Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I watched the game with Radio Lincoln commentary.. 08:59 - Oct 26 with 3707 viewsartsbossbeard

Not sure who the ex-pro was they had co-commentating, however, he was quite scathing on Town's style throughout.

Granted, I know a bias is to be expected, however, you couldn't argue with the "slow and ponderous build up" jibes.

Also, this playing out from the back "because we can" stuff is all well and good but surely the aim of it is to commit the opposition forward thus creating the space for a ball over the top or into the #10? I don't mean a big lump up pitch from the keeper or centre back to nobody either.

Couple of bad days at the office with a couple of chances to put things right now though.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

As you say, nobody can argue with.... on 09:06 - Oct 26 with 3168 viewsBloots

....the "slow and ponderous" comment.

It's been a problem for a number of years now.

When you compare the "pace" of our passing with other teams (even the few that are below us) you can plainly see the issues with our "style".

We have some decent enough technical players, but the ease that opposition teams can get players behind the ball is laughable.

Teams must love playing against us, they get so much time to organise themselves it's ridiculous.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

I watched the game with Radio Lincoln commentary.. on 09:08 - Oct 26 with 3136 viewstextbackup

watching a goal kick result in Holy passing to either Wilson or toto in our area scares me.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

As you say, nobody can argue with.... on 09:08 - Oct 26 with 3142 viewsSomethingBlue

As you say, nobody can argue with.... on 09:06 - Oct 26 by Bloots

When you compare the "pace" of our passing with other teams (even the few that are below us) you can plainly see the issues with our "style".

We have some decent enough technical players, but the ease that opposition teams can get players behind the ball is laughable.

Teams must love playing against us, they get so much time to organise themselves it's ridiculous.

I agree with this on the whole — but at the same time it doesn't help us that our players with any genuine pace (Bennetts aside) are unavailable, and would probably make a big difference in turning opponents around once they've been drawn out.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

I watched the game with Radio Lincoln commentary.. on 09:10 - Oct 26 with 3120 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Holy to Wilson to Nsiala to Wilson to Nsiala to Chambers to Nsiala to Nolan to Nsiala to Holy...... and repeat, the future is bright.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

I watched the game with Radio Lincoln commentary.. on 09:12 - Oct 26 with 3114 viewsGeoffSentence

The difference in pace when the two teams got the ball was stark. Lincoln surged forward at speed and as such generally looked much more threatening than us. When we got it it was passed around the back ineffectually for long periods, I guess the idea might be to draw the opposition out and to create space, but Lincoln weren't playing that game they just got everyone behind the ball and watched it. Any decent manager who watched this performance will do the same and we will spend the rest of the season watching Holy play it to Nsiala to the nearest marked man back to Nsiala and back to Holy.

It's going to be a long, dull, painful season.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

As you say, nobody can argue with.... on 09:13 - Oct 26 with 3100 viewsPlums

As you say, nobody can argue with.... on 09:06 - Oct 26 by Bloots

This was always one of my issues with the version of Mick that we ended up with. His Wolves teams were always fast, aggressive and direct. Whenever we played them, we always looked fragile in comparison. He never brought us that brand of football which would have been the counterbalance to the inevitable defence first approach. That one season with Murphy got close but it never really ran throughout the team as an ethos. I’d have been quite happy watching that. No manager has really turned us into a fearsome attacking force for at least a decade.

Any team can knock it around at the back with no penetration, the good ones turn that possession into being brave going forwards.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2020 9:17]

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

I watched the game with Radio Lincoln commentary.. on 09:14 - Oct 26 with 3094 viewsMullet

That pass Lankester hit was the most incisive move of the game wasn’t it and it went straight into a cup de sac.

As I said yesterday we need to shoot earlier and more often. We have the players to put more on target than say Rochdale did and the players to follow it in. Teams at this level will struggle with a few Uhlenbeeks a game across their feet and we will score from them or put teams on their heels more often.

I just wish we could hit a set piece. It’s a joke no one has tested the keeper yet. Freddie had one that was so slow as to be no threat.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

I watched the game with Radio Lincoln commentary.. on 09:14 - Oct 26 with 3081 viewsWickets

I watched the game with Radio Lincoln commentary.. on 09:08 - Oct 26 by textbackup

watching a goal kick result in Holy passing to either Wilson or toto in our area scares me.

