifestyle.

I just hope we see more of Dobra now, maybe he was right to be so bloody minded and stay?

The game was close and we were excellent on 09:25 - Oct 25 with 777 viewspointofblue

The game was close and we were excellent on 09:24 - Oct 25 by Mullet

The problem is Hawkins has been rushed back and as you say we miss Drinan. I think Jackson would terrify a lot of teams. I'd write Norwood off, I've never been a big fan, but you can forgive the Inbetweeners antics from him when he's scoring. To do what he has done is unforgivable from a football perspective. He needs to go back to League 2 and get himself right, he's just not good enough to be dominant in this division with his non-league lifestyle.

I just hope we see more of Dobra now, maybe he was right to be so bloody minded and stay?

Bennetts will be called upon before Dobra.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

The game was close and we were excellent on 09:45 - Oct 25 with 705 viewsstrikalite

Would love to see our stats on shots from outside of the box in the last two seasons, actually, make that the last five seasons...
Login to get fewer ads

The game was close and we were excellent on 11:03 - Oct 25 with 592 viewsChrisd

The game was close and we were excellent on 09:45 - Oct 25 by strikalite

Would love to see our stats on shots from outside of the box in the last two seasons, actually, make that the last five seasons...

This link might be useful for you strikalite, although it doesn't appear to break down shots from outside the box, it does provide a lot of stats you can adjust and compare with previous seasons.

https://fbref.com/en/squads/b74092de/2019-2020/matchlogs/all_comps/shooting/Ipsw

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

The game was close and we were excellent on 11:15 - Oct 25 with 556 viewsstrikalite

The game was close and we were excellent on 11:03 - Oct 25 by Chrisd

This link might be useful for you strikalite, although it doesn't appear to break down shots from outside the box, it does provide a lot of stats you can adjust and compare with previous seasons.

https://fbref.com/en/squads/b74092de/2019-2020/matchlogs/all_comps/shooting/Ipsw

Great link thanks for that, will take a good look at that later...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024