Yer me too and to be honest every time Toto goes near the ball if there is an attacker in sight i hide behind the sofa !!
Login to get fewer ads

As you say, nobody can argue with.... on 09:15 - Oct 26 with 3066 viewsPendejo

As you say, nobody can argue with.... on 09:13 - Oct 26 by Plums

This was always one of my issues with the version of Mick that we ended up with. His Wolves teams were always fast, aggressive and direct. Whenever we played them, we always looked fragile in comparison. He never brought us that brand of football which would have been the counterbalance to the inevitable defence first approach. That one season with Murphy got close but it never really ran throughout the team as an ethos. I’d have been quite happy watching that. No manager has really turned us into a fearsome attacking force for at least a decade.

Any team can knock it around at the back with no penetration, the good ones turn that possession into being brave going forwards.

One assumes this is what Fraser and Oar were brought in for, which sadly failed.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

I guess my gripe.... on 09:17 - Oct 26 with 3049 viewsBloots

As you say, nobody can argue with.... on 09:08 - Oct 26 by SomethingBlue

I agree with this on the whole — but at the same time it doesn't help us that our players with any genuine pace (Bennetts aside) are unavailable, and would probably make a big difference in turning opponents around once they've been drawn out.

....(amongst many of them) is more around the mental speed as well as physical speed.

It appears to be a very planned mindset that the players are in.

Pass the ball, receive the ball, take a touch, take another touch, assess the options, take no risk, pass it sideways if you can, if not pass it back to the player who gave it to you.

....and repeat.

I genuinely think that the majority of passes made by our defence and midfield are just passing it back to the player that gave i to them.

I noticed it on Saturday, it's infuriating.

I watched the game with Radio Lincoln commentary.. on 09:19 - Oct 26 with 3020 viewsChrisd

Didn't they also say something along the lines of we play, 'possession football without any threat'? Pretty hard to disagree with that statement too.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

I guess my gripe.... on 09:20 - Oct 26 with 2996 viewsGeoffSentence

I guess my gripe.... on 09:17 - Oct 26 by Bloots

....(amongst many of them) is more around the mental speed as well as physical speed.

Pass the ball, receive the ball, take a touch, take another touch, assess the options, take no risk, pass it sideways if you can, if not pass it back to the player who gave it to you.

....and repeat.

I genuinely think that the majority of passes made by our defence and midfield are just passing it back to the player that gave i to them.

A lot of that was because Toto played a simple ball to the nearest marked midfielder, the only option they had was to give it straight back.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

As you say, nobody can argue with.... on 09:21 - Oct 26 with 2990 viewsMullet

There was at least a season either side with Murphy though and he invested heavily in Prem flair players to supply that given the finances here meant we could only afford Oar et al. The one time he did push the boat out for that sort of player was Stewart and it backfired massively.

I really think posts like this show how people forget how good we were at times and what we actually did under MM to teams.

Our lack of attacking threat is..... on 09:21 - Oct 26 with 2996 viewsBloots

I watched the game with Radio Lincoln commentary.. on 09:14 - Oct 26 by Mullet

That pass Lankester hit was the most incisive move of the game wasn’t it and it went straight into a cup de sac.

As I said yesterday we need to shoot earlier and more often. We have the players to put more on target than say Rochdale did and the players to follow it in. Teams at this level will struggle with a few Uhlenbeeks a game across their feet and we will score from them or put teams on their heels more often.

I just wish we could hit a set piece. It’s a joke no one has tested the keeper yet. Freddie had one that was so slow as to be no threat.

....perfectly summarised by the fact that after each game we talk about a particular pass as an example of what we can do.

We really shouldn't have to only have one example of an attacking threat.

As an aside (and whilst it's an arguable stat) we are down to 11th in the xG comparison table, showing that we really aren't the attacking threat that some would have us believe.

I watched the game with Radio Lincoln commentary.. on 09:22 - Oct 26 with 2999 viewsitfcjoe

I thought Jon Nolan was absolutely appalling for this yesterday, the game almosts ground to a standstill everytime he got on the ball - would take 5-6 touches when one or two was enough. Was infuriating to watch - he's reverted back to the ultra safe player of last season

Did we get a huge boll.cking on Tuesday and everyone playing with fear again? It looked like it

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I guess my gripe.... on 09:25 - Oct 26 with 2945 viewsOsborneOneNil

....and repeat.

Is it as bad as last year? Before the last 2 games/defeats the general consensus was that we were playing a few levels up on last years stuff. Dozzell, Bish etc.

I'm Lambert out, btw.
I watched the game with Radio Lincoln commentary.. on 09:30 - Oct 26 with 2928 viewsSamWhiteUK

I watched the game with Radio Lincoln commentary.. on 09:22 - Oct 26 by itfcjoe

I thought Jon Nolan was absolutely appalling for this yesterday, the game almosts ground to a standstill everytime he got on the ball - would take 5-6 touches when one or two was enough. Was infuriating to watch - he's reverted back to the ultra safe player of last season

Did we get a huge boll.cking on Tuesday and everyone playing with fear again? It looked like it

Apart from Edwards, Bish and to some extent Dozzell, the player on the ball was inevitably standing still once they'd received it. They'd get the ball in space, but rather than using said space to progress, or turn and face goal at the least, they'd stop the ball dead and look for the next pointless pass.

Conversely, every time Lincoln got the ball (usually from us cocking up), they were constantly pressing towards our goal; they'd be around the edge of our box within 4 to 5 passes.
I watched the game with Radio Lincoln commentary.. on 09:32 - Oct 26 with 2917 viewsMullet

I watched the game with Radio Lincoln commentary.. on 09:22 - Oct 26 by itfcjoe

I agree and said the same to Snr. There was one moment where Brenner called it a 360, but he essentially nudged the ball around whilst looking for a pass when he had Edwards and Ward almost stood on him and defenders squeezing them out, it was baffling.

I guess my gripe.... on 09:33 - Oct 26 with 2901 viewsSomethingBlue

....and repeat.

Yep I get that. When we do speed things up, releasing the ball quickly, it looks very good. But doesn't happen enough in games. I wonder if that will change (a) when we get our more progressive passing centre-back/s on the field and (b) the longer we play this way, which at least we seem wed to. We lost an entire year last season playing without a discernible style.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

As you say, nobody can argue with.... on 09:34 - Oct 26 with 2890 viewsdavblue

TBF that's where some investment comes in also you have to bring in players before they become household names otherwise they are too rich for us.

Mick wasn't able to go and get the players to play that style, we had to rely on loans to fill those positions once Tabb and Anderson had moved on. Although they were never that type of wide player they used to tuck in and make us hard to play through which has been our most effective way of playing for some years.

Those 6 months up until the new year of Murphy's season we were a good watch, we didn't play fantastic football but we were entertaining.
I watched the game with Radio Lincoln commentary.. on 10:30 - Oct 26 with 2694 viewsPJH

I watched the game with Radio Lincoln commentary.. on 09:08 - Oct 26 by textbackup

Yeah, whilst we have those three there opposition will start kicking for goal kicks as an attacking option.
Our lack of attacking threat is..... on 11:12 - Oct 26 with 2539 viewsBlueBadger

Our lack of attacking threat is..... on 09:21 - Oct 26 by Bloots

....perfectly summarised by the fact that after each game we talk about a particular pass as an example of what we can do.

We really shouldn't have to only have one example of an attacking threat.

As an aside (and whilst it's an arguable stat) we are down to 11th in the xG comparison table, showing that we really aren't the attacking threat that some would have us believe.

It's alright, our top notch physios will soon have Judge fit and he'll get us firing again.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I watched the game with Radio Lincoln commentary.. on 11:17 - Oct 26 with 2510 viewsBlueBadger

I watched the game with Radio Lincoln commentary.. on 09:10 - Oct 26 by TheTrueBlue1878

Holy to Wilson to Nsiala to Wilson to Nsiala to Chambers to Nsiala to Nolan to Nsiala to Holy...... and repeat, the future is bright.

He just gets it. The football is better now.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I watched the game with Radio Lincoln commentary.. on 11:18 - Oct 26 with 2510 viewsChrisd

I watched the game with Radio Lincoln commentary.. on 09:32 - Oct 26 by Mullet

I agree and said the same to Snr. There was one moment where Brenner called it a 360, but he essentially nudged the ball around whilst looking for a pass when he had Edwards and Ward almost stood on him and defenders squeezing them out, it was baffling.

We really lack that box to box midfielder and you look at Nolan’s 5k running times over the summer that he posted, those were seriously good and that shows he’s got the physical fitness to get up and beyond Hawkins, but he seems to go in his shell when he plays. Christ, there were times he was playing behind Dozzell on Saturday!! Nolan is simply infuriating, it’s like he’s scared to really blossom, so he plays it safe as it’s the easier thing to do.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2020 11:43]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

I watched the game with Radio Lincoln commentary.. on 11:45 - Oct 26 with 2430 viewsipswichtillidie

We can’t play out from the back because the two centre halves can’t play football. Neither knows how to step out and play a pass. It’s either sideways or back to the keeper who also can’t play with his feet. It’s slow and tedious and boring to watch. Then you had Nolan who also looked liked he was playing for stats. Safest easiest pass available.

Gav

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024